The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 March 2019, 12:59 AM   #1
chaseraider85
"TRF" Member

Rolex Service Issue

I purchased a 16610 pre-owned a couple of months ago from someone local (non-trf) for a reasonable price. Before finalizing the transaction I had a trusted non-AD verify the authenticity and we finalized the deal. After speaking with Rolex RSC in New York and to the previous owner I knew that there had never been a service done by RSC on this watch. After wearing the watch for a week or so I noticed that the watch seemed to be gaining about 10-15 seconds a day so I decided to drop the watch off at a local AD who performs certified Rolex service for a full service. After a week I got a call from the AD stating that the watch technician thinks that the crystal and crown are not Rolex parts and would like to send to RSC Dallas for further confirmation. I was completely fine with this but apparently this is going to add another 5 weeks just to have another evaluation done by RSC since the Dallas RSC is in the process of moving buildings. After thinking about it I reached back out to the AD and asked for a quote to have the Crystal and Crown both replaced as well as the service. My questions are (1) How much do you think having the Crystal and Crown replaced is going to cost me? (2) Why wouldn't the dealer who inspected the rolex catch the non Rolex crystal and Crown when they verified the watch? (3) Would you move forward with having the AD perform the work or would you go to an independent for service and just keep the aftermarket crystal?
chaseraider85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 01:36 AM   #2
ecmgbob
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 118239
For my money I would send it to a different RSC if the move in Dallas will in fact delay delivery and have all the work done right. you made the big investment in a Rolex, now make a smaller investment for piece of mind. Just my $0.02. Good luck whatever direction you choose.
ecmgbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 01:48 AM   #3
Et414
"TRF" Member

Crystal is about a $100 part. Crown replacement is part of the the overhaul.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Et414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 01:48 AM   #4
csfischer20
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD36
It will cost a couple hundred bucks. I just dealt with this in January. I had to get a crystal, bezel, insert, service, and glide lock fixed. IT was $1700. The movement service alone is $700. I bet you end up right around a grand. I also got my watch back in 3.5 weeks. I guess that is super fast for rolex.
csfischer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 09:33 PM   #5
RichardF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseraider85 View Post
I purchased a 16610 pre-owned a couple of months ago from someone local (non-trf) for a reasonable price. Before finalizing the transaction I had a trusted non-AD verify the authenticity and we finalized the deal. After speaking with Rolex RSC in New York and to the previous owner I knew that there had never been a service done by RSC on this watch. After wearing the watch for a week or so I noticed that the watch seemed to be gaining about 10-15 seconds a day so I decided to drop the watch off at a local AD who performs certified Rolex service for a full service. After a week I got a call from the AD stating that the watch technician thinks that the crystal and crown are not Rolex parts and would like to send to RSC Dallas for further confirmation. I was completely fine with this but apparently this is going to add another 5 weeks just to have another evaluation done by RSC since the Dallas RSC is in the process of moving buildings. After thinking about it I reached back out to the AD and asked for a quote to have the Crystal and Crown both replaced as well as the service. My questions are (1) How much do you think having the Crystal and Crown replaced is going to cost me? (2) Why wouldn't the dealer who inspected the rolex catch the non Rolex crystal and Crown when they verified the watch? (3) Would you move forward with having the AD perform the work or would you go to an independent for service and just keep the aftermarket crystal?

When you stated the AD was going to do a “certified Rolex service” you have to understand an AD which has a Rolex watch tech on premises doesn’t always do the same exact service the RSC does. Firstly the quote the RSC gives you also includes replacement of internal parts of the movement which have wear or have to be replaced to bring the watch back to factory operational spec. This could even include a large part such as the whole upper plate with the reversers and counter weight. In some cases there is a charge for a new crown depending on whether it is precious metal. AD techs are known for not replacing the tube, crown, mainspring and other parts in their standard service without charging extra. When the RSC replaces a part it comes from their stock. When an AD tech needs a part they have to order it from Rolex in NY and pay for it. You should talk this over with your AD first. Plus if you have the case polished very few AD techs if any have the tool which can restore the chamfer properly on the lugs… Something to consider.
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 10:05 PM   #6
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardF View Post
When you stated the AD was going to do a “certified Rolex service” you have to understand an AD which has a Rolex watch tech on premises doesn’t always do the same exact service the RSC does. Firstly the quote the RSC gives you also includes replacement of internal parts of the movement which have wear or have to be replaced to bring the watch back to factory operational spec. This could even include a large part such as the whole upper plate with the reversers and counter weight. In some cases there is a charge for a new crown depending on whether it is precious metal. AD techs are known for not replacing the tube, crown, mainspring and other parts in their standard service without charging extra. When the RSC replaces a part it comes from their stock. When an AD tech needs a part they have to order it from Rolex in NY and pay for it. You should talk this over with your AD first. Plus if you have the case polished very few AD techs if any have the tool which can restore the chamfer properly on the lugs… Something to consider.
Parts like bridges and the rotor are not included in the service price from RSC.

Parts like train wheels, mainspring/barrel, reversers - the ‘normal’ service parts are included in the cost whether you go to RSC or an authorised external workshop.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 10:08 PM   #7
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’d send it to a RSC. Do you have any reason to question the buyer and the authenticity?
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 10:10 PM   #8
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseraider85 View Post

here you go... convert to dollars as its close

this is from my receipt

The following work is deemed necessary:
A full service of the movement - £455.00 I understand you are happy to proceed at this price.

Optional suggested items New glass (existing is marked) £140.00
Optional new crown (existing is marked/scratched) £55.00
These items are optional and for aesthetic reasons only.

If they are non Rolex parts the quote would change and it would be mandatory and not optional, however the price is the same
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 10:21 PM   #9
77T
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Here is my advice from having a dozen overhauls done over the past 10 years.

Get another opinion from an independent Rolex certified AWCI CW21 watchmaker who has a parts account.

If the Dallas RSC I’d backed up due to the move, and you don’t want to wait longer than normal, then use this time to get that second opinion now. Pick it up from the AD now and shop around for a good watchmaker.

After all this isn’t an urgent matter due to loosing more seconds that COSC.

IF it turns out that the RSC is your best path, you can afford to wait until they work down any backlogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 11:38 PM   #10
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I'd suggest that the person that looked at the watch for authentication was more concerned with the case and movement than the crystal and crown, which is why maybe they didn't notice or mention the discrepancy.

As for servicing, if you want to sell it sooner rather than later, then the RSC paperwork is a worth a premium. Otherwise, especially if you can save money, I'd have it done elsewhere (if you're in a hurry). If the price is the same, then I'd stick with RSC.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote