The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 February 2007, 08:52 PM   #1
SD81
"TRF" Member

Icon3 Me and my new Rolex

Hi all,

Please note that although I now own a Rolex, I wrote this review as a subjective newcomer to the Rolex scene and as such wrote it without bias or motive. I just wrote down a short bullet point list of thoughts and points and put them together to form some sort of review, which may explain the distinct lack of fluidity when reading it. It probably comes across as more of an expanded group of random thoughts rather than a well constructed insight into my experiences and for that I apologise.

I did not want to delve too much into the details of discussing bezels, case backs, bracelets etc as generally, they are all the same and everyone else seems to have covered that more than adequately, so I left those bits out and just pointed out bits that I noticed generally.
I have put in a little info about where I started, what I was looking for and what I ended up with and general comments along the way.

Well, here goes………………………………….

About 5 years ago, at the tender age of 20, during my days as a student, I purchased my first “proper” watch – an automatic Omega Seamaster. My girlfriend (at the time, although now fiancé as of Dec 10th) got the gents midsize too. About a year ago, however, I sold it.
I really missed having a “proper” watch on my wrist, but just did not have the time to really do anything about it. It was just one of those things that got put on the backburner as it really was not as important as some of the other things going on in my life at the time.

I do have a few other watches (G-Shock Gulfman, Citizen Aqualand are my 2 favourites of them), so I resorted to wearing my Aqualand for the majority of the time. These are fantastic watches by the way and seriously tough, but I did find it difficult to wear for all occasions, as it has a rubber strap and is not really a “work” watch and somewhat difficult to wear for formal occasions and under shirt sleeves as it is quite a chucky watch.

Things started to work themselves out in my life and the task list got shorter and shorter and I finally started to think about replacing my Seamaster.
I looked back to my happy days with the Omega, but sadly remembered all the comments I received along the lines of “is that the new James Bond watch?”. Unfortunately, I bought my Seamaster without knowing James Bond was wearing one. Fortunately, I did get the version with the polished bezel and slightly different strap. Don’t get me wrong, it was a good solid watch that actually kept better time than my Sea Dweller, but I just think the Seamasters are a bit too numerous these days.

Then I looked at Breitling, being different from Omega and thought that I might enjoy working up to my grail, but find them to be a bit “blingy” in the flesh to be honest and far too shiny for my liking, although having tried on a brushed finish Superocean and a Chrono Avenger (titanium), I am looking at them in a different light. Two very worthy watches. Looking at it, the Superocean seems excellent value for money, especially at £895 for an “as new” second hand one.

I then found the Planet Ocean and fell in love with it. I was going to buy one on a steel strap and then get the rubber strap to wear for underwater activities and day to day as I had really enjoyed the rubber experience from my Aqualand. When I needed something a little more formal, I could put the metal bracelet back on. I then heard the rumour that James Bond would be wearing one in the new film, so I thought I would wait and prey that he might wear the bright orange bezel version, so I could get away with my choice in black. Needless to say, my luck was going down the pan and he wore the exact combination that I wanted to buy and wear. Boo hoo hoo.

Don’t get me wrong, I know Bond wore Subs in films too, but I just feel the Omega sponsorship thing is now becoming a bit tacky. Lets not even get started about the new line in the film where Vespa asks Bond which type of expensive watch he is wearing “Rolex??”. “No” he replies, “Omega”. Yuk. Pass the bucket please. I think they are overdoing it just a bit. Flemming chose the Sub not only because it was his own personal watch that he took off his wrist and lent to Sean Connery for the film, but because he felt it was a watch which summed up his conception of Bond appropriately; sharp but smooth, classy and understated, but something that would look good anywhere and would take whatever you could throw at it and still get the job done. A bit like Bond.

I then went back to my dream watch – Rolex. I originally dismissed the idea of owning one at this time due to finances, but after much deliberation with my fiancé, I made the sacrifice.

I was really torn between the Submariner and the Sea Dweller and it took me months of painstaking decision making to finally decide to go with the SD. I spent ages reading through your forums and reviews on the internet.
I like the Cyclops on the crystal, but really quite fancied having the “daddy” version and going with the SD. I also really liked the history of COMEX with the Sea Dweller. Then I thought the lack of Cyclops might be a little more stealth-like for general wear as it is normally the first thing you notice. In fact, my SD actually gets no attention at all. Perfect.

Well, what can I say about my SD? It is a great watch, well thought out, well built and beautifully finished. It just feels so solid. Trying to find a way to explain it is so difficult, but it feels bombproof. It is what I call a “Ronseal watch” (those of you in the UK will remember the TV advert hopefully) - it does exactly what it says on the tin. I find the bracelet easy to operate and I really like the diving extension and toolkit and spare links. The only thing I find annoying is that the “crown” mark on the crown does not lie in a straight line with the watch when you look at it from a side profile, but that could just be me being a bit fussy I suppose. Other than that, I have no discrepancies with the build quality at all – it is all first class.

Presentation wise, it looks lovely sitting against that nice off-white suede lining the box, although the new “wave effect” on the outside of the new boxes looks and feels really nasty in the flesh. It is almost like it is a dodgy Chinese copy of what should be a Rolex watch box. Still, I don’t have to look at it much. The inside of the box is lovely. Very soft and protective for the watch. I do like the wood of the old one though, but you can’t have everything. The Seamaster box was definitely far superior. It had the same quality interior, but the box and red leather finish with the silver badge were way ahead of this new Rolex plastic box I have in front of me.

The watch is very comfy and ergonomically designed to wear all day, every day in every condition without noticing it is even there, but always being able to rely on the fact that it always is and working like a dream, although running fast in my case.

It looks good with any outfit, from swimming shorts, to sailing rig, to dinner jacket and work suit. Truly versatile. The model I have also has the added benefit of you not being able to see the bracelet spring bar ends where the bracelet joins to the watch case at the lugs. This does have its downside though when it comes to changing the NATO strap, but I prefer the simple look of the sides of the watch without the holes.
I now have a “Bond NATO” for it. They look great as a combination. Very versatile and you can wear it with anything. I find it so much comfier than the Oyster bracelet and I think it will get plenty of use. I would also quite like to investigate the possibility of fitting a rubber strap too, so am keeping my eyes peeled for something that grabs my attention. I would be grateful if anyone out there has any pics of either a Sub or SD on a rubber strap that they could post or send me!!! I wish Rolex would make a rubber strap for their sports watches. Some of us nutters do actually get them very wet indeed and use them well!!!

As you may have guessed from earlier in my post, I like a versatile watch. Decisions about which watch to wear can be a nightmare. This is why I love the SD. I like a watch I can wear all the time and not worry about, whether it be fishing, diving, off-roading, shooting, snorkelling, dinner out, work etc. You may have to change your clothes to suit the occasion, but a Rolex will always fit the occasion.

Are there any downsides to owning a Rolex and in particular, my model?
Well, you are always slightly more aware that you are wearing a Rolex and do sometimes wonder whether it may get you into trouble one day walking alone in the dark, but then again, you worry about being hit by a car when you cross the road, but it doesn’t stop you crossing, does it!!

It feels quite a thick watch compared to the Submariner, even though there is only 2mm in it, so I would definitely advise someone who likes a slightly slimmer watch to opt for the Sub, with or without cyclops, depending on preference. There is definitely a difference on the wrist between the SD and Sub, so anyone who is unsure really needs to try one on. The initial size difference is apparent, but quickly disappears and you get used to the different feel of the watch.

My bezel was also very stiff to use at first, although it became fractionally easier to operate as time moved on and is now fine and moves perfectly through the 120 clicks.

As a personal note, I am also finding it really difficult to get the bracelet to the right size.
I either find it a little too tight so it becomes a bit clammy underneath or a little loose so it keeps moving all over the place. I have tried adding links; playing with the adjustment on the clasp etc and tried several different combinations of bracelet length and adjustments on the clasp, but just cant seem to get it perfect. I must have an odd wrist or am being a bit too fussy. I think it might be that I have been moving from warm to cool environments since I bought it and as such, my wrist will expand and contract slightly. I am hoping that when the temperature settles a little more, the watch will too.

I do have to say that the lume on the Rolex is not as good as my Seamaster, but then again, the markers on the Seamaster were a lot larger, so it is a bit unfair to judge it really.

I am not too pleased with the timekeeping either. I worked it out over the last 6 weeks of ownership and it is gaining about 10 – 12 seconds per day, which I am not happy about at all.

Owning and wearing it was not the great experience I had expected it to be, but then I suppose having owned a decent watch before, it was to be expected. As the watch I had wanted for years, I was expecting to walk around with a smile on my face like a Cheshire cat, constantly looking at it and admiring it all day long. But I don’t. Whether this has something to do with the simple, no fuss design of the watch I don’t know. I would imagine someone completely new to watches going straight out and buying one would be quite a different feeling. I suppose if I was being fussy, in my opinion, the watch actually looks better on other people or in shops rather than actually on yourself (or me). As I say, just my opinion.

Do I regret buying it? Ha ha ha, you must be joking. I really am pleased with it, but I am trying to give a well balanced review, hence some criticisms. I have not owned a Rolex before and don’t believe in saying something is great until you know so, regardless of price, so I am trying to give a non-bias review.

Well, it is off to get its first proper water session (other than my bath and shower and car washing) in a few weeks. We are off to the Canaries for 2 weeks and I plan on doing plenty of diving, so hopefully I will have some nice pics for you all to look at when I return. I don’t think we will be going any deeper than about 30m though, so nothing too serious.

I was actually looking at watches again the other night (purely out of interest, rather than purchasing!!!) and my other half said “oooooh, that’s nice. Who makes them?”. Panerai I said. “They look lovely”, she said, perhaps you should get one of those next”? Who am I to argue??
If anyone can give me any ideas about these watches (especially those who also own a Rolex and could compare quality etc), I would be mostly grateful. Do they do them in ladies or gents mid-size? I don’t like the look of them actually, but it would be very handy as a wedding present for my other half if she likes them that much.

The only real problem I find now is the amount of time per day I now spend reading through the forums looking for good posts. I must spend 2 or more hours a day doing it at regular intervals. This is becoming a dangerous addiction and I blame you all for getting me started!!! It is the fault of all of you for all your postings about Subs and SD’s that caused me to be in this mess in the first place and I thank you all for it, although some of you are clearly as bonkers and off-the-chart as me. You people make me smile, laugh and despair and it has been a great entrance into the world of watch enthusiasts.

By the way, what does WIS stand for?? It has been puzzling me for ages.

I am quite an active person, as you may have gathered. Most of my hobbies involve a high risk of damage to self and belongings (racing yachts, shooting, offroad driving, diving, snorkelling and bushcraft to name a few), so I will let you know how it wears and handles things in a few months once the racing season and summer shooting is over with.

I hope you have enjoyed the review. Hopefully, some pics will follow soon.
SD81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2007, 08:59 PM   #2
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Welcome aboard, SD!

Great review on the SD, but speaking for yours truly, you're preaching to the converted!

WIS stands for Watch Idiot Savant. That's the kind of guy who'll remember all the models and calibers Rolex used in 1964 but who'll just as easily forget his wife's birthday - being enroute to the altar, I figured I may as well warn you about the risks posed by this forum!

Anyway, happy posting, and we want to see pics - lots of them!
Old 6 February 2007, 09:07 PM   #3
amanda
Banned

Wow what a post!!!

