The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 24 December 2023, 07:09 AM   #1
fozzyf18
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTII,TT & SS Sub
Great AD experience in North Shore Boston

I have not visited an AD in 6 years. Quite frankly, a lot of reports that I have read about awful AD interactions on this forum in the last few years definitely negatively influenced me and kept me away. That and a few bad personal experiences in SOCAL a few years ago conditioned me to understand the reticence.

I'm in Boston for the holidays. On our way to lunch, I knew we were passing a Rolex AD and I decided that I wanted to stop in...yep, the day before Christmas Eve expecting the worst. I pre-briefed my wife walking in and told her that this visit would likely be short and disappointing. We were likely to be ignored. We persevered none-the-less.

I am pleased to state that our experience was exactly the opposite. As soon as we walked in, Devin at Long's in Peabody walked right up to us and couldn't have been nicer. The majority of their display stock was exhibition only as is now the norm unfortunately but as to be expected. That said, Devin did not hesitate to allow me to try on a DSSD JC in the display case that I always admired but thought was too big for me based on dimensions and pictures that I have seen on this forum. After trying it on, it is now on my wish list.

My wife spotted a DJ with a dial that had blue lillys and diamonds in a vertical display case that Devin was more than happy to open and let my wife try on. Turns out it is white gold which I found out after reading about it in the Rolex hard-covered catalog that I was given gratis on the way out. Beautiful piece.

I'm not posting this to incite our forum members who have had poor AD experiences. I was around many years back when you could walk into an AD and buy any reference. That was then, this is now (S.E Hinton). I'm just reporting back that I had a great experience at an AD that was quite enjoyable. I do wish the JC was available for sale because I would have pulled that trigger then and there. Happy Holidays!
Old 24 December 2023, 09:29 AM   #2
PhilAviate
"TRF" Member

I struggle to see how going into a store, hoping to buy something, and leaving with nothing because the dealer is keeping stock in the back for either high rollers or to sell out the back door to grey dealers is a good experience.
Especially as 6 years ago you should have been able to buy anything and everything with a discount on most pieces.

The fact that we accept this from dealers is the reason this nonsense continues.
There is no shortage, the grey market proves that, there is artificial constraints on supply, and an illusion that not being abused by a sales person is somehow a good experience.
Old 24 December 2023, 09:39 AM   #3
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilAviate View Post
I struggle to see how going into a store, hoping to buy something, and leaving with nothing because the dealer is keeping stock in the back for either high rollers or to sell out the back door to grey dealers is a good experience.
Especially as 6 years ago you should have been able to buy anything and everything with a discount on most pieces.

The fact that we accept this from dealers is the reason this nonsense continues.
There is no shortage, the grey market proves that, there is artificial constraints on supply, and an illusion that not being abused by a sales person is somehow a good experience.
Sadly, with Rolex ADs now, if you're not treated unprofessionally it's considered a 'win' and something noteworthy.
Old 24 December 2023, 09:54 AM   #4
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:

To add, look at the for sale section, flippers posting BNIB listing. That is the problem. Before the crazy hype, they used to offer better discounts than the AD, now it is reversed. These same flippers are artificially creating demand and raising the watch price in the used/second market.
Old 24 December 2023, 10:27 AM   #5
skipstar
"TRF" Member

Watch: My first, Sub Date
Being from Boston and having great luck and experiences I am glad that you had a great experience. Longs is great and I bet she will come through for you.
Old 24 December 2023, 10:56 AM   #6
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
glad you had some good experiences
Old 24 December 2023, 11:18 AM   #7
GotRolex
"TRF" Member

I thought he picked up a watch from walk-in. Expectation is getting lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24 December 2023, 11:28 AM   #8
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotRolex View Post

My thoughts exactly when I read the title.
Old 24 December 2023, 11:40 AM   #9
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:

I would agree with this. In fact every single AD I have gone into the past few years (Florida to Rhode Island to Colorado, etc) I have always been treated very kindly and offered the free toilet catalogs. I don’t really see this as a win. We all know they have watches in the back….we have all seen behind the curtain. If they valued you, they would have offered you a watch.
Not knocking the OP experience, but it shouldn’t be applauded
Old 24 December 2023, 12:09 PM   #10
PhilAviate
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post
Sadly, with Rolex ADs now, if you're not treated unprofessionally it's considered a 'win' and something noteworthy.
Yes, and it's pathetic.
I have been buying at AD since the late 90s when I was literally a kid. It used to be the norm that you were wooed with drinks/snacks before the purchase, because you could walk to the next store and buy what you wanted.

There are still some good dealers around, but even they are forced to play the rarity game to a certain extent.

The problem is the bad dealers outweigh them 100-1. Hence why grey dealers have thousands of brand new this month watches for sale, often in bulk, that are slipping out the back doors.

The good thing is, the jig is up, they are trying to ride out the hype a little longer but I bet my middle child that we will be back to normal soon.
Old 24 December 2023, 12:22 PM   #11
Barada7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I empathize. Not a day goes by I don’t think I might be done with Rolex, maybe watches in general. A little waiting is ok, but the interminable wait for a mass produced hunk of $5 steel makes me question my sanity.
Old 24 December 2023, 02:31 PM   #12
MonsterSS
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126613LB
Always glad to hear if these good experiences.

Old 24 December 2023, 03:17 PM   #13
Mr. Superlative
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Glad you had a positive experience. However, as others have said, the definition of “positive” is very different for lots of us.
Old 24 December 2023, 03:45 PM   #14
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
On Friday, my wife and I went to a local AD for our son's Christmas present and, after browsing the inventory, we both liked LEGO set 71411, The Mighty Bowser.

The only problem was the display box was empty, so it was an exhibition piece. An SA walked over and asked if we needed assistance. We politely asked if we could purchase their exhibition piece or if their waiting list was open. The SA was very friendly and said she would see what she could do.

I guess she either really liked us or was given permission by the manager to allocate the piece because she returned from the back with the full set for the exhibition piece, papers and all, and we pulled the trigger right then and there.

I wouldn't be writing about this AD if it wasn't a great experience. A big shout out to Toys R Us in Etobicoke, Ontario!

OP, I hope you realize your positive experience was as silly as my post but at least my kid is getting what he wanted this Christmas.
Old 24 December 2023, 05:35 PM   #15
GotRolex
"TRF" Member

I am not surprised that someone will post a great AD experience that they replied to their text/email but no watch.

Old 24 December 2023, 06:21 PM   #16
Halifax Daytona UK
"TRF" Member

Glad you had a good experience trying on watches.
Old 24 December 2023, 07:23 PM   #17
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotRolex View Post

I was hoping for at least a Rolex catalogue.
Old 24 December 2023, 07:42 PM   #18
PenDelicate
"TRF" Member

Watch: Just a Daytona
I've always only had good experiences with my local two ADs.

Great that you had a nice visit!
Old 24 December 2023, 10:30 PM   #19
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Good to see the OP felt the staff in store actually treated him with some deal of respect instead of some of the stories you hear. I’m hoping down the line it translates into something that will get allocated for them.
Old 24 December 2023, 11:22 PM   #20
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Good to hear. Far too many SAs have forgotten what good customer service is.
Old 25 December 2023, 12:43 AM   #21
1William
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Good story and thanks for sharing.
Old 25 December 2023, 01:06 AM   #22
Pjs9841
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
Good to hear. Far too many SAs have forgotten what good customer service is.
Agreed!
Old 25 December 2023, 01:16 AM   #23
Wrathchild
Banned

Sounds like a good experience. Far better than some
ADs out there who wouldn’t even talk to you.
You left happy, good feeling afterwards. Counts as a plus
Old 25 December 2023, 01:19 AM   #24
StylinProfilin
2024 Pledge Member

Can't say the same for many NYC SAs
Old 25 December 2023, 01:28 AM   #25
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Recently walked into my AD, he gave me a cup of coffee and a biscotti….what a great day I will remember forever.
Old 25 December 2023, 01:48 AM   #26
SubDate
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
I sure hope the Admins archive the threads between 2021- ???. Hopefully in the coming years things will be fully back to normal. But we are going to feel so silly looking back at the posts and seeing things like “I went to my AD today and had a really nice chat. They didn’t have anything for sale (obviously) but I had such an amazing time having them artificially inflate my hopes. I love Rolex!”
Old 25 December 2023, 02:16 AM   #27
PhilAviate
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubDate View Post
I sure hope the Admins archive the threads between 2021- ???. Hopefully in the coming years things will be fully back to normal. But we are going to feel so silly looking back at the posts and seeing things like “I went to my AD today and had a really nice chat. They didn’t have anything for sale (obviously) but I had such an amazing time having them artificially inflate my hopes. I love Rolex!”
The worst part is that many people, even ones who were buying long before this madness, appear to be suffering extreme cognitive dissonance and will argue that this has pretty much always been the way.
Even if they do acknowledge it isn't always the way, they'll then try and argue that it was for certain models. They also refuse to accept that this is an unusual situation that will not last forever.
Some seem vested in the insanity being forever now.

Which makes me laugh when on any website, even local craigslist type markets, you can get any watch you want with a new warranty card.

They aren't rare, but the manipulation of the market is making them appear so.
Old 25 December 2023, 02:30 AM   #28
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Preach!
Old 25 December 2023, 03:37 AM   #29
GotRolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
Recently walked into my AD, he gave me a cup of coffee and a biscotti….what a great day I will remember forever.

lol. Life-changing experience.

Old 25 December 2023, 05:26 AM   #30
fooey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few now!
And I bet most of them read these posts as well!

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Closed Thread