The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 March 2022, 11:24 AM   #1
jrsmiles
"TRF" Member

Availability of YG DD40 at AD?

I’m recently in the market for a yellow gold Day Date 40 but my AD selection is really limited where I live. Are these models also caught up in the unobtainable list of pieces retail or are dealers seeing them come in steadily?
jrsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2022, 11:30 AM   #2
vh2k
"TRF" Member

People are continually confusing empty cases with unavailability.

YG DD40s are easily available if you are a vetted and qualified customer. Will you have to wait until your configuration comes in? Or course. They don't keep 50 DD40s in the back. But, yes, dealers regularly receive and deliver plenty of DD40s to customers every month.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2022, 11:52 AM   #3
THC
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126333
An AD is now the largest bargain on earth, for any model..
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2022, 03:34 PM   #4
kings4sap
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsmiles View Post
I’m recently in the market for a yellow gold Day Date 40 but my AD selection is really limited where I live. Are these models also caught up in the unobtainable list of pieces retail or are dealers seeing them come in steadily?
I’m here in Cali. I have relationships at two different ADs. My wife buys lots of jewelry. I have an open order for a YG DD. About two weeks now. I think they are all waiting for a March shipment. We will see.....

I’ll post here if/when it hits. Both ADs gave me the warm fuzzies like they want to do business. We will see......
kings4sap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2022, 03:57 PM   #5
rolexpure
Banned

Look I've been shopping for a DD40 for well over 12+ months now.

EACH and EVERY model DD40 is now selling way way above MSRP. There is nothing at any AD for this model.

If you don't believe it just call any AD. New York, LA, Dallas - None

Just put your name down and wait. Wait list is now >12+ months now for DD40s in ANY configuration for a YG one.

RG its even worse. Much much worse.

Anyone telling you they can get one immediately or its easy is just simply bullcrapping you. Offer them to get it for you then and give them $5k on top. They will say no because they cant get it. LOL
rolexpure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2022, 04:20 PM   #6
Xtralarg
"TRF" Member

The YG DD 40 is way behind the RG price wise on the grey market. I could be wrong but I may well move higher, they are now being advertised 20-40% over list. RG are minimum 70% over.

I would be tempted to go grey now before they get further out of reach. If the AD comes good then let the grey one go, you could well make a profit. If you don't get the call then at least you have one at not too much above MRSP.
Xtralarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2022, 05:01 PM   #7
rolexpure
Banned

YG DD40s are selling in the $50s now. They have been steadily rising every month for the past 12 months now. I've seen their gray prices rise ever since I've been on the waitlist.

For RG dont even bother. ANY RG DD40 is minimum $60k.

RG Chocolate romans I've seen prices from $65k-$70k+ now. Olive your at like $85k-$90k.

These things are selling for more than gold subs and GMTs now.
Old 6 March 2022, 05:14 PM   #8
Xtralarg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpure View Post
YG DD40s are selling in the $50s now. They have been steadily rising every month for the past 12 months now. I've seen their gray prices rise ever since I've been on the waitlist.

For RG dont even bother. ANY RG DD40 is minimum $60k.

RG Chocolate romans I've seen prices from $65k-$70k+ now. Olive your at like $85k-$90k.

These things are selling for more than gold subs and GMTs now.
What's the list on a YG DD 40 in the US?
Old 6 March 2022, 06:24 PM   #9
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
Zero here in HK, won't even put you on their list
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2022, 07:08 PM   #10
rolexpure
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtralarg View Post
What's the list on a YG DD 40 in the US?
$37,450 is the MSRP in the US so selling for close to 40% above MSRP for YG.

$40,350 for RG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthagainsttt View Post
Zero here in HK, won't even put you on their list
Yep this is the state everywhere in every country for DD40s now. I got a lot of relatives in HK and have asked them to source for me as well. No luck at all.