Welcome aboard and congrats on your magnificent SD!! Where's the pictures of your SD??? There, I got in first!

Now Panerai... they dont exactly make a womans size. The smallest size is the 40mm... most ladies seem to get right into the PAM00049 it's a white faced watch on leather with deployant and looks fabulous in just about any coloured strap. Perfect to coordinate with different clothes/handbags etc

I'm buying a Panerai very soon... a 44mm size.. love the watches. They are ruggered just like a Rolex and keep excellent time.

EDIT : Damn James bet me too it with the where's the photos thing!
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2007, 09:23 PM   #4
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
Great story and review!

And yeah, what the hec does WIS stand for? Watch Enthusiast?
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2007, 10:17 PM   #5
miner
"TRF" Member

Welcome to TRF, great post and a magic watch.

I also struggled with the bracelet fit and I'm convinced a sub half link on the 6 oclock side would fix it a treat (as opposed to the full link that the sd has). It is also a relatively heavy watch which tends to flop around if the bracelet is too loose.

Might have to get a sub and swap bracelets

miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2007, 10:19 PM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Great story and review the SD is my favourite sports,but Comex started first with the prototype H/Valve.In the Comex only Rolex Non date Sub 5513 later Comex used the SD.Welcome to TRF regarding the diving for the average recreational diver 30m is deep enough.And if your SD can stand the water pressure at its rated depth. It will take all you could ever give it with ease and more

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2007, 10:44 PM   #7
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
Well thought out post! Welcome to the Forum.

.......................--::**::--..Rolex Forever..--::**::--.........................
...............I KNEEL IN THE LONG SHADOW OF YOUR GREATNESS.............
nko51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2007, 11:43 PM   #8
TT Datejust

Welcome SD81! Good story. I'm a SD addict too.
TT Datejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2007, 03:19 PM   #9
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Great review, enjoyed reading it. I too converted over to the SD from a no date sub. I just missed the date, and I'm not a fan of the cyclops.

Congrats on your SD!
Old 7 February 2007, 06:45 PM   #10
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
Hello,
I enjoyed your review, welcome to the forum. I also have a SD as well. It is my daily use watch. Enjoy your trip, and I am looking forward to photos of your trip.
Tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2007, 11:57 PM   #11
djasniew

Watch: Sea-Dweller4000
Great post! I share most of your thoughts as well. The SD is understated and solid. The one thing that sticks out though is gain in time you experience. I have had my SD for almost a year. My SD gains only 1-2 secs a week. At night I lay the watch on the HEV keeps great time. Enjoy your watch I sure enjoy mine.
djasniew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2007, 02:39 AM   #12
Kris
Banned

Watch: Sea-Dweller Z-ser.
A great post! Nothing wrong with thorough posting. I do it to :)

I commend you on your choice of the SD. It's my one and only watch also. I purchased mine brand new less than a month ago and think it's great. I had made mention in one of my own posts that originally I was all set to purchase a GMT II, but after reading a review of the SD from a well known critic I thought twice and the next day (the day of purchase), I walked into the AD and asked to try on the SD for the first time. My AD had 2 SD's in her case and when I was in there the first time, I didn't even bother to check the watch out as I didn't know too much about it and had no interest in it at all.

Anyways, I was glad I read that review as I tried the watch on and fell in love immediately. I told the AD at that moment "This is it! This is the watch. I want it now!" :)

The rest as they say is history.

I agree with the sizing issues you're experiencing. I've tried fiddling with the band and removing links and have not been able to find a perfect fit. It's either too tight or too loose. I figure to get a perfect fit, I'd need a customized link made by Rolex. The watch by it's nature is just top-heavy. I've learned to live and love it.
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2007, 03:32 AM   #13
sooner
"TRF" Member

Thanks, SD81, for an interesting post. I was wondering what is your source for your comment on Ian Fleming?
sooner is offline   Reply With Quote