The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 June 2024, 03:11 AM   #1
Lightsped
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, OP41, DJ x 4
Icon5 Tudor FXD - Yay? Or Nay?

Talk me into or out of a Tudor FXD (blue dial). Have watched numerous reviews, but more interested what actual FXD owners think of this watch.
Lightsped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 03:17 AM   #2
Neil McCauley
Banned

I've been toying with the idea of getting the black dial FXD

To me it's like an extreme tool watch - one I'd be happy to knock around, take on holiday with me to the beach, and really abuse. I love the fact it's titanium too and the lug design is awesome.

I like to think my Sub date is the perfect tool watch, but in reality I'd be unhappy to get it bashed up. I wouldn't be worried about this one at all
Neil McCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 03:52 AM   #3
CKLinLA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II Black
I have the original Marine Nationale version and
love it.

I think it looks great, and I really like the specific
shade of blue on this Tudor. The issue year mark
(MN23 on mine) adds a bit more of 'feel goodness'.

Another big plus is this is a really comfortable watch,
its light because of the titanium case, and the Nato
strap fits well on my wrist.

For me, if you want an FXD, this is the version. Its
the one thats tied in to the history of the Tudor Diver
and its navy connections.

CKLinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 04:07 AM   #4
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
I’m tempted too! I thought it would be too big & long, but it fits well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 7 June 2024, 04:23 AM   #5
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Very fond of the Pelagos but I’m a bracelet guy.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 04:28 AM   #6
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Very cool piece. I’ve tried it on, considered adding it but there’s no room in my collection (have 10 watches, I have to be very selective on purchases because I want to wear all my pieces).

Feels and wears great on the wrist. I would’ve thought it’d be big at 42mm but it works well (7.25” wrist). I don’t like fabric or nato straps, but it comes with a rubber one and metal, leather, or rubber is my preference.

Agreed that this is the FXD to get, with it being the original. Cycling edition of FXD? Just weird in my opinion.
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 04:30 AM   #7
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
Very fond of the Pelagos but I’m a bracelet guy.
Ditto
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 04:48 AM   #8
bioyuki
"TRF" Member

Love my FXD Black, more than my original Pelagos 39. Great wrist presence, casual but can work in other environments on a black strap, the definition of go anywhere, do anything. With the lug shape and strap, it’s not too big on my 6.75”/17cm wrist. Keeps great time too, mine is consistently at +1 sec/day.
bioyuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 05:04 AM   #9
rmagoo57

Watch: GMT II/Sub/Exp II
Nay. Too big, no bracelet and the bezel is too busy for me. Prefer the new 39. But I'll keep my BB58 blue for now.
rmagoo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 07:05 AM   #10
slide13
"TRF" Member

Yay. But in black for me.

Love the design and concept. A MilSub has always been a dream watch for me. I got on the list the day the blue dial version was released. Ultimately that ended up not being the watch for me though. The blue dial and bezel combined with the reversed from normal bezel numbering just wasn't to my liking. The MN connection is kinda cool and I like that it was purpose built for their specific needs....but those aren't my needs and I have no particular affinity for the MN other than liking their historical connection to Tudor watches.

When the black was released I didn't really consider it too much. I liked the look and more normal bezel numbering but kinda figured I'd already tried that watch with the blue and so didn't give it much more thought. But I ended up getting my hands on one and really fell in love with it, so much that I found myself in an AD a week or so later and ended up buying one.

I now have it alongside my Sub Date (126610) and a BB58 blue (love the BB58 blue, much better shade of blue for my personal tastes).

I find the black FXD works so well on a huge variety of strap colors, I love mixing it up from one day to the next depending on my mood. It's also incredibly comfortable to wear.

I've always been a fan of NATO straps, it's probably my preferred style from a comfort perspective.

The FXD is incredibly legible and has one of the best feeling bezel actions of any watch I've ever owned...including my Sub.

As a watch in a larger collection the blue MN is the way to go for it's uniqueness. And if you like the color and backwards bezel numbering then it's a great choice overall too. For me the black is the better FXD to actually wear as a regular watch but that's just personal preference. Mine gets a good share of wrist time alongside my Sub.
slide13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 07:12 AM   #11
Jcm87
"TRF" Member

I've really toyed with picking up one as well, but would be my third diver (Sub Date, SMP 300 white dial). That said, I think it's a really cool piece, but for me ended up being just a hair too big for my liking with the lug to lug on my 6.75" wrist.

In contrast, the Pelagos 39 and BB58 fit significantly better. If they made the Pelagos 39 in blue it would be an instant buy for me.

You really have to try it on in person before you make the decision.
Jcm87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 10:24 AM   #12
Rebar
"TRF" Member

Great points about its bonafides as a tool watch, bezel action, legibility, etc. I'd be generous if I said my wrist was 6.5" but it wears well on me.

I cant post links yet or else I'd share pics from its recent trip to the Pelagos of Greece. Looked beautiful
Rebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 10:58 AM   #13
JasoninDenver

Love my black FXD. It also runs +1 consistently.

I wanted the MN version initially but I still prefer the unidirectional elapsed time bezel of the black version versus the countdown bezel of the MN. I do think the blue MN is beautiful in person though.

If you do pull the trigger, prepare to fall into the black hole of aftermarket strap options. The best for me so far are the Erika's MN straps specifically made for the FXD. They are much more comfortable than many of the NATOS or other single pass straps I have tried.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 10:59 AM   #14
JasoninDenver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
I've been toying with the idea of getting the black dial FXD

To me it's like an extreme tool watch - one I'd be happy to knock around, take on holiday with me to the beach, and really abuse. I love the fact it's titanium too and the lug design is awesome.

I like to think my Sub date is the perfect tool watch, but in reality I'd be unhappy to get it bashed up. I wouldn't be worried about this one at all
X2.

You hit the value proposition of this piece perfectly.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 7 June 2024, 12:16 PM   #15
Akacoke
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
I own the black Ti My coworker own the blue. Killer watches if you like your watches on NATO very versatile great beater or vacation watch.
Old 7 June 2024, 12:19 PM   #16
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

If only it were 39-40mm (for me) I think it looks killer.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 12:22 PM   #17
Car32
"TRF" Member

Yay. Own the blue. Amazing color in the sun, the matte speckled dial sparkles in sunlight. Very legible with amazing lume. Very comfortable.

Not as big as specs suggest, very wearable.
Car32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 12:55 PM   #18
Radbloke
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't have one as a one and one, but as part of a collection they're a pretty nice thing.
Radbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 01:37 PM   #19
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

The black FXD is more versatile color-wise but the blue is more uniquely Tudor. There are a million black, unidirectional bezel divers with regular spring bars out there. But the blue, the countdown markings, the bidirectional action, and the fixed bars add up to a very interesting package.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 04:25 PM   #20
PandaLover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiboost View Post
the black fxd is more versatile color-wise but the blue is more uniquely tudor. There are a million black, unidirectional bezel divers with regular spring bars out there. But the blue, the countdown markings, the bidirectional action, and the fixed bars add up to a very interesting package.
+1
PandaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 04:36 PM   #21
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmagoo57 View Post
Nay. Too big, no bracelet and the bezel is too busy for me. Prefer the new 39. But I'll keep my BB58 blue for now.

Exactly this. The fixed lug bar ruins it, for me. I need the option of bracelet or strap to be my choice. I’ll also keep my OG BB58.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 09:34 PM   #22
RTG

Watch: YM42 Ti
Yay! Love the FXD. Bought it as more of a fun watch but has been my daily for six months now. Enjoy everything about it. Velcro strap provides a perfect fit every day and holds up extremely well. Great addition to a big collection of bracelet watches. My wife loves the look on me and ended up getting her own three handed FXD last month.

Old 7 June 2024, 09:35 PM   #23
RTG

Old 7 June 2024, 09:48 PM   #24
RTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
If only it were 39-40mm (for me) I think it looks killer.
I bet they will make a 39mm FXD. The 39mm Pelagos has been a good seller so a 39mm FXD seems like a logical next step.
Old 7 June 2024, 09:51 PM   #25
Scottyboy
Banned

Watch: GP Laureato
The fixed lugs make it unwearable for some, ensure your wrist can handle the 50+mm lug to lug.
Scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 09:55 PM   #26
psv
2024 Pledge Member

I had the original MN'21 for a while when it was launched. It is a very cool and fun watch, especially for vacation, travel, etc. It is kind of like an orange dial Doxa - it has its time and place, but certainly not a perfect all-around watch.

I have it up because as much as I dig Tudor, I simply don't like their snowflake hour-hand design, but I should really get over that ;-)
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2024, 10:00 PM   #27
RTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyboy View Post
The fixed lugs make it unwearable for some, ensure your wrist can handle the 50+mm lug to lug.
The small wrist energy at Hodinkee complained about that but they are real haters of anything over 40mm. The strap is thinner than a bracelet and can be pulled straight down. In real life it wears more compact than a bracelet Pelagos. It’s still 42mm so it isn’t for everyone…but what is?
Old 8 June 2024, 12:02 AM   #28
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Yay! Definitely. And this is coming from somebody who wouldn't have touched the watch with a ten foot pole when it came out.

The absolute most comfortable watch you'll ever wear, guaranteed, plus superior legibility and lume. Throw in a bi-directional, 120 click bezel, and you've got a must have, IMO.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2024, 01:17 AM   #29
JasoninDenver

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
The small wrist energy at Hodinkee complained about that but they are real haters of anything over 40mm. The strap is thinner than a bracelet and can be pulled straight down. In real life it wears more compact than a bracelet Pelagos. It’s still 42mm so it isn’t for everyone…but what is?
I always thought 40mm was my limit for my 6.75” wrist. However, the FXD just wears wonderfully and does not look oversized on me at all, despite the lug to lug distance.

While the P39 would be perfect for me on a bracelet, I think the matte dial and bezel on the FXD is much nicer in real life. In fact, I was about to buy the P39 when the FXD was announced.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 8 June 2024, 05:34 AM   #30
Lightsped
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, OP41, DJ x 4
Thanks for all of the replies. Currently leaning towards a blue FXD as I already have a SS black Sub.
Lightsped is offline   Reply With Quote