The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 26 May 2021, 10:20 AM   #1
QuantumOceanLawyer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Last one I bought
Patek Tourbillon

I haven’t been around Patek too long. I know there’s the 5303, but has Patek ever done a production open tourbillon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
QuantumOceanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 11:22 AM   #2
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumOceanLawyer View Post
I haven’t been around Patek too long. I know there’s the 5303, but has Patek ever done a production open tourbillon?

I read in an article that Patek does not believe in open dial work (but they have a skeleton?!) as UV can degrade the performance of the lubricants. That's why only the advanced research Aquanauts has an open dial movement.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 12:14 PM   #3
jamestucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
I read in an article that Patek does not believe in open dial work (but they have a skeleton?!) as UV can degrade the performance of the lubricants. That's why only the advanced research Aquanauts has an open dial movement.
What about 5180/1R
jamestucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 12:46 PM   #4
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestucker View Post
What about 5180/1R

That’s what I meant. I was actually offer this last week but not my cup of tea
Old 26 May 2021, 12:51 PM   #5
QuantumOceanLawyer
"TRF" Member

Thanks not a tourbillon is it?

Old 26 May 2021, 12:51 PM   #6
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
I recall mostly hidden tourbillon offerings from Patek and often used with minute repeaters.
Old 26 May 2021, 04:28 PM   #7
Pateklvr
"TRF" Member

My 5207G with Tourbillion
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 96F67ABA-E64D-4245-B655-0F4B031BFC91.jpeg (112.4 KB, 540 views)
Pateklvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 04:56 PM   #8
Kittayos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That’s what I meant. I was actually offer this last week but not my cup of tea
Some dealer is having a hard time selling new at $60k
Kittayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 11:20 PM   #9
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Patek tourbillions are rare pieces. I have only seen and handled a few of them at ADs and most of them were brought out from the safe. Most I have seen were in Geneva as part of the factory tour.

Patek produces tourbillions watches that have other complications as well, often a MInute Repeater, Perpetual Calendar, etc. The tourbillion is not visible on the dial side as mentioned above.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2021, 11:30 PM   #10
italiafan
"TRF" Member

I see zero point in a tourbillon that you cannot watch work its magic. It is absolutely useless as a complication otherwise on a wristwatch.
italiafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 12:08 AM   #11
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittayos View Post
Some dealer is having a hard time selling new at $60k
Huh? What dealer has a tourbillon for $60, 000 ? Pm me and I will buy it and send you a couple thousand referral fee . James in San Antonio Tx
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 12:28 AM   #12
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiafan View Post
I see zero point in a tourbillon that you cannot watch work its magic. It is absolutely useless as a complication otherwise on a wristwatch.
^^ this.

Today we have such amazing accuracy that the tourbillon complication is just mechanical eye candy than being a necessity as it may have been many decades ago. Historically speaking, prices generally go down on PP tourbillion pieces.

If you want some really cool eye candy by a higher quality manufacturer, that also holds / goes up in value, then get an FP Journe Chronomètre à Résonance.

Untitled-1.jpg

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 12:40 AM   #13
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
^^ this.

Today we have such amazing accuracy that the tourbillon complication is just mechanical eye candy than being a necessity as it may have been many decades ago. Historically speaking, prices generally go down on PP tourbillion pieces.

If you want some really cool eye candy by a higher quality manufacturer, that also holds / goes up in value, then get an FP Journe Chronomètre à Résonance.

Attachment 1223399

Or a Lange Datograph
Old 27 May 2021, 01:39 AM   #14
Kittayos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james272 View Post
Huh? What dealer has a tourbillon for $60, 000 ? Pm me and I will buy it and send you a couple thousand referral fee . James in San Antonio Tx
I meant 5180/1r.
Kittayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 02:03 AM   #15
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittayos View Post
I meant 5180/1r.
40+% off from an AD? That's high. C24 is showing about 10% off
Old 27 May 2021, 02:46 AM   #16
QuantumOceanLawyer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
^^ this.

Attachment 1223399

How much does the resonance run? I want a tourbillon but I have been looking at a couple different VC’s and Lange’s.

Old 27 May 2021, 03:10 AM   #17
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How much does the resonance run? I want a tourbillon but I have been looking at a couple different VC’s and Lange’s.

Rose gold is about USD117000 (CHF101400) and platinum is a little more (~CHF4000). I think the real problem is to get hold of one. The US boutiques now want to "know" you before allocating one to you. Since there is nothing much to sell until after 2022, I guess they can take their time to "know" you

BTW, the Journe Tourbillon is about CHF226000 in case it may interest you.
Old 27 May 2021, 03:23 AM   #18
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Rose gold is about USD117000 (CHF101400) and platinum is a little more (~CHF4000). I think the real problem is to get hold of one. The US boutiques now want to "know" you before allocating one to you. Since there is nothing much to sell until after 2022, I guess they can take their time to "know" you

The FP Journe tourbillion at 226k sounds like a bargain. The least expensive Patek tourbillion is probably twice that.

There are certainly "cheaper" tourbillions made by Tag or Frederick Constantin. But there is a steep price to pay for tourbillions made by the upper echelon of watch manufacturers.

Serious tourbillion fans should look at those made by Greubel Forsey.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 04:21 AM   #19
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
The FP Journe tourbillion at 226k sounds like a bargain. The least expensive Patek tourbillion is probably twice that.

There are certainly "cheaper" tourbillions made by Tag or Frederick Constantin. But there is a steep price to pay for tourbillions made by the upper echelon of watch manufacturers.

The Journe MP is actually an even better bargain compares to PP or other high end brands. But since MP is not a Journe signature piece, I agree that the FPJ Tourbillon is definitely a bargain. (But I like the original one better than the vertical tourbillon now)
Old 27 May 2021, 08:17 AM   #20
QuantumOceanLawyer
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I’ll have to visit the boutique again. Last time I was in they had a pretty good selection but that was a couple years ago. The person operating that boutique at the time was Journe’s sister-in-law. Hopefully she has better access to good pieces!

Old 27 May 2021, 08:20 AM   #21
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ll have to visit the boutique again. Last time I was in they had a pretty good selection but that was a couple years ago. The person operating that boutique at the time was Journe’s sister-in-law. Hopefully she has better access to good pieces!

The LA Boutique is run by his brother and they have nothing there.

I was told the entire 2022 production is pretty much all spoken for. Even a simple Chronometre Souverain has a waitlist.

Crazy time
Old 27 May 2021, 06:50 PM   #22
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pateklvr View Post

Great looking watch.
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 07:33 PM   #23
Murcielagoboy2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pateklvr View Post

Sublime.

And I like it MORE because the Tourbillion is NOT visible. Made for the private enjoyment of the wearer. The inner satisfaction of wearing high horological art made without considerations given to price at the very highest level with no thought given to anyone but the wearer......while the rest of world becomes hysterical over green dials....

Amazing watch. I hope you wear it often.
Murcielagoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 09:47 PM   #24
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murcielagoboy2 View Post
Sublime.

And I like it MORE because the Tourbillion is NOT visible. Made for the private enjoyment of the wearer. The inner satisfaction of wearing high horological art made without considerations given to price at the very highest level with no thought given to anyone but the wearer......while the rest of world becomes hysterical over green dials....

Exactly so. The enjoyment of PPs is a discreet pleasure, personal, private, paid for by and for the owner’s own enjoyment - even , dare I say so, if one likes green dials!
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 10:10 PM   #25
italiafan
"TRF" Member

A tourbillon you can see through the dial is for the exclusive private use of the owner...where are you that people can watch your tourbillon on your wrist?
The point is YOU can see it without removing your watch, whenever you want.
italiafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 11:40 PM   #26
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murcielagoboy2 View Post
Sublime.

Cannot agree more
Old 28 May 2021, 03:56 AM   #27
Robine
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiafan View Post
I dont understand what a tourbillon does. seeing it does not really help.

I think PP's approach of not showing the T is great and a wonderful mind-fugg.
Robine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 04:11 AM   #28
QuantumOceanLawyer
"TRF" Member

I think it’s not really the tourbillon I care about it’s more just being able to glance down and see the inner workings. I originally got into watches because I was tired of checking my phone for the time. Every time I did I would end up checking emails, responding to texts and getting lost in the phone for a few minutes. Watches have taken me out of my phone all day long. Open tourbillons preserve the mastery and design of a dial and let you marvel at how the watch works at the same time with a glance.

Old 28 May 2021, 04:26 AM   #29
Robine
Banned

Quote:
I think it’s not really the tourbillon I care about it’s more just being able to glance down and see the inner workings. I originally got into watches because I was tired of checking my phone for the time. Every time I did I would end up checking emails, responding to texts and getting lost in the phone for a few minutes. Watches have taken me out of my phone all day long. Open tourbillons preserve the mastery and design of a dial and let you marvel at how the watch works at the same time with a glance.

How many skeleton watches do you own, if that is so important to you?
Robine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 04:37 AM   #30
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post

Quote:
The Journe MP is actually an even better bargain compares to PP or other high end brands. But since MP is not a Journe signature piece, I agree that the FPJ Tourbillon is definitely a bargain. (But I like the original one better than the vertical tourbillon now)
Quote:

Lange have made some lovely Tourbillons, London Boutique still has one of these in stock for sale.

https://deployant.com/review-red-12-...h-enamel-dial/
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote