The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 1 April 2019, 12:44 PM   #1
Mikesf340
"TRF" Member

NATO question

I had a couple questions about the Omega nato straps. First, what size would I need for a Speedmaster Professional. Second, I want an all black strap, but I don’t love the black coated nylon fabric one (too thick and less metal). I can’t find a black polyester strap on the omega website. Would the dark brown strap look almost black on the wrist? Has anyone had any experience with this? Thanks!
Mikesf340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2019, 10:58 PM   #2
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesf340 View Post
I had a couple questions about the Omega nato straps. First, what size would I need for a Speedmaster Professional. Second, I want an all black strap, but I don’t love the black coated nylon fabric one (too thick and less metal). I can’t find a black polyester strap on the omega website. Would the dark brown strap look almost black on the wrist? Has anyone had any experience with this? Thanks!
Just call up the local AD and tell them what you want. They do have the black and many other colors you can check on the website. I believe it’s 20mm, but they are very helpful. I ordered the black nato with gray stripes and they sent it 2 day fed ex and also some new curved springbars which apparently are curved to reduce the stress placed on the bars added by the nato.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2019, 10:31 AM   #3
tjs00
"TRF" Member

20mm - this is the one I ordered online, and this is what it came with.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/o...-031cwz010698w
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4318_small.jpg (195.5 KB, 196 views)
tjs00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2019, 11:16 AM   #4
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
apparently are curved to reduce the stress placed on the bars added by the nato.
Not true. They are curved to give more room between the case and the spring bar so the nato will fit. Any nato/nylon/leather/bracelet all apply force evenly across a spring bar.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2019, 11:17 AM   #5
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesf340 View Post
but I don’t love the black coated nylon fabric one (too thick and less metal). I can’t find a black polyester strap on the omega website
Which straps are you talking about?
Old 2 April 2019, 08:51 PM   #6
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
Not true. They are curved to give more room between the case and the spring bar so the nato will fit. Any nato/nylon/leather/bracelet all apply force evenly across a spring bar.

Yes, and the extra space makes for less pressure. Both are true in this instance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3 April 2019, 12:54 AM   #7
Mikesf340
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Which straps are you talking about?
The Omega nato straps displayed on their web site.
Mikesf340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 10:41 AM   #8
vicsdca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs00 View Post
20mm - this is the one I ordered online, and this is what it came with.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/o...-031cwz010698w

What's in the tube?
vicsdca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 01:00 PM   #9
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, and the extra space makes for less pressure. Both are true in this instance.

Can you demonstrate to me how extra space makes for less pressure on a spring bar?

I am truly intrigued how this could be possible.
Old 3 April 2019, 08:05 PM   #10
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Can you demonstrate to me how extra space makes for less pressure on a spring bar?

I am truly intrigued how this could be possible.

Alright, I’ll walk you through. Let’s say a thick nato is put on. The strap goes under the spring bars. The watch then goes on the wrist. Look down at your wrist, and you can see the nato press against the spring bars. Now add a curved bar, and it gives a touch extra room. I was told this by an omega watch maker (not just sales staff) and it also stands to reason if you really look at what material is hitting and touching what when the watch is strapped on.

Cheers.

Old 4 April 2019, 03:14 AM   #11
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Alright, I’ll walk you through. Let’s say a thick nato is put on. The strap goes under the spring bars. The watch then goes on the wrist. Look down at your wrist, and you can see the nato press against the spring bars. Now add a curved bar, and it gives a touch extra room. I was told this by an omega watch maker (not just sales staff) and it also stands to reason if you really look at what material is hitting and touching what when the watch is strapped on.

Cheers.

What? The nato/nylon/leather/rubber conforms to any spring used, including a curved one. I will takes pics to demonstrate this and post them.
Old 4 April 2019, 03:38 AM   #12
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Just chiming in.

When I bought the Omega OEM nato strap from the boutique they also provided me with curved springbars and told me to use them with the nato on the speedy.

However, the spring bars included with the current moonwatch with the extra straps are all the standard straight bars.
Old 4 April 2019, 03:45 AM   #13
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What? The nato/nylon/leather/rubber conforms to any spring used, including a curved one. I will takes pics to demonstrate this and post them.

Yes, they indicated they made the curved bars especially for the thicker nato. Yes they conform, but the thicker material is more compressed than the thinner material.

Old 4 April 2019, 05:56 AM   #14
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
The curved bars do in fact make the NATO easier to install AND eliminates the "bending" stress that a straight bar would take. There is less outward pressure on a curved bar than a straight bar, especially when the spring bar is really close to the case.
Old 4 April 2019, 06:43 AM   #15
tjs00
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicsdca View Post
What's in the tube?
Spring bar tool, also comes with spring bars in a separate tube that is hidden by the mesh.
tjs00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2019, 08:54 AM   #16
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes they conform, but the thicker material is more compressed than the thinner material.

Are you talking about the strap material? If so the than is not exactly true. The only way it would be is if you are using a strap that is thicker than your lug width. And if you are then you it would better to get the correct strap.
Old 4 April 2019, 09:01 AM   #17
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabaiguan View Post
The curved bars do in fact make the NATO easier to install AND eliminates the "bending" stress that a straight bar would take. There is less outward pressure on a curved bar than a straight bar, especially when the spring bar is really close to the case.
The nato is easier to install because of more room between the case and spring bar.

The only down fall to a curved spring bar is the tips are curved also. So they do do not fit directly into a lug hole like a regular spring bar.

If bending stress was an issue with spring bars I would think everyone would be using them. If not then maybe you are on to something. I have not seen an issue requiring them except for allowing more clearance.
Old 4 April 2019, 12:04 PM   #18
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The nato is easier to install because of more room between the case and spring bar.

The only down fall to a curved spring bar is the tips are curved also. So they do do not fit directly into a lug hole like a regular spring bar.

If bending stress was an issue with spring bars I would think everyone would be using them. If not then maybe you are on to something. I have not seen an issue requiring them except for allowing more clearance.

Yup. A perfect example is fitting a leather NATO on my Mark XVIII. I can take the bars off, put the strap in place and replace the bars but you can clearly see the straight bars bulging out because of the thick strap to the point where I would not feel comfortable wearing for fear of failure. Definitely doesn’t happen w thinner material or where there’s sufficient clearance btw bar and case. However on certain watches w thick straps, it’s an issue.

Old 5 April 2019, 11:38 AM   #19
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

curved

straight
Old 6 April 2019, 02:05 AM   #20
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Definitely not being stressed on that watch. But trust me, it happens when the clearance is minimal btw case and bar. I'll try to take a pick of my Horween on the IWC.
Old 6 April 2019, 03:00 PM   #21
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabaiguan View Post
Definitely not being stressed on that watch. But trust me, it happens when the clearance is minimal btw case and bar. I'll try to take a pick of my Horween on the IWC.
Any strap that is forced into a tight clearance will put extra stress on the spring bar. That is for a fact.

If there is enough room for a straight spring bar then a curved one is not warranted. It does not provide anything else expect for clearance. It does not distribute the pressure any differently than a straight spring bar. Unless like I mentioned the strap is being pinched/crowded.