The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 August 2021, 02:10 AM   #1
expy2
"TRF" Member

The (ongoing) story of my stolen gmt...

Ok, so I am not a big poster and generally keep myself to myself, but seeing 77T's recent thread has struck a chord with me—I remember seeing this thread when it first went up a few years back and almost posted my story back then. I suppose my hope now is a similar outcome...

Back in 2013 I had my GMT stolen from my cousin's house. I know this was almost eight years ago but it is still as raw now as it was then. The reason I never put it on here at the time (or anywhere else for that matter) was because I was afraid that I would be 'tipping off' the thief or future purchaser and thus it would never end up at Rolex for a service (I believe this is the only way I will get this watch back). This still worries me, but the watch is almost 20 years old and still has not been to RSC so my hopes are dwindling.

I looked on eBay and almost every other watch site for many years in the hope of finding my watch, but it wasn't to be. I even went and looked at a few that I thought could possibly be it.

What makes this worse are the circumstances in which this watch was stolen...
I will not go into too much detail where it is not needed (and I ask and hope that this is respected), but I think the time has come to tell my story as I'm starting to lose any hope that this watch will ever be back with me.

So my cousin and I were pretty close and back in 2012 he gave me this watch. He knew how much I loved it and one day he just handed it to me and said 'It's yours'. I was overwhelmed and at first said that I couldn't take it, but he insisted. He wanted me to have it, he told me. To say I was grateful is an understatement. I remember staring down at this watch in my hands and then looking up at my cousin and simply not having words.
I think he enjoyed that.
Growing up as kids I would often get his old clothes (he was a bit older than me). I use to love it because he would always give us really cool stuff. It was fantastic. The watch was obviously on a different level but it reminded me of all those wonderful days as a kid that he would come round with a bag full of his old clothes.

Anyway, some time later I was at his place to do some training and took it off and put it in his watch box. I forgot to take it home that day so it got left at his place. Not a problem at all, it had spent ten years there before it became mine. I would simply collect it the next time I was there.
Unfortunately I never saw my cousin again. Nor have I seen the watch since.

I got a phone call from my father early one morning telling me my cousin had been found dead at his home. He had passed away overnight.
Obviously I was devastated. He was such a charismatic, flamboyant man that you couldn't help but love him. A huge loss.
I miss him.

My cousin had many 'friends' and unfortunately after his death they seemed to flock to his house (a number of people knew where the spare key was kept). My uncle (his father) was too shell-shocked to ask these people to leave. Numerous times we would go over to his house over the next few days only to find people inside... eventually my uncle told everyone to go, to give us space. It was a day or two later I realised his watch box was not there.

Long story short, some friends had taken it for 'safe keeping'.....
It was eventually return but without most of his watches, including mine. I don't want to go into the ins and outs of the situation, with hindsight we should have cleared everyone from the house immediately but this was so unexpected that we were all in a bit of a daze.

I don't know who took what or which of those people were friends and which were not, and it really doesn't matter to me anymore. I've spent too much time mulling over this over the years. Some of the people I met in his house just after his death most definitely were real friends, but some clearly were not.
Needless to say, anyone that stole from my cousin before he was even cold I hope gets what they deserve.

Obviously we got the police involved but because of the circumstances there wasn't a lot they could do. They asked various people questions but that was about it. We got a crime report and I immediately reported it to Rolex.

Anyway, there is barley a week that goes by that I don't think about this watch, especially when I see pictures posted. It was special to me because my cousin gave it to me. I know the story of when he collected it in 2002, just about making it to the store before it closed (after a long drive) and having to bang on the door as the owner was locking up! I know how much he loved it. It was one of his first 'big' watch purchases.

Anyway, I've finally put it on here because I am starting to accept the realisation that it is likely 'gone' and I suppose I'm fantasising that someone might be able to help.
Please don't think that the elapsed time means I don't much care, trust me it is the complete opposite. It's been extremely difficult to NOT post about this watch for almost eight years. Extremely difficult indeed.

Unfortunately I don't have any picture of my watch (this makes it worse), but I have everything else.

The watch details:

Model: 16710 Serial: K779624
Coke bezel.

I know it's improbable that I will ever see this watch again, but I will never totally give up on it.

The watch was not insured. I can feel the eye rolls... lesson learned.

It goes without saying that I miss my cousin infinitely more than any watch, but the fact is this watch is very special. It was a gift from him to me (not to the light-fingered 'friend' that decided to gift it to themselves).

I know it is highly unlikely, but if anyone reading this has this watch (and I really do not care how you might have got it) I would be beyond grateful to get it back. No questions. I can't afford to purchase a 16710, but I would somehow find a way to compensate any loses.

Thanks for taking the time to read.
expy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 02:43 AM   #2
skipstar
"TRF" Member

Watch: My first, Sub Date
Good luck, this is both a great story and a sad story all in one. I hope somehow it works out for you.
skipstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 02:46 AM   #3
MONTANTK
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear about your cousin. I also grew up very close to my cousins so I can only imagine how much that watch means to you. I truly hope it finds its way back to you.
MONTANTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 03:08 AM   #4
emtee
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear about your cousin. There are some real scumbags in this world. Hope you get your watch back some day.
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 03:35 AM   #5
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Sorry to hear. Always tough to lose a loved one. Maybe the universe will deliver it back to you somehow.

Let it go, work hard, save up the money and buy one in memory of him.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 03:37 AM   #6
CactusTreeFiddy
"TRF" Member

sorry to hear about your cousin

I'll keep a lookout for the watch myself
CactusTreeFiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 04:30 AM   #7
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
That’s a pretty rough story. I’m sorry to hear about your cousin and obviously the loss of a much loved watch as well.
Old 28 August 2021, 04:40 AM   #8
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

This is a heartbreaking story. I've written down the serial and will keep an eye out. I'm so sorry for your loss and I hope that you can find peace.
DC116710LN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 04:41 AM   #9
RFC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1968 5513 Sub
Have you reported it stolen to Rolex and watch csa
https://watchcsa.com so that a red flag is triggered if it comes up for service or is sold?
RFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 05:17 AM   #10
OPY
"TRF" Member

I hope for the best.
OPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 05:22 AM   #11
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I am sorry to read. A sad story indeed. I can imagine how horrible it must feel to have something of both sentiment and monetary value stolen from you.

I hesitate to even ask, but how would you prove to RSC that it is your watch? Do you have receipts or any proof you were an owner?
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 05:24 AM   #12
expy2
"TRF" Member

Appreciate all the kind words. Thank you.
Old 28 August 2021, 05:26 AM   #13
expy2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
Have you reported it stolen to Rolex and watch csa
https://watchcsa.com so that a red flag is triggered if it comes up for service or is sold?
Yes, I have reported it stolen.
Old 28 August 2021, 05:39 AM   #14
expy2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
I am sorry to read. A sad story indeed. I can imagine how horrible it must feel to have something of both sentiment and monetary value stolen from you.

I hesitate to even ask, but how would you prove to RSC that it is your watch? Do you have receipts or any proof you were an owner?
Yeah, it wouldn't be so bad if not for the sentimental value. Don't get me wrong, it would still hurt, but not nearly as much.

I have box, papers and a receipt so proving ownership should be pretty easy.
Old 28 August 2021, 05:41 AM   #15
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by expy2 View Post
Yes, I have reported it stolen.

Hope it is eventually found!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 05:44 AM   #16
ks58
Banned

Sorry to hear and hopefully you find it.
ks58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 05:49 AM   #17
FL23833
"TRF" Member

Wow stealing from someone who just passed is sickening! RIP to your cousin.
FL23833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 06:28 AM   #18
Trek360
"TRF" Member

That’s a heartbreaking story. Thanks for sharing it here painful as it may be. Hope you can find peace with everything that has happened.
Trek360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 08:49 AM   #19
harvey
"TRF" Member

that was a tough read. i am sorry for your loss.

words fail me but I hope you are reunited with your watch soon.
harvey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 09:50 AM   #20
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post

Well said. Tough read.

OP, I’ll keep an eye on out. Hope it gets back to you.
Old 28 August 2021, 09:56 AM   #21
theflywrist
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Exactly how I felt.
I hope you are reunited with the watch OP, and RIP to your dear cousin.
theflywrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 11:22 AM   #22
SWS65SM

Watch: Rainbow....CasiOak
Quote:

Agree as well... Really sorry for the losses. Will take down the serial number and remind myself to check any 16710 that I should come across from this forward. Truly hope there is still a chance that the watch and you and reunite.
SWS65SM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 11:49 AM   #23
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I found your post very difficult to read, I can not imagine how terrible it must of been to loose your cousin and then such a special and sentimental piece. My heart goes out to you and sincerely hope you can recover your watch somehow.

Some people in this world are just real pieces of $#!the. And I certainly hope they get what they truly deserve for what they have done. Best of luck to you.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 12:36 PM   #24
Rafeeq
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 41
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss(es), Expy2. Thank you for letting us in, and I hope for the best for you.
Rafeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 01:13 PM   #25
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

who is the person that returned the watchbox? As far as I'm concerned that person can either pay for the stolen watch or reveal the circumstances of how it came to be in his possession, including who he got it from.
hambone1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 02:48 PM   #26
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Sad story, what some people are capable of ...
Good that you finally posted the details. That may help to get it back one day
Old 28 August 2021, 07:33 PM   #27
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
My first Rolex was stolen and uninsured so don’t beat yourself up about that, many of us have done it. More importantly I sincerely hope that you are reunited with your watch someday and that the scumbag who fingered it gets their comeuppance.
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 07:42 PM   #28
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Good move getting the serial public OP, it’ll help
♛ 116689 ♛ 218206 Roman ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Bronzo 671 & 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 08:55 PM   #29
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone1983 View Post
who is the person that returned the watchbox? As far as I'm concerned that person can either pay for the stolen watch or reveal the circumstances of how it came to be in his possession, including who he got it from.
I agree and assume the police have questioned him/her

OP, very sorry to hear about your cousin. It’s sad that there are people who will take advantage of others in times of trouble.

I hope one day you’re reunited with your watch.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 10:08 PM   #30
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone1983 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I agree and assume the police have questioned him/her

OP, very sorry to hear about your cousin. It’s sad that there are people who will take advantage of others in times of trouble.

I hope one day you’re reunited with your watch.
Yep. That would be where I would start. Good luck,
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote