The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 30 June 2021, 08:32 PM   #1
Zlllj
"TRF" Member

New ROOC or ROO diver 2021

Hi all, need some advice. I was being offered with the new ROOC and ROO diver.
Was in a dilemma of which to choose from.
Would like to know which one can holds it value better?

Thanks in advance
Zlllj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2021, 08:47 PM   #2
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Really?

Ash 'will' say it better than me, in about 5 mins...
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2021, 08:52 PM   #3
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
It’s honestly a real shame if you’ve got an eye on resale value before you’ve even bought either watch - there are members on this forum who are hoping to be allocated these watches because they really want to wear them rather than sell them.

In response to your question it’s difficult to predict because certain models can suddenly become hugely desirable and that affects resale.

My advice would be to buy the one you really like as you’ll enjoy wearing it and not want to sell it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2021, 09:11 PM   #4
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
We got some time travellers on the forum now? Wow these new APs have some mad functions.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2021, 09:13 PM   #5
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Personally I prefer the ROO Diver (especially the grey and blue ones, not a fan of the green). The ROC is nice but prefer it to be in steel or WG.

Though historically, ROO doesn’t retain its value compared to RO and ROC.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2021, 09:14 PM   #6
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
We got some time travellers on the forum now? Wow these new APs have some mad functions.
Fixed :)
Old 30 June 2021, 11:12 PM   #7
Zlllj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
It’s honestly a real shame if you’ve got an eye on resale value before you’ve even bought either watch - there are members on this forum who are hoping to be allocated these watches because they really want to wear them rather than sell them.

In response to your question it’s difficult to predict because certain models can suddenly become hugely desirable and that affects resale.

My advice would be to buy the one you really like as you’ll enjoy wearing it and not want to sell it.

Firstly I did not mention or even consider of selling the watch so why is it consider a "real Shame"? Is it wrong to enquire about resale value before buying it?
Old 30 June 2021, 11:20 PM   #8
Zlllj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
Personally I prefer the ROO Diver (especially the grey and blue ones, not a fan of the green). The ROC is nice but prefer it to be in steel or WG.

Though historically, ROO doesn’t retain its value compared to RO and ROC.
Thanks for the info. Very much appreciated as this is going to be my first sports watch.
Old 2 July 2021, 12:18 AM   #9
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
They didn't walk you through how to use that function when you picked up?

OP, I think they're both pretty weak, so as always, best to get the one you like most.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2021, 12:39 AM   #10
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlllj View Post
Firstly I did not mention or even consider of selling the watch so why is it consider a "real Shame"? Is it wrong to enquire about resale value before buying it?
Your question was obvious.

It was the same as a woman's first question to a man being 'how much are you worth?' or 'what car do you drive?'

or a man's first question to a woman being 'are those real?' or 'do you have a twin sister?'

Somewhat vulgar connotations in all cases.

You asked about two different watches at two different price points that serve two difference purposes.

If you are even being offered a watch then you are fortunate, so buy what you like.
Old 2 July 2021, 01:42 AM   #11
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi all, need some advice. I was being offered with the new ROOC and ROO diver.
Was in a dilemma of which to choose from.
Would like to know which one can holds it value better?
I just compared the two yesterday, and when seeing the title of the post was ready to share my impressions - until I realized it's an investment thread.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2021, 01:51 AM   #12
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
I just compared the two yesterday, and when seeing the title of the post was ready to share my impressions - until I realized it's an investment thread.
But ignoring OP for a moment, what were your impressions? I'm curious on your take of the new iterations vs last iterations. Namely, if you weren't a ROO fan before, are you a ROO fan now?
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2021, 02:23 AM   #13
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
But ignoring OP for a moment, what were your impressions? I'm curious on your take of the new iterations vs last iterations. Namely, if you weren't a ROO fan before, are you a ROO fan now?
Advantage ROO diver: seems to wear much thinner - baffled that the difference is only 0.2mm. Much lighter. Pretty restrained design for a ROO.

Advantage ROO chrono: the taupe dial is absolute killer. Diver dial is pretty muted in all three colors, whereas the taupe pops, sparkles and changes with lighting. Ceramic bezel (with no sign of a new full CE ROO diver or chrono) is a plus. Flashier overall, if that's what one is looking for.

The height of the new chrono is a bit shocking (maybe the fact that they were wearing the plastic bezel/case protector distorted things), but the head-on view of the dial is much more restrained than the 44mm ROO as the pushers, while still massive, are much better integrated. I preferred the 12/9/6 sub-dial layout, but where the old movement was quite a bit too small, the new one is just a little bit too large. Biggest difference for me is really the cleanup on the pusher/crown side, and did I mention the taupe dial?

Compared to the old old ROO, I still really like the Beast, with the juxtaposition between the super-refined petite tapisserie classic-blue dial and the massive chunk of steel architecture of the overall piece. In contrast, the 43mm ROO is a much more modern and more cohesive/integrated design.

50% step in cost for the chrono vs diver is significant, but I'll look to get the chrono first, while continuing to dream of a new CE diver.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2021, 02:26 AM   #14
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Don't know which will hold value better but I am hoping for a new grey dial 43ROO this year. Personally prefer the look of the ROO over the diver and ceramic bezel
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2021, 02:46 AM   #15
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post

Advantage ROO chrono: the taupe dial is absolute killer. Diver dial is pretty muted in all three colors, whereas the taupe pops, sparkles and changes with lighting. Ceramic bezel (with no sign of a new full CE ROO diver or chrono) is a plus. Flashier overall, if that's what one is looking for.

The height of the new chrono is a bit shocking (maybe the fact that they were wearing the plastic bezel/case protector distorted things), but the head-on view of the dial is much more restrained than the 44mm ROO as the pushers, while still massive, are much better integrated. I preferred the 12/9/6 sub-dial layout, but where the old movement was quite a bit too small, the new one is just a little bit too large. Biggest difference for me is really the cleanup on the pusher/crown side, and did I mention the taupe dial?
I’m very happy to admit to being biased but the taupe dial is incredible - a few minutes looking and wearing at an AP House just doesn’t reflect how incredible it is. I’ve had mine nearly a week now and everyday it’s grown on me more and more.

As to the height, when you remove the bezel and case protector it makes a huge difference. With that on it’s quite distorted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoveWatch View Post
Don't know which will hold value better but I am hoping for a new grey dial 43ROO this year. Personally prefer the look of the ROO over the diver and ceramic bezel
I’ve spent far too much time in the past deliberating over what watches will hold their value more and too little time looking for watches I just love. Once I decided to just buy and wear what I liked, my enjoyment of this hobby went up a lot more. Buy whichever floats your boat.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2021, 03:08 AM   #16
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
I’m very happy to admit to being biased but the taupe dial is incredible - a few minutes looking and wearing at an AP House just doesn’t reflect how incredible it is. I’ve had mine nearly a week now and everyday it’s grown on me more and more.

As to the height, when you remove the bezel and case protector it makes a huge difference. With that on it’s quite distorted.

I’ve spent far too much time in the past deliberating over what watches will hold their value more and too little time looking for watches I just love. Once I decided to just buy and wear what I liked, my enjoyment of this hobby went up a lot more. Buy whichever floats your boat.
Old 2 July 2021, 03:38 AM   #17
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:

Oh, I wasn't contemplating the value question. I was answering OP, sorry for the confusion
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2021, 04:33 AM   #18
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon14

Quote:

Spot on Stephen
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2021, 04:40 AM   #19
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:

If you’re not considering selling, why ask about value retention? If you never sell, both watches will lose 100% cash.

And there are some super knowledgeable people on here, asking about the merits of each watch would have got you done much better responses.

You’re new to the forum so not your fault, but worth being aware that folk on here are passionate about watches and have become pretty fed up with questions about investment or resale, it’s not what most are here for.

Whilst there is an argument for not buying a watch (or any luxury product) if you can’t afford to lose 100%, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to consider residuals for folk that want to enjoy watches but know that they might one day need to cash in if the rainy day scenario arises.

So to answer your question, the current trend suggests that both will lose value. The Diver will lose less because it’s cheaper, so a like-for-like percentage decrease will be less cash lost. Cheaper watches also easier to move on when (a) selling because you need to, and (b) when trading up on the sunny day.

But, ultimately, unless you’re really stretching yourself, the advice you’ve had above is sound. Just get the watch you like the most.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2021, 05:22 AM   #20
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
If you’re not considering selling, why ask about value retention? If you never sell, both watches will lose 100% cash.

And there are some super knowledgeable people on here, asking about the merits of each watch would have got you done much better responses.

You’re new to the forum so not your fault, but worth being aware that folk on here are passionate about watches and have become pretty fed up with questions about investment or resale, it’s not what most are here for.

Whilst there is an argument for not buying a watch (or any luxury product) if you can’t afford to lose 100%, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to consider residuals for folk that want to enjoy watches but know that they might one day need to cash in if the rainy day scenario arises.

So to answer your question, the current trend suggests that both will lose value. The Diver will lose less because it’s cheaper, so a like-for-like percentage decrease will be less cash lost. Cheaper watches also easier to move on when (a) selling because you need to, and (b) when trading up on the sunny day.

But, ultimately, unless you’re really stretching yourself, the advice you’ve had above is sound. Just get the watch you like the most.

Vince, you're such a nice chap! Shall I invoke my time machine again? :)
Old 2 July 2021, 05:32 AM   #21
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post
Vince, you're such a nice chap! Shall I invoke my time machine again? :)

lol

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2021, 05:40 AM   #22
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
They didn't walk you through how to use that function when you picked up?

OP, I think they're both pretty weak, so as always, best to get the one you like most.
Time travel would be cool, but the one thing I'd really like is instant teleportation to anywhere in the world, esp via your watch... am I the new Elon Musk...

Taupe dial is rather spectacular, I'd grab one if you're in the market, it's no time machine substitute but very nice still.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2021, 06:44 AM   #23
Burlington
"TRF" Member

If you want to wear it as a sports watch, then APD is likely your best bet.

Will take pretty much everything you throw at it

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2021, 11:09 AM   #24
Zlllj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Your question was obvious.

It was the same as a woman's first question to a man being 'how much are you worth?' or 'what car do you drive?'

or a man's first question to a woman being 'are those real?' or 'do you have a twin sister?'

Somewhat vulgar connotations in all cases.

You asked about two different watches at two different price points that serve two difference purposes.

If you are even being offered a watch then you are fortunate, so buy what you like.
If I want to buy for investment purpose, I would have get both pieces since they are not easy to come by. Don't u think so?
Old 2 July 2021, 11:15 AM   #25
Zlllj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post

Yes, I fully agreed with what u said. This is actually my sentiments.
Old 2 July 2021, 11:07 PM   #26
Sleepy996
"TRF" Member

I love them both but the new diver seems like the perfect daily imo especially that green. When it comes to values I seem to lose money on everything so I will be no help there.
Old 2 July 2021, 11:42 PM   #27
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Guys, the “holier than thou” attitude on this forum is getting really tiresome.

The OP asked a simple question - What one holds their value better? That’s a completely legitimate question. Did they ever say “so that I can make a profit” or “so I can sell it”?

No, they did not.

I will stand up here and say value retention is a huge issue to me. I may splurge on a piece without that consideration if I truly love it, but generally speaking I make decisions that I will not lose more than 25% of the value of a watch. As my financial situation changes, that may change in one way or another.

We need to get off the high horse that somebody isn’t truly interested in watches or that they are “hurting real collectors” if they ask a question like this. Make no mistake, it’s these new collectors that are FEEDING the world in which we are living. Nobody on here can look in the mirror and say they aren’t benefiting from all of this and that they are upset that their collections have held their value or in many cases increased in value. The foundation of this is more people able to get into the hobby because they are comfortable that their purchase has some level of capital preservation.

End of rant. Thank you.

OP: These are both new models so the verdict is still out. I’d follow my rule above here. In the very short term, all will likely trade above retail. Over the next year or so, I suspect most of these models will be readily available with a modest wait, or available in the secondary market for no or very small premiums. Over time, I’d expect to lose 20 to 25% of your purchase price on these models. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 2 July 2021, 11:53 PM   #28
madmax21
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master ll
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post

This is what has destroyed the watch collecting industry it's all about value now and people think it's investment purposes before all other things I mean me myself I like to check value of things so I don't overpay especially in one case where I'm considering a trade with a Panerai watch. That's what the market has become pretty disgusting though
Old 3 July 2021, 12:09 AM   #29
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
Guys, the “holier than thou” attitude on this forum is getting really tiresome.

The OP asked a simple question - What one holds their value better? That’s a completely legitimate question. Did they ever say “so that I can make a profit” or “so I can sell it”?

No, they did not.

I will stand up here and say value retention is a huge issue to me. I may splurge on a piece without that consideration if I truly love it, but generally speaking I make decisions that I will not lose more than 25% of the value of a watch. As my financial situation changes, that may change in one way or another.

We need to get off the high horse that somebody isn’t truly interested in watches or that they are “hurting real collectors” if they ask a question like this. Make no mistake, it’s these new collectors that are FEEDING the world in which we are living. Nobody on here can look in the mirror and say they aren’t benefiting from all of this and that they are upset that their collections have held their value or in many cases increased in value. The foundation of this is more people able to get into the hobby because they are comfortable that their purchase has some level of capital preservation.

End of rant. Thank you.

OP: These are both new models so the verdict is still out. I’d follow my rule above here. In the very short term, all will likely trade above retail. Over the next year or so, I suspect most of these models will be readily available with a modest wait, or available in the secondary market for no or very small premiums. Over time, I’d expect to lose 20 to 25% of your purchase price on these models. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Watches aren't investment vehicles. People may think they are and those people are in for a shock at some point. If watches were investments then there would be a futures market for them or some other legitimate financial instrument, but there is not.

Questions about value, which are clearly investment questions are tiresome. This is supposed to be a watch forum. By all means ask about two models, but what has price now, or price in the future got to do with anything regarding the merits of the watch itself?

There's value in this little corner of the internet, but not for much longer if everything is going to be tarnished by the vulgar topic of money.

As far as I'm aware there are no 'rules' to this forum or moderators, thus anything goes, so have at it.
Old 3 July 2021, 12:31 AM   #30
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
Watches aren't investment vehicles. People may think they are and those people are in for a shock at some point. If watches were investments then there would be a futures market for them or some other legitimate financial instrument, but there is not.

Questions about value, which are clearly investment questions are tiresome. This is supposed to be a watch forum. By all means ask about two models, but what has price now, or price in the future got to do with anything regarding the merits of the watch itself?

There's value in this little corner of the internet, but not for much longer if everything is going to be tarnished by the vulgar topic of money.

As far as I'm aware there are no 'rules' to this forum or moderators, thus anything goes, so have at it.

First of all, what I value most is educated discourse so I hope that’s clear. I don’t hold a grudge or mean to direct any vitriol towards anybody as long as they are adding to the conversation and remain civil. I’m just trying to ask people to consider another point of view on this one.

I can’t get inside the OPs head so they’d have to comment if they so choose regarding exactly what information they were trying to get from posing this question.

Speaking for myself, I do not equate “store of value” and “investment”. I personally do not “invest in watches”. Many do, and I agree those conversations are tiresome and we risk tarnishing the forum and the hobby as a whole. But, I do care deeply about retaining as much value as I can and it sometimes is a big factor if I am deciding whether to buy something or make a trade. Is this risky? Sure, there is some risk to it. But given where the market is and where I see it staying more or less, I think this is a conservative approach that maximizes my enjoyment. Maybe I’m wrong…time will tell.