The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 August 2008, 10:13 AM   #1
smh223
"TRF" Member

Rolex NYC is killing me!!!

anyway, i took my one month old sub there becuase of what i saw as a defect in the cystal and/or possibly a dust particle. Although they claimed not to be able to see it, I paid them to replace the cystal.

Anyway, I get the watch back today and there are not 1 but 2 of these marks on the cyrstal (more or less the same as what you see in the photo).

Now, I have owned many of these watches (including M serial 16610's) and never noticed this before.

My AD is useless becuase they are getting shut down, so what do I do? Can I complain to Rolex in Geneva? Go to an independent watchmaker?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (30.5 KB, 879 views)
smh223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2008, 10:55 AM   #2
walds11
"TRF" Member

Is it visible to the naked eye? What magnification did you use to snap the pic?

If the defect bothers you that much, then I would go back to the NY RSC and demand to speak to a manager or supervisor. Or maybe send it to another RSC.

I had an issue with a watch under warranty last year. The NY RSC fixed the problem, but the watch came back with scratches on the case back. I called back and demanded that I speak with a manager. The issue was resolved (after sending the watch back for a second time) and they reimbursed me the shipping charges that I had to pay to send the watch back the second time. Sort of a painful experience, but they finally got it right. Good luck.
Old 23 August 2008, 11:21 AM   #3
smh223
"TRF" Member

i shot the pci using th emacro setting on a digitial cam...its easily visable to the naked eye
Old 23 August 2008, 09:24 PM   #4
smh223
"TRF" Member

anyone ever seen this before
Old 23 August 2008, 10:05 PM   #5
chopperboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Baby!!
Hell I'm pushing 39 years old, and I'm just happy I can see the dial & date still.....
chopperboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2008, 10:15 PM   #6
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
What did the RSC say when you pointed out there was a defect in the crystal? I would take that same picture and give it to the tech working on your watch.
~Scott
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2008, 10:18 PM   #7
f16570
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II White Face
You must have outstanding eyesight amigo.
Old 23 August 2008, 10:58 PM   #8
smh223
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS View Post
What did the RSC say when you pointed out there was a defect in the crystal? I would take that same picture and give it to the tech working on your watch.
~Scott
they more or less told me I was crazy and that I should just deal with it...i didn't have time to ask to speak with a supervisor
Old 23 August 2008, 11:17 PM   #9
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Quote:
Originally Posted by smh223 View Post
they more or less told me I was crazy and that I should just deal with it...i didn't have time to ask to speak with a supervisor
That stinks, I would call them again and express your dissatisfaction.
~Scott
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2008, 11:23 PM   #10
Hatchet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have spoken with the manager there and if you try that you will be wasting your breath. Write a letter of complaint to Geneva and send it to SF or use an independent.
And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. --Carl Spackler in Caddyshack
Hatchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2008, 12:35 AM   #11
rob
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SS only
Sad! when you pay that much money for a watch, you have the expectation of perfection. Granted it's not a 100k watch but it's also not a chepo either! Sorry to hear and see!
rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2008, 03:36 AM   #12
MikeV
Banned

Watch: GMTIIc
I wouldn't live with it. Little scratches here and there I would say that's fine bec. eventually you're going to get some anyways, but dust under the crystal seems annoying. Just be firm but polite when you speak with them. Give them an analogy...if you just brought in your luxury car for service and they scratched the door and said just live with it, how would you feel?
MikeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2008, 06:32 AM   #13
chicagowatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DDMasterp
Check out my reply under the post "damaged watch returned"
chicagowatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2008, 04:32 AM   #14
smh223
"TRF" Member

here are the photos i will be bringing with me tomorrow...at this point i think i would just like a refund for the money i spent on the new crystal and I will take my business to san fran, bev hills or bob ridley...i'd rather not have those monkeys in NYC mess with my watch

p.s. i know these things may look small in the photos, but in natural light they stick out very clearly (at 34 mins and 51 mins)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Defect 51.jpg (38.8 KB, 586 views)
File Type: jpg Defect34.jpg (48.2 KB, 587 views)
Old 25 August 2008, 06:10 AM   #15
Dalton
TechXpert

Watch: 168000
I'd be pissed. I dont even wat to respond to this thread cuz I'm actually pretty PO'd myself.
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2008, 06:33 AM   #16
Sparky CRNA

Watch: GMT IIc 116713
Hey,

Yeah they scatched up my watch in NYC too and refused to do anything about it! Call Andrea Zellmer at the DALLAS RSC she would be happy to oblige!

Sparky
Sparky CRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2008, 07:08 AM   #17
chicagowatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DDMasterp
What did she and the Dallas Service Center do for you?
chicagowatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2008, 01:51 AM   #18
smh223
"TRF" Member

Well, I went into to RSC NY today to have them address my problem.

The "glamour boys" at the front desk were not in today (thank goodness), and a nice, professional woman helped me.

She took my watch, looked at it under a 10x loupe herself, showed it to the tech, and acknowledged the problem. She said it would take a day or two to fix.

Now, I know I took a gamble giving the watch back to RSC NY, but hopefully they will get it right this time.

Anyway, we'll see in a couple of day.

Thanks for all the advice and I will keep you posted.
Old 26 August 2008, 02:38 AM   #19
Rolexitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I had the same experience with my brand new sub in March of this year. After wearing the watch for 2 days, this small white spec appeared on the dial between the 4 and 5 hour markers. I was pissed and everyone kept telling me "it's not a big deal" etc etc. Well let me tell you, this is my first Rolex and I waited 10 years to be able to buy it and BY GOD I expected nothing less than perfection (at least out of the box anyway). I took it to my AD and he sent it to RSC Dallas and I got it back in 2 weeks. Now there is a little smudging UNDERNEATH my crystal around the cyclops where they handled it. I am obbsessive about wiping the crystal clean all of the time, but in the light it looks like I missed a spot. Very frustrating for what is believed to be the "Best", and I can handle that part until I send it in for service in 5 years. I will make a list of what I expect from them at that time. So....I would not settle for the specs man. Rolex does not approve of their watches going out the door with Crap like that in them. I would send it to RSC Dallas they seem to be good.
Old 26 August 2008, 02:45 AM   #20
Sam Taha
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
I would totally go crazy if I saw these specs no matter how small on my $6000 watch. Unacceptable. You took good pics, take them to the RSC and don't pay another penny.
Sam Taha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2008, 04:04 AM   #21
YuppieKid
"TRF" Member

LOL ... Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperboy View Post
Hell I'm pushing 39 years old, and I'm just happy I can see the dial & date still.....
Old 26 August 2008, 04:06 AM   #22
dotcomakazee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II 42mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexitis View Post
I had the same experience with my brand new sub in March of this year. After wearing the watch for 2 days, this small white spec appeared on the dial between the 4 and 5 hour markers. I was pissed and everyone kept telling me "it's not a big deal" etc etc. Well let me tell you, this is my first Rolex and I waited 10 years to be able to buy it and BY GOD I expected nothing less than perfection (at least out of the box anyway). I took it to my AD and he sent it to RSC Dallas and I got it back in 2 weeks. Now there is a little smudging UNDERNEATH my crystal around the cyclops where they handled it. I am obbsessive about wiping the crystal clean all of the time, but in the light it looks like I missed a spot. Very frustrating for what is believed to be the "Best", and I can handle that part until I send it in for service in 5 years. I will make a list of what I expect from them at that time. So....I would not settle for the specs man. Rolex does not approve of their watches going out the door with Crap like that in them. I would send it to RSC Dallas they seem to be good.

I've had a very positive experience with RSC Dallas so far. I dropped my 1675 off on 8/8/08 and they are almost done! I can't wait to get it back.

dotcomakazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2008, 06:24 AM   #23
Rolexitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcomakazee View Post
I've had a very positive experience with RSC Dallas so far. I dropped my 1675 off on 8/8/08 and they are almost done! I can't wait to get it back.
I'm sure you'll be pleased Hope it works out good for you.
Old 27 August 2008, 12:40 PM   #24
RolexBuckeye
"TRF" Member

Oh man this really worries me! I just dropped off my LV on friday to have it regulated(fast 12-15 seconds per day) and there was a speck underneath my cyclops. They said that it is inbetween the cyclops and the crystal, so they would have to replace the crystal... I really hope they see that they are not being careful with these crystal swaps and take better care of ALL of our watches.

When I dropped off the watch I had the feeling that I was in good hands, but now am very worried I'm going to have a bad experience like you fellas...
RolexBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2008, 02:26 PM   #25
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
Quote:
Well, I went into to RSC NY today to have them address my problem.

The "glamour boys" at the front desk were not in today (thank goodness), and a nice, professional woman helped me.

She took my watch, looked at it under a 10x loupe herself, showed it to the tech, and acknowledged the problem. She said it would take a day or two to fix.

Now, I know I took a gamble giving the watch back to RSC NY, but hopefully they will get it right this time.

Anyway, we'll see in a couple of day.

Thanks for all the advice and I will keep you posted.
Yes, it's great to have a helpful professional take a look and serve the customer than those clowns who cares about their looks more than people they supposed to help.
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2008, 05:26 PM   #26
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
I hate RSC NY. They flat out suck A@@! Hostile know it alls who could care less about you or your Rolex. I sent a DJ in for service (losing time two minutes a day) they sent it back the time was still off, I sent it back again the watch returned same problem. I sent it a third time and they fixed it. The watch worked for six months then began losing time yet again. Ticked off with the clown masters working in the RSC NY I sent the DJ to the RSC Dallas. Dallas fixes the watch with no further problems. I think RSC NY is a joke to the Rolex name. I would work with Dallas or Bev. Hills. RSC NY can go to H@#.
Old 27 August 2008, 11:20 PM   #27
Hatchet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone View Post
I hate RSC NY. They flat out suck A@@! Hostile know it alls who could care less about you or your Rolex. I sent a DJ in for service (losing time two minutes a day) they sent it back the time was still off, I sent it back again the watch returned same problem. I sent it a third time and they fixed it. The watch worked for six months then began losing time yet again. Ticked off with the clown masters working in the RSC NY I sent the DJ to the RSC Dallas. Dallas fixes the watch with no further problems. I think RSC NY is a joke to the Rolex name. I would work with Dallas or Bev. Hills. RSC NY can go to H@#.
Tell us how you really feel about them.
And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. --Carl Spackler in Caddyshack
Hatchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2008, 11:31 PM   #28
oneillba
"TRF" Member

Watch: My beloved TT DJ
Well, it sounds like they will get it right this time. Good luck.

My Trusty TT DJ
oneillba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2008, 11:51 PM   #29
Lol-x
Facilitator

I'm confident you will get a satisfactory resolution. It might just have been a breakdown in communications.

That can happen in many situations (even here)

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2008, 03:12 AM   #30
smh223
"TRF" Member

So I got my watch back yesterday with good, but with mixed results. They did fix the problem with the crystal and now the dial and crystal look perfect. They also discovered a third piece of dust under the crystal which I had not seen before and removed that too (hmm...maybe someone should have check the first time???).

On the bad side, when they removed the bezel insert, they decided to leave me a very small scratch on one of my lugs. Thankfully, it’s hardly noticeable and not something that really bothers me, but that, combined with the small scratches on the underside of the lugs from the bracelet removal, really makes me questions their attention to detail and care for the watches we send them. So, in short, they "fixed" the problem, but I would never use them again and recommend anyone living in the NY area to go to one of the other service centers.

Anyway, at least I have my sub back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0801.jpg (54.2 KB, 155 views)