The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Which AC?
NIB 5205r (black) 36 47.37%
NIB 5960a 14 18.42%
Pre-Owned 5960p (grey) 26 34.21%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20 February 2015, 11:36 AM   #1
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Icon2 Pick your brain - another this or that!?

Hello folks. I would like to pick your brain on a thought that is running through my head.

Which one of these would you acquire and why?

1. NIB 5205r (black)

2. NIB 5960a

3. Pre-owned 5960p (grey dial)

The more I think about it, the more I prefer options nos. 3 and no. 1 to be honest....

I do not love the bracelet on the steel. I love the black dial on the 5205, but unsure about the rose gold. I don't love the fact that the 5960 doesn't have a seconds hand....

5960p (black dial) is not on the table unfortunately....

Thanks.
Old 20 February 2015, 11:39 AM   #2
iazrollie
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Seems like you're forcing the issue. Why not wait until something really grabs you? Otherwise 5205r, but I share your reservations about r.
Old 20 February 2015, 11:50 AM   #3
mikeceee
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,Patek,Rolex
I would go 5960/1a. But I am biased. I think the dial on 5960/1a is superior to the grey 5960p. If you're not sold on bracelet you can always retrofit a strap.

That being said judging from your comments it seems you'd be settling with any of the three - not good.

Why not wait to get a 5960p black dial if that's what you want?
Old 20 February 2015, 11:54 AM   #4
cervantes
"TRF" Member

Really depends on the rest of your collection, especially it's precious metals content.

But I find the grey 5960 to be a little odd in it's color combination - grey, white, red, and blue. Too many clashing colors in that sub-register. Especially being that grey as a background works best with neutral colors and a more muted palate.

5960a steel is a striking fresh face, but you must be comfortable with that bracelet, and I'm not. Doesn't look like it fits the watch head, way too shiny, and honestly - Patek needs to upgrade that bracelet in general (5167 bracelet too).

5205 in any guise is gorgeous. Love the black dial and in RG is a pure stunner. The curves of the case and the lugs in RG is executed beautifully. The dial is pure Patek and utterly unique. As long as you like that much RG than that would be my abstract pick. But again, very much depends on collection. And all three are hot pieces.

Also, I would make sure you like the way the 5205 wears as it feels different than the Calatrava cases.
cervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2015, 12:03 PM   #5
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
I voted 5205R Black Dial BUT wait until Basel is over just to make sure something doesnt catch your eye.
goog53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2015, 12:05 PM   #6
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
just my opinion… in the arena in which you are looking, you should not have to ask, you should know the one you must have.

food for thought
5960P black dial is one of my favorites, grey is very nice as well.

my favorites are the 5140 & 5940 for their slimness and the micro-rotor but im afraid they are just a bit small for my wrist, have you considered them?
Old 20 February 2015, 12:08 PM   #7
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iazrollie View Post
Seems like you're forcing the issue. Why not wait until something really grabs you? Otherwise 5205r, but I share your reservations about r.
Thanks my friend. Yes, you may be right in that I'm trying to force the issue a bit. Appreciate the feedback. Best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeceee View Post
I would go 5960/1a. But I am biased. I think the dial on 5960/1a is superior to the grey 5960p. If you're not sold on bracelet you can always retrofit a strap.

That being said judging from your comments it seems you'd be settling with any of the three - not good.

Why not wait to get a 5960p black dial if that's what you want?
Indeed and I know you are biased! I've been enjoying your pics of that 5960a. I very much liked the look of it on the strap you put it on and that would certainly be an option. I judge then that you are very pleased with the 5960a, yes? It certainly is a great looking watch though certainly sportier (which is of course good and bad depending on your needs). Thanks for your thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervantes View Post
Really depends on the rest of your collection, especially it's precious metals content.

But I find the grey 5960 to be a little odd in it's color combination - grey, white, red, and blue. Too many clashing colors in that sub-register. Especially being that grey as a background works best with neutral colors and a more muted palate.

5960a steel is a striking fresh face, but you must be comfortable with that bracelet, and I'm not. Doesn't look like it fits the watch head, way too shiny, and honestly - Patek needs to upgrade that bracelet in general (5167 bracelet too).

5205 in any guise is gorgeous. Love the black dial and in RG is a pure stunner. The curves of the case and the lugs in RG is executed beautifully. The dial is pure Patek and utterly unique. As long as you like that much RG than that would be my abstract pick. But again, very much depends on collection. And all three are hot pieces.

Also, I would make sure you like the way the 5205 wears as it feels different than the Calatrava cases.
Thanks much. I have a couple of yellow gold references (both rolex). I have never owned a platinum watch, so there's certainly an attraction there. Part of me thinks that I would like something a little understated in an annual calendar that I could wear daily in the office.

I hear you on the grey 5960 and that is the big pro to me in the black dial that has the white subdials and less "color" (which is a good thing). Anyway, thanks for your feedback. Best.
Old 20 February 2015, 12:12 PM   #8
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
I voted 5205R Black Dial BUT wait until Basel is over just to make sure something doesnt catch your eye.
Ha! Probably right... Thanks much. I think this decision will be a slow one so I will likely be waiting until after march. Best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
just my opinion… in the arena in which you are looking, you should not have to ask, you should know the one you must have.

food for thought
5960P black dial is one of my favorites, grey is very nice as well.
Thanks Gus. I hear you man, but it's always difficult for me to make up my mind. I was almost there on the 5205r, but then kept thinking and thinking and looking at pictures... Well I'm sure you've been there and know how it goes. Yes, the 5960p black is quite a watch.

If only I wanted a manual wind chrono! Anyway, grateful for your thoughts. Be well.
Old 20 February 2015, 12:20 PM   #9
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Thomas,

define the things you most want:

annual calendar?
moonphase?
chrono?
movement?
size?
dual time?
all in one?

don't settle.

i would have a hard time picking out another patek from the current line-up, for me a lot of them miss the mark for one reason or another.
Old 20 February 2015, 12:27 PM   #10
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Thomas,

define the things you most want:

annual calendar?
moonphase?
chrono?
movement?
size?
all in one?

don't settle.

i would have a hard time picking out another patek from the current line-up, for me a lot of them miss the mark for one reason or another.
Thanks and good advice my friend. Someone talking sense around here!

AC is a priority as I've wanted one for a few years now. Chrono would be cool, but not a must. This watch would stay in a 6 or so watch collection/rotation so not an all in one. I would like it to be a little dressier. That's all I got.

I guess nothing has really driven me crazy yet so probably a good indication that I have found "the one".
Old 20 February 2015, 12:30 PM   #11
cwilson13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post
Thanks my friend. Yes, you may be right in that I'm trying to force the issue a bit. Appreciate the feedback. Best.

Indeed and I know you are biased! I've been enjoying your pics of that 5960a. I very much liked the look of it on the strap you put it on and that would certainly be an option. I judge then that you are very pleased with the 5960a, yes? It certainly is a great looking watch though certainly sportier (which is of course good and bad depending on your needs). Thanks for your thoughts.

Thanks much. I have a couple of yellow gold references (both rolex). I have never owned a platinum watch, so there's certainly an attraction there. Part of me thinks that I would like something a little understated in an annual calendar that I could wear daily in the office.

I hear you on the grey 5960 and that is the big pro to me in the black dial that has the white subdials and less "color" (which is a good thing). Anyway, thanks for your feedback. Best.
Don't listen to the gray haters!

The black is special no doubt. However, I like my gray. Easily dresses up and down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (103.3 KB, 351 views)
cwilson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2015, 12:37 PM   #12
GarageBMW
"TRF" Member

Watch: the step
While all options listed are simply amazing, I am in love with the 5205r with black dial.

In the end, they are all stunning and all good contender. If I had to pick one, it would be the 5205r ;)

Cheers
GarageBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2015, 12:43 PM   #13
jjnd08
"TRF" Member

5205r - my grail.

It's so clean and elegant. But as I've said before, I'm a sucker for a moonphase.
jjnd08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2015, 12:48 PM   #14
DECR
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP,AL&S,AP,Rolex
My vote goes for the 5960P. I miss the 5960 precious metal references. IMO they are a great balance of complications and could be dressed up or down.

But as Gus mentioned. I would wait until I find a PP that really convinces you, do not settle. I know that is what I am doing.

Good luck!
DECR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2015, 01:00 PM   #15
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DECR View Post
My vote goes for the 5960P. I miss the 5960 precious metal references. IMO they are a great balance of complications and could be dressed up or down.

But as Gus mentioned. I would wait until I find a PP that really convinces you, do not settle. I know that is what I am doing.

Good luck!
kneedeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2015, 01:17 PM   #16
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
I have yet to see a 5205R black face and if I did, I would like to own one. I have seen (not on my wrist) as it was a sold piece, and I really liked it. If I wanted to add a slightly more dressier model, it would be the 5205R and if a bracelet model was preferred the 5960 a would be my choice. That being said, someone added a strap to the 5960 a and it really looked great. You are on the right track.
Old 20 February 2015, 03:08 PM   #17
el1125
Banned

5205r black face out of those choices
el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2015, 04:58 PM   #18
Demonoid
2024 Pledge Member

Without a doubt... This.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (128.7 KB, 297 views)
Demonoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2015, 05:06 PM   #19
Chasseur
"TRF" Member

This one

Chasseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2015, 06:44 PM   #20
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
Either Logan or John's work perfectly.
Old 20 February 2015, 08:12 PM   #21
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
None of the above IMHO. Don't ever buy an expensive watch unless you are 100% sure which one you want. When you are ready you will know!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2015, 08:13 PM   #22
RXAPPP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5
5205r - much simpler..
IMO a chrono is more of a sports watch function and maybe the 5980 or 5990 would be a better fit
RXAPPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2015, 01:15 AM   #23
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Of the three choices, I prefer Option 3 (5960p grey, pre-loved). However, I agree with Ken, I'd only buy when I'm 100% sure, especially for such a big ticket item.
nyc2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2015, 01:32 AM   #24
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonoid View Post
Without a doubt... This.
Totally, not a big fan of the 5960 does nothing for me.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2015, 01:39 AM   #25
GB-man
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I voted 5205r because I love black dials. That one seems to fit the bill nicely. Hopefully basel will bring something that really hits the mark for you
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2015, 02:47 AM   #26
Vipes
"TRF" Member

I was in a similar situation. I was offered a black dial 5205r from my AD. I almost bought it but declined at the last minute. The watch is gorgeous but it really stands out and is kind of flashy, IMO. I passed on it and now I decided to get the 5960P (less noticeable = more versatile for me).

So my vote is for the 5960p.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2015, 03:15 AM   #27
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Of the three, if up to me, my pick will be the 5205R. Second choice would be the 5960p but I agree with an earlier poster than the 5960p grey dial, while still a beautiful watch, has some serious "clash of colors" issues. As for the 5960/a in bracelet, I will never consider it and my opinion of it is best left unsaid.

That said, I echo Ken's reply that you should only buy if you are 100% convinced and sure of what you like. Even there is some doubt, it is better to wait. The perfect watch will come around and Baselworld 2015 is just around the corner. Maybe you will find something even better to your liking
benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2015, 03:26 AM   #28
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonoid View Post
Without a doubt... This.
x2

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2015, 09:05 AM   #29
autohorology
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
This is complicated for me since I own the 5205R, but I'm going 5960p grey.
autohorology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2015, 09:13 AM   #30
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Definitely 5205R, I'm really not into dress pieces and not a huge fan of gold but it's probably the only dress watch in my price possibilities that I sometimes think I might acquire some day, love everything about it, I love the 5960 dial but can't get to like the bracelet, for the 6960P the bullseye chrono dial turns me off, but if there is something bothering you in these, seems there is, then don't get either, I love everything about my 2 PP's, ok maybe a nicer clasp on the 5712 would be welcomed but apart from that small insignificant detail I love it, so really when you buy a watch at these prices don't settle for anything
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote