The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 February 2007, 05:20 AM   #1
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

discounts

Is it me or are discounts on Rolex more and more frequent (and larger) these days?

I read posts where some are getting really large discounts from ADs. North of 20%. I am not just talking gold models either.

Do you think Rolex is pricing themselves out of the market, or at least to a point where discounts are needed to move the watches? Many of the sports models do not have improved bracelets or clasps yet, but still prices increase.

I mean how soon will it be before the ND sub hits $5K? How crazy will that be?

I used to think that Rolex was like oakley, nikon, or cartier (to a point). No discounts, very tight on price control, and no internet or Costco sales.

I always knew way back when discounts could be had, but not as big as today and with a little work. Now all you need to do is walk into a store and they tell you right off the bat what discount they are willing to start with.

I am not saying all this in a bad way, in fact the opposite. I liked Rolexes iron fist strategy on pricing. Makes me feel good that for the most part I will be getting a similar deal to the next guy. And the used market is kept solid.

I know Rolex will not go the way of certain watches that across the board will offer 30% discounts. Or have a retail price of 5K, but you can pick it up for $3 pretty easily. Or at least I hope they will not end up that way. I just think that would take something away from the watch cache in general.

Any other thoughts?
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2007, 05:30 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Good post, Mark.

We must remember that at the end of the day, it's usually a BUYER'S market - NOT a Seller's one.

It's the buyer who's forking over the cash, and the one who holds the $$$ usually calls the shots.

In many countries, Rolex may not be as fast a seller as in other countries. Here in Auckland, the disposable income of most people would never match their buy capabilities for a Rolex. They have other priorities, many of them are deep in debt by way of mortgage, finance, hire-purchases, leases, etc....so a Rolex would NEVER be on their agenda.

The ADs want to MOVE their stock....so naturally discounts would be the order of the day. The percentage of discount would naturally vary from city to city and also from country to country.

Besides, the competition out there from other manufacturers like Omega, Breitling, IWC, JLC, etc. is getting pretty fierce. These guys are coming up with newer designs, more attractive models all the time....while Rolex's modifications move at the speed of a glacier.

A Rolex person will always buy a Rolex....but we all have our limitations.

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2007, 05:35 AM   #3
A. Jacobs
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub Date 16610
I'd like to know about these ADs you guys keep talking about and the discounts they offer. I was told by the two in my area that they could not offer "big" discounts on Rolex watches. But I did get a $100.00 discount for paying cash. Wow! $100.00 off! It must've been my lucky day.

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."
A. Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2007, 05:43 AM   #4
Prince Tudor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post

I mean how soon will it be before the ND sub hits $5K? How crazy will that be?
Any other thoughts?
I think it already has.
The MSRP in Canada is just under $5500 CAD for a N/D sub. That is not including the discount. probably around 20-25%. Which puts it pretty close to 5K USD not taking the discount in to play.
I have to agree with JJ though, b/c Rolex has not changed much over the years it has an affect. IMO that probably boosts the vintage/pre-owned sales but does not do much for new.
Unless you are a Rolex nut who sees the difference between a maxi dial and a reg. etc...
Good post! Something to really think about.
Prince Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2007, 05:46 AM   #5
Prince Tudor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Jacobs View Post
I'd like to know about these ADs you guys keep talking about and the discounts they offer. I was told by the two in my area that they could not offer "big" discounts on Rolex watches. But I did get a $100.00 discount for paying cash. Wow! $100.00 off! It must've been my lucky day.
I guess it really does vary by country.
We (Canada) really get hit with the taxes. 14% in Ontario.
Add a ton of $ to that if you order outside of the country.
Old 5 February 2007, 05:51 AM   #6
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Come to Auckland, Andrew. Here you get a hundred bucks off for merely stepping through the hallowed portals of the AD.

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2007, 05:51 AM   #7
A. Jacobs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Tudor View Post
I guess it really does vary by country.
We (Canada) really get hit with the taxes. 14% in Ontario.
Add a ton of $ to that if you order outside of the country.
I can understand Rolex not wanting their ADs to discount their watches too much because of the risk of "cheapening the brand". I guess I don't have a problem paying nearly full retail for a Rolex for that reason alone, but I am suprised at the inconsistent reports of discounts from around the world.

Old 5 February 2007, 05:55 AM   #8
A. Jacobs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Come to Auckland, Andrew. Here you get a hundred bucks off for merely stepping through the hallowed portals of the AD.
Is that an invite, JJ?
If so, then I have to decline until I work up enough nerve, or testicular fortitude, to step on an airplane for the first time in my life. My wife is disappointed in me for not wanting to fly because she would love to go to Paris, Australia, Hawaii, and so on. Maybe I should find a good shrink.

Old 5 February 2007, 06:45 AM   #9
Prince Tudor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I can understand Rolex not wanting their ADs to discount their watches too much because of the risk of "cheapening the brand". I guess I don't have a problem paying nearly full retail for a Rolex for that reason alone, but I am suprised at the inconsistent reports of discounts from around the world.
True.....I guess it really depends on the demand.
Old 5 February 2007, 09:37 AM   #10
SeaGoer

Watch: TT YM, TT GMT IIC
Here in the States, Rolex USA has been trying to artificially control the market and safeguard margins by controlling competition between ADs.
Hence the total lack of a published list of ADs, abstense from internet sales etc.
It is the consumers choice to play along or not. A list of ADs for a specific area or zip code(s) may be obtained from the distributor and from that point on is entirely how much time one is willing to spent pursuing it.
One thing is for sure; there are definatelly discounts out there.
SeaGoer is offline   Reply With Quote