The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 10 October 2020, 04:33 AM   #1
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Vacheron 49150 vs AP 26331

I have always seen these as closely comparable watches but obviously the market disagrees. I looked for comparisons online but there are not that many so thought I would post something up. Non scientific, non expert, but my views...

They are based on the same movement, are both luxury steel sports watches with integrated bracelets and were both available around 2016 when I flirted with a couple of WG Daytonas to scratch the luxury sports watch itch (neither lasted too long). OK... The VC Overseas Gen 2 was a little long in the tooth at that point while the AP ROC was the newest revision, but my point still holds I think :)

I previously had a 49150 steel/titanium on rubber strap but didn't get on with the deployant clasp so traded it. Early 2019 I got the 26331 panda and thought I was done with the luxury sports chrono part of this hobby... Oh no, this addiction doesn't let you have the luxury of a steady state collection...

Fast forward to today when I picked up a 49150 white dial and I am blown away! It is every bit the equal to the AP in my eye but in a totally different way. The quality is amazing obviously, the bracelet is super comfortable, the dial has great depth to it, I love the big date. I expected the VC to wear big from seeing photos but it really doesn't. It hugs the wrist and sits better than the AP with no bracelet flare.

I feel like the VC could be worn in a sketchy part of town and go mostly unnoticed but would be spotted for all the right reasons by a WIS. The AP is gorgeous too, has that amazing bracelet, the superb dial, pushers that don't need to be unscrewed... but is much more ostentatious. It gets noticed whether you like it or not. Anyone into watches, or with a penchant for Instagram "celebs", will spot it and the later group should not always be made aware you have plunked down that much of an investment in your wrist trinket.

Last night I was sure that once I got the VC I would sell the AP but I'm not sure I can! I may have to justify keeping them both for a while before I decide.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 10 October 2020, 05:22 AM   #2
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Assorted!
May be uttering heresy here. If market value is of interest to you then the AP will hold/appreciate better than the VC.

Do they do the VC in a blue dial?

I went low key and chose a GP instead! (saving up for another watch)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alpharulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2020, 06:24 AM   #3
sp006
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpharulez View Post
May be uttering heresy here. If market value is of interest to you then the AP will hold/appreciate better than the VC.

Love it

sp006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2020, 06:25 AM   #4
sp006
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp006 View Post
Love it

Tried on one in the boutique and it was way more refined than I was anticipating. It's been on my list since then.

sp006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2020, 07:09 AM   #5
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Assorted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp006 View Post
Tried on one in the boutique and it was way more refined than I was anticipating. It's been on my list since then.

You bet. I saw a video on YouTube around the finish quality of the AP and having recently snagged a panda Daytona, I made up my mind to not get the RoyalOak. Having a Casioak made up for it a little bit I must say

alpharulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2020, 08:04 AM   #6
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpharulez View Post

Looks great

I bought both at market value so it is what it is. Might go up, might go down, but I'll enjoy them along the way :)

The VC is half the price of the AP preowned which is definitely not reflective of how close they both are as a package IMO.

Old 10 October 2020, 09:29 PM   #7
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

I believe that the 49150 is the most underrated, underpriced, misunderstood luxury chronograph on the market today. The big-date at 12:00, oversized 30 minute counter and large minute and hour hands give this watch terrific legibility. It's a chronograph for someone who might actually use a chronograph.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2020, 10:09 PM   #8
ap1
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

The AP reins supreme here, I would not let that go with the choices shown above. I like the VC but not at the expense of that lovely AP
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2020, 10:32 PM   #9
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
I believe that the 49150 is the most underrated, underpriced, misunderstood luxury chronograph on the market today. The big-date at 12:00, oversized 30 minute counter and large minute and hour hands give this watch terrific legibility. It's a chronograph for someone who might actually use a chronograph.
Agree with that. I feel it is very close to the AP. On par in almost all aspects and better in some. I guess where it falls down is the "recognisable across a room" factor, and the classic styling that is very close to the original 70s concept of the RO.

Old 10 October 2020, 10:37 PM   #10
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
The AP reins supreme here, I would not let that go with the choices shown above. I like the VC but not at the expense of that lovely AP
The AP is a lovely watch I agree. If they were the same price, I would choose AP. At current market pricing the 26331 is 2x the 49150. The point of my thread is guess is that the watches are much much closer peers than the price would suggest. If I had to keep one, and was selling at market price, I would sell the AP. If I was offered both for the same price, I would lean towards the AP.

I feel like both can exist in the same collection though. The VC can be used much more as a daily wearer, with high class credentials. The AP also has the high class credentials, can be dressier, but can be worn daily if you are more extroverted and don't mind a bit more bling. Just my humble opinion :)

Old 11 October 2020, 10:55 PM   #11
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
I've had a 49140 and 25860 and loved them both. What I liked about the VC was the greater WR and more flexible and comfortable bracelet (not that the AP was uncomfortable). I've since consolidated to an AP and PP but will have an Overseas back in my collection at some point.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote