The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 February 2022, 07:53 PM   #1
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...
Patience not so much a virtue

General good watch buying practice would be that patience is the way to go to ensure that you get the piece that you truly want. I'm not one for impulse buys when it comes to watches but I have bought watches in the past having mulled over them for a week or so which I would consider "quick". Clearly, in the new world order of watches that approach is no longer valid.

In the past 6 months I have seen a few watches slip away from me because I was too late thinking them over. I sort of consider it fate, that it wasn't meant to be. But this week, 3 watches I was looking at were snapped up. 1 had been on sale at the place since July 2021! One I found on Friday, considered it today, thought I would go check it out tomorrow (Sunday)...that watch is already gone.

All I'm saying is patience is harder to practice in these crazy times.
Old 26 February 2022, 08:00 PM   #2
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Patience? I have ZERO buy what you want and buy it now is my motto lol
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2022, 08:18 PM   #3
joli160
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Once I have my mind set on a watch I buy it straight away.
No patience here
Old 26 February 2022, 08:22 PM   #4
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
Patience? I have ZERO buy what you want and buy it now is my motto lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Once I have my mind set on a watch I buy it straight away.
No patience here
Clearly, I'm used to thinking it over a bit. It was just comical though how this latest piece slipped away in a matter of hours
Old 26 February 2022, 08:42 PM   #5
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonaG View Post
Clearly, I'm used to thinking it over a bit. It was just comical though how this latest piece slipped away in a matter of hours
I do spend time researching the model etc, for example I bought a WG Pepsi recently, i knew I wanted a new watch for around a month before I bought it. Is a watch I’ve always wanted and when I made the decision I text a handful of dealers I know for what was available and bought it the next day.
Probably ten per cent over retail which is absolutely fine by me :)
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2022, 09:43 PM   #6
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Nothing wrong with thinking about a purchase.
The current market is crazy and not the norm
Old 26 February 2022, 10:24 PM   #7
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

Patience and decisiveness aren't opposites!
l_chissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2022, 10:36 PM   #8
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I know the watches I want before I ever go and look for them. Very seldom am I surprised by a watch that I did not know about that is just sitting in the case or pops up on the internet. What I see in many of my local fellow collectors is an inability to make a decision and ultimately it usually circles back around to the money. But the indecision with watch purchases is usually just the start of an overall inability to make decisions in a lot of aspects of their lives. Each of us is who we are and who we decide to make ourselves into. If you are only comfortable waiting then so be it but you will, on some levels, be limited on purchasing opportunities as time passes on an item. Once again, nothing to celebrate nor nothing to worry about unless you want a different outcome on your purchases. Just my thoughts.

Last edited by 1William; 26 February 2022 at 10:38 PM.. Reason: .
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2022, 11:36 PM   #9
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
I see the frenzy all the time in a Rolex Facebook group. Watch is posted way over price (in my opinion), look at the comments and someone wrote SOLD very soon after, sometimes only a few minutes later, but usually within a couple hours.

And yes, I realize that means they're not way over priced but I still think current market values are.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2022, 11:52 PM   #10
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Reality is what most are buying are the dopamine and not the watch, that’s why we have so many posts about should I trade or flip. A bit of patients allows one to process things and sort things out. The reality is, as soon as the “piece” is acquired it’s onto the next one. I have slowed down my buying in the last 10 years and find plenty of ways to enjoy it without the impulse to possess it right now.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2022, 11:59 PM   #11
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
I’m pretty good at setting boundaries where watch purchases are concerned. I research the reference and then I decide if I’m prepared to pay gray market price or wait for the AD.

The only one I’m waiting on is a 321. At the moment, I’m not prepared to pay the gray price, and I would ideally like the watch to be from the boutique, registered in my name
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 12:39 AM   #12
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
Surprised there were any models for you to even mull over. My experience has been that a watch comes in and the AD calls whoever already has expressed interest in it… but I agree there is no time to think things over at the moment…you really have to be ready to pull the trigger immediately
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 12:44 AM   #13
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
That’s not patience, that’s indecision. You either want it or you don’t.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 01:23 AM   #14
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
That’s not patience, that’s indecision. You either want it or you don’t.
A fine line on this. But you are not wrong in a lot of situations.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 01:25 AM   #15
1665fan
"TRF" Member

If you enjoy waiting just go the AD route……you will be waiting a loooooooooong time
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 02:10 AM   #16
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Reality is what most are buying are the dopamine and not the watch, that’s why we have so many posts about should I trade or flip. A bit of patients allows one to process things and sort things out. The reality is, as soon as the “piece” is acquired it’s onto the next one. I have slowed down my buying in the last 10 years and find plenty of ways to enjoy it without the impulse to possess it right now.
This is a critically profound observation. I would go so far as to say that it's dopamine that is driving the entire shortage.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 02:18 AM   #17
28mm
"TRF" Member

Which models were you considering and lost out on? If they were available would you pull the trigger?
Old 27 February 2022, 02:20 AM   #18
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
This is a critically profound observation. I would go so far as to say that it's dopamine that is driving the entire shortage.

And I’m not judging that per se. Someone wants to feel good temporarily and does not care about the cost, hey go ahead. But the constant flipping, buying, etc. means that one simply has a thing or an object, noting that really acquires any meaning. I have had my sub on my wrist more days than not since I got it in 1998, worn on my wedding day, graduations, job interviews, funerals, in many different countries living all kinds of life. That’s meaning that the folks looking for the dopamine hit will never see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 02:44 AM   #19
ryangambrill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor GMT
This is a recurring theme that I have seen for years in regards to purchase of watches, cars, real estate, etc etc etc.

1. Understand the landscape. Understand YOUR competition. If you find the appropriate target, how much time will you have to make a decision?

2. You must have a pre-planned process for evaluation. Check Points. Criteria. Each strategic question will drive you to the next.

3. Close the deal. Maybe put down a conditional deposit. Do what you need to do to close the deal while still making it a good deal for all parties involved.

Remove the emotion. Stay light on your feet.

There is a difference between "missing", "losing", or "passing" on an opportunity.
- Sub SS & Sub TT w/ Serti
ryangambrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2022, 11:27 PM   #20
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28mm View Post
Which models were you considering and lost out on? If they were available would you pull the trigger?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangambrill View Post
This is a recurring theme that I have seen for years in regards to purchase of watches, cars, real estate, etc etc etc.

1. Understand the landscape. Understand YOUR competition. If you find the appropriate target, how much time will you have to make a decision?

2. You must have a pre-planned process for evaluation. Check Points. Criteria. Each strategic question will drive you to the next.

3. Close the deal. Maybe put down a conditional deposit. Do what you need to do to close the deal while still making it a good deal for all parties involved.

Remove the emotion. Stay light on your feet.

There is a difference between "missing", "losing", or "passing" on an opportunity.

Partly, I have been looking outside of Rolex for a dressier piece. This had led me to consider a number of options ranging from a Day Date 36 to a Patek Calatrava to a Lange. This has made #2 above quite difficult, I want a piece in gold, with a date complication. Anyway, I put down a deposit for a Lange Saxonia Moonphase in WG and black dial. It's stunning in person. The moon phase complication makes it that more interesting and it has the large date window. I have seen a number of DD36s, Patek and Langes disappear from dealers here in Japan over the last few months and when the borders fully open it will be even harder to get the piece I want.
Old 5 March 2022, 11:58 PM   #21
gerry100
"TRF" Member

with enough time you can get whatever you want.

with enough money you can whatever you want.

On balance, at 71 I had a little more money than time so I paid "grey" at an AD for my 16570.
gerry100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2022, 03:33 AM   #22
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Patience is needed to take the time to know what you want and how much you're willing to pay for it, before the opportunity arises.

Decisiveness is needed to act in a timely fashion (ie. immediately!) when the opportunity arises.
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2022, 04:05 AM   #23
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

Quote:
General good watch buying practice would be that patience is the way to go to ensure that you get the piece that you truly want. I'm not one for impulse buys when it comes to watches but I have bought watches in the past having mulled over them for a week or so which I would consider "quick". Clearly, in the new world order of watches that approach is no longer valid.

In the past 6 months I have seen a few watches slip away from me because I was too late thinking them over. I sort of consider it fate, that it wasn't meant to be. But this week, 3 watches I was looking at were snapped up. 1 had been on sale at the place since July 2021! One I found on Friday, considered it today, thought I would go check it out tomorrow (Sunday)...that watch is already gone.

All I'm saying is patience is harder to practice in these crazy times.
Don't get sucked into making an impulse buy....Take the time you need to decide.....I agree, if it does not work out it was not meant to be.....
mk2jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2022, 04:24 AM   #24
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
You said it perfectly buddy. Addiction and passion are 2 different things
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2022, 04:30 AM   #25
Ensign
"TRF" Member

Same - I had been shopping for a PM model for years, but the recent rise in their prices has stopped me. They had been available at a discount, but I’d feel shafted buying it with a premium.
Ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2022, 09:57 AM   #26
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign View Post
Same - I had been shopping for a PM model for years, but the recent rise in their prices has stopped me. They had been available at a discount, but I’d feel shafted buying it with a premium.
bob sims is offline   Reply With Quote