The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 24 October 2023, 01:32 PM   #1
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Purchasing First Patek

I've got my name down with a Patek AD. They're in another state, but they serve my territory. I have about a $27k +/- purchase history at the AD's location that's by me but doesn't care Patek. Not inconsequential amount, but nowhere near the biggest fish. Probably in the upper-small category and optimistically a pretty low-medium.

Anyway, a couple weeks ago I put my name down for various Aquanaut and Nautilus models. We made a good amount of small talk, and he offered his cell and wanted mine, too. The contact was very friendly, potentially the manager of the Patek section, and said multiple times he was going to do his best to get me one. He wouldn't give a timeline, but I almost feel like he said I'd be next. Not sure if that was smoke blowing, but it would be mind blowing if I did get a call soon. It would be my first Patek.

That being said, he didn't say anything about having to buy a bunch of stuff I don't want or some bad seller Pateks to get the watch I really want. I've heard/read recently a few ADs saying you have to have something like 3-4 "less desirable" pieces before you could be considered for the popular models--and even that would come with a multi-year wait.

How insane would it be for me to get lucky and land a 5712A or 5164A without jumping through hoops in today's world? Does it sound like he was being friendly and letting me down easily? Because now I have my hopes up when I may shouldn't.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2023, 03:53 PM   #2
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post
I've got my name down with a Patek AD. They're in another state, but they serve my territory. I have about a $27k +/- purchase history at the AD's location that's by me but doesn't care Patek. Not inconsequential amount, but nowhere near the biggest fish. Probably in the upper-small category and optimistically a pretty low-medium.

Anyway, a couple weeks ago I put my name down for various Aquanaut and Nautilus models. We made a good amount of small talk, and he offered his cell and wanted mine, too. The contact was very friendly, potentially the manager of the Patek section, and said multiple times he was going to do his best to get me one. He wouldn't give a timeline, but I almost feel like he said I'd be next. Not sure if that was smoke blowing, but it would be mind blowing if I did get a call soon. It would be my first Patek.

That being said, he didn't say anything about having to buy a bunch of stuff I don't want or some bad seller Pateks to get the watch I really want. I've heard/read recently a few ADs saying you have to have something like 3-4 "less desirable" pieces before you could be considered for the popular models--and even that would come with a multi-year wait.

How insane would it be for me to get lucky and land a 5712A or 5164A without jumping through hoops in today's world? Does it sound like he was being friendly and letting me down easily? Because now I have my hopes up when I may shouldn't.
No Patek AD should ask you to buy anything other than the piece you want, it happens but is frowned upon by Patek. As to you jumping the queue, good luck with that - it is possible so keep your fingers crossed.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2023, 06:00 PM   #3
byow
"TRF" Member

That is a fact that the Salons encourage people to « explore the brand » by acquiring several timepieces before selling them the « sport models ». Since the Geneva Salon is an emanation of the Manufacture, I have a very hard time imagining that PP really frowns upon such behavior.

With that said, it happens more frequently than people would imagine that « first-time » buyers have immediate access to « sport models », without any wait sometimes.

I cannot say whether this will be the case for the OP.
byow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2023, 06:29 PM   #4
norcalgt3
"TRF" Member

it happens but is rare. wouldn't get hopes up
norcalgt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 04:42 PM   #5
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Wanted to update that I checked back in with the AD, and they asked me for my top 3 or 5 watches in order of preference. They said they're very hopeful to get me one by June to celebrate a couple of special occasions, but seemed to not want me to get my hopes up too high for a 5712. In order of preference, I told them: 5712, 5167, 5726, 5698, and 5164 if any roll in after discontinuation. It was tempting to put a 5168 blue on there, but don't want to waste my shot on a watch I don't think I'd enjoy as much as the others, as I imagine after they sell me one of the tough allocation models I won't be offered another for a long time.

Sounds like there MAY be hope for us little guys out there!
Old 4 February 2024, 06:51 PM   #6
norcalgt3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wanted to update that I checked back in with the AD, and they asked me for my top 3 or 5 watches in order of preference. They said they're very hopeful to get me one by June to celebrate a couple of special occasions, but seemed to not want me to get my hopes up too high for a 5712. In order of preference, I told them: 5712, 5167, 5726, 5698, and 5164 if any roll in after discontinuation. It was tempting to put a 5168 blue on there, but don't want to waste my shot on a watch I don't think I'd enjoy as much as the others, as I imagine after they sell me one of the tough allocation models I won't be offered another for a long time.

May is the key word here
Old 4 February 2024, 07:00 PM   #7
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

Quote:

If you manage to pull one of these Kudos .

Let me tell you I have a spent nearly 450k USD with my AD and he informed me clearly I have zero chance of getting neither Aqua or Nautilus

salnuaimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 07:24 PM   #8
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salnuaimi View Post
If you manage to pull one of these Kudos .

Let me tell you I have a spent nearly 450k USD with my AD and he informed me clearly I have zero chance of getting neither Aqua or Nautilus

To be fair dubai is the worst place in the world to get a nautilus or aquanaut at retail.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 07:40 PM   #9
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doyle View Post
to be fair dubai is the worst place in the world to get a nautilus or aquanaut at retail.
100%
salnuaimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 10:53 PM   #10
mjolnir2thor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5226G & 5513(1963)
Let me begin by saying it is possible but, unfortuneatly highly unlikely. If you get the call from the AD, jump on right away and consider yourself VERY fortunate. Having said that, there are other recent posts/experiences on the forum in regard to wait times and dealing with ADs… mine included. I ended up going with a 3rd party reseller that I worked with before.

Wish you the best of luck with your purchase adventure.
mjolnir2thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 11:19 PM   #11
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

Best of luck to you. Never you anything you don't really want!
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 01:05 AM   #12
Gelateria
"TRF" Member

not sure if they're trolling you or there is indeed free lunch in this world lol
Gelateria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 01:29 AM   #13
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

Good luck, but I think the 3-4 preferred pieces was a sign. Had you mentioned a 5227 in the mix, you'd get offered that one quick. As it stands, you've only mentioned pieces where the market value vastly exceeds the MSRP. It could happen, but there's no reason to expect your AD to gift you 10s of thousands of dollars in value given your purchase history (no offense, but a $27K purchase history is relative peanuts).
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 02:02 AM   #14
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalsigns View Post
Good luck, but I think the 3-4 preferred pieces was a sign. Had you mentioned a 5227 in the mix, you'd get offered that one quick. As it stands, you've only mentioned pieces where the market value vastly exceeds the MSRP. It could happen, but there's no reason to expect your AD to gift you 10s of thousands of dollars in value given your purchase history (no offense, but a $27K purchase history is relative peanuts).
Their asking for 3-5 pieces isn’t really any negative telling sign. What would’ve been a sign is a vague, “We have your list and hope to get you one, one day.” Rather than what happened which was a, “Which do 3-5 you prefer in order,” and “You’ve been on the list a while, and I really want to get you something soon.” Then when I asked if it was likely to get it by June, I was told he was “very hopeful,” although couldn’t fully guarantee.

If I’m probably not going to get something offered any time soon, I would think they would’ve just politely blown me off. I told him I was really getting my hopes up, and he didn’t start to dial it back.
Old 5 February 2024, 02:24 AM   #15
Bmats
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Did you ask only for the steel versions of the aquanaut models that come in precious metal? Hopefully something will happen, but those are all hard pieces to get—particularly when talking about the stainless steel models.
Bmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 02:49 AM   #16
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmats View Post
Did you ask only for the steel versions of the aquanaut models that come in precious metal? Hopefully something will happen, but those are all hard pieces to get—particularly when talking about the stainless steel models.
All steel. I considered re-adding the 5168 in blue, but he did ask for my top 5, so that's what I gave him!
Old 5 February 2024, 02:57 AM   #17
Bmats

Quote:
All steel. I considered re-adding the 5168 in blue, but he did ask for my top 5, so that's what I gave him!
Good luck. I’m guess not going to happen and they were wondering if your top 5 had something like a Calatrava or complications. But never know I suppose, and maybe it’s just all going to work out for you. Precious metal is a little easier — I got a 5168G as a first Patek from the AD but my spend was at that particular store and a little higher (but not order of magnitudes) than yours.

You’re down to four now with the 5164a being discontinued.
Old 5 February 2024, 03:12 AM   #18
norcalgt3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Their asking for 3-5 pieces isn’t really any negative telling sign. What would’ve been a sign is a vague, “We have your list and hope to get you one, one day.” Rather than what happened which was a, “Which do 3-5 you prefer in order,” and “You’ve been on the list a while, and I really want to get you something soon.” Then when I asked if it was likely to get it by June, I was told he was “very hopeful,” although couldn’t fully guarantee.

If I’m probably not going to get something offered any time soon, I would think they would’ve just politely blown me off. I told him I was really getting my hopes up, and he didn’t start to dial it back.
it sounds like you’re getting your hopes up
Old 5 February 2024, 03:21 AM   #19
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good luck. I’m guess not going to happen and they were wondering if your top 5 had something like a Calatrava or complications. But never know I suppose, and maybe it’s just all going to work out for you. Precious metal is a little easier — I got a 5168G as a first Patek from the AD but my spend was at that particular store and a little higher (but not order of magnitudes) than yours.

You’re down to four now with the 5164a being discontinued.
My list previously didn't have any complications or Calatrava models. So, nothing new there.

5164a I thought a few more may slip in the next few months, so I left it on there.

Which 5168G color way did you get?
Old 5 February 2024, 03:37 AM   #20
Jmaguire17
"TRF" Member

Based on my own experience and many others, 6 figure spend across multiple different lines, then Aquanaut and after 200k+, Nautilus...you may be the lucky few but in that situation, the AD may be investing you for future purchases
Jmaguire17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 04:42 AM   #21
Bmats

Quote:
My list previously didn't have any complications or Calatrava models. So, nothing new there.

5164a I thought a few more may slip in the next few months, so I left it on there.

Which 5168G color way did you get?
My guess is those remaining 5164s that might trickle in will be impossible. The discontinuation of a hard to get model in steel will make any additional ones even more in demand.

I got blue.

I wouldn’t buy what you don’t want and it sounds like you don’t like the 5168. And if all you want are those steel ones then no harm in waiting. Just may end up you need to go grey if you want in June. But awesome if I’m wrong.
Old 5 February 2024, 05:29 AM   #22
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My guess is those remaining 5164s that might trickle in will be impossible. The discontinuation of a hard to get model in steel will make any additional ones even more in demand.

I got blue.

I wouldn’t buy what you don’t want and it sounds like you don’t like the 5168. And if all you want are those steel ones then no harm in waiting. Just may end up you need to go grey if you want in June. But awesome if I’m wrong.
I wouldn't mind the 5168 necessarily! In fact I like it better than the 5167, but would rather pay way less for a very similar look.

It sounds like, though, if I add the 5168 to my list--if I get offered anything, it would be that. So, I'm going to hold off for now adding it.