The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 November 2005, 12:36 PM   #1
mikerlx
Banned

See Thru Casebacks down your throat!

Deleted as per mikerlx's request. Refer here.
mikerlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2005, 02:29 PM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerlx
I love watching ShopNBC watch shows. It is the hottest thing on shopping channels cuz I am a watch guy. Just about every watch has a see thru back. I never thought that was a big deal, but the envelope is pushed. I see ebay is selling see thru backs for the Datejust and President. Anyone like them?
Are you asking us if we like fakes?

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2005, 02:43 PM   #3
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
I love my see through back on my Panerai 111, I like the original solid caseback on the Yacht-Master and Pam 88.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2005, 03:07 PM   #4
mikerlx
Banned

Old 12 November 2005, 03:08 PM   #5
maverick
Banned

Watch: Rolex
See throughs

My first 'good' watch was a Bulova Accutron which had a see through face. I bought it (over a Rolex) when I was 19 y/o. It was 'the' watch at the time and I had it for many years until it was stolen. It sort of 'cured' me of see through cases. I cannot see myself saying to someone, "Wait, I what to show you the back of my watch." It is bad enough now. Once a watch is mentioned everyone just walks away from me. LOL =) maverick
BTW, If I had bought the Rolex it would be worth 10 times more than an Accurtron is now.
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2005, 03:09 PM   #6
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Hey Mike,

Sorry, but what you just said is totally uncalled for and an insult to the good name and reputation of Panerai.

I may not be a Panny fan myself, but I do admire their line-up and also their product and the finish of it. Comparing it with an Invicta is insulting a good timepiece.

Thanks - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!

Last edited by JJ Irani; 12 November 2005 at 03:55 PM..
Old 12 November 2005, 03:17 PM   #7
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Why do you guys like the Panerai??? Thats the ugliest watch I have ever seen. I think the Invicta (any model) looks way better. I don't care about price of the Panerai. that watch is hideous.
You are entitled to your feelings, the same way that I think every Tom, Dick and Harry owns a Sub and wants everyone to know about it. I like Panerai because they are different and I don't see them everywhere when I walk down the street, I am not a fan of being a follower, but whatever helps you sleep at night is good for you. I like that people that own Panerai watches don't feel the need to bash other brands. Call it big company insecurities or compensating for something else.

I also like the history of the watch, the fact that they were first only military issued. And the fact that only 35000 are produced every year, not a million. Basically my sig line says it all, and I guess you don't get it, and that is okay.

As for Invicta, I will pass on that subject, their quality says it all for me.

Old 12 November 2005, 03:19 PM   #8
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
Hey Mike,

Sorry, but what you just said is totally uncalled for and an insult to the good name and reputation of Panerai.

I may not be a Panny fan myself, but I do admire their line-up and also their product and the finish of it. Comparing it with an Invicta is insulting a good timepiece.

Maybe you'd like to "EDIT" and rephrase your post.

Thanks - JJ
JJ, I don't think the thread needs editing, it is HPO.

Old 12 November 2005, 03:41 PM   #9
molex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why do you guys like the Panerai??? Thats the ugliest watch I have ever seen. I think the Invicta (any model) looks way better. I don't care about price of the Panerai. that watch is hideous.
Once again proving: Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Even when they're wrong.
molex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2005, 03:49 PM   #10
maverick
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Hey, Invicta is a good brand

Invicta is a great watch. Just look at a Rolex catalogue and find a model you want. Then buy an Invicta that matches. LOL I am not a Pam fan but that is just personal preference. They are a good watch and so far above an Invicta you would need the Hubble telescope to see one.
That is my opinion. =) maverick
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2005, 05:17 PM   #11
Baptistman
"TRF" Member

A Pan is not hideous Mike, you just don't like it ....

Considering the see through back Rollies on e-bay are fakes, then liking is not really an option, and Rolex traditionally dont decorate their movements as some other manufacturers do, so its not worth seeing and not practical on a case construction such as an Oyster and everthing it stands for

Last edited by Baptistman; 12 November 2005 at 05:20 PM..
Baptistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2005, 05:54 PM   #12
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
I love my see through back on my Panerai 111, I like the original solid caseback on the Yacht-Master and Pam 88.
I like the Radiomir Black Seal Any other one would dwarf my wrist and the watch would look like an alarmclock on me.
Old 12 November 2005, 08:48 PM   #13
mailman
TRF Moderator & SUBMARINER 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
You are entitled to your feelings, the same way that I think every Tom, Dick and Harry owns a Sub and wants everyone to know about it.
What are you saying about me, punk? Everyone's entitled to their opinions but if you don't know much or in this case anything about a watch company's history then nothing should be said. I'm not a big Panny fan but I've never seen one in person or worn or held one. I can tell you this your 88 is an absoult beautiful watch. I am open minded about them. But to compare them to an Invicta blah. Just my thoughts.
Old 12 November 2005, 10:13 PM   #14
deryckb

Display backs and skeleton movements don't do much for me. The more I think about it the more I like the plain back on most of the Rolex models. It depends on whether you consider them as jewelry or primarily as that overused term 'tools'. I like nice tools.

I am not a fan of Panerai, but I think they are more appealing range compared to Invicta.
deryckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2005, 12:34 AM   #15
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:
This?

Old 13 November 2005, 02:17 AM   #16
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Looks a bit more like this.

Except this is from my old 112.

Old 13 November 2005, 04:55 PM   #17
mikerlx
Banned

Old 13 November 2005, 05:43 PM   #18
molex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I just like the Swiss Invicta models with eta.
Uhm, actually, I think what you like are the watches that Invicta is ripping off. The Invicta's themselves are just shameless imitations of much (MUCH) better watches, there's nothing to like about them: They're the cheapest possible materials wrapped around a decent movement, all bundled up to look like a watch you recognize because of the success of a different brand alltogether. If you like the way they look, that's fine, but don't make it sound like Invicta came up with those styles.

All Invicta does is produce a cheap line of watches that are flat out copies of actual significant timepieces, and then throw into their mix a bizzare array of goofy watches that are meant to be fashion pieces, nothing more.

You've read up on Panerai? Then you know: Regardless of whether or not you like their designs, you have to admit they have a standing history in the watch world, are a respected member of horology, and produce high-quality watches of substance. Invicta, OTOH, is a home shopping network brand, that's it.
Old 14 November 2005, 12:20 AM   #19
mikerlx
Banned

Your right

Old 14 November 2005, 03:36 AM   #20
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
I didn't know thats what Invicta was all about. I just enjoy seeing watches displayed on tv. I guess I have alot to learn as far as all the other significant brands there are in the world that invicta copies. I obviously knew they copied the Rolex models and the Ocan Ghost I and II have an uncanny resemblence to the YM and are best sellers. I just looked at there imitation as a nice looking watch for a reasonable price. You must admit that if you are wanting to get your feet wet in buying a decent basic watch at a reasonable price then it would be better than a flat out replica LOL. However, I must give Pan the respect its due. It is one of the best quality watches on earth.
Yes, Mike, that one part of your statement does make sense. An Invicta, with all due respect, is at least NOT a fake....it's just a knock-off on better brands and affordable if you don't have the funds for a Rolex or high-end Swiss watches.

Last edited by JJ Irani; 14 November 2005 at 03:36 AM..
Old 14 November 2005, 07:53 AM   #21
mikerlx
Banned

Affordability?? Largest collection

Old 14 November 2005, 10:19 AM   #22
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
There is a guy in the midwest with the largest collection of Invicta, and he got media attention.
Kinda like getting attention for having a third eye.

Old 14 November 2005, 12:22 PM   #23
mikerlx
Banned

Old 14 November 2005, 04:02 PM   #24
molex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You must admit that if you are wanting to get your feet wet in buying a decent basic watch at a reasonable price then it would be better than a flat out replica LOL.
I agree with this statement so much that, in fact, it's exactly what I did: My first-ever mechanical watch was the Invicta Yachtmaster knockoff, not the Ocean Ghost, earlier than that. My second mech watch was the Invicta skeleton. Exactly like you said, I wanted to get my feet wet without spending a fortune. I should have bought a few Seiko's instead, but back then I was just as ignorant as I am today

So, you can see, I know how bad their watches are, I've owned a couple
Old 14 November 2005, 04:47 PM   #25
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Dunno - there's just something so wrong about it. If I wasn't ready to get a Rolex, I would (and have) gone for Seiko instead - they've earned themselves some credit by establishing their own identity.
Old 15 November 2005, 12:30 AM   #26
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
mikerlx, if you want to see what collections others have, may I suggest your go to the search button and and do a search on collections rather then as for everyone to re-post pictures. Could you show us your collection? If you have already posted pictures of it, then my apologies
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2005, 01:15 AM   #27
NoVaWatchLvr
Banned

My 2 cents worth?

Stop bashing other peoples preferences. I do not care for Pannies myself. They are not for me, however there is a lot of history, build quality and interesting design going on there.

And as far as the watch fund goes, I am assuming you are tounnge in cheek. If not please refrain and buy your Rolex the way othere here have, through sweat, savings ect......
NoVaWatchLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2005, 02:37 AM   #28
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaWatchLvr
My 2 cents worth?

Stop bashing other peoples preferences. I do not care for Pannies myself. They are not for me, however there is a lot of history, build quality and interesting design going on there.

And as far as the watch fund goes, I am assuming you are tounnge in cheek. If not please refrain and buy your Rolex the way othere here have, through sweat, savings ect......
Hello NoVaWatchLvr and welcome to TRF. I have a Panny and I only wear it occasionally but all of a sudden I wear again and like it. That's the beauty of owning Panerai Rolex, you get to change as your mood takes you. I do think the original post is tongue in cheek, it won't be taken serious if it's not.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2005, 02:42 AM   #29
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
My 2 cents worth?

WatchLvr, welcome to TRF, hope you are able to stop by often and visit mate.

Old 15 November 2005, 03:02 AM   #30
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
My 2 cents worth?

Hi pal,

Now that's what I call a dramatic entrance. Welcome to TRF...hmmmm....could we have a first name or at least a shorter name please? Thanks!!

Cheers and enjoy your stay on this forum.

JJ