The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 9 October 2024, 08:09 AM   #1
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Black residue from steel bracelets

Note the black residue on my wrist, this is after a mtb ride wearing a watch with stainless steel bracelet. Today I was wearing a brand new watch(non Rolex)but it happens with my OPs, Seikos, Speedy, etc, anything with bracelet.
I wash my watches regularly with soap and water but always assumed it was dirt and grime deeply embedded between the links. But seeing this today on a watch's first wearing makes me think it's something about the steel itself, or some sort of reaction with my skin? Anybody experience anything similar?
I do not baby my watches, anything I own is rugged enough for cycling, the only one I rarely wear riding is my Daytona, it's just too shiny!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_6489.jpeg (193.1 KB, 473 views)
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2024, 08:31 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Stainless steel is self-oxidizing, that's what makes it "stainless". As it is exposed to the air, this protective film develops and does not allow the usual rust and other corrosives to get a foothold.

As anything rubs against it that film will rub off. This is the issue with caseback gaskets on early ss watches. The rubber rubs off the protective film and corrosion gets a foothold that, when it starts, needs to be arrested or it continues.

Your skin oils and lotions, as well as the rapid movements of some athletic adventures, rubs off that protective film too. Wash your watch afterwards to get your oils and lotions off the watch as well as your wrist. It won't do any good to wash it first.
Old 9 October 2024, 08:40 AM   #3
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Deja vu. I remember a similar thread with the same complaint.

My wife’s Datejust had the same residue after we got it back from the RSC service. We assumed it was leftover residue from the bracelet polishing. I put the bracelet in my ultrasonic cleaner, then rinsed it under the sink, and it never happened again. I took a photo of her wrist that I’ll try to find in my phone and share it.

Consider investing in an ultrasonic cleaner. While I’m not sure if it will solve your issue, it’s very affordable and the best tool for cleaning bracelets and jewelry.
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2024, 08:52 AM   #4
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Your watch is grubby.
Try cleaning the watch periodically with warm dish soap water and a very soft toothbrush to agitate between the links and make soapy bubbles. Then a rinse under warm water.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2024, 08:54 AM   #5
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
That’s one heckuva mark …,
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2024, 09:10 AM   #6
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Your watch is grubby.
Try cleaning the watch periodically with warm dish soap water and a very soft toothbrush to agitate between the links and make soapy bubbles. Then a rinse under warm water.
But today’s ride was with a brand new out of the box watch, its first time to be worn by a human. I think Tools explained it well.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2024, 02:46 PM   #7
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
I remember hearing back when I was taking guitar lessons that some people’s skin and natural oils are more corrosive to guitar strings than others and accelerate their wear. I have no science to back this up but it seemed to be common knowledge in the circles and forums I frequented back then.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2024, 04:09 PM   #8
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Stainless steel is self-oxidizing, that's what makes it "stainless". As it is exposed to the air, this protective film develops and does not allow the usual rust and other corrosives to get a foothold.

As anything rubs against it that film will rub off. This is the issue with caseback gaskets on early ss watches. The rubber rubs off the protective film and corrosion gets a foothold that, when it starts, needs to be arrested or it continues.

Your skin oils and lotions, as well as the rapid movements of some athletic adventures, rubs off that protective film too. Wash your watch afterwards to get your oils and lotions off the watch as well as your wrist. It won't do any good to wash it first.
Perfect answer
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2024, 06:00 PM   #9
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Walk to your dealer and if you trust him
Enough, ask for a bracelet ultrasonic deep cleanse
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2024, 06:17 PM   #10
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
But today’s ride was with a brand new out of the box watch, its first time to be worn by a human. I think Tools explained it well.
Ok.
So looking at the pic and given that you say it's a brand new watch fresh out of the box, it only leaves one possible logical conclusion if we assume your body doesn't have some kind of unique chemstry going on.
That is, there is a posibility that your bracelet has polishing compound residue coming out of it from between the links.

What i said still stands regarding cleaning as a means to work towards eliminating a variable or possibility.
Then re-evaluate going forward and help to come to the correct conclusion.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2024, 06:29 PM   #11
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
Deja vu. I remember a similar thread with the same complaint.

My wife’s Datejust had the same residue after we got it back from the RSC service. We assumed it was leftover residue from the bracelet polishing. I put the bracelet in my ultrasonic cleaner, then rinsed it under the sink, and it never happened again. I took a photo of her wrist that I’ll try to find in my phone and share it.

Consider investing in an ultrasonic cleaner. While I’m not sure if it will solve your issue, it’s very affordable and the best tool for cleaning bracelets and jewelry.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2024, 06:48 PM   #12
dandy
"TRF" Member

The watch just needs to be cleaned with water and soap. Most probably it is just dirt between links
dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2024, 06:55 PM   #13
Krash

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Something else could be going on with you I suppose, but this happened to me once. I took off my Seamaster and my wrist looked like that but not as bad. I just scrubbed both my watch and my wrist and it never happened again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2024, 07:01 PM   #14
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Geez, skin pigment amongst other things can contribute to such.
Old 9 October 2024, 11:44 PM   #15
Auto16610
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaPanerai
Wow

That looks terrible. I mountain bike and I would suggest you get a Casio G Shock. Safer for your collection and sweat and dirt wouldn't be an issue.
Auto16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:40 AM   #16
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Black residue from steel bracelets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

Yep.

Oxidation + skin oils + dead skin cells (with melanin) work together to attract even more dirt.

Used to see this all the time when I worked on a farm during the summers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
L_S_SHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM   #17
Jake Sully
"TRF" Member

I get this pretty bad with any 316L watch (not brand specific) and I keep my watches spotless. Think ultrasound and washes all the time. So I think its in the chemical makeup of the steel and my skin. 904L stainless is not near as bad. Nothing with Titanium or gold.
Jake Sully is offline   Reply With Quote