The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 September 2024, 04:06 AM   #1
Paddydog52
"TRF" Member

Rudimentary future value

When the Submariner 16610LV Kermit came to the market in 2003, the price of the watch was £3,950. Its last list price before it was discontinued in 2010 had risen to £6,700, average price of the model is now around £12,000 so at worst even buyers who paid the top price in 2010 could double their money 14 years later.

Going by the above logic (if indeed there is any logic, these are rudimentary thoughts hence the title) if history is to be a guide or indication then come say 2031 the 126610LV Starbucks could be worth say £18,000 so anyone who paid £9,100 in 2020 could be looking at doubling their money (obviously that’s only on paper as with inflation etc you won’t have litterally made doubld your outlay11 years previously), you would imagine that anyone buying from an AD in 2031 (if it’s still in production then) will presumably pay around say £11,000? if Rolex continues to raise their prices, bearing that in mind I don’t think that £18,000 on the grey/nonAD/Rolex CPO (whichever one of those is the prominent pre owned market at that time) is unrealistic.

The green bezel/black dail Sub feels like it’s going to be a staple piece for Rolex moving forward, obviously it will be discontinued at some point, feels like it could be a number of years though until Rolex have a newer spec with regards to battery/functionality I would think, probably a good 5 years away although admittedly I’m not sure how often Rolex come out with enhanced battery life, movements, components etc
Paddydog52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2024, 04:18 AM   #2
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Interesting. However, it is a fully automatic movement. It is powered by your movement as you walk and swing your arms so no need to worry about battery life. Just the dreaded service every 10 years.
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2024, 04:28 AM   #3
rolex_DateJust
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes please!
Don’t know but I really don’t care about future value. I wear my watches on a day to day basis and if the market goes up on them, great, if not, great as well.

I haven’t seen a Rolex with a battery since the oysterquartz days so not sure what you’re referring to when you state “enhanced battery life”.
Old 4 September 2024, 04:48 AM   #4
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Much like my dog I live in the moment. I enjoy my watches today and today is the most valuable that they will ever be to me. I intend to do the same thing tomorrow.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2024, 06:10 AM   #5
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Enjoy them for what they are and enjoy them now. For me I’ve no interest in future values but as with most things values can go up as well as down
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2024, 06:13 AM   #6
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin of larchmont View Post
much like my dog i live in the moment. I enjoy my watches today and today is the most valuable that they will ever be to me. I intend to do the same thing tomorrow.

x2

♕126610 ♕126333
Breitling Avenger A17318
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2024, 06:36 AM   #7
Mystro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
Much like my dog I live in the moment. I enjoy my watches today and today is the most valuable that they will ever be to me. I intend to do the same thing tomorrow.

^^ That is a really great way of explaining it.
Old 4 September 2024, 06:47 AM   #8
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddydog52 View Post
126610LV Starbucks could be worth say £18,000 so anyone who paid £9,100 in 2020 could be looking at doubling their money
....until they try to sell it and realise that private sellers don't get business values becauses businesses have overheads and private buyers will justifiably beat them down, lots. When perceived value fuels greed and gouging there's only one loser in the long run.

I'll sell my 116610LV when I can easily get 100x what I paid for it, because that roughly equates to the joy I've had from of owning it, admiring it and using it for its intended purpose AKA wearing it.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2024, 06:52 AM   #9
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
admittedly I’m not sure how often Rolex come out with enhanced battery life, movements, components etc
176 posts and you are not aware that Rolex are mechanical?

Rolexatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2024, 07:00 AM   #10
johnliley

Quote:
Best thing I've heard all day. lol
Old 4 September 2024, 07:08 AM   #11
Paddydog52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexatlast View Post
176 posts and you are not aware that Rolex are mechanical?

My bad on that one, I was referring to the power reserve being extended or perhaps a superior steel or any of the components being improved upon
Old 4 September 2024, 08:00 AM   #12
yowlie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 pumpkin
I sold the least expensive LV of all time. Sales corner $4999 ANIB in my name. At that time, it was a worldwide recession and I needed a house down-payment. My point is that there was a dip. But it is also hard to predict. Nobody cared about rootbeer gmt's either. And You could get a fuchsia insert for $200. Pepsi 1675's were 3k. But not viewed as a great investment. They were cool, but they didn't catch fire. Two-tones had zero collectability . . . .
yowlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2024, 09:40 AM   #13
Paddydog52
"TRF" Member

Just checked and every standard SS Rolex submariner has increased in value, bi metal and PM ones have generally not performed well but the standard SS subs all have without exception so unless SS subs buck the trend and fall out of favour then should be fine, I guess it’s conceivable that Rolex could bring out a different model that impacts subs but really can’t see it as they have remained extremely popular since they first came out in the 1950’s so think there will always be a strong market for the standard SS sub
Old 4 September 2024, 09:42 AM   #14
Easy Rhino
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2-Line Sub & DJ41
What Rolex batteries? If this is a joke it's a poor one.
Easy Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2024, 09:59 AM   #15
MDR143
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR
Perhaps he means power reserve time. Ie they used to be 48 hours and are now 70.
MDR143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2024, 10:16 AM   #16
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
I’m with you … ARF ARF ARF
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2024, 08:47 PM   #17
Paddydog52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDR143 View Post
Perhaps he means power reserve time. Ie they used to be 48 hours and are now 70.
That is indeed what I was referring to.
Old 4 September 2024, 08:53 PM   #18
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Um. Thank you for checking?
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2024, 09:37 PM   #19
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
31 series were produced for about 30 years, so thinking Rolex will outright replace the 32s in five years is a tad unrealistic. This isn't the new car market. Rolex will improve on 32 series movements, sure, but they will probably be around for a long time.

I think it's a complete waste of time to speculate future monetary values. The graph could climb in a steady and predictable manner, or a few key celebrities may be seen with LVs and prices skyrocket. Rolex could do marginal 1-3% yearly price increases or they could do 10% like in 2022 and repeat that multiple times due to high demand.

Just enjoy the watch for what it is, a simple stainless steel automatic.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2024, 09:44 PM   #20
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Great watch and no issue with finding someone to buy it in the future. The price, up in the air.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2024, 11:37 PM   #21
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
FV is nothing I concern myself with. Wearing is the value to me.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2024, 11:42 PM   #22
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
That's way too much math for my taste.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2024, 11:50 PM   #23
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
feels like it could be a number of years though until Rolex have a newer spec with regards to battery/functionality I would think, probably a good 5 years away although admittedly I’m not sure how often Rolex come out with enhanced battery life, movements, components etc
A. Values again??? B. Battery life??? WTF??
Old 4 September 2024, 11:58 PM   #24
Yobber76

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
I have never bought any watch with the thought of future value. I wear each watch regardless of what I'm doing, nothing is a safe queen.

However, I will admit that one of the strong suits of Rolex, is that you can wear and enjoy your watch for years, and in most instances, (certainly with the popular models) you can sell it or trade it for at least what you paid for it, should you choose to do so.
I have never had another watch brand that came close to that. So if you like to trade and barter, Rolex is a great brand, especially if you buy at MSRP.
The idea that the grey market price is the price you can sell your watch as a private seller, is doubtful.
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 12:14 AM   #25
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996marty View Post
Enjoy them for what they are and enjoy them now. For me I’ve no interest in future values but as with most things values can go up as well as down
Have to agree but with many today Rolex watches are little more than ££€€$$ object things and little more.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 03:25 AM   #26
harvey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
When the Submariner 16610LV Kermit came to the market in 2003, the price of the watch was £3,950.Its last list price before it was discontinued in 2010 had risen to £6,700, average price of the model is now around £12,000 so at worst even buyers who paid the top price in 2010 could double their money 14 years later.

Going by the above logic (if indeed there is any logic, these are rudimentary thoughts hence the title) if history is to be a guide or indication then come say 2031 the 126610LV Starbucks could be worth say £18,000 so anyone who paid £9,100 in 2020 could be looking at doubling their money (obviously that’s only on paper as with inflation etc you won’t have litterally made doubld your outlay11 years previously), you would imagine that anyone buying from an AD in 2031 (if it’s still in production then) will presumably pay around say £11,000? if Rolex continues to raise their prices, bearing that in mind I don’t think that £18,000 on the grey/nonAD/Rolex CPO (whichever one of those is the prominent pre owned market at that time) is unrealistic.

The green bezel/black dail Sub feels like it’s going to be a staple piece for Rolex moving forward, obviously it will be discontinued at some point, feels like it could be a number of years though until Rolex have a newer spec with regards to battery/functionality I would think, probably a good 5 years away although admittedly I’m not sure how often Rolex come out with enhanced battery life, movements, components etc
I know it wasn’t £3950 in 2003 as I bought mine from an AD in September 2005 for £2650.