The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 April 2017, 08:13 PM   #1
Rami_m
"TRF" Member

Authenticating a used Rolex

I am considering getting a 16710 gmt. And am planning to get it authenticated. Do I just show up to an ad and they would check it on the spot? Do I need to leave it with them? Is there a charge for the service? I am based in Australia if that makes a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rami_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 08:13 PM   #2
MonBK
Banned

Walk in to your nearest AD and ask them.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 08:14 PM   #3
Rami_m
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Walk in to your nearest AD and ask them.

Lol. Trying to save myself the embarrassment of being told to go away.

Old 6 April 2017, 08:25 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rami_m View Post
I am considering getting a 16710 gmt. And am planning to get it authenticated. Do I just show up to an ad and they would check it on the spot? Do I need to leave it with them? Is there a charge for the service? I am based in Australia if that makes a difference.

If you are buying and need to have it authenticated its telling me that you do not trust the seller always buy the seller then the watch.Many ADs will not do authenticity service best ring first best way to check is get the caseback off.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 08:28 PM   #5
Rami_m
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
If you are buying and need to have it authenticated its telling me that you do not trust the seller always buy the seller then the watch.Many ADs will not do authenticity service best ring first best way to check is get the caseback off.

Dude, even a respected seller on this forum could have got it wrong. Never hurts to double check.

Old 6 April 2017, 08:44 PM   #6
meganfox17
Banned

Hi @Rami_m

In Malaysia , for total peace of mind , the Rolex Service Centre in Kuala Lumpur will authenticate the watch purchased from a grey dealer for a nominal fee of ranging from RM 250 - RM 280 ( AUD $ 75 - $ 85).

Apparently Rolex customers must be attended to within 30 mins. Based on my own personel experience , I was given a receipt and informed that the watch would be ready in 14 days but pleasantly surprised upon receiving a call on the 10th day saying the watch was ready for collection.

Heck ! I was informed that opening the back casing alone costs RM100 / ~ AUD $ 30. I also swapped a Coke bezel for a Pepsi and that set me back an additional RM300 / AUD 89

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 08:59 PM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Dude, even a respected seller on this forum could have got it wrong. Never hurts to double check.

First I am not a Dude anyone could get it wrong but always buy the seller first if bought from a non AD source..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 09:05 PM   #8
Rami_m
"TRF" Member

Quote:
First I am not a Dude anyone could get it wrong but always buy the seller first if bought from a non AD source..

I apologise, I tend to call everybody dude . I am going off a trusted seller in the vintage list, so am buying the seller in a way, But I will check regardless. Just for peace of mind you know.

Old 6 April 2017, 09:18 PM   #9
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
If you don't want to walk in, call first
Old 6 April 2017, 09:49 PM   #10
JSolano305
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060/116710BLNR
Quote:
I agree. I buy my watches from SoHAIS. I know I'm buying real legit watches. I trust him and many here too.
JSolano305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 09:52 PM   #11
Flywheel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Some people just need assurances beyond the trustworthiness of the seller. Not sure why this is so hard for some members to grasp.
Flywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 10:19 PM   #12
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flywheel View Post
Some people just need assurances beyond the trustworthiness of the seller. Not sure why this is so hard for some members to grasp.
Then that is what an authorized dealer is for. Not sure why this is so hard to grasp.
Omega Seamaster SMP300m, Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 10:23 PM   #13
Rami_m
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Then that is what an authorized dealer is for. Not sure why this is so hard to grasp.

Well, sometimes the dealer is only interested in selling you a watch and making money. The few bucks to verify things may not be worth their time. I never make the assumption I am entitled to a service.

Old 6 April 2017, 10:23 PM   #14
ThatSubGuy
Banned

If you have the watch in hand, try setting them time. It should adjust clock-wise. That would be the easiest tell "on sight" if you are otherwise no expert. This doesn't rule out a fake though, so if unsure, then always get it checked by your AD. (If they have an inhouse watchsmith he can quickly pop the back and verify the movement).
ThatSubGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 10:29 PM   #15
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Well, sometimes the dealer is only interested in selling you a watch and making money. The few bucks to verify things may not be worth their time. I never make the assumption I am entitled to a service.

You have your answer in post #6.

Take it to Kuala Lumpur and be done with it.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 10:32 PM   #16
Flywheel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Old 6 April 2017, 11:01 PM   #17
stone_gossard
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub n speed pro
maybe after you purchased it then bring to AD and tell them you want to regulate the watch. and they will do it and if they found out something fishy they will tell you and hopefully hey wont confiscated the watch if it is fake.
stone_gossard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 11:07 PM   #18
dpauley
Banned

Watch: Rolex 18038
I have purchased many pre-owned and as a habit I got to my AD and get it authenticated as well as getting an appraisal for insurance. Typically it costs me $100 but the peace of mind is key and then I have what I need to add it to my insurance policy.
dpauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 11:24 PM   #19
Jim P
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,Exp1&2,YM,Milg
I've purchased watches from DavidSW and SOHAIS and never even considered getting it authenticated. Am I being foolish or too trustworthy?
Jim P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 11:49 PM   #20
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolano305 View Post
I agree. I buy my watches from SoHAIS. I know I'm buying real legit watches. I trust him and many here too.
Yup, went ebay first, . then after returning that frankenrolex went with sohais
iliketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 11:49 PM   #21
Flywheel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone_gossard View Post
maybe after you purchased it then bring to AD and tell them you want to regulate the watch. and they will do it and if they found out something fishy they will tell you and hopefully hey wont confiscated the watch if it is fake.
Done the same with pressure testing.
Old 6 April 2017, 11:49 PM   #22
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone_gossard View Post
i thought only RSC confiscates
iliketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2017, 12:05 AM   #23
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketime View Post
i thought only RSC confiscates
Yes, not heard of any AD willing to do this which will basically be a case of he said "watchmaker" said, and then the police will probably have to be called by either the AD or the owner, not a good look all round. Even RSC do not always confiscate, they just refuse to work on it. Only if it stolen will they confiscate the watch and hand it over to the police.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2017, 12:11 AM   #24
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
I've purchased watches from DavidSW and SOHAIS and never even considered getting it authenticated. Am I being foolish or too trustworthy?
No, you're fine. I've bought five or so from DSW and no issues. My latest is at RSC right now for a new crystal. They would have let me know by now if there was a problem...
Old 7 April 2017, 12:21 AM   #25
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

My local AD, which is a big jewelry chain, told me they will not take the back off to authenticate a watch. They would send it out to a RSC.

Just give them a call. I'm sure they won't get upset with you for asking.
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2017, 12:28 AM   #26
blue16613
Banned

Quote:

Ah!
Finally!
Now it has all come clear and I see the error in my thinking.....

ADs only want to sell you a watch and make money but "trusted sellers" just want to be your friend.
blue16613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2017, 12:28 AM   #27
JSolano305
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060/116710BLNR
Quote:

Naw you good. I've purchased twice from SoHAIS. You think these 2 sellers here will mess up their reputation over 1 bad watch sale? Highly doubt it. They are good top sellers and what they do puts food on their table. I'm highly confident in them.

JSolano305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2017, 12:32 AM   #28
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
This came up for me just yesterday in a deal I was doing. I contacted RSC here in Toronto. They charge $175 to authenticate and they request 7 business days.

OP sounds like you have your answer.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2017, 12:46 AM   #29
blue16613
Banned

Quote:
I think we all would agree that these guys (and others frequently cited here) would never, ever dream of selling a non-genuine watch.

But, this speaks to intention. And, again, the intentions of those we speak of are always noble.

The question is whether or not it is possible that they could unintentionally sell a piece that is not genuine or has some component which is not authentic?

We can argue this back and forth but maybe we should ask them. Would they, under oath in a court of law, say it is not possible this could happen?

My guess is they would all say of course it is possible.

Does that make them any the less honest or trustworthy. No, of course not.

All one needs to know is that if it ever occurred they'd be there to stand behind their sale.

"Trust but verify!"
blue16613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2017, 03:04 AM   #30
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
This came up for me just yesterday in a deal I was doing. I contacted RSC here in Toronto. They charge $175 to authenticate and they request 7 business days.

OP sounds like you have your answer.
Good to know Brian, hope this extends worldwide, and presumably this does not void the warranty if done by RSC.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote