The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 October 2024, 01:46 AM   #1
Easy E
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Perception is powerful..and expensive

Retail vs retail, one vs the other hard to say if the Daytona $6k more watch than white Speedy or not. Maybe it is. I have owned a white 500 and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. I found it to have legibility issues in many lighting conditions. I just picked up the white Speedy yesterday and it is super solid in the legibility department. So in that regard, favor to the Speedy. The general market seems to disagree with me. I get it the Daytona is a beautiful piece, but 3.7x...wow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WhiteSpeedy Vs WhiteDaytona.jpg (47.8 KB, 1465 views)
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 01:48 AM   #2
Mystro

And worth every penny more……
Old 24 October 2024, 01:49 AM   #3
MP777
"TRF" Member

One is 99% made in Switzerland (and holds its value) while the other is probably 75% made in China (and will be at half off a couple of years later). The finishing and overall quality is really apparent when you compare them side by side.
MP777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 02:01 AM   #4
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP777 View Post
One is 99% made in Switzerland (and holds its value) while the other is probably 75% made in China (and will be at half off a couple of years later). The finishing and overall quality is really apparent when you compare them side by side.
You better have some evidence before claiming the China connection! I have both and I would say they are not worlds apart. Daytona is better build in case finishing, but I'd argue that no movement is more beautiful than the Speedy's.
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 02:10 AM   #5
MP777
"TRF" Member

Plenty of posts already about Omega bracelets coming from China. The country of origin doesn’t really matter as long as the same standard of quality applies, which in Omega’s case I dont think it does.

Just look at the inside edge of your clasp and you’ll see the stamped marks left by the NCT machine. Now look at the Daytona’s and see how well polished it is. Just one example of Omega’s cost cutting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphr1 View Post
You better have some evidence before claiming the China connection! I have both and I would say they are not worlds apart. Daytona is better build in case finishing, but I'd argue that no movement is more beautiful than the Speedy's.
MP777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 02:20 AM   #6
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
LOL

Easy on the koolaid
Old 24 October 2024, 02:23 AM   #7
Sergio_UKR
2024 Pledge Member

I own both White Face Speedy and RG OF Daytona 12x. Both purchased from ADs and I would say that both overpriced even at retail, with Rolex obviously being overpriced more.

Panda's secondary market price is just absurd. Just buy a PM Daytona from your AD at retail instead if you really want Daytona.
Sergio_UKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 02:23 AM   #8
EL Diablo
"TRF" Member

I own each of these pieces...
Each is unique in its own way and I admire them both.

Daytona is automatic Vs. manual Speedy
Daytona finishing is better... and feels more lux.

Speedy has open case back displaying the 3861

You can get a Speedy at the Ad... Good luck getting a Daytona.
Daytona sells for 2x MSRP in the secondary market... you can get a brand new speedy for 15%-20% discount. Not the white one yet.

While I love the Speedy... The Daytona wins for me.
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 02:32 AM   #9
CH69
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
Retail vs retail, one vs the other hard to say if the Daytona $6k more watch than white Speedy or not. Maybe it is. I have owned a white 500 and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. I found it to have legibility issues in many lighting conditions. I just picked up the white Speedy yesterday and it is super solid in the legibility department. So in that regard, favor to the Speedy. The general market seems to disagree with me. I get it the Daytona is a beautiful piece, but 3.7x...wow.
It is the brand (and image it projects on the wearer) that commands the premium. Watch wise, both are great pieces, but image wise, Rolex is far ahead of Omega.
CH69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 02:40 AM   #10
jamesgames
"TRF" Member

Retail vs Retail the daytona premium is 100% worth it. I dont know a single person that would turn down a daytona at retail for a speedy..

I do love the speedmaster white dial, but it just isn't the white dial daytona.
jamesgames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 02:51 AM   #11
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't really understand this logic. A gshock is a fraction of the price, more reliable, accurate, and legible than either of the watches - why aren't we including that in this discussion?

We need to accept that these are luxury baubles, and some baubles are more hyped than others.
gamingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 02:53 AM   #12
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow coming in here with guns blazing...surely you have a source to back this up?
gamingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 03:08 AM   #13
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So Omega’s watches are only 25% Swiss? You know that for a watch to be considered Swiss Made, 60% of its components need to be Swiss, right? So stop spreading misinformation
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 03:28 AM   #14
Know1isgod
"TRF" Member

Thinking about trading my Air King 126900 for a white speedy. Already have the black 3861 SS.
Know1isgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 03:45 AM   #15
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
lol. E for Effort

The Daytona is well worth that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 03:46 AM   #16
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingdoctor View Post
I don't really understand this logic. A gshock is a fraction of the price, more reliable, accurate, and legible than either of the watches - why aren't we including that in this discussion?

We need to accept that these are luxury baubles, and some baubles are more hyped than others.

Thank you, well said

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 03:49 AM   #17
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I own both a steel Daytona and a Speedy. Love both of them, reseller price irrelevant to me.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 03:52 AM   #18
Easy Rhino
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2-Line Sub & DJ41
The retail on that 126500LN Daytona in oystersteel is only $15,100, not $34,675. False equivalency.
Easy Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 03:56 AM   #19
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
None of it makes sense. Because the absolute highest complication watch is the $500 Apple Watch. The toughest watch is likely just a $100 g shock. We can see through replica pricing that raw material cost + basic labor could be below $1000 for either.

I have daytonas. I have had the speedmaster sapphire. The caseback is beautiful. I've not had problems with either. Thoough I feel the speedmaster is a better watch, the hype and the story of daytona continues to draw me in. What can I say? i'm just peer-pressure-prone basic b**** who is not into space at all.

Quote:
Retail vs retail, one vs the other hard to say if the Daytona $6k more watch than white Speedy or not. Maybe it is. I have owned a white 500 and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. I found it to have legibility issues in many lighting conditions. I just picked up the white Speedy yesterday and it is super solid in the legibility department. So in that regard, favor to the Speedy.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 03:58 AM   #20
Easy E

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingdoctor View Post

It looks like you do understand, this is, in fact, the point.
Old 24 October 2024, 04:04 AM   #21
Easy E

I 100% understand those that prefer the 500 to the white Speedy at retail. I can see the differences enough to justify a $7000 delta, if you like it. For that matter, I just bought a TT 503 white face, secondary price was a hair over retail plus tax. Did so without hesitation - also, very happy with that purchase. But an extra $25K for the steel 500...thats hype and emotion (to me).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WS1.jpg (117.7 KB, 1293 views)
File Type: jpg 503-2.jpg (140.2 KB, 1285 views)
Old 24 October 2024, 04:07 AM   #22
SS Oyster
2024 Pledge Member

These are luxury pieces. Hard to argue with a Casio if all you want is comfort, accuracy and price. With luxury, you are buying what strikes your heart and how you are perceived by others. People want what they can’t get … that means Daytona.

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 04:08 AM   #23
Carguy87

Watch: JC 126660
One has a very accurate and reliable movement that will function worry free for years to come.

The other has a crown on the dial

(Just a bit of fun guys, don’t get out the flame throwers please lol)
Tudor: Black Bay GMT Opaline
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 04:39 AM   #24
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Both are cool looking watches. In terms of the price difference that’s up to the buyer to decide.

Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 04:46 AM   #25
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

The Kings, new clothes?
Is this fairly ordinary looking, steel watch, really worth more than £250K....(more than 4 times MRSP)?
The important thing is, somebody, thinks it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 97538cdce9554fbda9882ff0c7323ee9.jpg copy.jpg (19.0 KB, 1238 views)
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 04:58 AM   #26
fivedime
"TRF" Member

Watch: BB58 925, OP39, DD
No chronograph can match the Speedmaster Professional…black or white dial…in instant legibility. That is one of the shining beauties of the Pro. Beyond that…of course, this bring a Rolex forum, most people here will state they prefer the Daytona to the Speedmaster. Myself, as much as I love certain Rolexes (mostly vintage Classics, and 5–digit-and-earlier GMT Master II’s), I very much prefer Speedmasters to Daytonas, so much so that I have been offered Daytonas (as well as various incarnations of Tudor chronos) by my AD and turned the opportunities down. So, for those who say they don’t know anyone who would turn down a Daytona at retail vs a Speedmaster…pleased to make your acquaintance. As others have stated, these are all luxury wants, far removed from life’s necessities…wear what *you* like…like what *you* wear…
fivedime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 05:31 AM   #27
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

People seem to forget that there was a time when the 5711 was trading well below retail, while the Daytona was trading above it. If you had compared the two back then, no one in their right mind would have used the appreciation or depreciation argument to determine which is better. Reducing the comparison of the Daytona and Speedmaster purely to market trends is simplistic and misses the point of this hobby.

Think about it: handcrafted, full grain Italian shoes can sell for less than factory made Jordans, which often come with glue marks and quality control issues. Yet those Jordans can trade for 15 times their retail price because of hype and a culture obsessed with flexing. The Daytona operates in a similar market dynamic.

Plus, there are modern Speedmasters, like the 45th Silver Snoopy, that trade close to the $50k mark—around seven or eight times their original MSRP. That shows how market values can fluctuate across brands and aren’t strictly tied to quality or prestige.

At the end of the day, we should focus on what makes each watch unique instead of just looking at their prices. It's about the craftsmanship and history behind these pieces, not just the numbers.
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 06:29 AM   #28
jitdc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126500
Have the black dial Daytona and white dial speedy. Both are fantastic watches! The Daytona is head and shoulders above the Speedy in terms of fit and finish, size, comfort, etc. Plus it's waterproof.... unlike the Speedy regardless of its stated ratings. Rolex just looks better overall in my opinion compared to Omega. The Speedy is still a great watch though and much nearer to being appropriately priced. My Daytona.. well all of them I've had including full gold, RG OF, and now steel have all been from my AD. Probably overpriced even at the AD, certainly on the secondary. But I don't set the prices the market does and if that is what the market demands for one on the secondary then so be it. Worth doesn't have anything to do with it really. It is just what someone else is willing to pay, that's all that matters.
jitdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 06:36 AM   #29
JSol1

A slightly different perspective…

I consider myself a collector, and am definitely top heavy with Rolex, mostly because the models I own appeal to me. I’m fortunate in that every watch I own is Retail.

I was interested in adding a Speedy to my collection, not comparing fit/finish to my Black & White 115s, but because of its history and I generally appreciate Omega. The only reason I didn’t pick one up is it simply didn’t appeal to me on my wrist.

I will be trading my 2 Daytonas in for a Black 126 and haven’t decided if I’ll add the White, but the reality is I rarely wore the White (admittedly some that being due to public presence).

Perhaps I’ll come around on a Speedy at some point and will happily own it without comparing to anything else I own…it’s a great hobby!
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 07:53 AM   #30
rockysw
"TRF" Member

At retail, I think the difference is justified. Daytona is an automatic with 12m thickness, and omega is a manual wind with over 13m thickness. That alone justifies to me the difference in retail price. Not to mention that daytona is column wheel etc etc.

But this doesnt mean I dont like the white speedy. But to me it is not in the same calibre as daytona for the reason mentioned above. The daytona movement is category of its own in this price range.
rockysw is offline   Reply With Quote