The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 February 2024, 01:30 AM   #1
capital
"TRF" Member

GMT Meteorite Italian version

Hi all,

We all know meteorite dials are by definition unique.
I wonder if you have noticed recognizable patterns on yours ?

It seems that I got the "Italian" meteorite given the boot at the 42nd minute mark

Sent from my SM-A546B using Tapatalk
capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 01:35 AM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
You can identify a meteorite dial by its Widmanstatten pattern,Rolex uses for there dials meteorite made from the Gibeon meteorite,the Gibeon had a very high nickel content, so it's very stable and basically won't rust.And the main cost is not so much the meteorite material around $5-$6 a gram for top quality slices, it's the labour process costs to produce a perfect dial.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 02:10 AM   #3
PT_91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
You can identify a meteorite dial by its Widmanstatten pattern,Rolex uses for there dials meteorite made from the Gibeon meteorite,the Gibeon had a very high nickel content, so it's very stable and basically won't rust.And the main cost is not so much the meteorite material around $5-$6 a gram for top quality slices, it's the labour process costs to produce a perfect dial.
While I admire your knowledge around "everything Rolex", I don't think that this is an answer to OP's question.
PT_91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 02:15 AM   #4
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by capital View Post
Hi all,

We all know meteorite dials are by definition unique.
I wonder if you have noticed recognizable patterns on yours ?

It seems that I got the "Italian" meteorite given the boot at the 42nd minute mark

That’s kind of cool
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 02:28 AM   #5
wilsonpepper
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
According to the interweb:

The Gibeon is an Iron Meteorite and is classified as a group IVA fine octahedrite and is composed of mostly Iron (91.8%) and Nickel (7.7%) with about 0.5% other trace elements.

The beautiful crystalline patterns found within Gibeon meteorites are known as Widmanstatten patterns, and are unique to meteorites.

Scientists agree that the Widmanstatten pattern supports their theories that these cosmic meteorites were once ancient planets that were destroyed around 4.5 billion years ago by catastrophic events during the formation of our solar system.

These signature patterns (which cannot ever be man-made) were formed over literally millions of years of very slow cooling.

It is estimated that it took about 1000 years for these molten remnants of planetary core to cool by just 1 degree Celsius - further suggesting these meteorites have been in space for many millions of years.
wilsonpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 03:11 AM   #6
ol' Rex
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Wikipedia:

Italy (Italian: Italia, Italian: [iˈtaːlja] ⓘ), officially the Italian Republic (Italian: Repubblica Italiana, Italian: [reˈpubblika itaˈljaːna]), is a country in Southern[14][15][16] and Western[17][a] Europe. Located in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea, it consists of a peninsula delimited by the Alps and surrounded by several islands.[18] Italy shares land borders with France, Switzerland, Austria, Slovenia and the enclaved microstates of Vatican City and San Marino. It has a territorial exclave in Switzerland (Campione) and an archipelago in the African Plate (Pelagie Islands). Italy covers an area of 301,340 km2 (116,350 sq mi),[3] with a population of nearly 60 million;[19] it is the tenth-largest country by land area in the European continent and the third-most populous member state of the European Union. Its capital and largest city is Rome.

The Italian peninsula was historically the native place and destination of numerous ancient peoples.[20] The Latin city of Rome in central Italy, founded as a Kingdom, became a Republic that conquered the Mediterranean world and ruled it for centuries as an Empire.[21][22] With the spread of Christianity, Rome became the seat of the Catholic Church and of the Papacy. During the Early Middle Ages, Italy experienced the fall of the Western Roman Empire and inward migration from Germanic tribes. By the 11th century, Italian city-states and maritime republics expanded, bringing renewed prosperity through commerce and laying the groundwork for modern capitalism.[23][24] The Italian Renaissance flourished in Florence during the 15th and 16th centuries and spread to the rest of Europe. Italian explorers also discovered new routes to the Far East and the New World, helping to usher in the European Age of Discovery. However, centuries of rivalry and infighting between the Italian city-states among other factors left the peninsula divided into numerous states until the late modern period.[25][26] During the 17th and 18th centuries, the Italian economic and commercial importance significantly waned.[27]

After centuries of political and territorial divisions, Italy was almost entirely unified in 1861 following Wars of independence and the Expedition of the Thousand, establishing the Kingdom of Italy.[28] From the late 19th century to the early 20th century, Italy rapidly industrialised, mainly in the north, and acquired a colonial empire,[29] while the south remained largely impoverished and excluded from industrialisation, fuelling a large immigrant diaspora.[30] From 1915 to 1918, Italy took part in World War I on the side of the Entente and against the Central Powers. In 1922, following a period of crisis and turmoil, the Italian fascist dictatorship was established. During World War II, Italy was first part of the Axis until it surrendered to the Allied powers (1940–1943) and then, as part of its territory was occupied by Nazi Germany with fascist collaboration, a co-belligerent of the Allies during the Italian resistance and the liberation of Italy (1943–1945). Following the end of the war, the country replaced the monarchy with a republic via referendum and enjoyed a prolonged economic boom, becoming a major advanced economy.[31]

Italy has the eighth-largest nominal GDP in the world, the second-largest manufacturing industry in Europe (7th-largest in the world).[32] The country has a significant role in regional[33][34] and global[35][36] economic, military, cultural, and diplomatic affairs. Italy is a founding and leading member of the European Union, and it is in numerous international institutions including NATO, the G7, the Mediterranean Union, and the Latin Union. The source of many inventions and discoveries, the country is considered a cultural superpower and has long been a global centre of art, music, literature, cuisine, science and technology, and fashion.[37] It has the world's largest number of World Heritage Sites (58), and is the world's fifth-most visited country.
Old 20 February 2024, 03:55 AM   #7
Order 72
Banned

Assurdo
Order 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 04:03 AM   #8
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

This thread is weird :)
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 04:09 AM   #9
capital
"TRF" Member

Why my post attracted all these bots is a mystery

capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 04:36 AM   #10
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

A Sicilian friend used to tell the joke..."why is Italy shaped like a boot?.....because, you can't get that much s**t, in a plimsole".

Use your eyes, folks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg th-2204966658.jpeg (65.8 KB, 1186 views)
Speedbird-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 05:00 AM   #11
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

_n4.jpg

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 04:35 PM   #12
prushkovez
"TRF" Member

nuts
Old 20 February 2024, 07:47 PM   #13
rappvctrinity
"TRF" Member

I like the Meteorite dials with the most marks and scratches. this is a nice one!
rappvctrinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 10:16 PM   #14
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Cool watch but I have a hard time reading the dial.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 10:40 PM   #15
cmc_tht
"TRF" Member

Beautiful!
cmc_tht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 01:16 AM   #16
Little machines
"TRF" Member

Very cool that you found the boot of Italy . Beautiful dial and watch!
Little machines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2024, 05:22 AM   #17
Dusty_Kid
Banned

Watch: AP
Fantastic watch !!!!!

Dusty_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 06:43 AM   #18
Vigilance247
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41
Bootiful dial LOL
Old 23 February 2024, 06:44 AM   #19
HotToddyTX
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610LV, 1678
Lots of character in that beauty!
Old 23 February 2024, 07:07 AM   #20
Yoda_Eating_Pizza
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: it spin
Sort of looks like a skinny Lousiana.
Yoda_Eating_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 07:30 AM   #21
yankeeromeo
2024 Pledge Member

Great thread thanks for sharing
yankeeromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 11:06 AM   #22
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Cool picture. Interesting that you can see this zoomed close. I can’t notice or see the dark hue, “chameleon” like color, or these deep ridges when looking at my meteorite dial with just my eyes.

I’ll need to loupe it sometime
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 12:37 PM   #23
steveclr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660
Quote:
Thanks for the info, most of us appreciate it.
steveclr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 12:49 PM   #24
cdmorenot

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Way cool! It’s like admiring an abstract painting.
Old 23 February 2024, 12:50 PM   #25
cdmorenot

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Thanks, Peter!
Old 23 February 2024, 08:37 PM   #26
the_wristlist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126720 VTNR
That dial detail is absolutely stunning.
the_wristlist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2024, 08:21 AM   #27
mdubs
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
That is just a phenomenal GMT! Looks great and wear in good health!

-Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mdubs is offline   Reply With Quote