The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 7 December 2021, 03:46 PM   #1
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
5711 Hype and valuations aside just based on the merits of the collaboration…

What do we think of the Tiffany blue 5711.

Is it possible to have A discussion of horology Excluding the speculation of value and hype, only considering the collaboration of two brands that have a long standing history together.

I understand the dial may be controversial to many. Having gone through a love hate emotion long ago when I was an avid cyclist and came across the similar bianchi “Celeste” color. I originally disliked the color very much but since have grown a great appreciation for a simple and original color that evokes a quality brand. I have owned two bianchi bicycles and would be disappointed to buy another if it wasn’t Celeste.

My feelings are the 5711 in Tiffany blue with the black accents looks amazing. I would love to own one. I am a fan of the Matte finish as it is in contrast to plethora of sunburst dials much like the appreciation I have for the matte colors of the G-wagon.

It’s a watch with great history celebrating something bigger than itself.

I look forward to your insights and opinions unrelated to hype and values.

My humble 2 cents.
Old 7 December 2021, 04:03 PM   #2
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
I will reserve judgment until we see live pics, but at first glance, the dial color seems too harsh to my eyes and the contrast with the black is too stark. The black contrast looks better on the white dial, IMO.

I’m also not a fan of the printed collaboration on the back of the watch. It looks cheap to me. Nothing wrong with Grand Seiko (I’m a fan of many of their watches), but the printed text on the back of the 5711 looks a little too Grand Seiko-ish. And sneaking in the LVMH is tacky and poor form.

Based on stock images so far, I actually prefer the look of the turquoise dial Rolex OP.
Old 7 December 2021, 05:42 PM   #3
AG23
"TRF" Member

There is a couple of decent pics on Bloomberg of it and I think it looks pretty good.

Most of the press pics have it a nasty electric sort of colour, but it looks much more baby blue in the Bloomberg article.

Here’s a link to said article- https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-nautilus-5711

but easy enough to find if you don’t want to click a random link.

I cycle a fair bit and still cannot stand that damn Bianchi celeste!

And a good riding buddy bought one recently…. pains me every time…

Last edited by AG23; 7 December 2021 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: Too many words
AG23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 06:09 PM   #4
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
I will reserve judgment until we see live pics, but at first glance, the dial color seems too harsh to my eyes and the contrast with the black is too stark. The black contrast looks better on the white dial, IMO.

I’m also not a fan of the printed collaboration on the back of the watch. It looks cheap to me. Nothing wrong with Grand Seiko (I’m a fan of many of their watches), but the printed text on the back of the 5711 looks a little too Grand Seiko-ish. And sneaking in the LVMH is tacky and poor form.

Based on stock images so far, I actually prefer the look of the turquoise dial Rolex OP.
I expect in person the black is a bit of a soft black, my white dial version has the black hands and markers. On some angles it has a metallic quality for lack of a better description

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG23 View Post
There is a couple of decent pics on Bloomberg of it and I think it looks pretty good.

Most of the press pics have it a nasty electric sort of colour, but it looks much more baby blue in the Bloomberg article.

Here’s a link to said article- https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-nautilus-5711

but easy enough to find if you don’t want to click a random link.

I cycle a fair bit and still cannot stand that damn Bianchi celeste!

And a good riding buddy bought one recently…. pains me every time…
The color snuck up on me
Old 7 December 2021, 06:18 PM   #5
Neom
Banned

First, you need to like the 5711 as a design - I don't. I do find it outdated compared to the Royal Oak for instance - that's my humble opinion.

Second, I find this nuance of blue very feminine, whether it's on a Rolex or a Patek, or even an AP RO Offshore. I understand unisex has become quite fashionable but I still believe such colors look best on a female's wrist.

The black accents on the blue do contrast well.

I would have expected a PM Nautilus for this celebration, especially that a green SS was released not long ago.

The writings on the back, I don't find attractive at all. I think they could have found better ways to celebrate this partnership milestone.
Neom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 06:37 PM   #6
ts3
"TRF" Member

I like it and a lot more than 5711 green which does little for me. I also like the black markers and hands. White gold would look very subdued vs the in-your-face dial color.

The printed crystal back looks cheap and awful though. One would wish for it to be just a sticker that can be removed. An engraved solid case back would have been the way to go if they had to have some writing in the back.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 10:26 PM   #7
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Kid Stern is trolling. The joke is on.....

Can someone pretty please remind me of the qualification of Kid Stern to take over the company when he did? It's been downhill for quite some time.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 11:34 PM   #8
GB-man
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Like all 5711 it’s a sharp watch for 30k it’s not even remotely something I’d entertain at secondary even if I had 100 Ms.

It’s just so basic you could buy a Journe astronomic for what these will sell at.

I also feel like it’s unwearable. In any major city I’d be concerned someone would kill me for it. Seriously.
Old 8 December 2021, 12:30 AM   #9
Rushne

Watch: White 116500LN
Good topic, nice to have a discussion about the actual watch config.

I agree totally on the colour actually. i used to really not enjoy it but have grown to like it.

Given purchase at retail price (I would not touch the secondary price even with 100 million in the bank)

So with no 5711 in the collection, given the choice between a Blue, Green or Tiffany blue dial, I would take Blue every day.
However, if I already had a 5711, then for sure I would really like the Tiffany as my summer time 5711. White linen shirt, comfy pair of shorts and a Tiffany blue dial on one wrist and a chilled cocktail in the other hand. Perfect.

Tiffany blue in the winter time? for me.... not so much. Still lovely, but wouldn't feel on point :D

So that's the dial side done.
Case back. I would honestly ask if I could get a spare clear case back (save the original in a bag) as I absolutely HATE text on a clear case back.
LVMH in the 1 of 2021 can also go.

Does anyone else have the conspiracy theory that LVMH appearing on a Patek is a sign of things to come? Patek sale to LVMH? God I hope not.

Omega: Seamaster Professional 300M 2220.80.00
Rolex: Daytona White Dial 116500LN
Rolex: Sky-Dweller Blue Dial Jubilee 336934
Rolex: DateJust 36 Roman White Dial Oyster 126234
Rolex: OP 36 Celebration Dial 126000
Panerai: PAM 422
Patek Philippe: Aquanaut 5167A
A. Lange & Söhne: 1815 Annual Calendar

@mechanicaltom Stolen: IWC Portuguese 500107 Case number 3853222
Rushne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 01:11 AM   #10
Uros
"TRF" Member

Its ok if you want to spend 20, 30k on summer watch, but milking this craziness with new dial colour and paying for it (7 figure?!) price is really not worth commenting.

Was on some event last weekend and 5 out of 7 guys on the table wore different Nautiluses…

And always thinking full celeste Bianchi is not for serious riders:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Uros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 01:19 AM   #11
subtona
"TRF" Member

Many comments regarding its real cost on the secondary market.
Can we hold Patek accountable for that?
They make as many 5711 as they ever did, as far as discontinuing… to the best of my knowledge that’s what Patek has always done. It will eventually be replaced with updated model.

Reminds of an interview with pappy Van winkles owner… “don’t blame me for the shortage, you told everyone”

Since we always need pics, Attached a live wrist shot from Instagram and another at a traffic light.

I agree with comments regarding print on Saphire glass. Would have preferred an inscription on the metal frame similar to the marking s on the rolex sea dweller.

Tom, as far as the astronomic, I look at the 5711 as the perfect daily wear. Price aside, It’s a submariner with a bit more refinement, it’s thin and elegant and sporty. Having owned two Fp Journe, I didn’t find them practical as a daily wear (even though the resonance was and will likely always be the pinnacle of my watch collecting experience… it didn’t keep time.) I would expect the astronomic would not be an ideal daily. But if we are dreaming my choice would be the personally inscribed grand petit sonnerie:)

I know many of us have collections of watches but do you consider yourselves watch collectors?
My baseball card collection never saw the light of day (I collected them)
I am no watch collector, every thing gets worn and will show the signs in time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D0F778F0-F0E8-427C-8F59-1748D18BE132.jpeg (112.5 KB, 555 views)
File Type: jpeg F6E87B33-49B3-48FF-8FB3-5718120E2897.jpeg (119.8 KB, 554 views)
Old 8 December 2021, 01:39 AM   #12
Vipes
"TRF" Member

I am not a fan of the dial color. I prefer the 5711 in blue and green; sunburst can be dark and subtle which I like. The Tiffany version has a shade of blue that is too bright for my liking. I like the Rolex’s OP version better.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 01:47 AM   #13
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
I love the Tiffany 5711 just a damn shame I can't have one in my collection to join my white 5711 and 5167a.
np2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 01:58 AM   #14
subtona
"TRF" Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9A7DAA2D-F862-4249-BB2D-68AFC6321E2A.jpeg (91.8 KB, 527 views)
Old 8 December 2021, 02:03 AM   #15
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
In my opinion, this is the best looking 5711, and fitting for a swansong although it is only meant for Tiffany's clients.

I like the pastel blue dial on a white metal, with grey outlines on the indices, hands and the date aperture surrounding the white core. The whole aesthetics is congruently beautiful and elegant. It's a "sweet" take to an otherwise familiar 5711 look (I do find the green and blue dials too similar).

I read mostly negative comments with regards to the case back. I'm indifferent to it because this is a special edition after all, and common for Patek to print the anniversary behind. Well, at least it is not on the dial.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 02:27 AM   #16
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

I'm sorry but this watch can only be looked at in terms of hype and value, that's it's DNA. Otherwise it's just a 5711 with a light blue dial, there's no horology involved beyond any other 5711/1a.
Patek intentionally created a Hype creature with the branded dial color and signed dial. The garbage on the reverse sapphire crystal is some fawning transmission from one billionaire to another, much wealthier, billionaire, which in no way improves the watch.
Why pick the 5711 and Tiffany for this project? Isn't there enough of a premium for the run of the mill Tiffany signed Patek stainless watch? This is obviously an experiment meant to attain critical mass beyond anything seen before. Hype cubed, market value 30 times MSRP, unveiled on CNBC.
Viewed in a vacuum it's nothing beyond the ordinary, it only exists as Hype and Valuation.

Last edited by cascavel; 8 December 2021 at 02:30 AM.. Reason: Spelling, naturally
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 02:46 AM   #17
GB-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post

Tom, as far as the astronomic, I look at the 5711 as the perfect daily wear. Price aside, It’s a submariner with a bit more refinement, it’s thin and elegant and sporty. Having owned two Fp Journe, I didn’t find them practical as a daily wear (even though the resonance was and will likely always be the pinnacle of my watch collecting experience… it didn’t keep time.) I would expect the astronomic would not be an ideal daily. But if we are dreaming my choice would be the personally inscribed grand petit sonnerie:)

I know many of us have collections of watches but do you consider yourselves watch collectors?

I know what you’re saying about the 5711 being a great daily and I use to agree. There was a time when they were a discrete alternative to rolex at a premium price with a premium finish.

Now I actually would feel more comfortable in a Rolex because of the value difference being so tremendous and the visibility of a 5711 is at or near Daytona levels.

This is a piece destined for safes and auctions not daily wear, which is what 5711 should be in the Patek lineup.

Also this may just be the most overpriced modern watch of all time. I can’t think of anything that delivers less for the money in terms of what the market will command.

This is Thierry Stern stroking Bernard Arnault and his son alexandre who’s at Tiffany now. Makes perfect sense in case he wants to cash out some day.

If someone offered me say 5:1 I’d bet Patek is sold to LVMH in the next 24 months. Maybe I would lose that bet but I like the odds.
Old 8 December 2021, 02:58 AM   #18
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

Personally, I like it. I'm not a Tiffany client so won't have a chance to get one, but certainly would if change did become available.

One thing I do struggle with is the price premium. $52k is a lot of money compared regular version at $34k - what is the ~$18k premium for? Now I know the watch will sell for many x it's retail price so it really doesn't matter, but I think $38k or $40k would have been a more appropriate price given the watch.
pav333hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 03:53 AM   #19
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pav333hp View Post
Personally, I like it. I'm not a Tiffany client so won't have a chance to get one, but certainly would if change did become available.

One thing I do struggle with is the price premium. $52k is a lot of money compared regular version at $34k - what is the ~$18k premium for? Now I know the watch will sell for many x it's retail price so it really doesn't matter, but I think $38k or $40k would have been a more appropriate price given the watch.
you are correct but they could have priced it at 250k and people would have bought it. let's not act like this is all science and everything has to make sense.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 04:14 AM   #20
ap1

I like it. It’s quite striking. I’d probably pick the green btw the two tbh. The back is horrible. I don’t like it on GS either. Panerai ruined a platinum luminor too with a ridiculous stamp.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 04:15 AM   #21
martinr
"TRF" Member

I had the 5711 blue dial and the AP 15202ST blue dial at the same time and always felt the AP had a much more masculine look. This new 5711 Tiffany with the turquoise dial looks like a ladies watch.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 04:24 AM   #22
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I know what you’re saying about the 5711 being a great daily and I use to agree. There was a time when they were a discrete alternative to rolex at a premium price with a premium finish.

Now I actually would feel more comfortable in a Rolex because of the value difference being so tremendous and the visibility of a 5711 is at or near Daytona levels.

This is a piece destined for safes and auctions not daily wear, which is what 5711 should be in the Patek lineup.

Also this may just be the most overpriced modern watch of all time. I can’t think of anything that delivers less for the money in terms of what the market will command.

This is Thierry Stern stroking Bernard Arnault and his son alexandre who’s at Tiffany now. Makes perfect sense in case he wants to cash out some day.

If someone offered me say 5:1 I’d bet Patek is sold to LVMH in the next 24 months. Maybe I would lose that bet but I like the odds.
I agree it is unfortunate that theft and desirability has become such an issue. That condition falls squarely on social media, pop culture, the web and the availability of dollar values.
the ease of finding a secondary community to resell encourages quick turnaround.
Old 8 December 2021, 04:36 AM   #23
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ocean 2000
It looks tacky to me, especially the print on the case back. Patek used to stand for class and tradition, but this release screams Instagram hype.
Old 8 December 2021, 04:38 AM   #24
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkholeninja View Post
It looks tacky to me, especially the print on the case back. Patek used to stand for class and tradition, but this release screams Instagram hype.
When the de facto leader of Tiffany is a 30 y/o.....what kind of product direction do you expect?
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 09:36 AM   #25
ts3
"TRF" Member

Old 8 December 2021, 09:38 AM   #26
ts3
"TRF" Member

Claiming that this 5711 is the last steel Nautilus ever produced is a bold statement from Alexandre Arnault.

I get that it will be the last steel 5711 but the last steel Nautilus? How would he know what ideas may cross TS's mind at some future point in time unless, of course, the Arnault's rather than the Stern's will call the shots at Patek soon.
Old 8 December 2021, 09:42 AM   #27
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

looks a little too childish/playful to me for a brand like patek. this could change if i ever see one in person which most likely won't happen lol
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 09:48 AM   #28
GB-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Claiming that this 5711 is the last steel Nautilus ever produced is a bold statement from Alexandre Arnault.

I get that it will be the last steel 5711 but the last steel Nautilus? How would he know what ideas may cross TS's mind at some future point in time unless, of course, the Arnault's rather than the Stern's will call the shots at Patek soon.

Good point. I’m guessing he’s just with words.

It makes zero sense to stop making steel nautilus. They can just raise prices if they wish and continue using the less expensive raw material.

Steel is desirable and everyone knows it. Reducing your offerings to PM only is a good way to end up like Lange.
Old 8 December 2021, 09:55 AM   #29
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Good point. I’m guessing he’s just with words.

It makes zero sense to stop making steel nautilus. They can just raise prices if they wish and continue using the less expensive raw material.

Steel is desirable and everyone knows it. Reducing your offerings to PM only is a good way to end up like Lange.
Well we'll see, but look at the current line-up in steel =

5711 is gone - official

5172/1A - I'd bet quite a bit of money this one gets discontinued early next year

5990/1A - I think will go as well as it was just replaced by the rose gold version

Then it only leaves the pair of steel 5726.

It doesn't take much to let go all the steel nautilus models.

Look at the aquanaut, even there all the new releases are precious metals.
AperolSpritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 10:42 AM   #30
GB-man

5711 Hype and valuations aside just based on the merits of the collaboration…

Quote:
Originally Posted by AperolSpritz View Post
Well we'll see, but look at the current line-up in steel =

5711 is gone - official

5172/1A - I'd bet quite a bit of money this one gets discontinued early next year

5990/1A - I think will go as well as it was just replaced by the rose gold version

Then it only leaves the pair of steel 5726.

It doesn't take much to let go all the steel nautilus models.

Look at the aquanaut, even there all the new releases are precious metals.

I disagree completely but that’s the fun of this all.

I foresee a 6711/1A and plenty of more steel variants across nautilus, aquanaut and sparingly calatrava.

You don’t shoot the horse you rode in on.