The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 March 2020, 11:28 PM   #1
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Daytona or BLRO

So without getting into too much detail let’s just say I’m in a position to be offered a new black dial Daytona as a swap plus cash for my BLRO. And let’s assume that money is already spent. With the current investment, political, and social climate, which do you think would be the better buy? I’ve had the BLRO and I love it. I’ve also tried on the black Daytona which I liked much more than any other variant I’ve ever come across. But from a purely, s$&? hits the fan perspective (which is how most of us are viewing everything right now) which would you go with? Which has the better ability to be flipped or trade if need be? The obvious answer is the Daytona, yet the BLRO is more attainable for most....... And as stated, I enjoy them both.
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2020, 11:30 PM   #2
AnthonyA114
"TRF" Member

Daytona.
AnthonyA114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2020, 11:40 PM   #3
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
as a BLRO owner, Daytona no contest.
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2020, 11:43 PM   #4
THC
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Keep the BLRO and buy toilet paper with the cash
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2020, 11:44 PM   #5
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
Would never buy, trade, etc...with that mindset. I don’t plan a watch buying/trading scenario for...least amount of money lost , if the sh** hits the fan etc...
Buy for enjoyment of the watch. I personally don’t look at this hobby/journey for investment, better than money in the bank, etc...
So I’d say get the watch you’ll enjoy most!
But to answer the question for your particular interest....Daytona
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2020, 11:47 PM   #6
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
I prefer to think of my watches as “throw away” money in the sense that if no one wanted a mechanical watch, and I couldn’t sell them, I’d be just fine owning them for pleasure
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2020, 11:50 PM   #7
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I prefer to think of my watches as “throw away” money in the sense that if no one wanted a mechanical watch, and I couldn’t sell them, I’d be just fine owning them for pleasure
+1 keep the BLRO
socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2020, 11:53 PM   #8
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

I’m confused - are you saying someone’s offering to give you cash plus the Daytona for your blro, or the other way around?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 12:00 AM   #9
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Daytona or BLRO

I too prefer the black Daytona over white. It is a wonderful watch. However, i actually prefer my BLNR over my Daytona as a every day wear. If I had to choose only one ... BLNR.

Having said that, I find the BLNR a better every day wear over BLRO because the colors of the BLRO are a bit “too colorful” whereas the BLNR is more understated.

Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 12:06 AM   #10
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Daytona or BLRO

You’d be able to flip either in a pinch very easily...but like others said, chose the one you would get the most enjoyment out of wearing.

That said, I much prefer the BLRO. It has the more useful complication, more comfortable bracelet, date function, more legible dial and I like the splash of color.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 12:29 AM   #11
Achtung6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Diver
I agree with our friends here that say buying and owning these watches should be nothing more than a personal desire for a fine timepiece. I believe that unless you are a watch dealer then the timepieces are a personal piece of jewelry and not a commodity for trading. I’ve not bought a watch with the intent to sell it as you never know what a speculative market will do. And that’s all is. Speculation. Rolex in this case holds all the cards in terms of allocation. I cannot know what they will do and therefore wouldn’t buy a watch with an expectation of selling it for a certain amount. I only buy at retail and assume I’m never going to sell it. I have three sons so my watches already have their next owner. Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Achtung6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 12:38 AM   #12
newu5er
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I also think about watches this way.
newu5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 12:40 AM   #13
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinjimmy View Post
I’m confused - are you saying someone’s offering to give you cash plus the Daytona for your blro, or the other way around?

I’m being offered a black Daytona for BLRO plus some cash.
Old 22 March 2020, 12:43 AM   #14
HogwldFLTR

Watch: Too many to list!
Seems reasonable; I'd much prefer the Daytona. My favorite Rolex!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 12:44 AM   #15
timepiecegentleman
Banned

Watch: 116613LN Bluesy
Daytona
timepiecegentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 12:47 AM   #16
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung6 View Post
I agree with our friends here that say buying and owning these watches should be nothing more than a personal desire for a fine timepiece. I believe that unless you are a watch dealer then the timepieces are a personal piece of jewelry and not a commodity for trading. I’ve not bought a watch with the intent to sell it as you never know what a speculative market will do. And that’s all is. Speculation. Rolex in this case holds all the cards in terms of allocation. I cannot know what they will do and therefore wouldn’t buy a watch with an expectation of selling it for a certain amount. I only buy at retail and assume I’m never going to sell it. I have three sons so my watches already have their next owner. Just my two cents.

And I agree... my two small people will hopefully get my watches..... but in the current chaotic climate we are in, I’m wondering which is more liquid. I’m not a fan of leveraging and prefer my coin in the market, cash, or tangible property (ie real estate or even very specific watches). I also should’ve mentioned I have these guys too.....
Old 22 March 2020, 12:48 AM   #17
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Depends on how much cash but assume you’ve done your due diligence there.

Daytona.

Old 22 March 2020, 12:52 AM   #18
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Quote:
I agree 1000%
And I am not picking on the guy who started the thread just speaking in general. Too many people buy watches and other luxury items overextending themselves and are now hitting the panic button.

