The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 January 2022, 10:17 AM   #1
Mis3
"TRF" Member

Travelling with Rolex

Do you travel overseas with your Rolex? If you do, do you have to declare it or bring some kind of proof that you bought it in your home country?

I know that this was discussed before but I can no longer find the threads.
Mis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 10:21 AM   #2
justjay82
"TRF" Member

I have travelled internationally with a Rolex on my wrist. Have not declared it. But always have a photo of the card in my picture roll in case there are any questions.
justjay82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 10:21 AM   #3
paxjedi
"TRF" Member

1. Yes, for over 27 years in 9 different countries
2. Never.

Why would you? 99% of people travel around the world wearing watches or some kind of timepiece.
Old 10 January 2022, 10:22 AM   #4
mike morris
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUB40-DJ36-YM40
In US I travel everywhere with my watch most likely submariner, never feel any problems. I have insurance for any lost or stolen.
mike morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 11:01 AM   #5
sj24k
"TRF" Member

I travel with watch all the time (at least when I was traveling all the time) and never once declared a watch or worried about this.

All of my watches and appraisals are listed on my insurance policy articles list, which is readily accessible on my phone. So suppose I’d go to that if ever questioned, But again, it’s never been an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sj24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 11:35 AM   #6
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
I've traveled to the major cities in Europe for years, always wearing one of my Rolex's or another nice watch, never any problem nor did I feel uncomfortable. I haven't been Europe sin over a year, they say one needs to be more careful now.
As for declaring it, to whom? There are a million nice watches on wrists traversing Europe on any given day.
Old 10 January 2022, 11:55 AM   #7
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
+25 years traveling extensively worldwide and I’ve never once been asked anything about my watch. Maybe once or twice passengers making complimentary comments, but even those were 1 in 1000.

A different matter could be a watch roll with multiple watches in it. Again, I’ve taken up to three watches on trips, but haven’t ever been asked anything.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 01:00 PM   #8
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
[QUOTE=Mis3;11919667]Do you travel overseas with your Rolex? If you do, do you have to declare it or bring some kind of proof that you bought it in your home country?

I know that this was discussed before but I can no longer find the threads.[

/If this were to ever happen simply show them the photos you took on your phone when you purchased at the AD with the big smile on your face. This would prove ownership.
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 01:36 PM   #9
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’ve been traveling internationally for 30+ years. I only ever travel with one Rolex … the one on my wrist.

I carry a digital copy of the sales receipt, warranty card and date stamped pictures.

Never had an issue, but better to be prepared if you do get asked
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 02:14 PM   #10
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I was asked where I got my JC Deep Sea by a customs agent in New York coming back home from Paris a few years ago. We had what I thought was a normal conversation about the AD, the SA, other watches I own etc. Friendly chap and at the end, he told me these are now really hard to get (2019), that he loves Rolex and has his fathers old Rolex at home.
Old 10 January 2022, 02:32 PM   #11
JP(Canada)
"TRF" Member

I've never done it in my travels, but if you want to, I understand there's a form BSF407 that you can fill out for watches, camera gear, or whatever else you think could create an issue for you when you enter back into Canada, if you don't have any other good way to show you purchased the item in Canada before your trip.
Old 10 January 2022, 03:09 PM   #12
eugenetsang
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610ln
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mis3 View Post
Do you travel overseas with your Rolex? If you do, do you have to declare it or bring some kind of proof that you bought it in your home country?
why would you? Its a watch. A watch that you brought with you on a trip. It'll be a different story if you were to purchase the watch overseas while you're on vacation.

Even if I did, let's say while I am in Hong Kong, I happen to purchase a watch. I wouldn't even declare a thing upon arrival back in the US. I would wear it back as if I had brought it with me before my trip. I would then leave the box/papers back with my family in HK and either have them bring it back with them if they ever visit me. Or I would pick up my box/papers on my next visit (minus the watch). But that would be a special circumstance. Where I am able to safely leave my stuff there for a later time.

During my last visit, I brought 2 watches with me. One on my wrist and the 2nd in a watch roll inside my carry on. TSA from the US didn't say anything when my bag was in xray. Neither did HK's security when I was departing HK.

Unless Canada operates differently than the US? I wouldn't know. But I highly doubt it.
eugenetsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 04:54 PM   #13
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Yes and yes, depending on where you live.
US customs are pretty relaxed from what I read.

As a resident in the EU you better have proof of purchase for high priced items so customs can check that VAT has been paid.

Soccer player Karl Heinz Rummenigge was fined 250.000 Euro for failing to declare his 100.000 Euro Rolex watches at Munich airport.

Not only watches but also ipads might be inspected. A colleague of mine bought one outside the EU and had to pay duties + VAT in Schiphol which added up to about 30%.

Only recently customs announced that they are going to intensify their campaign targeting high ticket items.
You don’t get checked often but if you can’t produce an invoice when requested than you might be in for some trouble.
Old 10 January 2022, 04:56 PM   #14
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I’ve been traveling internationally for 30+ years. I only ever travel with one Rolex … the one on my wrist.

I carry a digital copy of the sales receipt, warranty card and date stamped pictures.

Never had an issue, but better to be prepared if you do get asked
x2

♕126610 ♕126333
Breitling Avenger A17318
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 05:07 PM   #15
eugenetsang
"TRF" Member

When you said bringing proof of purchase, you're saying that if I enter the EU, I may need to show my sales receipt for the 10 years of me owning watch that's on my wrist?
Old 10 January 2022, 05:23 PM   #16
joli160

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenetsang View Post
When you said bringing proof of purchase, you're saying that if I enter the EU, I may need to show my sales receipt for the 10 years of me owning watch that's on my wrist?
Yes. It doesn’t matter new or used items.
Theoretically anything with a value of over 430 Euro may be subject to tax duties.

Obviously they don’t check all passengers and most are waved through but if they stop you it’s best to be prepared. The burden of proof is with the traveller.

Even more crazy If I order something outside the EU I get an invoice to pay VAT duties before the item is delivered. This week I had to pay 4 Euro VAT for a T-shirt shipped from the US. Somebody has to sponsor the clowns in Brussel :
Old 10 January 2022, 09:32 PM   #17
Spoonage

Been traveling international since 2006 for work. Predominantly in Asia and Europe. Rolex and other brands. Every Rolex and Tudor I've bought (except 1 vintage Tudor) I've purchased from an AD so I've received an electronic appraisal with date of purchase, serial, etc. Easy enough to pull out of email or Google drive should I ever find the need, but haven't found the need in over 13 years of domestic and international travel.

Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 09:37 PM   #18
AlexBond
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Cosmograph
Icon7 not sure

Quote:
I'm not sure that's always the case. My Rolex Submariner Date watch costs about 11,000 euros. I travel a lot for work, the last time I flew to the US they didn't ask me for anything :чувак:
AlexBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 09:50 PM   #19
impressionville
Banned

no I don't wear Rolex while traveling
impressionville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 10:05 PM   #20
JayHantz

Watch: @Escapementt
I traveled extensively to the Middle East, Europe, and Africa with a Rolex on - never questioned or stopped in regards to customs.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 10:08 PM   #21
joli160

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBond View Post
I'm not sure that's always the case. My Rolex Submariner Date watch costs about 11,000 euros. I travel a lot for work, the last time I flew to the US they didn't ask me for anything :чувак:
Most of the times they do not, but they might.
When I’m travelling I don’t want to waste time with officials so I just keep a digital copy of invoices rather than getting involved in a yes/ no argument at the airport.
Old 10 January 2022, 11:36 PM   #22
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

I keep scanned copies of all receipts, cards etc saved online. Never know when you might need these and always accessible wherever you are on your travels…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 12:01 AM   #23
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
… I don’t want to waste time with officials so I just keep a digital copy of invoices rather than getting involved in a yes/ no argument at the airport.
Exactly
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 01:06 AM   #24
eugenetsang
"TRF" Member

Wow. I've been travelling... Since forever... This is the first time hearing that I need to bring proof before I enter the EU! This is news to me! I'm not doubting you guys. But for all the years I've been traveling to the UK and the rest of Europe, I never was questioned as to what I was physically wearing.

But buying highend goods while you're there, I know you're "supposed to declare" them when you're leaving "said country". But I never knew you're supposed to bring proof when you enter!
Old 11 January 2022, 01:28 AM   #25
Endoscopist
"TRF" Member

so I will add an interesting story to this thread - I just traveled back from Aruba and I was asked by US customs (on the Aruba side) about my submariner. I was with my wife and 2 kids and it went something like this:

"did you guys purchase any luxury items while on vacation, any handbags or watches... sir, what watch are you wearing?"

I was honestly slightly shocked that I was asked because I could not see that one coming (as you can tell by the replies here it doesn't seem to be commonplace)

I turned my wrist to her and said "this one."

She asked me to turn the watch over to see the clasp and then said "ok you're good to go have a safe trip home."

very interesting interaction. watch was bought in June at my local AD at home just fyi.

Also, I was asked to remove my watch at security on the Aruba side heading back to US - first time I was asked to remove a watch while traveling. I said I did not want to remove it and put it in the tray. She asked me to place in my bag and I did it to avoid argument, but I was honestly not happy about it...
Endoscopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 01:40 AM   #26
eugenetsang
"TRF" Member

Endoscopist,

Interesting... I know lots of people buy luxury watches while they are in the Caribbean. Therefore security will question what was purchased while you're there, if any.

But this is the first time hearing customs asking what's on
your wrist... Majority of the time i only get, "hello. Do you have anything meats, fruits/veg/nuts in your bag."
Old 11 January 2022, 02:06 AM   #27
Endoscopist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Endoscopist,

Interesting... I know lots of people buy luxury watches while they are in the Caribbean. Therefore security will question what was purchased while you're there, if any.

But this is the first time hearing customs asking what's on
your wrist... Majority of the time i only get, "hello. Do you have anything meats, fruits/veg/nuts in your bag."
Exactly. I have been asked each time if any luxury goods were purchased there - this seems to have been a standard question, but I have never been asked about what watch I am wearing.

The customs officer was very pleasant during the whole interaction. I am not sure what would have happened if she would have taken it further because I was not prepared for this question and I would not be able to produce any receipt spontaneously. I guess a picture of the watch on my wrist from before the trip would have probably gotten her off my back in that case.
Endoscopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 03:03 AM   #28
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
If it's one watch on the wrist you really should be fine, I've never had a problem once. It would be ridiculous if a customs agent caused an issue over your single watch on your wrist.

With that said though if you want to be extra careful some people recommend bringing a receipt to prove where and when you purchased the watch, to prove it was not purchased during your current trip.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 03:28 AM   #29
Carondelet
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, 116900
I may be very mistaken in my understanding, so I want to pose this as a question instead of a statement.

Are you required to declare anything that you already own and are just bringing with you?

I think not, if you owned it before leaving the country you don't need to declare it, but I could be very wrong.
Old 11 January 2022, 04:11 AM   #30
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Never had an issue with just the one I'm wearing.

Bring a box of several in carry on and that's an issue.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote