The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: I'd choose a...
Rolex 22 81.48%
Panerai 5 18.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9 November 2005, 03:50 AM   #1
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Let's be honest about this one!!

Simple poll, guys.

With all this hype about Pannies and Rolex, which one would you choose and why?

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2005, 03:59 AM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well JJ thats a hard one,I like both brands,to be honest would choose
Rolex,why well just because its Rolex,its as simple as that.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2005, 04:00 AM   #3
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56
Well JJ thats a hard one,I like both brands,to be honest would choose
Rolex,why well just because its Rolex its as simple as that.
Fair answer, I guess Peter.

To be honest, Pannies do nothing for me, except for just one model: This is a chronograph model with 31 jewels and a hi-beat movement (36,000 A/hr.) on a superb SS/Ti. bracelet. Now that's the only one I love and admire.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!

Last edited by JJ Irani; 9 November 2005 at 04:02 AM..
Old 9 November 2005, 04:08 AM   #4
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
It wouldnt be fair for me to judge as I have not yet owned a Panny. I am deeply in love with the 112, and will get one one day.

I think this question is a little flawed since there are those that have never owned a panny will automatically choose their beloved Rolex, your answers for this poll will be biased.
RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2005, 04:11 AM   #5
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: What do you think?
I voted Rolex, not because I have never owned a Pannie (and I probably never will). I have tried them and they really do nothing for me. The only one I might even remotely consider is the GMT. I don't like the size or the style. I think the crown guard is pretentious. Other than that, they're nice watches.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2005, 04:12 AM   #6
molex
"TRF" Member

I've chosen Rolex over Panerai 8 times now.

In-house movement is the main reason for me. I have a simple list of things I want from a watch:

In-house production by a historically significant company that's still independent (not a member of or owned by a larger company or group). From what I've gathered, that means I can only collect these companies:
Patek, AP, JLC, VC, Rolex, Seiko, Zenith, Girard Perragaux. Fine by me!

For whatever reason, "companies" like Breguet irk me because.... well, that's not *really* Breguet, is it? The NAME is Breguet, but the company is owned by the Swatch group, so really when you buy a Breguet you're not buying a Breguet, you're buying a watch by a company that uses the name Breguet. History matters to me.

Splitting hairs, I know, but hey; it's MY $XXXX thousands of dollars I'm spending, so I guess I'll be as nit-picky as I please!

Last edited by molex; 9 November 2005 at 04:31 AM..
molex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2005, 04:12 AM   #7
Atomic

Panerai hands down, now that I've owned a Rolex.

Why? Because of the history behind Panerai (as a tool of war, the Gamma swimmers, the Pig); because they bring about emotion - you either love them or hate them, and I'm kinda that way too in life; because Rolex produce 1 million watches annually and Panerai makes only 35,000; because of straps; waterpruf to 300m; simple, uncluttered dial; lume that can light up a room.
Old 9 November 2005, 04:17 AM   #8
----

Hmmmm, errrr, neither?

I guess if you forced me to pick one, it would be a Rolex because all the Panerai's are far too big for me.
Old 9 November 2005, 04:20 AM   #9
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Hmmmm, errrr, neither?

I guess if you forced me to pick one, it would be a Rolex because all the Panerai's are far too big for me.
Al, check out the PAM62. It's 40mm, a Radiomir, WG... beautiful.
Old 9 November 2005, 04:25 AM   #10
BruceS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Well, I chose Rolex. 3 months ago it would've been Panerai, but only by a hair. I've resolved my feelings that got me out of Rolex and decided I don't give a shite what others think, I'll wear what I want!

I agree with everything Micah wrote. I owned a Breguet for a short time, and at first was so excited. Then as I read more, I found out just what Micah wrote....Breguet is only Breguet in name now. It's a reborn company under Swatch. Not the same prestige as it once had, like AP or Piaget or PP.

I still like Panerai, and we'll keep one, but one should've been the number all along. Panerai is no longer the real Panerai either. It's not Italian, it's Swiss under Richmont.

Rolex is Rolex. Same as it ever was
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2005, 05:13 AM   #11
Baptistman
"TRF" Member

Simple for me, I like the style of the Oyster case and the bracelet.
Actually, Molex response sums it up in a nutshell

Last edited by Baptistman; 9 November 2005 at 05:18 AM..
Baptistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2005, 06:20 AM   #12
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Go to a BMW site and post a poll as to which is more favored BMW or Mercedes, I wonder how the results will be?

BTW/ I did vote Panerai, I have owned every Rolex I desired, except for a PLT DD, that one is still on the dream list. The YM remains, and I don't forsee another Rolex in my future, other than said DD. There are still at least two Pannies that I would like to own one day.

Not sure it matters though, like Micah said, if I am crazy enough to spend xxxxx amount on a watch, the brand is only relevant to the person doing the buying.

Not sure the reason behind the poll, MHO.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2005, 06:29 AM   #13
BruceS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
Go to a BMW site and post a poll as to which is more favored BMW or Mercedes, I wonder how the results will be?

BTW/ I did vote Panerai, I have owned every Rolex I desired, except for a PLT DD, that one is still on the dream list. The YM remains, and I don't forsee another Rolex in my future, other than said DD. There are still at least two Pannies that I would like to own one day.

Not sure it matters though, like Micah said, if I am crazy enough to spend xxxxx amount on a watch, the brand is only relevant to the person doing the buying.

Not sure the reason behind the poll, MHO.
JJ's just having a paranoid day Daren LOL, yeah which one would you expect to "win" on a Rolex forum

Hey I didn't know you wanted a DD. Man, that is one elegant watch, but I think I would be afraid to wear it! Maybe one of my favourite Rolex ads is the one with Eric Clapton, dressed all casual wearing a Plt DD. Very very cool!
Old 9 November 2005, 06:34 AM   #14
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

That is my "ultimate" watch for sure. When I can afford to buy that one, I know I will be close to where I want to be. I think it is a beautiful watch and probably more a goal to shoot for more than anything else.

I think there is some confusion over some of my statements on here. I don't nor have I ever not liked Rolex, I am a Rolex defender. I have just run the gammit on their models and only found one that did it for me, the SS/PLT YM.

Old 9 November 2005, 06:41 AM   #15
BruceS
"TRF" Member

I never misunderstood Daren. You're probably where I was 9 months ago, except for somewhat different reasons. And even then, I defended Rolex. If I could've afforded it, I would've still owned, at least my Sub back then.

And, we'll probably never be without a Panerai. They are super fun to wear and very unique. One thing I do know now is that I'm comfortable with 2 watches. When I wear the OQ I miss my Explorer and vis versa. I think I could eventually go back up to 3 good ones (that are "mine"), but hey, I'm finally getting down to where I said I wanted to be a year ago!
Old 9 November 2005, 06:43 AM   #16
Atomic

Quote:
That is my "ultimate" watch for sure. When I can afford to buy that one, I know I will be close to where I want to be. I think it is a beautiful watch and probably more a goal to shoot for more than anything else.

That time I was in Royal de Versaille on Bloor Street with Rodolfo and we saw that platinum Day Date, prezzie bracelet and the sky blue dial...

WOW!

That is one watch that commands respect (and I'm not a DD or DJ fan). But I was pretty much blown away by that beauty (and the weight... impressive).
Old 9 November 2005, 06:53 AM   #17
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceS
I never misunderstood Daren. You're probably where I was 9 months ago, except for somewhat different reasons. And even then, I defended Rolex. If I could've afforded it, I would've still owned, at least my Sub back then.

And, we'll probably never be without a Panerai. They are super fun to wear and very unique. One thing I do know now is that I'm comfortable with 2 watches. When I wear the OQ I miss my Explorer and vis versa. I think I could eventually go back up to 3 good ones (that are "mine"), but hey, I'm finally getting down to where I said I wanted to be a year ago!
I agree 100% with you Bruce. I really like the fact that my Panerai watches are not everywhere, in fact they aren't anywhere. I like that they are different, same reason I love the YM.

I also like to have a small rotation, that just suits me well, so like you I am happy with a two or three rotation. Although I don't rotate much away from the Pannies, the 111 is getting some love today.

To a man who likes quotes, Bruce, "...if you are not trying to be better than the norm, you are bound to get lost in the herd..."

Old 9 November 2005, 06:54 AM   #18
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
That time I was in Royal de Versaille on Bloor Street with Rodolfo and we saw that platinum Day Date, prezzie bracelet and the sky blue dial...

WOW!

That is one watch that commands respect (and I'm not a DD or DJ fan). But I was pretty much blown away by that beauty (and the weight... impressive).
That is exactly how I feel about that watch. I am not a fan of the DD, DJ line, but that watch has a hold on me.

Old 9 November 2005, 07:07 AM   #19
molex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm so glad to see someone else with this attitude! I also consider a plat or wg DD to be my ultimate "goal" watch. I could probably sell my current collection and drum up enough to buy a DD similar to what I want, but that's not the point. The point is, the DD is more of a symbol to me than just a watch. Buying a Rolex at all is a symbol of kinds, to me the DD is the ultimate expression of that symbolism. There's other watches I'd wear more, and want worse, but as far as "achieving" something the DD is it.

That's also why I haven't bought a ss/plat YM yet: There's still a few more $3-$4k Rolexes I want, before I "graduate" to the YM. Again, I could shuffle a few things around and get a YM, but I'm not "there" yet, I don't feel like I "deserve" it yet. All in good time, no need to rush! LOL
molex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2005, 07:32 AM   #20
maverick
Banned

Watch: Rolex
As Molex pointed out there are many brands I would buy over a Pam. Especially since it was Stallone that revived them. To me it is has just become a fashion watch. You asked for an honest answer, I gave mine. No offense meant to anyone, JMO =) maverick
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2005, 07:57 AM   #21
mbogo

At this time, I do not like the styling of the Panerai. I'll stick with Rolex.

George
mbogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2005, 08:20 AM   #22
mailman
TRF Moderator & SUBMARINER 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
I voted Rolex. I've never worn a Pannie and think some of them are beautiful, overall I just like them better. Don't know if it's a fair assumption or not. I think Daren's 88 is absolutly beautiful.
Old 9 November 2005, 08:26 AM   #23
BruceS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's also why I haven't bought a ss/plat YM yet: There's still a few more $3-$4k Rolexes I want, before I "graduate" to the YM. Again, I could shuffle a few things around and get a YM, but I'm not "there" yet, I don't feel like I "deserve" it yet. All in good time, no need to rush! LOL
That's a really good point Micah. A watch like the Day/Date needs to be worn by someone who can just walk in and plunk down the cash for it and have plenty left over. It makes a statement of achievement, and I don't mean in a fluanting way. I would feel like a total fraud wearing a watch like that at this point in my life.

Last edited by BruceS; 9 November 2005 at 08:27 AM..
Old 9 November 2005, 10:06 AM   #24
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
ROLEX Why? Because this is a Rolex Forum! I really do like Rolex, my 1st love you know?
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2005, 10:31 AM   #25
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
It all comes down to a matter of personal tastes, I suppose - how do you argue to someone whose favourite colour is blue that red is better?

Personally, Panerai's designs simply do nothing for me, but I never get tired of looking at my SD.
Old 9 November 2005, 11:16 AM   #26
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

I'll be honest, this is the type of question you would probably only get on a Rolex forum, and that is honest.

Old 9 November 2005, 12:24 PM   #27
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
I have booth and will go with Rolex, I think the Panerai thing is a flash in the pan. My Rolex is much better built than the Panny and looks classier. Panerai has a good history but not the company that's going at present. The name has been bought and replica watches made and sold under the name. Now if we were talking vintage then it would have been a harder choice but I still think I would have picked Rolex.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2005, 12:26 PM   #28
baseballduck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Rolex. My reason: because I want one.

Tyler
Member #84
baseballduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2005, 12:29 PM   #29
pensivedoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken
It all comes down to a matter of personal tastes, I suppose - how do you argue to someone whose favourite colour is blue that red is better?

Personally, Panerai's designs simply do nothing for me, but I never get tired of looking at my SD.
Blue is better.
pensivedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2005, 05:14 PM   #30
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Thanks for all your replies, guys.

Daren, my friend, please don't misunderstand me. The only reason I posted this poll was 'cause I just couldn't come up with anything else at the time (i.e. this morning my time).

I figured (and was rather curious) that it would be a bit of fun and also interesting to see which watch won, especially since there are a number of Panny fans on this forum. Frankly, I expected a closer match between the votes.

Anyway, thanks for your votes and responses.

Cheers - JJ