The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 July 2024, 12:18 PM   #1
sjhoppes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 126610LN
Accidentally Left Crown Unscrewed

Hey All,

Hoping you can ease my concerns. I set my Rolex sub date 2023 model today since there’s only 30 days in June and forget to screw down the crown (that’s what I get for doing it at work). I washed my hands all day and was spraying my son down in the shower (only splash water) for a bit before I realized. Am I good or should I be concerned? Watch is only 8 months or so old. Note crown was either in date position or pushed all the way down. I freaked out so I didn’t pay attention when I realized.

Last edited by sjhoppes; 2 July 2024 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: Added sentence.
sjhoppes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2024, 12:27 PM   #2
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

After searching ”forgot to screw Submariner crown in”

Google yielded several results and the most popular was ‘triplock Crown has a gasket on the outside, which will prevent water from entering”, at least splashing water, maybe not submerged.

As an aside, I feel like setting the time is not complete until the crown is re-screwed.
It’s an incomplete operation until that process has been accomplished.

I think it’s fine.
Gearjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2024, 12:34 PM   #3
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

You are fine. As mentioned you have a trip lock crown and its highly unlikely you have an issue on such a new watch.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2024, 12:38 PM   #4
sjhoppes
"TRF" Member

When I googled it there were so many trolls out there I couldn’t tell what response was thoughtful or just trash. I saw people saying even the double lock is good open since all the seals are inside. I can’t believe I did it. Someone came in my office as I was setting it and threw me off. So mad at myself.
Old 2 July 2024, 12:43 PM   #5
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Two of you Googled it? Really?

Well I guess there was no point in looking at the many discussions here about the Triplok crown and the gaskets that would let you dive into the deep end of any swimming pool a few hundred times...

Your Sub Date is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2024, 12:46 PM   #6
sjhoppes
"TRF" Member

Was in complete freak out mode to be honest and went into a panic. Amazing how my brain went instantly to google lol.
Old 2 July 2024, 12:51 PM   #7
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Two of you Googled it? Really?

Well I guess there was no point in looking at the many discussions here about the Triplok crown and the gaskets that would let you dive into the deep end of any swimming pool a few hundred times...

Your Sub Date is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
In my experience, Google (or whatever) most often returns TRF discussions anyway and is much less cumbersome to use than TRF search feature.
Gearjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2024, 01:01 PM   #8
sjhoppes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearjockey View Post
In my experience, Google (or whatever) most often returns TRF discussions anyway and is much less cumbersome to use than TRF search feature.
I actually didn’t see any TRF when I did google. I’m slightly embarrassed I did but like I said in complete freak out mode.
Old 2 July 2024, 01:25 PM   #9
sjhoppes
"TRF" Member

Dumb question I’m sure but does it need to stay unscrewed tonight to dry or anything weird. Sorry if it’s a dumb question.
Old 2 July 2024, 02:00 PM   #10
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
even if you left the crown unscrewed, there's almost no chance you will have any water damage to your sub. that crown and case are far more complicated than meets the eye. the gasket design has been OVER-engineered. seriously. just look at the patent for the crown and stem.

if it makes you feel any better, throw your watch on a bed of rice and leave it be overnight.
Old 2 July 2024, 02:41 PM   #11
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
To put things in perspective, you can safely take a $15 Casio F-91 deeper than 30 metres underwater (see Youtube), and that has three non-screwdown pushers, and a skinny plastic case with caseback held on by tiny phillips-head screws.
Old 2 July 2024, 03:29 PM   #12
Watchdog
"TRF" Member

Watch: I can't tell time
From all that I have read over the years on this forum, you're cool. The watch should be protected from that small exposure.
Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2024, 05:48 PM   #13
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
even if you left the crown unscrewed, there's almost no chance you will have any water damage to your sub. that crown and case are far more complicated than meets the eye. the gasket design has been OVER-engineered. seriously. just look at the patent for the crown and stem.

if it makes you feel any better, throw your watch on a bed of rice and leave it be overnight.
Boiled or special fried?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2024, 05:56 PM   #14
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjhoppes View Post
Hey All,

Hoping you can ease my concerns. I set my Rolex sub date 2023 model today since there’s only 30 days in June and forget to screw down the crown (that’s what I get for doing it at work). I washed my hands all day and was spraying my son down in the shower (only splash water) for a bit before I realized. Am I good or should I be concerned? Watch is only 8 months or so old. Note crown was either in date position or pushed all the way down. I freaked out so I didn’t pay attention when I realized.
Would doubt if you have anything to worry about many years ago now while guiding a group of divers over a reef in the Red sea. At around 25m underwater looked down at my 16600 SD and my crown was fully unscrewed. But I did not panic as the party of divers in my care were far more important than any watch. When returned to surface no water damage whatsoever and watch is still fine today 25 years later. So with the crown unscrewed all oyster watch will still have a certain amount of water resistance, there are still the internal tube seal and a case seal. But I would always recommend that the crown is screwed down just finger tight no force needed when used in water.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2024, 06:18 PM   #15
Jonny8
"TRF" Member

Once I saw to my horror that my wife was wearing my Explorer with the crown unscrewed and out. It had been like that ‘for a day or two.’ So baths, showers, bathing kids, washing hands etc.

No damage. The oyster case and crown system on these are great.
Jonny8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2024, 07:08 PM   #16
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
You could have a swim with a trip-lock crown open and still be ok. I would not worry.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2024, 07:08 PM   #17
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Dumb question I’m sure but does it need to stay unscrewed tonight to dry or anything weird. Sorry if it’s a dumb question.

The trip lock crown saved the day so there is no water inside your watch to worry about.

It wouldn't help if there was. There's no source of pressure inside nor airflow inside to allow water or water vapor to escape the seals. It would take the same pressure to egress past the seals as it does to ingress.

The sub can go swimming with the crown out. No big deal. Just don't make a habit of going scuba diving with the crown open.
Old 2 July 2024, 07:29 PM   #18
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Ah, the advantage of owning the core Submariner like my 124060, it has no additional complications to worry about, just wind it, set the time, screw the crown down and just wear it, and wear it and wear it, no pesky date change to worry about 5 times a year.

Seriously, as many have said your Sub Date is just fine, but please in future don't let anyone distract you from important watch setting tasks, office stuff can wait until you have finished this vital task.

For reference the next date change month is on Tuesday 1st October so get some time blocked off on the office calendar so you have the required peace and quiet to carry out this necessary adjustment.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2024, 08:52 PM   #19
sjhoppes
"TRF" Member

Thanks all! I feel much better. I knew I could trust this forum as usual.
Old 2 July 2024, 11:15 PM   #20
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

You could leave it unscrewed all summer and still be fine. You aren’t diving under the incredible pressures that the watch is capable of withstanding.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2024, 11:17 PM   #21
rolexjackson
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, GMT, Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Would doubt if you have anything to worry about many years ago now while guiding a group of divers over a reef in the Red sea. At around 25m underwater looked down at my 16600 SD and my crown was fully unscrewed. But I did not panic as the party of divers in my care were far more important than any watch. When returned to surface no water damage whatsoever and watch is still fine today 25 years later. So with the crown unscrewed all oyster watch will still have a certain amount of water resistance, there are still the internal tube seal and a case seal. But I would always recommend that the crown is screwed down just finger tight no force needed when used in water.

When you noticed it unscrewed, did you screw it in at the time or did you just leave it like it was until you surfaced?

Life is short buy the watch-
rolexjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2024, 11:27 PM   #22
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexjackson View Post
When you noticed it unscrewed, did you screw it in at the time or did you just leave it like it was until you surfaced?

Life is short buy the watch-
The other divers I was guiding were far more important than screwing the crown back down, if there was any water ingress the damaged would have already been done, so it would have made no difference.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 2 July 2024, 11:35 PM   #23
sjhoppes
"TRF" Member

I think my concern is mostly from my lack of understanding on how the crown works. I didn’t know if it needed to be screwed in for the internal gaskets to be tight for the water resistance or not. Sounds like from everyone that this is not how it functions.
Old 3 July 2024, 12:33 AM   #24
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
I think my concern is mostly from my lack of understanding on how the crown works. I didn’t know if it needed to be screwed in for the internal gaskets to be tight for the water resistance or not. Sounds like from everyone that this is not how it functions.
Left to right HEV, Daytona pushers,Twin Lock,Trip Lock.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 3 July 2024, 12:37 AM   #25
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
No. The watch was not submerged to any depth. You are fine.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 12:42 AM   #26
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Crisis diverted OP, carry on
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 12:42 AM   #27
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
you are fine.
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 12:43 AM   #28
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearjockey View Post
I agree.

If I want to search TRF I use google and type my search term plus The Rolex Forums to get results
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 12:51 AM   #29
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
No.

Just like leaving it unscrewed does not open a hole to the insides to let anything in, it won't let anything out either.

The seals are inside the tube the crown screws onto. Unless those seals are gone or there is extreme lateral pressure against the sides of the crown, there is no way water can waltz into your watch.

Rolex_Twinlock_Triplock.jpg
Old 3 July 2024, 01:10 AM   #30
CAN_VAN7
"TRF" Member

This is an amazing thread! I did the same thing - lots of water, dust, etc with crown unscrewed a while ago - watch working 100% fine and now understand why - thanks
CAN_VAN7 is offline   Reply With Quote