The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 13 October 2023, 03:06 AM   #1
CaptainCanary
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Collecting Bug - help please!

Hi. Hoping to spark some thought and get some guidance. I have 2 Rolexes. No plans to change or sell, so here’s the question- I want to extend my watch collection. I don’t have the money to allow to extend the Rolex collection so here’s the brief:

- I want to add 2-3 watches, under £1k each, to provide some variety.
- Rolexes are a Datejust 2 and a deepsea.
- I’d like them to include a field watch.
- they must be automatic
- ideally, they’ll be the ‘if you know, you know’ types/brands

Currently I have 2 in mind. A Hamilton Khaki Field King, and a Tissot PRX. What do you think? Any other brands or models? Grateful for any help and hopefully spark some discussion

Thanks
CaptainCanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2023, 09:42 AM   #2
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Ideas I'll share:

Have you seen the new Tissot Sideral? Totally cool sports watch made from forged carbon in some splashy colors. My pick would be red. There are yellow and blue, too.

My field watch is a Hamilton, but I went with the Khaki Mechanical with the hand-wound caliber in the 38mm case. The fit and comfort are unmatched and I love it, especially on this Shell Cordovan strap:

The following suggestions will be pre-owned and require some keen hunting skill, but that's more than half the fun:

1) 1960s Omega Constellation. I don't have photos of the one I used to wear, but you can find images. I would look for one from the late '60s with a pie pan dial and preferably Caliber 561.

2) Something from Nomos, preferably a Ludwig or a Tangente in the classic 35mm size with Caliber Alpha (you'll enjoy winding it )

3) Here's another Hamilton I used to wear, the Intra-Matic Chronograph. A pre-owned example should come in right at your stated budget. Ford vs Ferrari kind of cool :

AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2023, 11:22 AM   #3
Bmats
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Personally, I’d get one. And I might use the funds for 2 to get that one. My general view is that my less expensive watches are novelties, and I go back to the nicer ones and the others sit in the box. So I guess I’d save and not expand and wait to get something on the same level as your Rolex watches—and get a g shock if you have an itch.

That said, I do like the Tudor Ranger (which I know people don’t like and is a bit more than than the combined 2 watch budget) on a nato or the strap.

I’d also consider Christopher Ward Twelve, but that may not fit your “well known” as much.
Bmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2023, 09:02 PM   #4
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Seiko 5 has a lovely field watch dial; there's always the Alpinist. Great indestructible GADA beaters.

If you can snag one when they launch, the modern Smiths are pretty lovely.

mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2023, 09:29 PM   #5
1William
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Some great options from Hamilton, Tissot and Seiko.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2023, 04:49 AM   #6
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Some great options from Hamilton, Tissot and Seiko.
This ......... plus Baltic and as you are in the UK have a look at Certina. Based on your Rolex, I'd possible look at a GMT and a Chronograph to widen your collection. For the latter the Hamilton Intra-Matic as shown above in the thread, is a great option..
stevedssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2023, 10:04 PM   #7
buddenfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanary View Post
Hi. Hoping to spark some thought and get some guidance. I have 2 Rolexes. No plans to change or sell, so here’s the question- I want to extend my watch collection. I don’t have the money to allow to extend the Rolex collection so here’s the brief:

- I want to add 2-3 watches, under £1k each, to provide some variety.
- Rolexes are a Datejust 2 and a deepsea.
- I’d like them to include a field watch.
- they must be automatic
- ideally, they’ll be the ‘if you know, you know’ types/brands

Currently I have 2 in mind. A Hamilton Khaki Field King, and a Tissot PRX. What do you think? Any other brands or models? Grateful for any help and hopefully spark some discussion

Thanks
Honestly at that price range I prefer microbrands.
Id get a Brew Metric and a Studio Underdog

Or under 2k you can get an Atowak or Raketa (famous russian brand)

Also while company is no longer around you can find it on ebay a Dietrich OT for your price range
buddenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2023, 10:12 PM   #8
buddenfan
Banned

Raketa, Brew Metric, Dietrich OT 1 and Studio Underdog photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_6724.jpeg (87.8 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_6725.jpeg (124.4 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_6727.jpeg (85.7 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_6728.jpeg (67.6 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_6734.jpeg (73.0 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_6732.jpeg (92.4 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_6733.jpeg (63.6 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_6737.jpeg (98.1 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_6735.jpeg (76.0 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_6736.jpeg (88.1 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_6740.jpeg (95.9 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_6739.jpeg (84.4 KB, 217 views)
buddenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2023, 12:58 AM   #9
kunlun
"TRF" Member

I know someone with the hamilton field and the Tissot prx and they love them. So, seems like great choices.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2023, 07:14 AM   #10
pk552502
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570 black
I would get a used omega automatic chronometer. Many types to choose from. Much better quality than a new watch for 1k or less. Omegas are nice also because the service cost is cheap because parts are readily available.
pk552502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2023, 11:53 AM   #11
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Lots of great recommendations here. Your inclinations toward the Tissot PRX and the Hamilton Khaki Field might be spot on and provide some fun and variety for not a lot of money. Both punch way above their price-points and are fun pieces. While I personally don't like integrated bracelet watches, if I did, I'd get a PRX. I have the Hamilton Mechanical pictured, but the new Field Expedition with the compass bezel might be more up your alley and bring something new to the collection. I will say that I don't wear my Khaki much because my Tudor Ranger 39mm on bracelet is my field watch of choice these days. I wear it a lot more than my Explorer 39mm and the quality isn't too far off, so that could be a legitimate contender if you up the budget. I also like the Tissot Sideral, the Hamilton Chronograph, and the Nomos Ludwig pictured. (If you're looking for a dress watch, Longines makes some high quality, great looking pieces that are a tremendous value.) Have fun and enjoy the journey.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 02:55 AM   #12
cardiel
"TRF" Member

Anordain and or Paulin......

https://anordain.com
cardiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 05:36 AM   #13
Audevache
"TRF" Member

Two models that I love and happily wear a lot that make me smile as much as my holy trinity stuff.

The Seagull 1963 chronograph with the acrylic crystal in 38mm. Bought this as a memory of my first deal signed in China.

My Mr Jones “A perfectly useless afternoon”. A reminder to take things a bit more relaxed every once in a while.

Audevache is offline   Reply With Quote