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 12:53 AM   #19
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
Depends on how much cash but assume you’ve done your due diligence there.

Daytona.

Msrp Daytona vs msrp BLRO
Old 22 March 2020, 12:57 AM   #20
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
That is a difficult decision. Being pragmatic=BLRO due to date, time zones functionality. Daytona=Cool, sexy but not as useful for everyday life.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 01:03 AM   #21
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post

Daytona. You have the BLNR for GMT.

Old 22 March 2020, 01:05 AM   #22
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
I agree 1000%
And I am not picking on the guy who started the thread just speaking in general. Too many people buy watches and other luxury items overextending themselves and are now hitting the panic button.

I agree with this point too to an extent.... and we are all wired a little differently, but for me, I look at just about anything I buy that’s of any real cost/value with an eye towards its investment potential or potential longevity/reliability. I bought a Lexus suv because it’s a land cruiser and will go 350k miles, a pump “boom stick” (we aren’t supposed to talk about) because they don’t fail, a MacBook Pro 16 (incoming soon) because it will last 8yrs and I can run multiple OS on it, Klein screwdrivers because they’re phenomenal, only a handful of index funds/stocks/etf’s that are still ok right now and will recover nicely once the apocalypse is over......and Rolexes because I love them and they last. I think heavily about most purchases to insure they meet one of the above criteria. Just how I am wired.
Old 22 March 2020, 01:06 AM   #23
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
White D then BLRO then black D.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 01:17 AM   #24
franktehtank
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, GMT
If money is a concern, liquidate the BLRO now and put all the money into a rainy day fund. Don't buy the Daytona.

Either watch will be easy to liquidate in a crunch. You might not get top dollar quickly, but you'll be able to move it in a hurry if needed and get cash.

Since you need to ADD cash for the daytona, why not just keep the pepsi and store the cash away in a rainy day fund?

Now, since very infrequently on this forum we seem to talk about the WATCH itself, rather than just money, the BLRO is more to my taste.
franktehtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 01:23 AM   #25
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktehtank View Post
If money is a concern, liquidate the BLRO now and put all the money into a rainy day fund. Don't buy the Daytona.

Either watch will be easy to liquidate in a crunch. You might not get top dollar quickly, but you'll be able to move it in a hurry if needed and get cash.

Since you need to ADD cash for the daytona, why not just keep the pepsi and store the cash away in a rainy day fund?

Now, since very infrequently on this forum we seem to talk about the WATCH itself, rather than just money, the BLRO is more to my taste.

That too is a solid point and a Pepsi gmt was always what I wanted. The only way Rolex could’ve made it better (for me) wouldve been to offer it on a oyster as it’s become mostly jewelry. I’ve also considered flipping it for a Tudor gmt because it reminds me so much more of the GMT’s I loved when I was a kid.....
Old 22 March 2020, 01:30 AM   #26
myc ritz
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Speedy, Rolex
I own both. When comparing the Daytona and BLRO off the wrist, the Daytona wins. Also, the Daytona is slightly more comfortable. That being said, the BLRO is a daily and if I could only wear one it would be the BLRO.

myc ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 01:31 AM   #27
MariettaMike
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II BLRO
As a Daytona and GMTII owner (both new models) I favor the GMTII over Daytona for several reasons: GMTII has a date feature, displays two time zones and is easier to tell time without my bifocals. It also does not scratch like the Daytona. I use the Daytona's cosmograph infrequently. (As a side: I favor my submariners SS bracelet over the Daytona's shiny bracelet).

Don't get me wrong, the Daytona is a beautiful timepiece, I just favor the GMTII over the Daytona.

MariettaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 01:34 AM   #28
Mandy01
Banned

Watch: 126333, 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung6 View Post

Good insight, buy what you can afford and enjoy it.
Mandy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 01:36 AM   #29
Monty22
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126715CHNR, 116400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
Would never buy, trade, etc...with that mindset. I don’t plan a watch buying/trading scenario for...least amount of money lost , if the sh** hits the fan etc...
Buy for enjoyment of the watch. I personally don’t look at this hobby/journey for investment, better than money in the bank, etc...
So I’d say get the watch you’ll enjoy most!
But to answer the question for your particular interest....Daytona

+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Monty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 03:12 AM   #30
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:
I’m being offered a black Daytona for BLRO plus some cash.
So is it MSRP Daytona = MSRP BLRO + bridge cash?

If so, that is close call depending on (what you can get in the secondary market for your BLRO + bridge cash) - (your resale price of the blk Daytona in the secondary market). Also, do you have the bridge cash to burn given the current environment. If not, hang on to the cash.

Quote:
That too is a solid point and a Pepsi gmt was always what I wanted. The only way Rolex could’ve made it better (for me) wouldve been to offer it on a oyster as it’s become mostly jewelry. I’ve also considered flipping it for a Tudor gmt because it reminds me so much more of the GMT’s I loved when I was a kid.....
I have a BB GMT and prefer it over the BLRO for exactly that reason. It feels like an updated version of the old Pepsi and it definitely has that tool watch appeal. So that is a great option as well.
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote