The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 14 May 2023, 08:50 AM   #1
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Breguet Marine Chrono - Stupid Value for the $

After owning the original time only version of this watch, I decided to give the chronograph a shot.

Chronographs make any watch better. You get a more interesting movement, more hands on the dial, and in this case, even more elaborate guilloche patterns. Given I love the time-only variation, I figured, why not dip into the chrono 😊

The watch is great value relative to others that sell for the same amount of money used, and even up to 2x+ used. For example, a Daytona is ~mid 20s right now. These are far less, and clearly feature much more handwork.

Examples of what I mean:

The guilloche – it is all done by hand, whereas brands like Patek and FP Journe stamp their dials.

Guilloched rotor, a nice touch but the anglage or lack thereof is kind of disappointing. It is not as well finished as my Tradition or the Reveil Du Tsar. Not a huge deal given price...but was just a little surprised I guess.

The best part about this series are the heat blued numerals. They look black until they are exposed to direct light, and then pop blue nicely! Tried to capture that here.

Other nice details include the stepped date indicator, wave motif chrono pushers, and wave motif strap retainers.

Unfortunately, this one has a problem with the chrono not resetting properly, so I will be returning it to the dealer soon which is a bummer. But hoping I can find another one soon...

Enjoy the pics - just cell phone shots + lightroom.

WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2023, 09:47 AM   #2
RTG
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: YM42 Ti
Looks fabulous. I like big date chronographs. How bright are the lumed hour and minute hands? Good enough to tell time at night assuming it was charged during the day?
Old 14 May 2023, 10:01 AM   #3
PhilLynott
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet marine
Fantastic watch bummer on needing to return.

Im obsessed with the time/big date version have 4 variations of it that I wear constantly. I’ve never seen the chrono in flesh and worried it was too large - how much larger does it wear compared to the time/big date version?
Breguet 5547BB Marine Alarm, 7067 Tradition, 5817 Marine Black, Blue, Silver Patek Philippe 5134P, 5205G-013 Omega NTTD Seamaster Vacheron Constantin FiftySix Complete Calendar Glashutte Original PanomaticLunar Chopard Alpine Eagle
PhilLynott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2023, 11:07 AM   #4
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Stunning watch - wow.
Commandopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2023, 01:55 PM   #5
Guppydriver

Watch: 126710BLNR 226570
That craftsmanship is beautiful, as are the photos. Beautiful watch!
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2023, 02:52 PM   #6
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
Looks fabulous. I like big date chronographs. How bright are the lumed hour and minute hands? Good enough to tell time at night assuming it was charged during the day?
They are not super bright, my GS is definitely brighter, same with Rolex. This is an older used watch though (despite looking new).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilLynott View Post
Fantastic watch bummer on needing to return.

Im obsessed with the time/big date version have 4 variations of it that I wear constantly. I’ve never seen the chrono in flesh and worried it was too large - how much larger does it wear compared to the time/big date version?
This feels like 42mm yeah. I'd say the smaller Breguets like my Tradition wore larger than paper spec because of the lugs. For this model, they just extend the case size and reduce lugs, so it wears more true to size.

It is very heavy though, kind of surprised. Weighs more than my platinum Roth for example
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2023, 05:47 PM   #7
unknown
"TRF" Member

Every Breguet is insane value for the money

Good for us, 90% of the self proclaimed enthusiasts are too stupid to understand and they keep on buying Patek, AP and Rolex.
Nothing wrong with these 3 I have them too but the market offers much more and this is something still don't understand

A good example was the Phillips auction in Geneva yesterday
That FUGLY 40th anniversary white gold nautilus chrono made in 1300 pieces sold for more or less 400K euro
A platinum 5070 that is 10 times more watch, 10 times more important, 10 times more rare and 100 times better finished ... sold for about 200K

Again, pure stupidity from people that prefer hype above brains
Old 14 May 2023, 06:50 PM   #8
djnick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
every breguet is insane value for the money

good for us, 90% of the self proclaimed enthusiasts are too stupid to understand and they keep on buying patek, ap and rolex.
Nothing wrong with these 3 i have them too but the market offers much more and this is something still don't understand

a good example was the phillips auction in geneva yesterday
that fugly 40th anniversary white gold nautilus chrono made in 1300 pieces sold for more or less 400k euro
a platinum 5070 that is 10 times more watch, 10 times more important, 10 times more rare and 100 times better finished ... Sold for about 200k

again, pure stupidity from people that prefer hype above brains
+1
djnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2023, 10:26 PM   #9
GB-man

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
Every Breguet is insane value for the money

Good for us, 90% of the self proclaimed enthusiasts are too stupid to understand and they keep on buying Patek, AP and Rolex.
Nothing wrong with these 3 I have them too but the market offers much more and this is something still don't understand

A good example was the Phillips auction in Geneva yesterday
That FUGLY 40th anniversary white gold nautilus chrono made in 1300 pieces sold for more or less 400K euro
A platinum 5070 that is 10 times more watch, 10 times more important, 10 times more rare and 100 times better finished ... sold for about 200K

Again, pure stupidity from people that prefer hype above brains

How about paying 17 million for a below average Daytona owned by an actor most people don’t even know outside his salad dressing line?

What racks my brain is that 5970s sit around for 200k meanwhile people will happily fork over 200+ for PM nautilus lol
Old 14 May 2023, 10:32 PM   #10
pk552502
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570 black
I love it. I'm just recently getting into Breguet, but I definitely see another purchase on the horizon.
pk552502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 10:24 PM   #11
wigdog63
"TRF" Member

Watch: me prevaricate.
Gorgeous watch

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
wigdog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2023, 09:11 AM   #12
john333

Love this watch…incredible value. Breguet is so underrated.
john333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2023, 09:39 AM   #13
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

Mine says hello. Tradition may come next

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 09:45 PM   #14
Michael1968
Banned

Watch: UN,RolexTudor&more
Amazing watch. I wish I could find one in unworn condition with box and papers.
Congratulations
Michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 11:00 PM   #15
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
They are beautiful watches but I just find they do not fit mid sized wrists well due to the lugs. I have 6.8 in wrists and found it very out of balance visually and somewhat uncomfortable when I had a Marine.

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is online now   Reply With Quote