The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 24 July 2024, 12:57 AM   #1
~Ocho1~
"TRF" Member

What Other "Lesser" Brands Do You Have or Like?

So of course this being the Rolex Forum, we are all fans of Rolex & Tudor, but I'm curious as to what other brands are in your collection or do you like. I've seen a few here with AP's & Patek's, but what about the lower levels of luxury watches?

I feel Omega is a great brand, & while not at the same price point as Rolex, quality is pretty damn close.

I'm personally a big fan of Longines, I have a few of their pieces & really like their vintage inspired designs & their vintage watches are beautiful.

Oris is another brand that comes to mind when I think of well made, well designed watches.

So tell me about the other brands you like, who while not on the same level as Rolex, still bring you enjoyment.
~Ocho1~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 01:12 AM   #2
SaddleSC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
I have a really large Doxa collection.
Old 24 July 2024, 01:16 AM   #3
Shomarih
"TRF" Member

Casio offers a luxury G- Shock line that I like called the MR-G line. I own a MRGB5000-D that i use as a go anywhere do anything watch when i don't want to wear one of my Rolex watches. It's made from some titanium only found in Japan. Very high quality and detailing for a G- Shock.
Shomarih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 01:20 AM   #4
Krash
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT

I like a lot of the German brands. Sinn, Damasko, Stowa, and even Nomos (which can be polarizing).

I also like a lot of the micro brands. Farer and anOrdain quickly come to mind, but there are many others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 01:26 AM   #5
BoilerRxZ06
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
I'm a big fan of Oris! I've got a bronze big crown pointer date and a propilot x, both of which see a lot of wrist time. I'm always looking for the next one at my AD, just haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet.
Old 24 July 2024, 01:30 AM   #6
~Ocho1~
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
I like a lot of the German brands. Sinn, Damasko, Stowa, and even Nomos (which can be polarizing).

I also like a lot of the micro brands. Farer and anOrdain quickly come to mind, but there are many others.

I have two Stowa's, a Marine Original & a HW Flieger. they make great watches
~Ocho1~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 01:31 AM   #7
Reinhard in SA
"TRF" Member

I like vintage Seiko divers and chronos, got some Omegas too.
Reinhard in SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 01:33 AM   #8
Cru Jones

Seiko, Casio and Swatch. :-)

Personally, I think of Omega and Rolex being in the same category (other than the ultra-bejeweled Rolexes of course).
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 01:49 AM   #9
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
There’s no better bang for your buck IMHO

brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 02:00 AM   #10
Llamathurst
"TRF" Member

Glashütte...
Llamathurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 02:01 AM   #11
WatchEater666
Banned

I sold all of my Rolex watches earlier this year. The Tudor BB54 scratches my vintage itch and I have a Sinn u50 I wear a lot for stuff like the gym, long walks, etc...

I do have a no date sub coming from an AD eventually, but don't really want anything from Rolex outside of that and maybe a batgirl at some point...but I dont love the cyclops.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 02:04 AM   #12
RichardBartlett
"TRF" Member

big fan of

https://direnzowatches.com

https://louiserard.com/?v=baa904278574
RichardBartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 02:10 AM   #13
davek35
"TRF" Member

Oris has a couple that really interest me.

Other than that there are several other watches that interest me, but certain specs about them rule them out for me.
davek35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 02:17 AM   #14
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

In the two years I have been waiting on call from a (any) Rolex AD, I have learned a lot about watches and the watch market. An appreciation of other brands has been developed, quite honestly at Rolex's expense.

I needed a GMT as I travel a lot, so I bought a Panerai 233 which while large at 44mm, is extremely functional and fashionable to some degree. Panerai watches, especially the ones made before 2020 are unique and very distinctive. The current models, not so much.

I wanted a chrono, so I bought the iconic Omega Speedmaster 3861 Sapphire Sandwich, which checks a lot of boxes regarding watch history and technology. This watch has given me an appreciation of the 321 EW version which I would like to someday own.

To get something different, I bought a JLC Reverso Duo, which having two watch faces, can serve as a clumsy GMT. The quality of the workmanship, the Reverso history and uniqueness of the design make this watch worth owning.

On a few Youtube videos I saw a discontinued Zenith El Primero Triple Calendar with Moonphase that looked really cool and seemed to be incredibly affordable for a watch with so many complications. I wouldn't have known about the ground-breaking El Primero movement without the knowledge of its history in the first automatic Daytona. I liked this watch so much I bought both the silver and black dial versions.

I also bought a Grand Seiko with the proprietary Spring Drive movement and am amazed how it has become my most accurate and reliable watch. If GS improved its marketing (too many models that look the same), it would be really popular.

As I was determined not to wait by the phone for the AD call, I also purchased a Baltic Aquascaphe, which is an on-line microbrand that is gaining quite a following, as well as a Laine V38 which is a low-volume Finnish independent based in Switzerland. Both of these were easy to buy and uniquely fun to wear.

In addition to these eight watches, I also purchased four of the Swatch MoonSwatches. Fun and easy to wear.

I have researched and purchased all these watches while waiting on an AD list for a Batman. While none of these watches helped my "spend history" with a Rolex AD, I am happy with all of them and realize a watch obsession is richer with more brands.

In addition to all of the above, I did end up getting a Batman (grey), as well as a DJ version that had been discontinued over 15 years ago (also grey).

I don't think any of my Rolex ADs know I have purchased 14 watches in the two years I have been waiting on them, however this is more their problem than mine. Over the last two years, my list of Rolex watches I really want to own has gotten smaller, while my list of non-Rolex watches sas grown.

There are some really cool ones still on my list to own from TAG Heuer, Breitling, Patek, Cartier and more.

My biggest problem now is how to "allocate" wrist time. None of my watches are "lesser", however some of them behave like only-children...
Laine V38 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS - Garmin Approach S62
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune/Lava
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 02:26 AM   #15
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
100%
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 02:29 AM   #16
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post
In the two years I have been waiting on call from a (any) Rolex AD, I have learned a lot about watches and the watch market. An appreciation of other brands has been developed, quite honestly at Rolex's expense.

I needed a GMT as I travel a lot, so I bought a Panerai 233 which while large at 44mm, is extremely functional and fashionable to some degree. Panerai watches, especially the ones made before 2020 are unique and very distinctive. The current models, not so much.

I wanted a chrono, so I bought the iconic Omega Speedmaster 3861 Sapphire Sandwich, which checks a lot of boxes regarding watch history and technology. This watch has given me an appreciation of the 321 EW version which I would like to someday own.

To get something different, I bought a JLC Reverso Duo, which having two watch faces, can serve as a clumsy GMT. The quality of the workmanship, the Reverso history and uniqueness of the design make this watch worth owning.

On a few Youtube videos I saw a discontinued Zenith El Primero Triple Calendar with Moonphase that looked really cool and seemed to be incredibly affordable for a watch with so many complications. I wouldn't have known about the ground-breaking El Primero movement without the knowledge of its history in the first automatic Daytona. I liked this watch so much I bought both the silver and black dial versions.

I also bought a Grand Seiko with the proprietary Spring Drive movement and am amazed how it has become my most accurate and reliable watch. If GS improved its marketing (too many models that look the same), it would be really popular.

As I was determined not to wait by the phone for the AD call, I also purchased a Baltic Aquascaphe, which is an on-line microbrand that is gaining quite a following, as well as a Laine V38 which is a low-volume Finnish independent based in Switzerland. Both of these were easy to buy and uniquely fun to wear.

In addition to these eight watches, I also purchased four of the Swatch MoonSwatches. Fun and easy to wear.

I have researched and purchased all these watches while waiting on an AD list for a Batman. While none of these watches helped my "spend history" with a Rolex AD, I am happy with all of them and realize a watch obsession is richer with more brands.

In addition to all of the above, I did end up getting a Batman (grey), as well as a DJ version that had been discontinued over 15 years ago (also grey).

I don't think any of my Rolex ADs know I have purchased 14 watches in the two years I have been waiting on them, however this is more their problem than mine. Over the last two years, my list of Rolex watches I really want to own has gotten smaller, while my list of non-Rolex watches sas grown.

There are some really cool ones still on my list to own from TAG Heuer, Breitling, Patek, Cartier and more.

My biggest problem now is how to "allocate" wrist time. None of my watches are "lesser", however some of them behave like only-children...
Nice journey, I totally get it
Old 24 July 2024, 02:32 AM   #17
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 02:38 AM   #18
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

My sincerest apologies, as detailing ~30 years of ... would be a fun book. The thrills of victory, the sadness during trying times... and decisions of priorities in life.

One of each timepiece would be nice, but where to store all those boxes?

Time itself is the most valuable thing we all have.

Enjoy your time

2702234n_edited.jpg

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 02:40 AM   #19
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

I am a huge sports watch fan. To me a sports watch at minimum is ergonomic, comfortable, versatile, tough, good water resistant. This is probably why Rolex is my favorite brand, as basically the entire steel catalogue fits this, it's woven into Rolex's DNA.

I haven't found a brand that I enjoy like I do Rolex, but rather specific watches. And some are from peer or even arguably "higher" brands, so some from "lesser" as well. Off the top of my head the ones I have enjoyed:

IWC Mark XX and Ingenieur
Omega Speedy Pro
GO SeaQ

The above is my go-to when I recommend 3 watch non-Rolex collections.

Longines Zulu Time 39mm
Tudor BB58 and 54 (the others have remained too thick for my liking)
Seiko SPB143
Oris ProPilot X
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 02:56 AM   #20
S.Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollie
Breitling (the vintage 39mm Chronomats)
Seiko
Casio
S.Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 02:57 AM   #21
train-time

Watch: Not Allocated
Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post

Excellent adventure and fantastic journey! Very similar to mine and also at Rolex's (and my AD's) expense as well.

My relationship with our state's only AD has been an estranged one since late last year and one that I never expected to get to see their new store with numerous brand boutiques inside the store due to the deteriorated relationship.

However, I was surprised to get "the call" last week out of the blue for a new TT Daytona that I politely declined but I did take the opportunity to get invited to see the new store at some point down the road when time allows. It seems that business overshadows hurt feelings that attributed to their wishing me all the best with my journey last year.

When I go for the visit, I will check out their new inside Rolex boutique but will spend most of my time eyeing all the other brands as I am done with Rolex in this lifetime.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 03:00 AM   #22
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T

I’ve been collecting watches for a long time, and have many other brands, including Seiko, Sinn, Nomos, Hamilton, Longines, Marathon, Rado, Baltic, OWC, Ginault, Wise, Stella, to name a few. There are some amazing brands out there, where you can find high quality beautiful pieces that punch way above their weight class! Lately, I’ve been tempted to get a Jack Mason Stratotimer Dr. Pepper GMT, but went for the Wise Batman, instead. Still awaiting delivery, as it’s coming from Thailand.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 03:06 AM   #23
rohada
"TRF" Member

I would still have my Omega collection (Ploprof 1200 | Speedy 861 cal | SMP Diver | Railmaster chrono | Seamaster Ti & Rose Au chrono | GMT) and Tag Heuer re-issues (Monaco & Monza), if I had not made the move to Rolex.
Old 24 July 2024, 03:12 AM   #24
KatGirl

Quote:

I could not agree more, Brian, and I think you know I own that one, too. It is my very first dive watch, and it will not be sold off. I have sold about 20 of my Seikos, but some I just can’t let go. I put mine on a rattly Seiko Jubilee, too.

Kat

Old 24 July 2024, 03:14 AM   #25
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
I could not agree more, and I think you know I own that one, too. It is my very first dive watch, and will not be sold off. I have sold about 20 of my Seikos, but some I just can’t let go.

Kat

I do remember that Kat. We are in good company here me thinks

brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 03:17 AM   #26
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Breitling Navitimer and Cartier Santos Large.
Old 24 July 2024, 03:20 AM   #27
Potawatomi
"TRF" Member

JLC is so good. Love their comps.
Potawatomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 03:35 AM   #28
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamathurst View Post
Glashütte...
Love Glashutte but wouldn't call them "lesser"
Old 24 July 2024, 03:41 AM   #29
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
I have Omega, Cartier, one Breitling and a few independent brands, Fears, Furlan Marri and Studio Underdog
Old 24 July 2024, 04:04 AM   #30
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleP View Post
I have Omega, Cartier, one Breitling and a few independent brands, Fears, Furlan Marri and Studio Underdog

I wouldn’t label Fears an Independent brand, Michelle. They have been around for a very long time. They are a small brand, though. Love your Fears!

Kat