The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 13 March 2021, 06:06 PM   #1
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

When will GS release a thinner Spring Drive movement?

I saw the news about the release of the new and thinner 9RA5 that was put into a diver.

https://www.grand-seiko.com/us-en/ne...se/20200305-10

I’m waiting for GS to release a thinner spring drive movement and get their watch into the 12mm or less range.

Does anyone have news about that and when it might happen?
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2021, 07:17 PM   #2
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Are you looking specifically for a dive watch under 12mm? Unfortunately I’m not up on all of the various flavors of Spring Drives. But I recently picked up this SBGY003, which is 10.2mm. There’s even one currently being offered on a steel bracelet by one of the TRF trusted sellers. Spring Drive technology is awesome. I never get tired of watching the smooth sweep of the second hand. Best of luck on your quest!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 24BDD368-F7C9-4304-8D94-7F1AFB6FE9BF.jpeg (186.2 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpeg 14BC1CD1-E6B1-48E0-90DF-919F715E9E4B.jpeg (149.2 KB, 124 views)
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2021, 11:03 PM   #3
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Seems pretty clear that GS’s divers will stay on the thicker side. Nothing wrong with that, and it makes for an interesting contrast with the zen of the Spring Drive, IMHO.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2021, 01:38 AM   #4
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
Are you looking specifically for a dive watch under 12mm? Unfortunately I’m not up on all of the various flavors of Spring Drives. But I recently picked up this SBGY003, which is 10.2mm. There’s even one currently being offered on a steel bracelet by one of the TRF trusted sellers. Spring Drive technology is awesome. I never get tired of watching the smooth sweep of the second hand. Best of luck on your quest!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Seems pretty clear that GS’s divers will stay on the thicker side. Nothing wrong with that, and it makes for an interesting contrast with the zen of the Spring Drive, IMHO.
Sorry - I should’ve been more clear.

Looking for a thinner watch in their Heritage collection, there’s a few I see at 12.5mm but rest are higher.

I was hoping GS puts the 9RA5 into a watch in the Heritage collection (or maybe that movement is just for the divers?) or comes up with a thinner spring drive movement that can slim down those watches.

Nice point about the SBGY003, I didn’t even realize GS had any spring drive watches in the 10mm range. That case size is amazing.

Agreed with you both about their diver’s being on the thicker side (though it feels like their divers are competing more with the deep sea than the sub in terms of thickness).
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2021, 05:52 AM   #5
dchang81
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

there's been rumors for years about slimmer cases besides the elegance manual wind versions. odd to me that they showcase their slimmer spring drive in a monster sized diver.
dchang81 is online now   Reply With Quote