The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 December 2006, 03:40 PM   #1
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
Book Idea

I have a good idea for a Rolex Book. Seems several books already on history of Rolex watches, vintage, etc..

I would like to see a book all about Military Rolex watches. Photos and testimonies of military personnel using Rolex watches. Would make a really interesting book! Having a Rolex watch has always kind of been a reward to oneself and staple in the military Special Operations community.
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2006, 04:07 PM   #2
C.J.
"TRF" Member

This is close
http://www.amazon.com/Concise-Guide-.../dp/186126304X
Old 25 December 2006, 04:33 PM   #3
DIVER4USN
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660
I hate to disappoint, but as you know, I am a Navy Diver and I do own a SD. Here comes the pathetic part... The only time I would dive with this watch on is in Sat diving. The diving I have done historically involves a hell of a lot of banging around, digging in mud/silt/sand/wrecked sikorsky helicopters and inside submarine ballast tanks. The nicest thing I will do this kind of diving with is my new MKII MMT Blackwater from Bill Yao (totally utilitarian).

Not to start a sob story but I grew up poor as dirt and this watch cost more than my first 5 automobiles...Once again Merry Christmas!
DIVER4USN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2006, 08:10 PM   #4
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
I spent 11 years in SOCOM, I think that is why my first Rolex only lasted about 4 years. That may not want to be what Rolex wants to portray as far as watches in the .mil community.
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2006, 09:27 PM   #5
leopardprey
Banned

I have known many fellow soldiers within the Special Operations community who have been wearing the same Rolex for years on end, without servicing and though beat up still runs great. One has a SUB he bought back in 1992, the other has a GMT he bought in the mid 80s, another a Sub he bought in 1996. Another one of my Team Leaders wore his Rolex for several years while on SEAL team Dev Group and it is still going. All have been through a lot.

There was a good post a while back about a soldier who took his Explorer 1 through Ranger school back in 1976, and it came through the challenge. Being a Ranger School grad myself, I would have to say that is the ultimate test for a watch.

I personnally wore a Casio G Shock when I went to Ranger School and of course that watch is indestructable and cost less than $100, but there is some class to a Rolex.

I plan on beating the hell out my Rolex and taking it to the limits with me on all my future travels, work and adventures. To me the Rolex watch is a tool, an expensive tool, but I bought it to use.
Old 25 December 2006, 09:30 PM   #6
astcell
"TRF" Member

My first Rolex was only an Oyster Perpetual Date. Back then a Submariner was way out of my league.
Old 25 December 2006, 09:40 PM   #7
leopardprey
Banned

I like the simplicity of the Oyster Dates as well. A great looking watch.

One of my former college professors, had a Rolex Explorer 1 he bought in 1969and wore for 2 tours in Vietnam as a MI officer. He was still wearing it when I had him as a professor in 1997. I remember asking him about it "Hey, is that a Rolex?" His reply was that many officers at that time bought Rolex watches. Kind of a intersting note about this professor, who me being a veteran as well thus he was my favorite professor, after Vietnam he returned to complete his Masters and PHd in Soil Science. Then stayed in the reserves until retiring as a LTC. He now is president of my home town American Legion. Kind of interesting, as he was outprocessing Vietnam he got to talking for just a few minutes with one of the Vietnamese secretaries at Command HQ. Got her address. When he got back to the US started writing her and 2 years later in 1973 brought her over to the USA on a Fiance Visa a they got married. He had only actually met her face to face for those few minutes before! Well they have been married happily ever since and produced 2 wonderful daughters who just recentely graduated with degrees in Pharmacy. (Don't know if he ever had his Rolex serviced or not).

See what I am getting at: All these little stories, with some photos would make a great book!
Old 25 December 2006, 09:49 PM   #8
astcell
"TRF" Member

Or a great website! That way people can add to it as they buy Rolexes.