The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 June 2024, 12:00 PM   #1
fozzyf18
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTII,TT & SS Sub
Great AD Experience in North Shore Boston Part II / Update

Back in December, right around Christmas-time 2023, I started this thread:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=930431

Recap, I walked into Long's in Peabody,MA cold because it is the closest to my "home base" as I have and struck up a conversation with Devin, looked at several Rolexes, tried on a few, asked to be considered for a few. I enjoyed the interaction knowing the current market, and some on the forum agreed that it was a positive interaction and some disagreed. No worries there, differing opinions is what makes this forum great and why I stick around.

Devin was matter-of-fact and suggested that I talk to a local AD, but after I told him that I didn't have one within 3 hour drive of my location at the time, he took my list down.

A month later Devin delivered and my wife's wish for a 278274 was fulfilled. Unfortunately, I knew it was going to sit in a safe for a few months until I returned to Boston to collect it.

In April, Devin told me that he had a JC DSSD and it was my turn if I wanted it. I paid for it immediately and into the safe it went next to my wife's watch.

Fast forward to today when I was able to make it up to Boston and collect my goods. We received the champagne fitting treatment and happily walked out with two new beautiful watches. As an aside, the gentleman that was obviously (to me) the plained-clothed security guy toting a Roscoe followed us out Long's and made sure that we made it safely to our car in the parking lot and stood overwatch until we drove away. A very very nice touch offered by this location even if you don't know it is happening.

Long's had a much larger "FOR DISPLAY ONLY" selection than they had six months ago, by a factor of 5 by my estimation. It was a good day, and I don't choose to use "incoming" to announce a new watch because that means something completely different to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_4996.jpeg (253.8 KB, 595 views)
fozzyf18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2024, 12:10 PM   #2
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozzyf18 View Post
I knew it was going to sit in a safe for a few months until I returned to Boston to collect it.

In April, Devin told me that he had a JC DSSD and it was my turn if I wanted it. I paid for it immediately and into the safe it went next to my wife's watch.
ADs are allowed to do this?
Laine V38 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS - Garmin Approach S62
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2024, 12:37 PM   #3
fozzyf18
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post
Well, I cannot speak with authority on what ADs are allowed or not allowed to do. What I can tell you that I purchased these two watches through two different online/virtual transactions in this case (and three others in the past), and I opted not to have these watches shipped to my residence for personal reasons. This particular AD held my watches for me until I could collect them onsite. I thought this was a nice gesture on their part. And quite frankly I was pretty pleased with their willingness to accommodate my requests. This was my request, not theirs. No malfesence here what-so-ever.

And I paid full MA sales tax on both transactions.

So in my case, it worked out well and both my wife and myself are very happy with our watches. YMMV. (Chewey would say Rolexeseses!)
Old 29 June 2024, 12:48 PM   #4
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Lucky for you.

Most of my AD visits are in NYC (I am from the west coast from a state with only 4 ADs), I am told if I get the call, I only have a few days to claim the watch, and someone (if not me, someone who knows me) must be in store when the watch is paid for.

I find this policy really ridiculous and would really prefer it if I could pay by phone and pick up the watch the next time I am in town (which is every few weeks). I guess this is a store policy, not a Rolex policy?

Another reason it is hard to buy a watch from an AD...
Laine V38 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS - Garmin Approach S62
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
Old 29 June 2024, 01:17 PM   #5
fozzyf18
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Lucky for you.

Most of my AD visits are in NYC (I am from the west coast from a state with only 4 ADs), I am told if I get the call, I only have a few days to claim the watch, and someone (if not me, someone who knows me) must be in store when the watch is paid for.

I find this policy really ridiculous and would really prefer it if I could pay by phone and pick up the watch the next time I am in town (which is every few weeks). I guess this is a store policy, not a Rolex policy?

Another reason it is hard to buy a watch from an AD...
When my wife's watch became available and the AD told me it was mine if I wanted it. I had not previously had a purchase history with this AD so they would not accept a credit card. I wired the money instead. The AD would hold the watch that I had purchased until I was able to travel to collect it.

When I got "the call" for the DSSD JC, I was able to purchase with a credit card since I had a previous purchase. Again, the AD would hold the watch that I had purchased until I was able to travel to collect it.

Since I had paid MA tax, I'm fairly certain that they would have shipped both watches to me if I had asked them to. I preferred to pick them up the next time I was in town. My choice.

It is interesting that your AD in NY demanded that you pick it up in a certain amount of days. That was not my experience. Perhaps it is contingent on AD policy. That was not the case in my case.

After much reading and observing on this forum, I seems that all ADs are different as are their policies. I'm just reporting my personal experience.
Old 29 June 2024, 01:17 PM   #6
kittansett
"TRF" Member

You have the retired dial JC before it became a Deep Sea category. Enjoy! It's a transition model.
kittansett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2024, 01:25 PM   #7
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by fozzyf18 View Post
Back in December, right around Christmas-time 2023, I started this thread:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=930431

Recap, I walked into Long's in Peabody,MA cold because it is the closest to my "home base" as I have and struck up a conversation with Devin, looked at several Rolexes, tried on a few, asked to be considered for a few. I enjoyed the interaction knowing the current market, and some on the forum agreed that it was a positive interaction and some disagreed. No worries there, differing opinions is what makes this forum great and why I stick around.

Devin was matter-of-fact and suggested that I talk to a local AD, but after I told him that I didn't have one within 3 hour drive of my location at the time, he took my list down.

A month later Devin delivered and my wife's wish for a 278274 was fulfilled. Unfortunately, I knew it was going to sit in a safe for a few months until I returned to Boston to collect it.

Fast forward to today when I was able to make it up to Boston and collect my goods. We received the champagne fitting treatment and happily walked out with two new beautiful watches. As an aside, the gentleman that was obviously (to me) the plained-clothed security guy toting a Roscoe followed us out Long's and made sure that we made it safely to our car in the parking lot and stood overwatch until we drove away. A very very nice touch offered by this location even if you don't know it is happening.

Long's had a much larger "FOR DISPLAY ONLY" selection than they had six months ago, by a factor of 5 by my estimation. It was a good day, and I don't choose to use "incoming" to announce a new watch because that means something completely different to me.

Two beautiful watches, right there. Big congrats! Also, thank you for your service.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2024, 01:51 PM   #8
fozzyf18
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittansett View Post
You have the retired dial JC before it became a Deep Sea category. Enjoy! It's a transition model.
Many thanks, and I will enjoy it. We went straight to lunch and I noticed that my new DSSD had a small scratch on the bracelt while I was sipping on an Old Fashioned and slurping some delicious oysters from Maine at Pellana's right down the street.

Certainly my doing somehow in a very short period of time since it was perfect when I left the AD. And it didn't bother me one bit because I wear my watches and that was the first of many defects to come.
Old 29 June 2024, 01:53 PM   #9
fozzyf18
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Two beautiful watches, right there. Big congrats! Also, thank you for your service.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you Kat! It has always been my pleasure to serve our nation.
Old 29 June 2024, 02:58 PM   #10
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Congrats!! Two stellar pieces and a cool story
Tudor: Black Bay GMT Opaline
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2024, 09:53 PM   #11
JSol1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Congratulations! Longs happens to me my AD and they are a fabulous family owned company.
The other night we were having dinner at a local restaurant and the owner and his wife happened to be having dinner there as well. We didn’t see them and when we asked for the check the waiter said ‘it’s been taken care of by your friends at Long’s’.

We sought them out and thanked them of course. 10 minutes later we were out front waiting for an Uber and they were getting their car from the valet and they wanted to give us a ride home. We declined, but just such nice and genuine people.
I’m obviously in the camp that ‘relationships’ matter.
Enjoy your lovely pieces and congratulations!
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2024, 10:13 PM   #12
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Congrats to you both!
I prefer the JC DSSD you got over the newly announced dial (minus Seadweller). Enjoy them!
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2024, 10:21 PM   #13
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2024, 10:23 PM   #14
BlondesNwatches
"TRF" Member

Could they have just overnighted you the watches and you both go in for some fun and sizing? Why not have the watches sent to you? Porch thieves?
BlondesNwatches is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2024, 12:59 AM   #15
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Congratulations. I love the JC DSSD
Old 30 June 2024, 08:12 AM   #16
aboutime
"TRF" Member

Congratulations on both pieces, beautiful combination.
Also fantastic the AD was able to hold for you.
Out of curiosity when did the warranty card start? In date of acquisition or when you collected? If I ask my AD to hold, they will oblige however the clock starts on the warranty after a few days from purchase. I’m not bothered by it just curious to learn more about the very diverse AD practices out there.
aboutime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2024, 08:37 AM   #17
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Congratulations. Nice result for both of you.

Quote:
My AD will sit on a watch if the owner can't collect it providing the owner has been contacted successfully and has confirmed. Some of us may be elsewhere for weeks or months in year. I put a deposit on a watch that came in when I was abroad and I collected it three weeks later. When I bought my TT Sky Dweller in June 2020 the SA had a blue SS one in the safe for an owner who would be collecting it in August. I expect it varies by AD.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2024, 09:51 AM   #18
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Congratulations. Nice result for both of you.

My AD will sit on a watch if the owner can't collect it providing the owner has been contacted successfully and has confirmed. Some of us may be elsewhere for weeks or months in year. I put a deposit on a watch that came in when I was abroad and I collected it three weeks later. When I bought my TT Sky Dweller in June 2020 the SA had a blue SS one in the safe for an owner who would be collecting it in August. I expect it varies by AD.

What part of the world is your AD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30 June 2024, 10:15 AM   #19
Oldfellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSol1 View Post
Congratulations! Longs happens to me my AD and they are a fabulous family owned company.
The other night we were having dinner at a local restaurant and the owner and his wife happened to be having dinner there as well. We didn’t see them and when we asked for the check the waiter said ‘it’s been taken care of by your friends at Long’s’.

We sought them out and thanked them of course. 10 minutes later we were out front waiting for an Uber and they were getting their car from the valet and they wanted to give us a ride home. We declined, but just such nice and genuine people.
Beautiful story and experience. I firmly believe that ‘Relationships’ are of significant importance.
Oldfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2024, 10:18 AM   #20
Oldfellow

Congratulations OP, two great watches and a beaut story.
Oldfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2024, 02:03 PM   #21
Zach69SS
"TRF" Member

Congrats, OP on your new watches wear them in good health and it was nice to hear a nice ADs visit with and excellent results. This just goes to show that you never know?
Sounds like you have a great SA and AD.

As far as the deal Rolex ADs are pretty much allowed to handle their business as they see fit, as long as they don’t violate Rolex dealer policy.

Cheers!
Zach69SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2024, 02:12 PM   #22
Mr. Superlative
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Not too many wrists can pull off the Cameron. Looks fantastic. And congratulations to your wife also. Wear them both in good health.
Mr. Superlative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2024, 02:13 PM   #23
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Great looking watches with great blues. Your wife’s watch has a very unique dial. Quite uncommon as it is limited to the smaller sizes. Enjoy!
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2024, 02:29 PM   #24
fozzyf18
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondesNwatches View Post
Could they have just overnighted you the watches and you both go in for some fun and sizing? Why not have the watches sent to you? Porch thieves?
Good question. Porch pirates are always a significant concern, but that wasn’t my primary reason for working these transactions the way I did.

In this case, I didn’t ask for shipping because I didn’t want to have to get into the discussion about taxes, so I just paid MA taxes and moved on. More importantly, it was a reason to come back to Boston and visit family which is something I fondly look forward to.
Old 30 June 2024, 02:30 PM   #25
fozzyf18
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSol1 View Post

Awesome story, thank you for sharing. I have always received a good vibe ther, glad to know that they are good people.
Old 30 June 2024, 02:36 PM   #26
fozzyf18
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
Congratulations on both pieces, beautiful combination.
Also fantastic the AD was able to hold for you.
Out of curiosity when did the warranty card start? In date of acquisition or when you collected? If I ask my AD to hold, they will oblige however the clock starts on the warranty after a few days from purchase. I’m not bothered by it just curious to learn more about the very diverse AD practices out there.
Warranty clock started the day I paid for the watch per the cards. For my wife’s DJ, it was in Jan. For my DSSD, it was April. That actually surprised me honestly, I figured it would have been the day of delivery, but that did not deter me and I certainly didn’t complain. Just a few months difference.
Old 30 June 2024, 03:17 PM   #27
thegrandseirolexguy
"TRF" Member

Congratulations. The watches look great on both of you.

The JC DSSD in particular, looks perfectly sized for your wrist.

Wish I could pull it off too. Great looking and comfortable door knocker that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thegrandseirolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2024, 07:47 PM   #28
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
What part of the world is your AD?
South West UK.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote