The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 July 2008, 10:19 PM   #1
Milgauss-Green
"TRF" Member

Watch: JLCoultre Master C
Ad in san antonio over msrp

I call yesterday AD LEE MICHAEL FINE JEWELRY in San ANtonio Texas and they want to sell me the Milgauss GV for 18500.00 Aroung 13000.00 more than MSRP and around 8000.00 more than ebay.What do you think? Do they deserve the right to have Rolex AD?Their phone number is 2105419575

Last edited by Milgauss-Green; 27 July 2008 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: TYPING MISTAKE,ADD PHONE
Milgauss-Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2008, 10:21 PM   #2
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Absolutely not

GMT - Master II C - 116710 LN
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2008, 10:27 PM   #3
Milgauss-Green
"TRF" Member

Thank you,I made a mistake typing,it is more than 13000.00 of retail price
Old 27 July 2008, 10:30 PM   #4
Milgauss-Green
"TRF" Member

NNow is edited,it is ok
Old 27 July 2008, 10:32 PM   #5
Milgauss-Green
"TRF" Member

He told me he could do that because is suggested retail price,I told him I was going to call ROLEX USA to find out
Old 27 July 2008, 10:35 PM   #6
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milgauss-Green View Post
He told me he could do that because is suggested retail price,I told him I was going to call ROLEX USA to find out
100% do that and complain- they will get in trouble. i have often had discussions about this with US members as charging over MSRP in the UK and Europe is totally ILLEGAL but some tell me its ok in the USA- I DO NOT THINK SO- please call rolex and let us know what they say

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2008, 10:38 PM   #7
Milgauss-Green
"TRF" Member

I talk by phone yeasterday with another AD in Lousianna and he told that was ilegal,I will call Rolex USA on Monday,they were close yesterday
Old 27 July 2008, 11:07 PM   #8
marshallr47
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,TT Sub,GMT
Keep us posted on what they say.
Old 27 July 2008, 11:10 PM   #9
Milgauss-Green
"TRF" Member

Ok,I will do it tomorrow
Old 27 July 2008, 11:31 PM   #10
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
I bet he's selling it "used" or LNIB. Many sell new all day at retail but the "used" Daytonas, etc sell at market prices. I don't think Rolex as a issue with this. Not unlike hot cars being titled or demo'd (10 miles on the odometer) and then sold over MSRP. Many Mercedes dealers in S. Cal used to do that in the late 90s (last time I lived there) on the AMG cars.

Of course, that watch won't sell at that price. Just to square away the math a bit, with an MSRP of 6,575 it's a tad under +$12K. Swiss Luxury's "sale price today is $12,395.

Please do let us know what you discover. It has been discussed here in the past, but I don't recall a recounting of what Rolex USA has to say. I'm betting they don't get involved.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2008, 11:36 PM   #11
Milgauss-Green
"TRF" Member

When you call an Rolex AD is for buyimg new,because rolex AD do not sell used,thank you
116400 GV
TX Worldtimer xx/100
Old 27 July 2008, 11:42 PM   #12
BigHat
Banned

Quote:
When you call an Rolex AD is for buyimg new,because rolex AD do not sell used,thank you

I'm afraid you have a lot to learn.
Old 27 July 2008, 11:50 PM   #13
thecoinopcollector

Quote:
Are you saying AD's are not allowed to carry used Rolex for sale? I don't think that is true. We had a local AD that always had a case with used Rolex watches in it. This was, however, 5 years back. The owner retired and closed his store.

Marc
thecoinopcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2008, 11:53 PM   #14
BigHat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoinopcollector View Post
Are you saying AD's are not allowed to carry used Rolex for sale? I don't think that is true. We had a local AD that always had a case with used Rolex watches in it. This was, however, 5 years back. The owner retired and closed his store.

Marc
Of course, many sell used watches and Rolex has no problem with them doing so. The entire concept of upgrading is based on it. Even giant ADs like Tourneau do it.
Old 27 July 2008, 11:59 PM   #15
Milgauss-Green
"TRF" Member

May be is true that I have a lot to learn,I am new in this but I live in Miami,USA ,I have been in more that 20 ad seller from Palm Beach to Miami and I have never seen that,I have been in Rolex ad in Amsterdam,Berlin,London,Paris,Brussels,,Barcelona, Granada,Rome,Madrid,Seville,and I am not talking about only one location in a city and I have never seen them,I am not telling that you are wrong bot I am telling what I have seen,thank you for teaching me something new
116400 GV
TX Worldtimer xx/100
Old 28 July 2008, 12:03 AM   #16
BigHat
Banned

