The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 19 July 2011, 11:02 PM   #1
stevemulholland3
Banned

Watch: 1680 18k sub
I must vent about Ebay..

I will tell you guys what..I thought we made a real dent in the amount the fake Rolex (s) & parts..But one thing is for sure..
over the last 6 to 8 months I have recieved more fake watches/parts from Ebay then all of my years prior combined!
Also to add insult to injury..on the two cases where the full sets had the wrong papers Ebay sided with the sellers both times!!
I paid at least 3k over standard price because of the fact that the watch was a set and had papers..but ebay doesnt feel that I have taken any type of "real" loss..So long as the watch isnt fake,then virtually anything else they will decide to rule in the sellers favor..
I have countless stories just like those..
one seller who took photos to deliberately make the watch look like gold
(the reference was an old one that is the same number for the gold version and the stainless version)
it was a buy it now,so i really didnt have time to sewnd him emails and the like..
if I didnt have the IWJG shows to get most of my stock from I would quite litterally go bankrupt!!
I am thouroghly disgusted..by the sellers and mostly by Ebay..
one guy sold me a blatantly fake Pam for over 6k..Now remeber..I regularly write letters of authenticity (or lack there-of)as an experienced and qualified proffesional dealer for many of our members who receive countertfiet
watches so they can get their money back..But I geuss I am not qualified to determine if a watch is fake if I bought it!..lol
So I had 3 days to find a local Panerai expert )few and far between fiolks!!)
and then once I did that it still took an amazing 4 1/2 months to get my money bAck!
well,I have to get back to work..if I have time later I will post a few more outrageous stories that happend to me on ebay in the last few months..you honestly will not believe a couple!
stevemulholland3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2011, 11:09 PM   #2
rolexpawn
Banned

Watch: my Rolex(s)
I also have also seen a rise in fake Rolex items polluting Ebay, from some sellers who have good feedback. Some are taking authentic Rolex items and mixing them in with fake parts, and the prices are going way up for Rolex items.
rolexpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2011, 12:16 AM   #3
TempoKing
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Steve I am sorry to hear of your troubles.

30 years ago I was looking to buy rare Rolex vintage references and I could
not even find one watch available for sale.

In the past 15 years all self appointed "dealers" have had many seriously rare
Rolex watches available - selling...for eye-popping "extraterrestrial" prices.

In my opinion more than 90% of vintage Rolex watches available right now
are home made "Frankensteins" ...and I agree with you... many are down right fakes.

I have also enjoyed your special expressions and writing style.
Your buddy
Tempo
TempoKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2011, 12:26 AM   #4
johnbeth
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on mood.
Steve I am a newbie to ebay and on my first deal I got burned! I complained to paypayl and ebay and the seller quickly gave me my money back for an item he would not ship as he changed the shipping price to be more then the item was worth.

I feel for you mate and not to worry, this whole experience even though nasty, it has made you more cautious and wiser.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

John
johnbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2011, 10:35 PM   #5
mboverst
"TRF" Member

I feel your pain, i used to pick up the spare piece here and there on eBay, but now it's not even worth it. Over the past couple of months I've been 'bait and switched' twice. Perfect Panerai's with box/papers purchased and I received a $10 Chinese paperweight. Now I'm almost 100% from IWJG and other dealers as the risk/reward/headache just isn't there.

Give me a shout at the next show and we'll grab a beer!
mboverst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2011, 10:58 PM   #6
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513s
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemulholland3 View Post
I must vent about Ebay..
A lot of us have been scammed on ebay and on the internet in general. It would appear that the fakes, scams and counterfeits have been increasing exponentially over the last couple of years. Very hard to police or stop.

Steve, as you know I have also been a victim....

That is one reason why I spend so much time here on TRF "wreaking revenge" on the scammers and trying to make ebay a little safer for all of us.

please, to all, always be vigilant and do your due diligence........
mcjp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2011, 01:25 AM   #7
robertneville
"TRF" Member

Watch: me burn
i recently read somewhere that estimates 80% of all brand name goods on ebay are fakes.

Motocross is life!
robertneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2011, 10:51 AM   #8
nch209
"TRF" Member

So sorry to hear steve. eBay is a vast wasteland of fakes and scammers... A real shame and it is set up for the thieves! Keep fighting!!!
Old 22 July 2011, 06:59 PM   #9
Palakiko
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
Good thing I just signed up for this forum. Because Im in the market for a Rolex and was looking on of course...Ebay. Mainly because of the attractive prices.

Now I have been looking at the "for sale" section here. What do you guys think of them being sold here. I am aware of the bias answers I would get back as this is the forum and you guys are part of it...haha
Palakiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2011, 08:43 PM   #10
aussiewatchnut

Watch: PO, 20000ft Diver
For someone like me who knows very little about prestige watches, buying off somewhere like eBay seems like a risk not worth taking. I'm definitely going to be purchasing of the sales board here from one of the trusted sellers when I finally decide on the watch I want. Thanks everyone for a great site which I believe has probably saved me future heartache and my hard earned cash.
aussiewatchnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2011, 08:43 PM   #11
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palakiko View Post
Now I have been looking at the "for sale" section here. What do you guys think of them being sold here. I am aware of the bias answers I would get back as this is the forum and you guys are part of it...haha
I don't think that you will get biased answers.

There are some excellent sellers on TRF and unfortunately on the down side there have been some scams perpetrated here.

As always do your due diligence, check out the seller, ask questions here, visit the "who's who" part of the forum and you should be OK. Number one tip always ask before buying on line - you will receive varied advice and hopefully mostly good advice. Good luck....
mcjp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2011, 09:23 PM   #12
Palakiko
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjp6 View Post
I don't think that you will get biased answers.

There are some excellent sellers on TRF and unfortunately on the down side there have been some scams perpetrated here.

As always do your due diligence, check out the seller, ask questions here, visit the "who's who" part of the forum and you should be OK. Number one tip always ask before buying on line - you will receive varied advice and hopefully mostly good advice. Good luck....

Especially from you michael. THANK YOU. This is the 2nd time already you have given me advice. And I only joined about 2 - 3 hours ago. BOY What a great forum. This wasnt how it was when I was purchasing my A/V equipment on AVSforum.com
Palakiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2011, 07:56 AM   #13
stevemulholland3
Banned

Watch: 1680 18k sub
Thanks so Tempo King!
in my book you indeed ARE a king!..lol
seriously my friend..your a gold nugget in a bucket of shale!
Now,as far as I am concerned,we as a digital society will in time mold and shape the paradigm of Digital global commerce into a much more friendly "small-town" concept.
In many aspects the for sale section here on our own forum is the prima facie
entity that will incompass this more localized yet ultra global trade quintessence we are in fact already using (without quantifying that it in reality is a different beast altoghether.)
How many people on ebay would send someone 100k plus that theyhave never even personally spoken with?..I have done several deals (as buyer and seller in fact) with forum members this year alone withjout ever once talking to any of them!
its the small structures of clique's encompassing and interlocking an ever-evolving community of real user's,collectors,dealers,watchmakers,looky-loo's and the group that is the most un-aknowledged,yet is in truth the largest contributer of new members..the Rolex-less "fan" of Rolex watches who have wanted one for years..i would say a large percentage of first time Rolex buyers caught the bug by participating in one of the hundreds of Rolex community forums around the world.
I would chance to say that these forum markets could boast a 90% or higher safe deal rating..in fact there are countless mpeople I know of wjo have bought or sold litterally hundred of watches the last couple of years and never had even a drop of dishonesty happen..this is the main reason I decided that these market settings are the only way I would sell super high end watches..So yes..I geuss I am biased a little..lol..Oh well..
I have spent way too much time away from my bench!!must get back to work!
stevemulholland3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2011, 10:02 AM   #14
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

I've bought a number of items on eBay, mostly silver coins that are graded professionally by certain grading companies, and never have been burned. But I would never buy a watch from anyone on eBay, 100% feedback doesn't matter to me when it comes to watches
Old 24 July 2011, 04:26 AM   #15
drsteven
"TRF" Member

I got the problem with fake eBay stuff, but if we ignore that for a moment, where is the best place to sell a fully factory serviced Rolex, eBay or this forum?
drsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2011, 04:33 AM   #16
Explorer 2011
"TRF" Member

Watch: Searching
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsteven View Post
I got the problem with fake eBay stuff, but if we ignore that for a moment, where is the best place to sell a fully factory serviced Rolex, eBay or this forum?
At the AD probably...
Explorer 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2011, 01:24 PM   #17
Eric88
"TRF" Member

That sucks that watches and watch parts are so easily faked. I've been buying and selling very high end musical instruments on eBay since 1999 and have not once had a single problem aside from a couple of slow delivery problems with global purchases.
Eric88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2011, 01:00 AM   #18
Puffy
"TRF" Member

only ever bought stuff from eBay when i've been able to research the selling outfit outside of eBay...
Old 30 July 2011, 03:23 AM   #19
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
You guys think there are a lot of fake Rolexes on eBay, you should see the fake coins...

Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2011, 08:04 AM   #20
chiko323
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
I bought a fake Louis Vuitton Wallet on eBay last year. Now I avoid anything over 100 bucks from them.
chiko323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2011, 01:39 AM   #21
Nicekettle
"TRF" Member

Watch: kettle never boils
I have traded on Ebay (not watches) pretty much since it started out.For me the experience has been slowly declining.I have had a 100% positive reputation until recently when Ebay sided with an unreasonable buyer and I would not back down to the clown.I have sullied my own reputation I guess - but I believe in honesty and principle.This is my first post on here and I have seen reputed trusted sellers and commentators here selling on Ebay.I also see reputed scammers linked as friends/references to trusted sellers on web sites.It really is a case of doing your own due dilligence I guess and not trusting anyone when parting with considerable amounts of cash in shark infested waters.IMO Cross reference every seller/buyer you deal with on multiple forums before commiting.Reading about how hard it is to spot some of the fake Pams out there gives me little reasurances when I see a complete set for sale.
Plastic cards,papers and fancy boxes are the least of a counterfeighters worries and also seem to be available on the internet.I hope I'm able to post in the future with possitive experiences and continue to enjoy this forum.
Nicekettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2011, 01:33 PM   #22
Ebruner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numismatist View Post
You guys think there are a lot of fake Rolexes on eBay, you should see the fake coins...

2 out of 3 loose US gold coins on Ebay are fake. Fake US gold is everywhere. Fake common dates unc Morgans, Fake Trade dollars. It's out of control.

-Eddie
Old 9 November 2011, 01:34 PM   #23
blama215
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUB C 116610LN
Ebay is full of fakes and scammers now. I have been a buyer and seller since 1999 and it was great place to buy and sell years ago, however I have been scammed as both a buyer and seller and I have given up on EBAY.

ROLEX 116610LN
SMP 2254.50.00
ROLEX DateJust 16234
Aqua Terra 231.10.42.21.02.001
Aqua Terra 25773000 (wifes)
Breitling A1736006
blama215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2011, 02:34 PM   #24
sherwin
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately, unless i can see the item in person, pick it up in person and pay with cash once its all good, i refuse to bid on it.

Recently there was a 116519 (to me looked decent) but i just didnt have the confidence of buying it when im not looking at the item in person
Old 9 November 2011, 05:55 PM   #25
Jonathan007
"TRF" Member

Watch: #296
Buy the seller.
Old 10 November 2011, 12:43 PM   #26
cajunron
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
A $150 dollar Seiko on ebay is one thing, but a $7000 dollar Rolex watch? No way in hell am I going to risk losing that kind of bread to someone I don't know. My watch deals will be made right here with members I know and trust.
cajunron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2011, 01:44 PM   #27
jetlaghawaii

Watch: GMT2-C 116710
I've contacted sellers before on Ebay and offered to go 50/50 on using an escrow service. Worked out great and it's how I bought my white gold DD and GMT-C. It allows you to check the watch out before releasing the money.
jetlaghawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2011, 11:28 PM   #28
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

eBay...

-as a seller, I was burned by an African man for a video card. This was one of my first PayPal deals and never saw the money or card again.
-as a buyer, I bought a fake PAM 111 but got my money back even before he shipped it thanks to members on panersiti.com.

Watchuseek...

-as a buyer, I purchased a 16800 with a counterfeit case. I mean this case was perfect... good thing, I went to RSC to get it serviced, and there, they told me this watch was fitted with a replica case. I told the original seller and he didn't even know. I got my money back as I shipped it back to him.

My personal opinion on all of this...

If you're going to buy/sell online, there's ALWAYS a risk. Whether you're dealing with a fake watch, scammer, or shipping theft; the risk is ALWAYS there.
xjeeunitx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2011, 12:00 AM   #29
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
heres a thought , if you bought on e bay in the states from the uk , pay for the cash transfer , pay the import duty and pay the pay pal fee , it actually works out cheaper on anything over 5k to buy a ticket and get on the plane.
crazy world.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2011, 03:28 AM   #30
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

I am with you Steve it a dangerous place to buy and worse to sell on