The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 April 2017, 03:54 AM   #1
El-Duderino
"TRF" Member

Rolex in the Wild

Beautiful day outside so I decided to head over the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum to spend my lunch and enjoy the outdoors.

Grabbed a coffee in the cafeteria and the older volunteer working the register was rocking a new rose gold Day-Date. I wanted to say something, but since there were other people in the line, I didn't want to risk making him uncomfortable, so I said nothing.

I might head back for a refill just in case it isn't busy and tell him he made my day by wearing that watch. So awesome to see a random Rolex in the wild...especially one as stellar as the DD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
El-Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 04:06 AM   #2
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
You see Rolex's in some of the darnedest places. Checking in to the Body and Soul fitness center on Ungererstrasse and the fellow working the desk was wearing a SubC date!
I complimented him on his nice watch, he smiled and just said thanks. He appreciated the comment.
Old 22 April 2017, 05:12 AM   #3
El-Duderino
"TRF" Member

I had to stop back and pay him a compliment. Just said that as a watch enthusiast, seeing a DD out in the wild is a rare occurrence and that he made my day.

Being as this is Minnesota where the introverts stare at their shoes and the extroverts stare at yours, it might be the first time anyone has complimented him on his watch.

Old 22 April 2017, 06:35 AM   #4
cwieb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Duderino View Post
I had to stop back and pay him a compliment. Just said that as a watch enthusiast, seeing a DD out in the wild is a rare occurrence and that he made my day.

Being as this is Minnesota where the introverts stare at their shoes and the extroverts stare at yours, it might be the first time anyone has complimented him on his watch.

He's right, I do not see too many nice watches here in MN. When I travel to California, different story.
cwieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 07:01 AM   #5
pillboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Duderino View Post
Being as this is Minnesota where the introverts stare at their shoes and the extroverts stare at yours
Being a life long Minnesota resident, this made my day...never heard this saying before. However, I must confess that today was not the best of days to begin with. Thanks for the smile.
pillboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 07:05 AM   #6
HobokenRolex
2024 Pledge Member

I complemented a guy the other day in the grocery store line on his two tone Oysterquartz. He looked at me like he didn't know what I was talking about.
HobokenRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 07:10 AM   #7
Zanotti
"TRF" Member

I fly a lot and see many Rolex's on planes.

I quit talking to people about them, because 99% of the time the guy just mumbles 'my wife bought me that' and that is the end of conversation.

Was sitting at a poker table in Vegas once and some really young WIS looked around the table and called out every watch around. I was the only guy who noticed and smiled back.

Watch comments in the wild is a dangerous game....
Zanotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 07:56 AM   #8
El-Duderino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanotti View Post
I fly a lot and see many Rolex's on planes.

I quit talking to people about them, because 99% of the time the guy just mumbles 'my wife bought me that' and that is the end of conversation.

Was sitting at a poker table in Vegas once and some really young WIS looked around the table and called out every watch around. I was the only guy who noticed and smiled back.

Watch comments in the wild is a dangerous game....

True. I don't do it often for the reasons you mentioned. Really, there is no upside to it I just felt compelled today as a new rose gold DD40 told me this guy might be more than your typical Rolex wearer.

Old 22 April 2017, 08:07 AM   #9
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
It seems like most of the time I compliment someone's Rolex, they act as if they didn't even know they were wearing one.
c41006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 08:22 AM   #10
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Quote:
Originally Posted by c41006 View Post
It seems like most of the time I compliment someone's Rolex, they act as if they didn't even know they were wearing one.
X2. I have given up trying to strike up a conversation about watches when I spot a Rolex in the wild. The typical reaction has WTF written all over their faces.
Old Geezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 08:35 AM   #11
haven_seeker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 19018N OQ
It's a dangerous game because there are a ton of people out there who have no idea what's on their wrists.

Better to just watch (ha!) from afar and enjoy.
haven_seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 08:38 AM   #12
subking86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Rolex in the Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by c41006 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Geezer View Post
X2. I have given up trying to strike up a conversation about watches when I spot a Rolex in the wild. The typical reaction has WTF written all over their faces.

Same here! The only time I talk to people about watches these days are when they approach me. Which happens at my shop every once in a while. Usually "hey we have the same watch!" or "I want that watch so much! A couple more years..." I usually try to talk to the ones that say we're wearing the same watch, but 95% of the time, they say "my wife bought it for me." The other 5% of time, there's a story or a collector.

Edit: I talk to both groups of people that mention my watch. The ones that are wearing one usually have more to talk to about when it comes to watches. If not, we just go back to talking about boats.
subking86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 11:49 AM   #13
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Very cool. I also usually don't comment on other's watches, unless it's in private.
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 12:08 PM   #14
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
I was at a stop light next to a city bus and the driver was wearing a Sub date. That surprised me.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 12:39 PM   #15
fungo
"TRF" Member

Watch: all kinds
If some random dude came up to me, and start conversing about my Rolex, I would have that WTF look as well. It is either I'm about to get robbed, or the guy is a WIS. But assuming the worse, my defensive answer would be "yeah it is a fake or wife bought it at flea market."
fungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2017, 04:07 AM   #16
El-Duderino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillboy View Post
Being a life long Minnesota resident, this made my day...never heard this saying before. However, I must confess that today was not the best of days to begin with. Thanks for the smile.

Wish it was my line. I believe it is comedian Tim Bedore. Pretty funny dude.

Old 24 April 2017, 04:16 AM   #17
TitanCi
"TRF" Member

Saw a GMT Coke at Costco today, looked pristine.

The other day, saw an older guy sporting an AP ROO quartz. Thought it was fake, but was looking at the details of the screws and the gold bezel and noticed no fading or plating and how the screws were aligned perfectly.

Talked to him about it and said he said his wife saved up money to buy him that watch. Pretty cool

TitanCi is offline   Reply With Quote