The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 14 January 2022, 11:56 PM   #1
Farsh14
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Green Sub
Why do some get triggered by Nicknames?

How are new Rolex admirers to be expected to memorize 5+ digit number combinations? Who has time for that (please reply if you have time for that) and is that time really necessary? In the end of the day if a nickname sticks, wouldn’t it make sense to just go with it?

Do these same people hate it when William is referred to as Will, or Bill?

batman is a nickname that the world seems to accept and it’s easy to remember. Now I can spend that extra time I would have spent remembering that BLNR is some French Swiss something or another with this series of numbers and use that time to stare at my Batman watch that much longer! Just seems to me like a big waste time.

Also the smug responses “ummm well rolex does not make superheroes” seems overplayed. In a perfect world maybe uncover the underlying issues on why your be frustrated with that because to be frank with you all, or should I say Franklin, the nicknames aren’t going away and they’re much easier to remember

Also I noticed the Rolex website acknowledged the Batman nickname for what it’s worth
Old 15 January 2022, 12:00 AM   #2
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’m not as triggered as some, but I prefer to use the reference numbers and descriptor if necessary (eg: BLNR 126710 jubilee/oyster).

Once you catch on to using them, it’s really not much to remember, and a company like Rolex tends to use numbers that make sense from previous model years (16710, 116710, 126710).

To each their own I guess
Old 15 January 2022, 12:00 AM   #3
PA Zu
"TRF" Member

People definitely do seem to get bent out of shape about it - in fact, I'm sure you are going to hear from some in this thread! But like you, I don't care to memorize a list of 5 digit codes to know if someone is talking about their Daytona or grandma's lady date just.
Old 15 January 2022, 12:07 AM   #4
Aplover5
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
As long as you’re not buying your Rolie as an investment.��
Old 15 January 2022, 12:07 AM   #5
Snerks
"TRF" Member

Old 15 January 2022, 12:13 AM   #6
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Difficult to remember the model number of a watch you're interested in?

Then how about calling your GMT a BLRO or BLNR or LN or CHNR, how about Daytona or Submariner?

Nicknames are just silly but if you want to have a silly name for your watch then just carry on. Just don't expect everyone to join you.

And as for calling Rolex a Rolie well thats is just plain daft.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Old 15 January 2022, 12:16 AM   #7
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farsh14 View Post
How are new Rolex admirers to be expected to memorize 5+ digit number combinations?
What other information are you unable to learn or remember?
Omega Seamaster SMP300m, Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
Old 15 January 2022, 12:16 AM   #8
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

I'm not a nickname person, but it doesn't bother me if someone else uses any of those terms. It is kind of entertaining to watch some folks get their skivvies in a twist over it. It's human nature I guess.

I will concede that whenever I hear someone use the term "rollie" I tend to assume they are a moron.
Old 15 January 2022, 12:19 AM   #9
WatchesNBlondes
Banned

I’m not going to remember reference numbers, but I’m not fully in favor of the nicknames either.
Old 15 January 2022, 12:59 AM   #10
Randy9999
"TRF" Member

Watch: red 1680; 6542
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchesNBlondes View Post
I’m not going to remember reference numbers, but I’m not fully in favor of the nicknames either.
Ok, that leaves us with given names then. So the 123400 might become "the Floyd" when speaking generally, but if, perhaps, you're referencing a specific color dial you can place that before the given name. Example: Pink Floyd.
Old 15 January 2022, 01:00 AM   #11
sj24k
"TRF" Member

People can call them whatever they want. Doesn’t bother me a bit.

I tend to use the real names that Rolex gives them, but refer to them by their nicknames on occasion.

Some of the nicknames are better than others, so I just avoid the ones that sound silly to me, or cheapen what I feel are otherwise lovely watches.

But can we all agree that “Starbucks” is the worst?

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 January 2022, 01:08 AM   #12
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Might be that the older generation has become enamored with the prestige of memorizing numbers? In the old days, decades ago, you may have seemed more cultured if you knew reference numbers, whereas nicknames were 'for the kids'?

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 15 January 2022, 01:21 AM   #13
SocialMediaUser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Might be that the older generation has become enamored with the prestige of memorizing numbers? In the old days, decades ago, you may have seemed more cultured if you knew reference numbers, whereas nicknames were 'for the kids'?
Pretty much spot on.

Since the ancient greeks (or was it the romans?) the older generation has always been horrified over what the young ones say or do.

But what some old half-senil stooges think about what is appropriate or not will soon be forgotten.
And in 50yrs todays kids will be discussing the same issues we do,and yet again talk about the horrible way the young speak dress think and act
Old 15 January 2022, 01:24 AM   #14
jcapulet786
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 36MM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farsh14 View Post
How are new Rolex admirers to be expected to memorize 5+ digit number combinations? Who has time for that (please reply if you have time for that) and is that time really necessary? In the end of the day if a nickname sticks, wouldn’t it make sense to just go with it?

Do these same people hate it when William is referred to as Will, or Bill?

batman is a nickname that the world seems to accept and it’s easy to remember. Now I can spend that extra time I would have spent remembering that BLNR is some French Swiss something or another with this series of numbers and use that time to stare at my Batman watch that much longer! Just seems to me like a big waste time.

Also the smug responses “ummm well rolex does not make superheroes” seems overplayed. In a perfect world maybe uncover the underlying issues on why your be frustrated with that because to be frank with you all, or should I say Franklin, the nicknames aren’t going away and they’re much easier to remember

Also I noticed the Rolex website acknowledged the Batman nickname for what it’s worth

because people that memorize the 5 digits like wasting their time.
Old 15 January 2022, 01:27 AM   #15
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj24k View Post
People can call them whatever they want. Doesn’t bother me a bit.

I tend to use the real names that Rolex gives them, but refer to them by their nicknames on occasion.

Some of the nicknames are better than others, so I just avoid the ones that sound silly to me, or cheapen what I feel are otherwise lovely watches.

But can we all agree that “Starbucks” is the worst?

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ll agree but only because I don’t want to mistake a watch for my favorite cappuccino in the afternoon
Old 15 January 2022, 01:27 AM   #16
Goin2drt
Banned

Because they are childish.
Old 15 January 2022, 01:29 AM   #17
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Some nicknames are cool, in Top Gun, Iceman and Maverick! Awesome handles!!
Old 15 January 2022, 01:33 AM   #18
joli160
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Childish
Old 15 January 2022, 01:33 AM   #19
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I’m not as triggered as some, but I prefer to use the reference numbers and descriptor if necessary (eg: BLNR 126710 jubilee/oyster).

Once you catch on to using them, it’s really not much to remember, and a company like Rolex tends to use numbers that make sense from previous model years (16710, 116710, 126710).

To each their own I guess
Exactly that Brian but many of todays age are to lazy to learn about the watch reference numbers or the history of the Rolex brand.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 15 January 2022, 01:34 AM   #20
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

I'm waiting on the Willy Wonka to arrive.

270510435_2335885509881150_3885957740217727605_n.jpg

attachment-Willy-Wonka.jpg

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 15 January 2022, 01:43 AM   #21
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Nicknames are fine if they mean something or are "earned": Paul Newman, Pussy Galore, etc.

The desire to immediately jump into the Comic Book world or a bad-coffee shop for a "name" based on little but a cape or cup color, or rename it once again because it's shinier or another minor reason is likely more confusing for new enthusiasts. Plus, it's childish, as somebody else noted.
Old 15 January 2022, 01:43 AM   #22
Booth9999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snerks View Post
This pretty much sums up the people who care what other people call a watch, the names have stuck and aren’t going away like it or not. Mostly seem to be longtime collectors who are unnerved by the nicknames.
Old 15 January 2022, 01:49 AM   #23
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Only a childish person would get mad. If you don't like calling your green sub Hulk that is completely fine. But getting mad that someone called it that when it's now a mainstream name for it makes you look childish.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
Old 15 January 2022, 01:51 AM   #24
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
I know all of the reference numbers for all of the iterations of the watches that I like and am interested in throughout the years. I use these when researching or speaking with other watch people, either here or out in the wild. I don't even bother with the ones I'm not interested in. I couldn't even guess. For example, I have no idea what a Daytona reference number is for any generation or iteration of it. I have zero interest in that particular watch.

With non-watch people, however, the reference numbers are no different than if you were rattling off binary code. In those cases I just simply describe the model in broad strokes. 1959 Submariner with big crown, or 1970s Submariner or GMT Master. I don't bother rattling off further details unless the conversation warrants it. A quick Google search on the phone to find a photo can fill in any blanks if they don't know what it looks like.

It's like any other hobby or interest. Corvette guys or Porsche and BMW guys can very easily and quickly dive down the rabbit hole of reference numbers for specific vehicles from specific iterations that the average Joe Public only knows as Porsche 911 or BMW M3. The average Joe doesn't know about 996 or 997.1 or 997.2 or 992 all referring to the 911! Or that E30, E46, E36 means 3 series BMW!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 15 January 2022, 01:52 AM   #25
vh2k
"TRF" Member

I have to admit...

I'm a "triggie" -- one who is triggered by the use of nicknames and posts about nicknames.

Old 15 January 2022, 02:06 AM   #26
Furrygoat
"TRF" Member

I think it’s because it’s a sign of the changing of the times.

For a lot of people, Rolex collecting and enthusiasm was more niche. Separate from social media, slightly more detached from status (maybe?). Either way, maybe it seemed more “authentic”.

The nicknames kind of coincided with the rise in popularity through social media, and the adoption of Rolex enthusiasm by a whole new group of people. Can that be good? Of course.

But it has also caused problems as we all know. People who want to buy a Rolex because it makes you money, or because it’s cool to have a “Batman” is possibly less authentic. Frustrating for those who are into Rolex and watches for more personal reasons.

If you want to collect because the references are personally interesting, or because you have always wanted a Sub or GMT, or whatever; It is a pain that you have to jump through hoops or pay much more than you otherwise would’ve, just because the demand is so high. And possibly, all because of a new demographic in the space that can only understand nicknames.
Old 15 January 2022, 02:17 AM   #27
Scott_
"TRF" Member

When I was inquiring about the TT GMT at a local AD earlier this week, the SA responded "Oh, you mean the Root Beer?"
Old 15 January 2022, 02:25 AM   #28
VegasBaby
Banned

What bothers me is the unwillingness of some "Newbies" to spend the time to learn the history of these models and the differences.........only concerned with nicknames and values.

As far as ADs or SAs referring to them by their nicknames, many of them know less about Rolex and watches in general than even some of the "Newbies"
Old 15 January 2022, 02:32 AM   #29
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendota View Post
I know all of the reference numbers for all of the iterations of the watches that I like and am interested in throughout the years. I use these when researching or speaking with other watch people, either here or out in the wild. I don't even bother with the ones I'm not interested in. I couldn't even guess. For example, I have no idea what a Daytona reference number is for any generation or iteration of it. I have zero interest in that particular watch.

With non-watch people, however, the reference numbers are no different than if you were rattling off binary code. In those cases I just simply describe the model in broad strokes. 1959 Submariner with big crown, or 1970s Submariner or GMT Master. I don't bother rattling off further details unless the conversation warrants it. A quick Google search on the phone to find a photo can fill in any blanks if they don't know what it looks like.

It's like any other hobby or interest. Corvette guys or Porsche and BMW guys can very easily and quickly dive down the rabbit hole of reference numbers for specific vehicles from specific iterations that the average Joe Public only knows as Porsche 911 or BMW M3. The average Joe doesn't know about 996 or 997.1 or 997.2 or 992 all referring to the 911! Or that E30, E46, E36 means 3 series BMW!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I like you. Very well said.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
Old 15 January 2022, 02:54 AM   #30
Pinchy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasBaby View Post
What bothers me is the unwillingness of some "Newbies" to spend the time to learn the history of these models and the differences.........only concerned with nicknames and values.

As far as ADs or SAs referring to them by their nicknames, many of them know less about Rolex and watches in general than even some of the "Newbies"
Someone's allowed to like that same thing as you for different reasons. If you want to look down on them, there is a word for that, elitist.
Closed Thread