The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 7 September 2024, 07:15 PM   #1
Manlodan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seamaster 168.024
Vintage IWC Shopping- Cal. 59 vs. 853

Hello everyone, I am currently in the midst of consolidating my watch collection and I'm looking to upgrade into a vintage 18k IWC. I've eyed them from a distance for some time, but handling a cal. 853 during a recent visit to a watchmaker's shop really cemented the decision for me. I'm looking for an 18k vintage watch that is robust enough to be a daily wear, and I adore the style- specifically, I'm interested in the "dog-leg" or triangle lug case with line indices, dauphine hands, and the little circle minute markers. ideally, I'd like rose gold, but yellow gold is also fine. Something like this:

I've noticed that this style I'm looking for commonly comes with at least 2 calibers- the hand-winding cal. 89 or the automatic 853. As far as I can tell, there isn't a significant price difference between the two.

For daily wear, is there one that is recommended over the other? Collectability isn't important to me, I just want to be able to wear it when I want and get it serviced. Also, are there any special points of either I should keep an eye out for, any common problems or little points I should be aware of when shopping? For one, it seems like everyone likes to advertise their watch as "pink gold" or "rose gold" when it looks yellow from the pictures. How can I know what shade it actually is?

Thanks in advance!