The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 September 2017, 09:29 PM   #1
Zanotti
"TRF" Member

Coming from Omega, why are Rolex bands so dainty?

While looking at a BLRO or BLNR to add to my collection, I wore my Aqua Terra to the store to look. I was surprised that the Rolex band by comparison is much narrower and thinner.

It seems like a beefy watch with a dainty band. Why?

Is it weight, style, comfort?

A rather surprising result when looking at the watches in person was the weight difference of the bands vs the heads.

Z
Zanotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 09:49 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Cannot understand todays why some think that weight is making anything better. The Rolex oyster bracelet made in their millions and myself have not heard of many that fail unless the weakest link in any bracelet the spring bars.Even the old style bracelets have been tested and will take over 525 lbs stress before breaking

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 09:51 PM   #3
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Innovation by good design and classic elegance through a carefully thought out taper.
Omega like other brands such as TAG merely have a parallel bracelet because it's much easier to manufacture and hence cheaper.

In summary.
You get what you pay for.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 09:54 PM   #4
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Cannot understand todays why some think that weight is making anything better. The Rolex oyster bracelet made in their millions and myself have not heard of many that fail unless the weakest link in any bracelet the spring bars.Even the old style bracelets have been tested and will take over 525 lbs stress before breaking
I would add that a well known weakness of Omega bracelets from the past is the little pins that hold them together.
Rolex bracelets are an industry standard just like their movements.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 10:00 PM   #5
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanotti View Post

Because that is how Rolex designed it and clearly how their customers like it.
Omega Seamaster SMP300m, Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 10:16 PM   #6
TonyD
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Meteorite Daytona
I hear what you are saying and the taper does make them look dainty sometimes. Especially on the DSSD for example. But in the end the thinner clasp section is made for comfort.

On some watches with big beefy bracelets the clasp digs in as you flex around all day.

My Ploprof has one of the best bracelets I've ever seen and its like its own piece of jewelry. Its a different goal.
Old 13 September 2017, 10:37 PM   #7
BiH115
"TRF" Member

Watch: your mouth!
I can't think of a more comfortable, solidly built bracelet than the ones on my GMT-IIc and SubC. It feels meticulously over engineered, which I can't say for others brands watches. There's always a feeling of flimsiness, or excessive rattle, not so with the Oyster bracelet. The taper just adds to the overall look, and I think it's all positive, adds some uniqueness. When I put on another brand of watch with a steel bracelet, I honestly can't wait to take it off, but I suppose that'll come with wearing an Oyster bracelet 24/7 for months on end.
BiH115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 10:40 PM   #8
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
Moving to Rolex from other brands that had bracelets as wide as 24mm I really enjoy the oyster and don't like wearing anything wider than the oyster now. Even my Pelagos feels too wide...
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 10:41 PM   #9
kopykopy
"TRF" Member

Taper is good.
CURRENT: Rolex Daytona 116520, Submariner 114060, Oyster Perpetual 36mm 116034, Submariner Date 16610LN, Explorer II 16570, Omega Seamaster Professional 36mm 2263.80.00, Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00.

SOLD: Rolex Explorer 114270, Submariner 14060M, JLC Reverso Grand Taille.
kopykopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 10:53 PM   #10
Blackdog
"TRF" Member

I'm partial to 5-digit references, that means the older Oyster bracelets/clasps. And I find them to be very rugged and over-engineered for the task. And even though the design is simple, the execution is immaculate !

These bracelets are very comfortable, and light. And have a classic look. I love the taper down to 16mm, for example. And are very durable. They've been known to be in professional service for decades, without fail.

The impression of flimsiness does not necessarily translate into a weak bracelet. Just like the impression of beefiness does not necessarily ensure strength...

But they do rattle. I'll give you that....
Blackdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 11:11 PM   #11
peterpl
Banned

All 5 digit rolex bracelets feel tinny and rattle. Thats how they were made and I can understand when you come from an Omega PO or AP bracelet and then wear a Rolex one - well the difference in weight and feel is huge.

6 digit bracelets are better and feel more solid however they are still not that heavy when compared to others. In saying that I've never had a Rolex bracelet stuff up on me.

I felt the same way as the Op when I first ventured into Rolex and I've heard of heaps of people saying this so he does have a point. If your someone that likes to feel the heft your only option is a Precious metal piece - they are heavy.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 11:28 PM   #12
JnmEaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18038 Presidential
this guy is gonna be a popular, thread too..... subscribing, lol
JnmEaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 12:20 AM   #13
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I absolutely love the bracelets on the 4 and 5 digits. They may feel flimsy but they're definitely not, and they're supremely comfortable on top of that. I'd take a hundred of them before one from a Speedmaster.
As a matter of fact, the two bracelets I like the least from all my Rolex are the ones on the 214270 and the Air King 114210.

Old 14 September 2017, 12:27 AM   #14
Mystro
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

I own many brands besides Rolex. The modern Rolex bracelet is miles better than anything else.
Old 14 September 2017, 12:33 AM   #15
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
I own many brands besides Rolex. The modern Rolex bracelet is miles better than anything else.
I'd have to disagree 1000% with this statement. AP bracelet on a RO/ROO is MILES better in comfort and feel than any Rolex bracelet. There is actually no comparison.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 01:29 AM   #16
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
I take good care of my watches. I use my Rolexes probably no more than 50% of the their capabilities. I've never had a 5 digit (or pre 5 digit) sports watch that didn't require some type of bracelet repair after 10 years or less.

I didn't know any better in the past, but knowing what I know now, I find that unacceptable. That outdated bracelet is something that nearly had me jumping the Rolex ship about 4 years ago. Then I discovered the new glidelock and it opened the door back up to Rolex.

I totally agree with you Padi regarding the weight and "beefier" feel of a bracelet, not necessarily equating to quality. But quality and design still has everything to do with quality. The fact is the newer style Glidelock bracelet feels significantly heavier than my old 16610 bracelet. In this case I find the heavier of the two to be much much better.

I get why someone might jump to the conclusion that heavier is better, especially if they follow this design evolution that is evident within the Rolex brand.

All that said, while I find my Daytona 116500 clasp and bracelet, as well as my wife's 116234 clasp and bracelet to be totally acceptable quality, I find the glidelock on my sub to be miles above in terms of quality and design. To me it's the gold standard and towers above the rest of the industry.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear other brands (i.e. Omega) are rivaling or surpassing (non glidelock) Rolex bracelets.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 01:30 AM   #17
Wildy
"TRF" Member

I personally love the Rolex bracelet. Comfort all day long. The only other brand which I have owned with what I considered a more comfortable bracelet was an IWC Ingenuier, but the difference was negligible.
Old 14 September 2017, 01:46 AM   #18
Mastergreenhand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Starbucks, Panerai
I don't think they look dainty, unless you have a huge wrist, I guess that can factor in.
Old 14 September 2017, 02:27 AM   #19
tatery
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 polar
Rolex bands are quite comfortable and durable in my experience. The taper increases wrist comfort for me. It's a design that has stood the test of time already and still looks good / performs well. Not to say this is the only watch band worth having but it's the best in my limited experience that I've owned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14 September 2017, 02:31 AM   #20
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
I actually agree with the OP. Rolex bracelets are just not as good as breitling. the balanace is off the pins stretch. maybe the sd50 is different but I went with a daytona on leather strap because I didn't think Rolex bracelets were as good as the rest of their watch.

i do like the president though.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 02:36 AM   #21
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Quote:
I concur......& IMHO, the older Rolex & Tudor bracelets are more comfortable
Old 14 September 2017, 02:37 AM   #22
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
The taper on the DSSD is more dramatic but on the subc etc it is fine. I had Breitlings and Omegas that didn't taper and neither wore more comfy than the other.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 02:41 AM   #23
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
While looking at a BLRO or BLNR to add to my collection, I wore my Aqua Terra to the store to look. I was surprised that the Rolex band by comparison is much narrower and thinner.

A rather surprising result when looking at the watches in person was the weight difference of the bands vs the heads.

Z
Just different sized watches. I wouldn't call Rolex dainty by any means. Omega are typically larger watches. Though I'd be a bit confused if you thought the Aqua Terra bracelet wore heavier than the BLRO that is white gold.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 02:56 AM   #24
BiH115
"TRF" Member

Watch: your mouth!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
Just different sized watches. I wouldn't call Rolex dainty by any means. Omega are typically larger watches. Though I'd be a bit confused if you thought the Aqua Terra bracelet wore heavier than the BLRO that is white gold.
Not sure I understand either, the BLRO is 225g or so, while the Aqua Terra is what, about 150g or so? That's obviously with the case for both, but still.
BiH115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 03:01 AM   #25
Hands90
"TRF" Member

Cause Rolex owners are dainty.
Hands90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 03:02 AM   #26
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Re: weight vs quality
My Tag Aquaracer was a LOT heavier than my Sub, and hell wasn't it a better watch...!

Old 14 September 2017, 03:02 AM   #27
jinikari01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:

Z
I know what you mean and I felt the same way at first and I still think band/bracelet width is not proportional to the entire design of SS sport models.

However, I do feel with recent 2017 SD43 is where Rolex upgraded and made the watch proportion much more balanced.
jinikari01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 03:09 AM   #28
jnkay
"TRF" Member

Watch: du jour
The 6-digit oyster bracelets are notably thin from front to back (not referring to side-side). While comfortable, I think they are a bit too thin. The 5-digit Yacht Master and late 5-digit full-gold sports models had thicker bracelets that IMHO look more substantial and preferable and just as comfortable.
jnkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 03:09 AM   #29
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Calling a Rolex dainty compared to Omega is offensive. Trigger warning, I'm going to my safe place and play with my stuffed animals now.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 03:19 AM   #30
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Calling a Rolex dainty compared to Omega is offensive. Trigger warning, I'm going to my safe place and play with my stuffed animals now.
My safe place is actually my room with my Rolex Watches!!!

904VT is offline   Reply With Quote