The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 December 2006, 12:20 AM   #1
richywiseman
"TRF" Member

16610 LV- Updated Model?

I have just purchased a new Green bezel submariner yesterday, after looking at it closly I noticed that the words swiss made only cover three "ticks" I have done a bit of digging on the web and according to most the LV should have the words swiss made cover five ticks.This was bought from a local authorised dealer and was brand new, I dont want to look stupid by going back to the shop and quizzing its authenticity? Has Rolex changed this?
It does have fatter hands and maxi dial?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
richywiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2006, 02:48 AM   #2
djemmtee
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub
i just looked at mine and it covers 5 ticks over the "swiss made" portion. is it a z- series? it could be brand new and has to wear in....i have had mine for 3 months. good luck.

Instagram: rolexfan69
djemmtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2006, 03:23 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richywiseman View Post
I have just purchased a new Green bezel submariner yesterday, after looking at it closly I noticed that the words swiss made only cover three "ticks" I have done a bit of digging on the web and according to most the LV should have the words swiss made cover five ticks.This was bought from a local authorised dealer and was brand new, I dont want to look stupid by going back to the shop and quizzing its authenticity? Has Rolex changed this?
It does have fatter hands and maxi dial?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
Well if you bought it from a authorised AD you have nothing to worry about.There are several dial variations for the LV 3-5 are both correct. But you could have it checked to put your mind at rest.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2006, 03:45 AM   #4
richywiseman
"TRF" Member

Authorised Dealer

Im new to Rolex, so I dont know how the AD system works etc. but there seems to be some mystery about Rolex and information on the products, when you go to Rolex website there no real info just a fancy website. You say "get it checked out" but It looks to me if I have a query I speak to the AD, and I would have to accept his answer to why this is different. Not that Im saying the dealer is "questionable" but my main concern is how do I contact Rolex to ask this type of question? The details are not on the web site.

Just worried that after spending quite alot of money all is well,or am I just being paranoid?
Old 5 December 2006, 06:06 AM   #5
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Yep, the website sucks rocks. And yes you have to trust the AD, so don;t walk in and buy. Think of choosing an AD like choosing your daughter's boyfriend. Let them work to gain your trust, you have absolutely nothing to lose!
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2006, 07:06 AM   #6
djemmtee
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub
you could call the rsc center closest to you to ask them about the spec. or better yet, wait for jj, mike, lox, or ed to answer your question....these guys are extremely knowlegable when it comes down to the technical aspects of these time pieces.

Instagram: rolexfan69
djemmtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2006, 07:06 AM   #7
Lol-x
Facilitator

Congrats on the Green Sub!
The same issue troubled me a little when I first got my Green Sub about the spacing of "swiss made".
It seems that Rolex do get their dials from more than one source and different sources have this variation in "swiss made". I can't confirm if this is true.
However, I have the 5 tick dial and took it to a Rolex service centre "Rolex Australia" and they gave it the thumbs up, so don't be worried whatsoever that you have the 5 ticks. My Green Sub is a Y serial and was made in 2003.
If you want it authenticated you would have to go to a Rolex Service Centre and under your warranty ask for them to maybe check the timing rate or maybe even just ask if they can see the hologram in the crystal, in doing so you can bet they will check out your watch to see whether it is legitmate.
Cheers and enjoy
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2006, 07:50 AM   #8
richywiseman
"TRF" Member

3 ticks

That is the problem, my new Z has only 3 ticks covered?
Old 5 December 2006, 07:55 AM   #9
RJR

My new TT Sub Z series is only 3 ticks
RJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2006, 08:34 AM   #10
richywiseman
"TRF" Member

The standard sub should have 3, the LV should has 5.

Or so Im led to believe, but looking at pictures on different web sites there seems to be at least 3 different variations to this?

some cover the 5 ticks some are inside and some have 3?
Old 5 December 2006, 10:30 AM   #11
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richywiseman View Post
The standard sub should have 3, the LV should has 5.

Or so Im led to believe, but looking at pictures on different web sites there seems to be at least 3 different variations to this?

some cover the 5 ticks some are inside and some have 3?
That's correct. Some LV's have swiss made between 3 ticks, some 5. Both are correct.
Of note, there's at least two different fonts on the bezel as well as a couple shades of green.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2006, 02:03 PM   #12
vh_bu98
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum YM
Are you suppose to count the ticks in front of the S and after the E? Mine looks like this roughly, so I'm note sure if that counts as 3 or 5.

|SWISS MADE|
|__|__|__|__|

In either case, it looks like the one on the Rolex website.

I didn't realize there were different shades of green. You would think that there would be more control and standarization of the product.
vh_bu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2006, 02:38 PM   #13
aeroguy

LV's come in both 3 and 5 tick. My LV is 3 tick.
aeroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2006, 02:57 PM   #14
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
If you walked in to purchase a LV at an AD, Thats at least a $5 Grand reality check that it is genuine.
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2006, 04:59 PM   #15
aaron850

Watch: GMT II Blk/Blk
trust your AD, if you have papers you are fine, you are just paranoind about dropping 5k on a sub instead of a nice black/black GMT!
aaron850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2006, 06:02 PM   #16
richywiseman
"TRF" Member

I have done some searching on the net and it seems to me that it is not only the LV that is different, I have seen the black sub on various sites and have seen at least 5 different variations of the "swiss made" logo.

I am assuming that rolex make small changes to the watches every now and then to beat the counterfieters? If the counterfieters have a production run set up they could have produced a huge quantity before realising the design had changed, and secondly Rolex can verify the combination of design and serial number/case refrence? Just a thought correct me if Ive got it wrong.

All my information was based on a web site I came acrros stating
http://www.horologist.com/rolex_fakes.htm
Old 5 December 2006, 07:27 PM   #17
mike
"TRF" Member

Over the years Rolex has used dials from various sources, Singer,Beyeler, and Stern for example. There's going to be differences in font and style.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote