The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 26 September 2023, 12:14 AM   #1
flawatch
"TRF" Member

Issues with my Sea Dweller

Hello All,

Looking for ideas. I have a Sea Dweller bought new in 2018. It stoped running while being worn about 6 weeks ago and the crown spun freely with a little grit so it wouldn't wind.

Sent off to Rolex and they quoted $1500 for a rebuild. I'm shocked to say the least. It wasn't abused, just broke somehow.

It's out of warranty. I asked the dealer if they were interested in buying it from me rather than me pay $1500 to repair a just over 5 year watch that I paid almost $13k for. My Seikos are looking better every day.

Thoughts on sending elsewhere etc? What would you do?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26 September 2023, 12:25 AM   #2
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
sell the watch if you do not love it or decide not to fix it.

you may try a local watchmaker, it should be cheaper but won't be too cheap since they have to replace many parts. it's part of the watch game.
Old 26 September 2023, 01:34 AM   #3
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I thought the newer watches had a 10 year maintenance schedule. To me that kind of implies that they should last at least 10 years without needing a service.

There are other places that can service your watch, do a search here. They will be less expensive than the RSC and will follow your instructions if you ask them not to polish it, etc.

Sounds to me like you need to get it fixed and then sell it for one of your beloved quartz watches. Or if you're really ticked-off, sell it "as-is", but you'll lose your shirt.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
Old 26 September 2023, 01:36 AM   #4
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

Did the Rolex RSC provide details on what is included in the $1500? That may help determine a bit more what happened. A basic service runs around $800 I think. I paid 1200 or 1300 for a full service including a new crystal on my Sea Dweller.
Old 26 September 2023, 02:07 AM   #5
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
…I thought the newer watches had a 10 year maintenance schedule. To me that kind of implies that they should last at least 10 years without needing a service…
The Rolex.com wording “It is recommended to service your Rolex approximately every 10 years depending on the model and real-life usage” doesn’t make any promises or claims, and it should be reasonably understood that it is referring to a watch that is otherwise working at 10 years old. If the watch is 6 years old and has stopped, it should be clear that it needs a service.

If they could guarantee it will run for 10 years without needing a service, it would have a 10 year warranty. But it doesn’t.

Old 26 September 2023, 02:13 AM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flawatch View Post
Hello All,

Looking for ideas. I have a Sea Dweller bought new in 2018. It stoped running while being worn about 6 weeks ago and the crown spun freely with a little grit so it wouldn't wind.

Sent off to Rolex and they quoted $1500 for a rebuild. I'm shocked to say the least. It wasn't abused, just broke somehow.

It's out of warranty. I asked the dealer if they were interested in buying it from me rather than me pay $1500 to repair a just over 5 year watch that I paid almost $13k for. My Seikos are looking better every day.

Thanks

Very very strange could be just the mainspring and if bought from a official AD after July 1st 2015 watch should have a 5 year warranty and as watch is not old I would go down the warranty route.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 26 September 2023, 02:15 AM   #7
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Hello All,

Thanks

If you think you’re done with the watch and want to sell it, I’m sorry to say that I think you’re in a no win situation. Without servicing it people will lowball you since it’s broken; and if you do shell out to fix it, you won’t recover 100% of the service cost.

Sorry that you’re faced with a problem to have to fix, but that is an unfortunate side to owning mechanical watches. They require maintenance, and sometimes that is sooner than expected.

Hope whatever you decide to do is the best call for you
Old 26 September 2023, 02:33 AM   #8
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
I would just pay the $1,500. Trying to sell a watch serviced by RSC with documentation will be much easier than if serviced elsewhere.
Old 26 September 2023, 02:41 AM   #9
georgew
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: mostly Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Plains View Post
I would just pay the $1,500. Trying to sell a watch serviced by RSC with documentation will be much easier than if serviced elsewhere.
and being recently serviced can be an actual selling point in your favor
Old 26 September 2023, 02:58 AM   #10
Rolexken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree as well - it’s unlucky but just like a car gearbox failing just out of warranty - get it done and then decide what to do.
Old 26 September 2023, 03:37 AM   #11
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
If the dealer won't buy it then you'll have no choice but to fix it - you would take a huge hit selling a non running watch otherwise.
Old 26 September 2023, 03:43 AM   #12
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
I would push back with the dealer since it is just out of warranty and see if they will comp the service. If not, get a quote from a local watchmaker.
Old 26 September 2023, 03:48 AM   #13
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
It costs what it costs. I paid more than that to have a new water heater installed. As much as it seems, it’s not that much to get your watch running again.
Old 26 September 2023, 04:41 AM   #14
flawatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleP View Post
I would push back with the dealer since it is just out of warranty and see if they will comp the service. If not, get a quote from a local watchmaker.

Thanks, doing that right now if the dealer will ever call me back. Frustrating process.

Old 26 September 2023, 05:19 AM   #15
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks, doing that right now if the dealer will ever call me back. Frustrating process.

I believe Sea-Dwellers are RSC-only for servicing. I think they need specific tools for the case back which Rolex withhold from even watch makers with parts accounts. Plus there’s the pressure testing.

You’re probably stuck with the RSC quote but maybe you just need to ask what they’re quoting for. I imagine for that money you’ll get a full service and they’ll fix the fault; basically return it to factory spec. The price sounds about right for a SD model.
Old 26 September 2023, 05:51 AM   #16
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
As others have said … bite the bullet, have it serviced at RSC. You’ll also get a 2 year warranty which will add credibility if you decide to sell.
Old 26 September 2023, 05:54 AM   #17
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
It’s something that comes with it, I haven’t had too many issues myself. My SD43 is running slow but not enough for me to care. If you paid the same money for a car, you would get the same repair bills, but much more frequently :)
Old 26 September 2023, 05:58 AM   #18
6161HH
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 Explorer
Quote:

If I were in your shoes I would contact Dallas RSC and have them do the necessary service. I’ve dealt with Dallas RSC in the past, and they are solid. Be sure to save your service receipt should you someday sell it as it also verifies that your Rolex is legitimate. Good luck!
Old 26 September 2023, 06:41 AM   #19
Warningshot
"TRF" Member

I would ask for details. It’s possible the required service and recommended replacements are different. $850 is the standard service price plus any parts not covered in a standard service.
Old 26 September 2023, 07:10 AM   #20
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I assume it is still at Rolex. I would just let them fix it and decide where to go from there.
Old 26 September 2023, 07:54 AM   #21
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Hello All,

Thanks

You could just stick it in a drawer and leave it be until you've decided how to move forward.
It's a time honoured practice that works unless you really want to flick it. In that case it's best to let Rolex have their way with you and then sell it as soon as it comes back from them all polished to perfection and with the fresh service protective stickers in place after it's been fully refurbished.
That way you will get the best return on the money put into it.
It's really a pity it's not working, but this may be your best outcome anyway if you're over the watch.

The purchase price vs cost of ownership is all relative.
I had a cutting edge Seiko that was great which cost me $119 back in the day and over the years that I owned it I probably put $130 into servicing the thing until it finally died and could no longer be repaired
Using those numbers in an equation, the Rolex may see you out if their claims around 10 year service intervals are factual.
But as it has been well pointed out, the reality is a very fluid thing according to Rolex themselves.
Old 26 September 2023, 08:07 AM   #22
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I'm in the get-it-fixed boat. Once back from the RSC, you can then decide what to do with your freshly overhauled piece, plus service papers and the 2 years warranty. Maybe the AD can meet you half way.
Old 26 September 2023, 08:26 AM   #23
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
I'm in the get-it-fixed boat. Once back from the RSC, you can then decide what to do with your freshly overhauled piece, plus service papers and the 2 years warranty. Maybe the AD can meet you half way.
Why should the AD have to pay for a repair? They aren’t making anything off an RSC charge.

I’d be careful about pushing the AD. You might just push yourself off the call list when the next desired reference comes in.
Old 26 September 2023, 08:31 AM   #24
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
I also remember reading the Sea Dwellers also have to go back to Rolex in Geneva for servicing since they only have the equipment there to service it.

I would fix it and sell it if you don’t like it
Old 26 September 2023, 08:42 AM   #25
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleg View Post
I’d be careful about pushing the AD. You might just push yourself off the call list when the next desired reference comes in.
Of course that's assuming the OP has desires in that regard

As you correctly allude to, the Dealer has no obligations to play in the servicing space in this instance.
Especially as Rolex are following SOP anyway.
Old 26 September 2023, 10:31 AM   #26
Easy E

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
As others have said … bite the bullet, have it serviced at RSC. You’ll also get a 2 year warranty which will add credibility if you decide to sell.
+1. The two year service warranty adds street creds.
Old 26 September 2023, 12:04 PM   #27
RichM

Watch: out now,take care!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
+1. The two year service warranty adds street creds.
+2 but keep it and continue to enjoy it for the next 10 years.
TRF #139960
Old 26 September 2023, 12:09 PM   #28
rmurphy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16600
It’s a Rolex, fix it and you’ll probably not have another problem with it, then grow old with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 26 September 2023, 12:17 PM   #29
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

I don’t understand - $1,500 repair bill has you wanting to sell the watch back?
Old 26 September 2023, 12:42 PM   #30
twinfo
Banned

Watch: DateJust 1126300
Quote:
I totally agree with this
Closed Thread