If you cant get a DD40 in HK where there are 100s of ADs within a few suburbs of each other you got very little chance anywhere else.
Old 6 March 2022, 10:53 PM   #11
DJH1977
"TRF" Member

I am not a VIP and recently got a DD40 after asking for one. I have purchased several watches over the last few years, but nothing crazy. In the course of 3 months I was offered 4 or 5. Stay local, and if you know the AD it is very possible.
DJH1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2022, 10:55 PM   #12
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
The Mayors in Sarasota, FL had one with silver roman dial in the case and available a little over a week ago. Not surprised if it's already gone though.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2022, 10:56 PM   #13
rolexpure
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJH1977 View Post
I am not a VIP and recently got a DD40 after asking for one. I have purchased several watches over the last few years, but nothing crazy. In the course of 3 months I was offered 4 or 5. Stay local, and if you know the AD it is very possible.
Pics or it didnt happen!!

Good for you - there are obvious exceptions but please don't make it out like its common these days because its absolutely not. DD40s are very hard to get now.

I also see guys getting SS Daytona's and YG Green Dial Daytona's as well. Is it normal these days? Hell no......is it possible? Yes if you are lucky.
Old 6 March 2022, 10:56 PM   #14
rolexpure
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
The Mayors in Sarasota, FL had one with silver roman dial in the case and available a little over a week ago. Not surprised if it's already gone though.
Why didnt you buy it? Its an instant almost $15k profit. It would have been gone within the hour.
Old 6 March 2022, 10:58 PM   #15
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Quote:
Why didnt you buy it? Its an instant almost $15k profit. It would have been gone within the hour.
Because I buy what I want to wear and don't want to ruin relationships with the ADs I have.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2022, 11:09 PM   #16
DJH1977
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Pics or it didnt happen!!

Good for you - there are obvious exceptions but please don't make it out like its common these days because its absolutely not. DD40s are very hard to get now.

I also see guys getting SS Daytona's and YG Green Dial Daytona's as well. Is it normal these days? Hell no......is it possible? Yes if you are lucky.
In the thread after this you ask the question why one didn't buy a watch they don't want because of a 15K profit. I suspect the ADs you have "called" / ? visited easily sniffed this out if you present in real life anything similar to how you write online. I didn't say it is common or not, but it is certainly possible to a known customer.
DJH1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2022, 11:10 PM   #17
holdingon
"TRF" Member

It's possible but unlikely. I was looking for a YG 40 3mos ago and had no luck. I live in NYC and all Ad lists are closed until farther notice. Later, I was on vacation and reached out to a few local ADs in other states...they can put you on a list but the wait was 12mos+. First piece i had to go grey...but i don't know if i would at the current 50k+ price.

BTW...i see all YG to trade up higher. YG is cheaper than WG/RG but if you look at Patek they have got rid of that arbitrage. I see Rolex doing the same in the next 1-2 years for all their YG pieces.
holdingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2022, 11:16 PM   #18
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

It's 12 mos. minimum depending on the market you are in. YG grey is looking like a bargain right now. I expect them to hit 60+ by the end of this year. If OP really wants one, today is the time. Scarcity will continue to get worse.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2022, 11:21 PM   #19
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsmiles View Post
I’m unaware of an AD “selection” anywhere!
Old 6 March 2022, 11:24 PM   #20
holdingon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
It's 12 mos. minimum depending on the market you are in. YG grey is looking like a bargain right now. I expect them to hit 60+ by the end of this year. If OP really wants one, today is the time. Scarcity will continue to get worse.
I totally agree..YG will go higher. There should only a small difference between YG/WG/RG in this market.
Old 7 March 2022, 01:10 AM   #21
MJ EXPLORER
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DEEPSEA
Is it much easier to get a Day Date in 36 vs 40? Or are they both really hard to come by?
MJ EXPLORER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2022, 02:36 AM   #22
holdingon
"TRF" Member

I think DD 36 is easier...no personal experience but 6mos ago they were sitting in AD's in NYC. You should be able to get a regular dial DD 36 within 6-12mos.
Old 7 March 2022, 03:05 AM   #23
Xtralarg
"TRF" Member

DD 36 are available, I know one in a window of an AD now in the UK
Old 7 March 2022, 05:51 AM   #24
holdingon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtralarg View Post
DD 36 are available, I know one in a window of an AD now in the UK
Makes sense....they are a lot of previous generations of DD 36 on the secondary market so i wouldnt think this model wouldn't be hyped (just yet)