The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 September 2008, 04:51 PM   #1
mattluczy

Watch: 14060M
Warranty question...

Hey all. I bought my 14060M from wannabuyawatch, so it's second hand, but it came with the box and papers... the watch is less than two years old, therefor, the warranty still stands, right? Could i take it down to the Beverly Hills RSC and have them polish and regulate it for me even though I'm not the original owner? How does this work?
mattluczy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2008, 04:52 PM   #2
scottschoe
"TRF" Member

Warranty does not transfer in the US.
Old 21 September 2008, 05:03 PM   #3
mattluczy

And an AD couldn't do these things for me either, right?
Old 21 September 2008, 05:03 PM   #4
C. Davidson
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT (116710)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattluczy View Post
Hey all. I bought my 14060M from wannabuyawatch, so it's second hand, but it came with the box and papers... the watch is less than two years old, therefor, the warranty still stands, right? Could i take it down to the Beverly Hills RSC and have them polish and regulate it for me even though I'm not the original owner? How does this work?
Sorry Matt, unfortunately the Rolex warranty is only good for the original owner to the watch. Some approx. prices...

Refinish Steel case and bracelet= $150
Regulate Watch= $75?

Hope that helps, by the way, why would it need regulating? Is it running fast/slow?

#15,634

"The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out."
C. Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2008, 05:04 PM   #5
scottschoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And an AD couldn't do these things for me either, right?
You could take a gamble and see if an AD would, but I doubt it. Just leave the polishing for service time.
Old 21 September 2008, 05:07 PM   #6
Sky..

Take it to them, they have a watchmaker.
Sky.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2008, 05:09 PM   #7
mattluczy

Yeah, it's running about 5 seconds fast per day. I'll set it to time.gov, and for two to three days it's right on the money, and then after that it slowly starts gaining a tad each day. Over a week, on average it will have gained about 20-25 seconds... I know that's not horrible or anything, I just know that it's most likely capable of better. It's also not scratched all that bad, but I just figured I'd ask... who could argue with a free polish! :) Thanks for the swift responses!
Old 21 September 2008, 05:12 PM   #8
mattluczy

Is it risky having someone other than Rolex regulate your watch? I know they're a very reputable place, and the list of people that buy from them is staggering. I just feel slightly uneasy about having anybody that doesn't work for the company that made it open it up. If anyone has any input on the quality of their actual servicing of watches, it would be much appreciated!
Old 21 September 2008, 05:14 PM   #9
Sky..

My opinion is that RSC and genuine parts (some parts, not all) are over-hyped, so my answer is it's safe.
Sky.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2008, 05:17 PM   #10
scottschoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Is it risky having someone other than Rolex regulate your watch? I know they're a very reputable place, and the list of people that buy from them is staggering. I just feel slightly uneasy about having anybody that doesn't work for the company that made it open it up. If anyone has any input on the quality of their actual servicing of watches, it would be much appreciated!
If it makes you feel uneasy, just leave it. The watch is only gaining 3sec/day. There are some great independent shops and regulation on Rolex movements isn't rocket science, just don't get burned.
Old 21 September 2008, 05:36 PM   #11
C. Davidson
"TRF" Member

Long Post, but I think you will find it helpful.

Quote:
Yeah, it's running about 5 seconds fast per day. I'll set it to time.gov, and for two to three days it's right on the money, and then after that it slowly starts gaining a tad each day. Over a week, on average it will have gained about 20-25 seconds... I know that's not horrible or anything, I just know that it's most likely capable of better. It's also not scratched all that bad, but I just figured I'd ask... who could argue with a free polish! :) Thanks for the swift responses!
Matt,

My advice to you: do not have it regulated. It is keeping excellent time. In some cases, regulating can make it do the opposite, ie run 3 seconds slow per day. Not a good thing.

For COSC standards, anything between -4/+6 sec. a day is considered a chronometer (at time of testing, in your case 2-4 years ago). Rolex's Superlative Chronometer standards are -1/+5 sec. per day, and by these tighter standards, you are still doing excellent (+3 sec. per day for you).

Try to self-regulate first, here's how in 4 nights. At the end of each night compare the time at night (8 hours at least), to the time in the morning against an atomic clock. Multiply reading by 3 and record difference
  • 1st night, rest watch on bedstand with the dial facing "up" or towards your ceiling. .
  • 2nd night, rest watch with dial facing "down" or towards the floor.
  • 3rd night, rest watch sidways with crown facing up.
  • 4th night, rest watch sideways with crown facing down.

Your goal here is to find in which of these positions your watch run slow. Every mechanical watch is unique in how they run in these different positions. Some watches run fast in all positions and if that is your case, you are out of luck. If, say in the dial down or crown down positions, your watch runs slow, rest it in those positions at night so that your Rolex will "correct" itself during the night.

P.S. Tip for getting a refinish cheaper than $150 at an AD. Ask to talk directly to the watchmaker, when you speak to them, offer a $50 cash tip for a "free" refinish and see what they say. Watchmakers, like all of us, love tips. Worth a try.

#15,634

"The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out."
Old 21 September 2008, 05:47 PM   #12
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottschoe View Post
Warranty does not transfer in the US.
I think not transfer in Asia area too.
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2008, 05:51 PM   #13
C. Davidson
"TRF" Member

One more thing...

Quote:
Your movement is worth somewhere between $1600 and $2000. A certified watchmaker (2 year vocational school) at an authorized dealer is the best and only person who should ever touch your movement.

Having any hack (and yes, there are some watch butchers out there) work on your Rolex could have devastating and costly results. Not worth saving a few bucks.

#15,634

Old 21 September 2008, 06:19 PM   #14
walds11
"TRF" Member

Tell the RSC that you got the watch as a gift. That will do the trick.