Quote:
May be is true that I have a lot to learn,I am new in this but I live in Miami,USA ,I have been in more that 20 ad seller from Palm Beach to Miami and I have never seen that,I have been in Rolex ad in Amsterdam,Berlin,London,Paris,Brussels,,Barcelona, Granada,Rome,Madrid,Seville,and I am not talking about only one location in a city and I have never seen them,I am not telling that you are wrong bot I am telling what I have seen,thank you for teaching me something new
Not everyone sells used, but quite a few do. Stick around, there are a true experts here, especially on the vintage stuff. You can learn a lot very quickly.
Old 28 July 2008, 12:12 AM   #17
Milgauss-Green
"TRF" Member

Ok, Thank you I even have made trading in Mayor Jewelers in Miami,and I have asked the manager what they do with the used watch they get in trading and I was told that they send it to the company anh he doed not know what they do after that
116400 GV
TX Worldtimer xx/100
Old 28 July 2008, 12:16 AM   #18
pessoa00
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
Of course, many sell used watches and Rolex has no problem with them doing so. The entire concept of upgrading is based on it. Even giant ADs like Tourneau do it.
Its true. Last May I saw a "used" daytona at one big T in Manhattan for 16k
pessoa00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2008, 12:17 AM   #19
Dubai
"TRF" Member

Well if it's worth the 18Ks you can find it instantly @ any shop or even on ebay, they do not have the right to do that , i agree go and complain.
Dubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2008, 12:28 AM   #20
Milgauss-Green
"TRF" Member

Teke a notice there are many watch store in New York,many of thrm sale Rolex but not all of them are Aut.dealers of Rolex,when they give you the certificate or send it by mail under your name or the person you choose to write in the certificate then that is an AD,some of them sells used rolee only,thay can have one almost brand new but that was sold to anotjher person before you
116400 GV
TX Worldtimer xx/100
Old 28 July 2008, 12:40 AM   #21
BigHat
Banned

Quote:
Teke a notice there are many watch store in New York,many of thrm sale Rolex but not all of them are Aut.dealers of Rolex,when they give you the certificate or send it by mail under your name or the person you choose to write in the certificate then that is an AD,some of them sells used rolee only,thay can have one almost brand new but that was sold to anotjher person before you
True, but Tourneau is a HUGE (yet hated ) AD with a monster store in NY. You have really just defined the "gray market." In addition to new / used watches flipped by customers, they also buy stock from ADs, much to Rolex USA chagrin.
Old 28 July 2008, 01:27 AM   #22
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
In the USA an Authorized Dealer can sell new Rolex as delivered by the area Distributor. Any jeweler can sell a used Rolex, even an AD, although most AD's are retail outlets and not used product vendors.

Let's take the case of a wall known AD, Ben Bridge. Most do not sell used.....but they do take used in on trade. BB then sends all their used product to the corporate headquarters in Seattle where they are repaired, reconditioned, and overhauled... They then make the rounds throughout the States during their "Time and Time Again" sales. This is where they move all jewelery out of a section and put in their used, reconditioned offerings..

As for selling at MSRP... In the US price fixing is illegal, so Rolex cannot "tell" any Dealer what they must sell a product for except those that are Rolex owned and retailer management contracted, such as the South Coast Rolex Boutique in Cal. However, I expect that there is unwritten policy they adhere to to keep their AD ticket..
Old 28 July 2008, 01:49 AM   #23
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
As Matt suggested, many ADs will sell these watches as LNIB or 'Pre-owned' in order to circumvent the manufacturer's pricing policy. Some Panerai ADs have done the same with models that sell above MSRP...232, 249, etc.

According to a Supreme Court decision just last year, a century-old ban was lifted on manufacturers dictating minimum pricing, even in their written dealer agreements. Of course, a number of them have been using them for years.
Old 28 July 2008, 02:13 AM   #24
Hatchet
"TRF" Member

Rolex AD can sell used Rolexes and they can also ask over MSRP if they choose. Just don't buy from them.

I know this because my AD sells a few nice used watches and he told me he can charge whatever he wants, but never sells over MSRP.
And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. --Carl Spackler in Caddyshack
Hatchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2008, 02:14 AM   #25
gtbike72
"TRF" Member

Old 28 July 2008, 02:18 AM   #26
Timekiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pessoa00 View Post
Its true. Last May I saw a "used" daytona at one big T in Manhattan for 16k
This scam has been perpetuated by unscrupulous dealers for years. They get in a SS Daytona, suddenly it's in the case as a "trade-in" and now since no longer new, priced at market price versus MSRP. I can't say that I have seen Rolex get too involved with these dealers but I'm certainly no expert.
Timekiller is offline   Reply With Quote