The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 22 January 2012, 12:47 PM   #1
dhalem

My experience with Parcel Pro

On 11/13/2011, I posted a IWC Big Pilot for sale on the TZ Showcase
On 11/14/2011, I made a deal with a well known member whom I've dealt with before
On 11/15/2011, I dropped the package at a UPS store and got a drop off receipt and scan. It was insured with Parcel Pro.

The package didn't move after that and did not arrive as planned on 11/16/2011.

I contacted Parcel Pro immediately and began the claim process. After providing them with all of the information they asked for very quickly, the process has dragged on two months.

On 1/20/2012 I heard my claim was denied with no explanation give.

Suffice to say, I am quite upset. I hope if anyone uses Parcel Pro in the future, they have a better experience than I did.
dhalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2012, 04:23 PM   #2
MoBe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhalem View Post
On 11/13/2011, I posted a IWC Big Pilot for sale on the TZ Showcase
On 11/14/2011, I made a deal with a well known member whom I've dealt with before
On 11/15/2011, I dropped the package at a UPS store and got a drop off receipt and scan. It was insured with Parcel Pro.

The package didn't move after that and did not arrive as planned on 11/16/2011.

I contacted Parcel Pro immediately and began the claim process. After providing them with all of the information they asked for very quickly, the process has dragged on two months.

On 1/20/2012 I heard my claim was denied with no explanation give.

Suffice to say, I am quite upset. I hope if anyone uses Parcel Pro in the future, they have a better experience than I did.
I`d say it`s time to get your lawyer to write them letter.

There`s nothing like a little bit of legal laxative to get them moving.
MoBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2012, 10:09 PM   #3
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Why did they deny claim or what reason did they provide you?

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2012, 10:26 PM   #4
RolexSA

You have to be careful what you ship . I mean FEDEX , UPS , DHL will not transport certain objects and "sensitive material" . We sometimes have to use these carriers to get objects to destination that we can't carry when flying commercial airlines .Jewelry and watches are on that list too I guess .
I know from experience that they are as hypocritical to accept the job and the insurance money knowing what it contains , only when something goes wrong or they lose it to tell you that you couldn't ship or they can't accept the insurance claim for that reason . Then they refer you to the 8 page small print on their websites .
RolexSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2012, 10:43 PM   #5
train-time
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: M79360B-0002
I suspect the reason the claim was denied was the fact that the USP Store was involved in the transaction. With Parcelpro they are very specific where and to whom the package is delivered for shipment.

When using Fedex you can schedule a pick up or drop the package off at a Fedex Office location, which is a Fedex owned facility.

Using UPS a pick up can be scheduled for a UPS driver to pick up and sign for the package or you can drop it off at a UPS local facility or terminal as well, but not at a UPS Store. UPS stores are independant franchises and Parcelpro will not take responsibility for the package unless it is accepted by a UPS employee or UPS owned facility.

Parcelpro is very specific in their instructions where you can drop the package off and what procedure must be followed and the UPS Store is not an authorized option for drop off.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2012, 11:12 PM   #6
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Arthur View Post
I suspect the reason the claim was denied was the fact that the USP Store was involved in the transaction. With Parcelpro they are very specific where and to whom the package is delivered for shipment.

When using Fedex you can schedule a pick up or drop the package off at a Fedex Office location, which is a Fedex owned facility.

Using UPS a pick up can be scheduled for a UPS driver to pick up and sign for the package or you can drop it off at a UPS local facility or terminal as well, but not at a UPS Store. UPS stores are independant franchises and Parcelpro will not take responsibility for the package unless it is accepted by a UPS employee or UPS owned facility.

Parcelpro is very specific in their instructions where you can drop the package off and what procedure must be followed and the UPS Store is not an authorized option for drop off.
That is exactly what I was thinking. In fact I know from past I was not allowed to use UPS Store with ParcelPro.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 22 January 2012, 11:20 PM   #7
drtooth73
Banned

Watch: TT GMT IIC
The UPS store receipt has small print to that effect as well
drtooth73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2012, 01:39 AM   #8
Watchcollectables
"TRF" Member

Thats interesting. I use ParcelPro myself on the odd occasion and It does concern me that after following their strict guidelines for packaging and item descriptions they will try to avoid a claim payment.
The service is only as good as the speed in which they pay claims at the end of the day.
Watchcollectables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2012, 02:13 AM   #9
dhalem

Parcel Pro's guidelines say:
All packages must be picked up at a shippers location, handed to a carrier staff driver or taken to a carrier staffed location. Do not use unmanned drop boxes.

If I walk into a facility labeled 'UPS Store', it seems reasonable to assume it is a carrier staffed location. It has their logo on the front, the staff are wearing shirts with a UPS logo on it.
Old 23 January 2012, 02:16 AM   #10
Kanger
Banned

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhalem View Post
Parcel Pro's guidelines say:
All packages must be picked up at a shippers location, handed to a carrier staff driver or taken to a carrier staffed location. Do not use unmanned drop boxes.

If I walk into a facility labeled 'UPS Store', it seems reasonable to assume it is a carrier staffed location. It has their logo on the front, the staff are wearing shirts with a UPS logo on it.
I agree with that. Seems pretty disingenuous to say you can't go to a UPS store on Parcelpro's part. I hope you get some kind of compensation, hopefully in the form of the package turning up as things like that do happen.
Kanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2012, 02:30 AM   #11
Route 66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 Mark II
I believe that UPS stores are franchises and are not actually staffed by UPS employees.
Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2012, 02:33 AM   #12
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post
Why did they deny claim or what reason did they provide you?
I'd like to know this as well.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2012, 02:46 AM   #13
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
I'd like to know this as well.
Took me a few to figure out why but I know from past experience when shipping I can't use UPS store as they aren't owned or operated by UPS employees so end up having to drive to UPS location. To the OP- sorry and truly hope they find your package!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 23 January 2012, 04:06 AM   #14
dhalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post
Took me a few to figure out why but I know from past experience when shipping I can't use UPS store as they aren't owned or operated by UPS employees so end up having to drive to UPS location. To the OP- sorry and truly hope they find your package!

I don't know the legalities of it, but it seems to me that if there is a big UPS logo on the front, the store is named 'UPS Store', and the employees where UPS logo clothing, that it is a reasonable expectation that the facility is a UPS facility. The UPS website lists the location as a UPS branch. It seems deceptive.
Old 23 January 2012, 04:07 AM   #15
MoBe
"TRF" Member

All the more reason to talk to a lawyer !
MoBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2012, 06:43 AM   #16
HL65

Talking to a lawyer is nothing more than wasting your money.  Do you seriously think that UPS would leave themselves unprotected? Not a chance. Again UPS stores are independently owned and run franchises. As for wearing UPS uniforms - none of the employees wear uniforms at UPS stores here. Again- I hope your package turns up for you and sorry for your loss for now. Yu never know it could turn up any day!! Best of luck...

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 23 January 2012, 01:25 PM   #17
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
I had a watch lost (misplaced stolen etc) en route to Malaysia a while back and Parcel Pro found it and returned it to me within a 4-5 days. They stayed on top of fed ex and it was found by Fed Ex.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2012, 03:46 PM   #18
seattleal
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Gilt Sub
When you go to Subway to get a sandwich it is likely a franchised store, even though the employees wear clothes with the Subway logo. UPS stores are also franchises, not UPS owned. As others have said, Parcel Pro is very clear in their instructions that you must present the shipment to a UPS or FedEx facility, or arrange for pickup.

That said, I do hope you get your watch back.
seattleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2012, 04:07 PM   #19
GradyPhilpott

Watch: Tudor BB36
I had a problem with a UPS delivery recently and called one of the UPS stores by mistake and the employee said she knew nothing about UPS policies and told me to call the UPS toll-free number.

All they do is hold the packages for pickup and maybe do packaging as well, but they're not UPS.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2012, 04:22 PM   #20
Wolfgang427

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
Once again, an insurance company(Parcelpro) looking at any loop-hole they can find to deny a claim, and then not even giving you the reason why. Sorry to say I've seen this from insurance companies more times then I care for. Good luck on finding the watch.
TRF member #917
Wolfgang427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2012, 01:45 AM   #21
alexthegreat123

Watch: GMT 16710 w/ 3186
What about FedEx Kinko's ? Does it fall under "unauthorized" category as well?
Old 26 January 2012, 12:06 AM   #22
train-time

Watch: M79360B-0002
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthegreat123 View Post
What about FedEx Kinko's ? Does it fall under "unauthorized" category as well?
Alex, Kinko's was acquired by Fedex a few years ago and they are changing them over to Fedex Office Locations, but owned by Fedex and staffed by Fedex personnel.

UPS bought the Mailbox Etc franchise in the late '90's and gave the existing owners the opportunity to become UPS Store franchisees. New UPS Stores are opened as independent franchises and not run by or staffed by UPS employees.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2012, 02:01 AM   #23
alexthegreat123

Thanks for you response. I also checked with my parcel pro rep and she confirmed that Kinko's is authorized by parcel pro to drop off the packages.
Old 27 January 2012, 03:37 AM   #24
gt0279a
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Just shipped with parcel pro the other day and it had this warning on their site:

"Due to security concerns, please refrain from using the FedEx Kinko’s location at 1211 Ave. of Americas, N.Y. NY 10036"
gt0279a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2012, 06:13 AM   #25
alexthegreat123

I saw the same. Avoid just this location