The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 March 2024, 05:53 AM   #1
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Is the era of stealth wealth over?

Seems like no one wants the cookie monster or the first modern pepsi in white gold or yacht master in WG or anything in WG anymore. Do I get the wrong impression?

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 05:56 AM   #2
acorn
Banned

Sounds overstated, I’d take the first two over a SS Daytona any day.
acorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 05:59 AM   #3
Achtung6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Diver
Agree with acorn.... In fact, I went for the first one you mentioned. No regrets.
Achtung6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 05:59 AM   #4
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

there was never such an era, it only exists in the small bubble here where people are either WIS or think wearing a white gold day date or pepsi is understated. i don't think the majority of people buying the hype ever cared for white gold
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 05:59 AM   #5
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
No! Has always been there and will remain. Just the watch industry that has been crazy the past years and on its way towards normalisation
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 06:05 AM   #6
wm82
"TRF" Member

No one ever wanted anything in white gold. Its the softest of the alloys and looks like crap after a few years of wear. The market is never wrong, thats why 2nd hand values on white gold is always so low.
wm82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 06:16 AM   #7
Krash
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
there was never such an era, it only exists in the small bubble here where people are either WIS or think wearing a white gold day date or pepsi is understated. i don't think the majority of people buying the hype ever cared for white gold

Exactly. There was never such an era.

But I do like the new white gold Sub. Not because it’s stealth wealth, but because I just like the way it looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 06:19 AM   #8
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post

Have to agree. The whole notion of stealth wealth is absurd and like Peter puts it, “only exists in Rolex fantasy land.”
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 06:24 AM   #9
marmite2005
"TRF" Member

Watch: Slim wrist master
I'm still in the market for a smurf (all be it too big for my wrist) or a platinum DD 36mm, with understated dial. The WIS understated lives on.
marmite2005 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 06:37 AM   #10
bjdub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by wm82 View Post
No one ever wanted anything in white gold. Its the softest of the alloys and looks like crap after a few years of wear. The market is never wrong, thats why 2nd hand values on white gold is always so low.
No one, huh? I love white gold. My favorite PM actually.
bjdub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 06:38 AM   #11
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphr1 View Post
Seems like no one wants the cookie monster or the first modern pepsi in white gold or yacht master in WG or anything in WG anymore. Do I get the wrong impression?

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
PM is always easy to pick up. Yellow gold is the easiest. WG is slightly more in demand but still easy to get. Particularly after the price increases over the last few years are ridiculous. PM rolexs the only watches I would buy used. Some very reasonable used prices for mint condition (2/3 of retail).
colonelpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 06:57 AM   #12
derklink
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: amacallit
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelpurple View Post
PM is always easy to pick up. Yellow gold is the easiest. WG is slightly more in demand but still easy to get. Particularly after the price increases over the last few years are ridiculous. PM rolexs the only watches I would buy used. Some very reasonable used prices for mint condition (2/3 of retail).
I’ll take a used white gold Daytona on Oysterflex for 2/3 of retail - please send me a link where to buy
derklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 07:01 AM   #13
Binky1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 16610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by derklink View Post
I’ll take a used white gold Daytona on Oysterflex for 2/3 of retail - please send me a link where to buy
Yeah I”ll take one too…dream on.
Old 17 March 2024, 07:02 AM   #14
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I think white gold is the least popular precious metal from any brand historically. I think it was popular a few years back for a while, but most folks like colored precious metals with rose gold the leader. Does AP even do a Royal Oak in WG? They must, I just never see any.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 07:08 AM   #15
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I think white gold is the least popular precious metal from any brand historically. I think it was popular a few years back for a while, but most folks like colored precious metals with rose gold the leader. Does AP even do a Royal Oak in WG? They must, I just never see any.
they do, they have a 15510 in wg, a ROC in wg and then some tourbs/QPs in wg with exclusive dials and with/without baguette bezels, which are really cool actually. also their line of frosted gold models which are probably all hard to get anyway. don't see the point in buying a regular RO/ROC in wg though
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 07:13 AM   #16
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
All PM Rolex are struggling these days. If I were to buy a PM, it would be the 126619LB.
Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 07:24 AM   #17
sambb
"TRF" Member

All Rolex regardless is metal are showy. Everyone knows what it is. If you want subtle then go for a calatrava or patrimony. Or just get a speedmaster and play the role of nice watch but not a status symbol?
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 07:26 AM   #18
Quaress
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derklink View Post
Exactly what I was looking for a YG Submariner, they were a few tens of thousands cheaper, and most of them seemed to me as if they had been polished or worn, even if they listed new and unworn..
Quaress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 07:28 AM   #19
Quaress
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambb View Post
All Rolex regardless is metal are showy. Everyone knows what it is. If you want subtle then go for a calatrava or patrimony. Or just get a speedmaster and play the role of nice watch but not a status symbol?
I don't care about any status symbol, I love yellow gold since childhood, maybe it's because I'm just a Leo.
Quaress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 07:33 AM   #20
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Quote:
"Everyone" is probably a strong word to use The far majority have no interest in watches and would confuse a Rolex with a fashion watch, unless being specifically told
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 07:33 AM   #21
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
The 116719 is a sleeper if there ever was one :) one of my favourite and with such a short production run and factoring in that a lot of people switched out from blue to black the numbers have to be relatively little. But you are right it’s always been cheaply priced in comparison. Obviously this has a lot to do with the steel counterpart being exactly the same, which I personally love about it.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 07:39 AM   #22
Donnie90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I love precious metals, especially a yellow gold, but I would prefer 14k. 18k gold is too soft, the scratches are killing me....
Donnie90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 07:59 AM   #23
Krash

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:

I would argue that most people wouldn’t know the difference between a two tone blue dial Submariner (126613LB) and a $50 clone from Invicta. If they got a close up view, they might know, but from five feet away, they’d never know one is a $15,000 Rolex and the other is a $50 POS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 08:25 AM   #24
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphr1 View Post
Do I get the wrong impression?
Couldn't be more wrong in my case. I have have no idea if that applies to anyone else. I guess you're going to be right some of the time by dint of the normal distribution. The question is where's the peak of the bell curve and which direction is it moving in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
Obviously this has a lot to do with the steel counterpart being exactly the same, which I personally love about it.
Same here, although of the three dials now available new and used I prefer the blue.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 09:05 AM   #25
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That’s where I would fall with this. “Stealth wealth” in my view is more a variation of not wanting to or not having to care what other people think. Watches to me are about the (real or imagined) utility value, not the materials. I would never buy or wear a yellow gold watch, or yellow gold anything. I just don’t like it. It’s not attractive to me and is an inferior material over high grade steel. Same with any other precious metal. I can tolerate white gold or platinum where appropriate (meaning non functional parts).
And yes, if Rolex sold unbranded stainless steel versions (with no cyclops) of their assorted models I’d pay a premium.
I’m ok with my Speedies and have had maybe two or three people comment (as watch enthusiasts) over the course of 30 years of wearing one very regularly.
My Rolex is mostly relegated to weekends, outdoor activities or really anywhere that is not work related. Yes, people give a Sub or variant a side-eye. I’m not quite there yet to not care at all.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 09:09 AM   #26
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
I kind of went the opposite way.

I don’t have a white gold Sub, but always kinda thought that I don’t really care for the blue all that much…. It doesn’t look all that great..the green is cooler looking and much more affordable.

However…I tried the white gold Sub a month or two ago. We have a friend that is a watch dealer here locally and has one that let me check it out for a bit, and I have to say. It really grew on me. The weight and feel of the WG just feels special. Somehow that combined with the blue bezel just works. It’s an awesome watch.

I’ll have a WG one day either GMT or Sub. Just have a few priorities first to sort out.
Old 17 March 2024, 09:23 AM   #27
4reRlxGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3970
In the last 3 years I've bought more WG than RG and YG combined.

The delta between a nib steel Daytonas/Pepsi and a like new WG Pepsi/Daytona still under factory warranty were less than 10k
4reRlxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 09:45 AM   #28
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

I thought stealth wealth was OP or Explorer. Who knew.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 10:26 AM   #29
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIslander View Post
I thought stealth wealth was OP or Explorer. Who knew.
OP and Explorer are stealth but not wealth LOL
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 11:11 AM   #30
Andad

Watch: A few.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote