The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 November 2006, 05:15 PM   #1
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
Oysterquartz Day Date?

I was so shocked. I knew of the Oysterquartz Datejust and also the Oysterquartz case with a Oyster Perpetual movement, but I checked out that A and E website and saw an Oysterquartz Day Date??? Was this watch ever popular?
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2006, 05:19 PM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
I was so shocked. I knew of the Oysterquartz Datejust and also the Oysterquartz case with a Oyster Perpetual movement, but I checked out that A and E website and saw an Oysterquartz Day Date??? Was this watch ever popular?
Yes, it was. the OQ Day-Date was naturally made in all precious metal only, some studded with diamonds and even pavé dials. In spite of being quartz, the Arabs and Muslims loved them. Saw quite a few in Iran during the '70s and early '80s whilst I was there. Saw quite a few in Dubai too when I was there in 1981.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2006, 06:43 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Like JJ said in some parts of the world it was a good seller,but total world
sales were not great.

Thermo-compensated watches made by Rolex:

Caliber: Rolex 5035 (and 5055 for the Day-Date model)
Technology: single 32 kHz crystal using the forced constant frequency (TCVCXO) method
Annual accuracy: around ±60 seconds (Rolex has never stated an official accuracy specification.)
Rate adjustable?: yes, via trimmer condenser (user adjustable)
Watches that use this movement:

Rolex Oyster-quartz (1977 to 2001)

Note 1: We are unaware of any other watch using TCVCXO technology.
Note 2: While discontinued, we have heard that Rolex plans to introduce a new quartz movement with update technology and perpetual calendar. More can
Ref http://www.oysterquartz.net/

selected Grand Seiko quartz model

Note 1: Seiko re-issued a limited edition of the "Astron" in 2000 that used a special version of the 9F movement that was rated to ± 2 seconds per year after ajustment.
Note 2: The 9F movement is reportedly designed to run fifty years before it needs servicing.
Note 3: Other Grand Seiko quartz models use the 8J movement. Even less is know about this movement.
Source of information: Japanese retail sites

And just a little bit more its possible that the new Oysterquartz could be reborn 2007 Basil Show.

The Next Oysterquartz?

In 2004, an Oysterquartz watch was offered at auction by Antiquorum that looked like an ordinary 17014 stainless model with the white gold bezel. Upon closer examination, however, it was clear this watch was something unique and many wondered if it was a genuine Rolex. There was no reference number on the back of the watch where one would expect to see it engraved on a typical Oysterquartz. And the watch contained a heretofore unheard of 23 jewel quartz movement marked "5335" with a date function that employed a perpetual calendar mechanism that could be completely adjusted using the crown.

This mystery watch was never sold because it was pulled when Rolex told Antiquorum officials that it had been stolen from them. A civil lawsuit ensued in Switzerland between the owner of the watch and Rolex. Rolex lost this suit largely due to the testimony of former and current Rolex employees who testified that it was common practice for Rolex to dispose of prototype watches by giving them to employees. Also, the fact that Rolex had never reported the watch to the police as stolen didn't help their case. The publicity surrounding the trial served to confirm the authenticity and provenance of this watch and ensure its value as a collector's piece when it is eventually offered for sale again.

Prototype Oysterquartz Day-Date Perpetual Calendar

Thanks to a former Rolex insider (who no longer works for Rolex), I am able to confirm not only the existence of the Oysterquartz Perpetual Calendar, but give some details about this watch, which is without doubt the rarest Oysterquartz ever produced by Rolex.

Approximately eleven prototype Oysterquartz Perpetual Calendar watches were produced.

They were produced in Datejust and Day-Date versions.
All prototypes were encased in 17014 SS cases with white gold bezels.

No external reference numbers were engraved on the cases.

The movement used in the Datejust model was designated the 5335 and had 23 jewels.

The movement used in the Day-Date model was designated the 5355 and had 23 jewels.

The movement is silent, with no audible tic (a marked difference from the original Oysterquartz).

The perpetual calendar function of this watch was patented by Rolex: Swiss Patent number CH 672 222 G A3.

Here is a photo of the 5335 movement used in the Oysterquartz Perpetual Calendar. Note the lack of a battery compartment. Also note the Rolex coronet on the gold battery contact.

Now don't forget there are quite a lot of mechanical parts in a quartz analogue watch.The same drive train as the cal 3135 less the balance and escapement and main spring.Its main spring is the battery and escapement the quartz crystal. And the quartz movement is more expencive than its mechanical brother.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2006, 12:16 AM   #4
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: What do you think?
I had a chance to pick up an YG OQ DD about 5 years ago when I just started collecting. I lost out on that one by a measly couple of hundred $$. Had I known then what I know now about them, I would have snapped it up.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2006, 09:55 AM   #5
mikey
"TRF" Member

I am a little confused about the perpetual calender feature and why 23 jewels in a quartz movement
Old 11 November 2006, 09:59 AM   #6
Sam

Watch: Yes...too many!!!
FWIW....my OQ runs about +1 second per month. Not bad...even for a quartz.

My least worn piece in my collection but possibly my favorite.

Picture by Chip...watch by me
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2006, 11:34 AM   #7
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: What do you think?
That's a beauty, Sam. You should take it for a ride more often.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2006, 01:00 PM   #8
Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
That's a beauty, Sam. You should take it for a ride more often.
Thanks Ed! I'll try to get her on the wrist more often...just for you.
Old 11 November 2006, 02:31 PM   #9
ROLEX4EvEr
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Back
quartz movement is what batteries? or wind up?
ROLEX4EvEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2006, 02:34 PM   #10
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEX4EvEr View Post
quartz movement is what batteries? or wind up?
Quartz means there is actually a quartz crystal inside the watch which is powered by a small round button-size battery. This sets up a very high resonance or vibration which then sets the gears into motion.

In a Rolex OQ is a 11-jewelled quartz linked motor which runs the show.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 11 November 2006, 02:36 PM   #11
ROLEX4EvEr
"TRF" Member

Are they cheaper?
Old 11 November 2006, 02:38 PM   #12
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Are they cheaper?
Oh yes, the Rolex OQ is definitely cheaper than most of the Perpetual ones.

JJ

Old 11 November 2006, 02:44 PM   #13
ROLEX4EvEr
"TRF" Member

I figured, Next time I look at watches I gonna make sure it isnt quartz movement.
Old 11 November 2006, 02:45 PM   #14
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
I figured, Next time I look at watches I gonna make sure it isnt quartz movement.
The OQ was discontinued quite some time ago. You'd be hard pressed to find one even if you tried.

JJ

Old 11 November 2006, 02:50 PM   #15
mikey
"TRF" Member

I have an uneasy feeling of paying $500-1000 on any quartz watch. I mean I love the OQ case design but with a Rolex automatic heart in it.
Old 11 November 2006, 03:12 PM   #16
Sam

Rolex only made about 1000 Oysterquartz per year for 25 years....and stopped production around 2001 (K series). They're not necessarily cheaper than an oyster perpetual unless you find a real beat up specimen....otherwise, they might even be more pricey. I doubt you will be finding one at your local AD and if you do, you should snatch it up.
Old 11 November 2006, 11:40 PM   #17
jac67
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Re: OQ

Well Mikey, here's an OP in a OQ case.

Model 1630

I disagree JJ, the OQ can be found quite easliy on ebay and various forum sales boards. But be careful.

My OQ, fully serviced by RSC hasn't lost even one second in 6 months!

Model 17000

John.
jac67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2006, 12:25 AM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Oh yes, the Rolex OQ is definitely cheaper than most of the Perpetual ones.

JJ
Well JJ the OQ SS was more expencive to buy when you compare to a ss DJ.In 1986 a 17000 was £992 a SSteel DJ 1500 was £758.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac67 View Post
Well Mikey, here's an OP in a OQ case.

Model 1630

John.
Now John not many of those around quite a rare sort after watch

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 12 November 2006, 01:38 AM   #19
Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Now John not many of those around quite a rare sort after watch
Not only is the 1630 quite rare...it's also quite expensive!
Old 14 November 2006, 04:25 PM   #20
jac67
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Thank you all for your comments.

Yes, the 1680 are quite rare, but not fetching quite as much as the 1530.

Anyway, still a good one for the collection.

John.
jac67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2006, 07:02 PM   #21
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
I am a little confused about the perpetual calender feature and why 23 jewels in a quartz movement
Dont forget there are a lot of mechanical parts in a Rolex analogue watch they use the same drive train and gears as its mechanical brother.Minus the balance and escapement and main spring, and cost more to produce than its mechanical brother.Just don't think of quartz movements being all the same cheap mass produced churned out by the thousand daily.And if Rolex does introduce the new quartz movement with the same perpetual calender feature as its mechanical brother.Thats where all the extra jewels come in,because it will work in the same manor as your mechanical watch

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 15 November 2006, 02:08 AM   #22
mikey
"TRF" Member

John, thanks for sharing that rare piece. I understand the mechanics of the Rolex quartzmovement but wood to nails still a battery movement swiss or otherwise. I wouldn't pay $500 or $2000 for it, but I would wonder if the quartz movement could be switched out to install a Rolex auto mvmt.
Old 15 November 2006, 02:15 AM   #23
Atomic

Quote:
I wouldn't pay $500 or $2000 for it, but I would wonder if the quartz movement could be switched out to install a Rolex auto mvmt.
So I guess you wouldn't pay $15,000 for this quartz beauty either, eh?

Old 15 November 2006, 02:22 AM   #24
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
John, thanks for sharing that rare piece. I understand the mechanics of the Rolex quartzmovement but wood to nails still a battery movement swiss or otherwise. I wouldn't pay $500 or $2000 for it, but I would wonder if the quartz movement could be switched out to install a Rolex auto mvmt.
Yes its still a quartz movement but still with most of the mechanical parts from the Cal 3135.Instead of a spring to power it, a battery, and instead of its escapement, a quartz crystal.Myself not a huge fan of quartz watches,but there is quartz and quartz.Now Rolex and some of the top Japanese movements cost a lot more to make that its mechanical brother.Now if you switched the movements then in all reality you would have a frankenwatch of no real value only to yourself if it could be done.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 15 November 2006, 02:26 AM   #25
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
So I guess you wouldn't pay $15,000 for this quartz beauty either, eh?
Bet you are still having nightmares from wearing that POS. 5 very cheap bottom range quartz movements bit of bling $15000 watch John.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 15 November 2006, 02:33 AM   #26
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Bet you are still having nightmares from wearing that POS. 5 very cheap bottom range quartz movements bit of bling $15000 watch John.
No nightmares... just a good laugh. I tell you, strapping my 01 on after having that POS on my wrist, never felt so good.
Old 15 November 2006, 07:30 AM   #27
mikey
"TRF" Member

Padi, I agree it would have no resale value, but the rolex 1570 is like $1200 at least. I wish Rolex would continue to produce the OQ caseband because after you see so many Oyster cases the OQ caseband is so appealling.
Old 15 November 2006, 05:34 PM   #28
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Padi, I agree it would have no resale value, but the rolex 1570 is like $1200 at least. I wish Rolex would continue to produce the OQ caseband because after you see so many Oyster cases the OQ caseband is so appealling.
Quite agree with that, Mikey. The OQ bracelet is known as the Integrated Bracelet.

JJ