The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 September 2017, 12:33 AM   #1
ChrisNY
"TRF" Member

Finding the watch I fell in love with back then...

I’d like to share a short story. In the early 90’s, I tried on a YG Day-Date with champagne dial & gold stick markers at my local Rolex AD while shopping for a SS Sub. Had just turned 21. I’ve been wearing my Sub for 25 years as my daily watch - it’s never let me down. However, I never forgot the image of that particular DD – it left quite an impression on me. I loved the monochromatic look and how substantial, yet smooth it felt on my wrist. As much as I fell in love with the DD, it was out of my reach back then – plus, I was young and the Sub was a perfect fit for my lifestyle.

So I’ve been happily wearing my Sub ever since, but I never forgot that DD. About a year ago, I started looking casually at shops in my area to see if one might be for sale. Most had something going on that kept me from pulling the trigger (stretch, polish, no papers etc.). Earlier this year, I started looking online and found TRF. Thanks to TRF, I found the exact same model that I tried on so many years ago as a complete set. What’s incredible is that the owner never wore it - it’s as if this time capsule has been waiting for me all these years. I have to thank wadeb_21 (Ben) for the find.

Yesterday, I went to Rolex at 665 5th Ave for sizing. I shared my story with the manager and she was incredibly gracious. My DD was sized at no cost and I was given a copy of Rolex Magazine, a nice velvety pouch for the extra links and an additional travel pouch. I was blown away by how warm and genuinely happy they were for me. When I left, the manager wished me congratulations on my “new” watch as if I had just bought it downstairs. It really made me feel proud and kinda special. I sent her a thank you note afterwards and thought I'd share the story here too.

Happy to be here at TRF and I’m very grateful for all of the resources available on this site.

Chris
ChrisNY is offline   Reply With Quote