The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 22 August 2016, 11:20 AM   #1
lswoboda
"TRF" Member

Rolex DD for a 5127? Pros and cons?

I'm interested in a PP 5127 (R or J) and I would likely trade my Rolex DD toward the PP.

I understand they're different watches, but is this a good idea?

I've seen service times on Pateks taking up to 17 months and people worrying about wearing them regularly. I'd expect mine to be (mostly) a daily wear watch. Is this crazy? Rolexes can be serviced fairly easily and quickly and they're not generally regarded as safe queen watches.

Again, I know they're different, but can I expect a totally different ownership experience?

Thanks for your thoughts.
lswoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2016, 11:25 AM   #2
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
My Patek watches have all been reliable. To me the biggest difference would be water resistance and the service times and cost. The Patek is a great watch but not meant for sporting activities. If you have other watches that can be used for these occasions, then do it. If not, I would try to keep both.
Old 22 August 2016, 11:34 AM   #3
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

The 5127 is a relatively recent watch and was discontinued only a few years ago. It shouldn't take 17 months for it to be serviced, unless it has severe damage and needs to be "restored". It should be easily serviced at Patek NYC (Henry Stern Watch Agency) if it needs routine servicing.

As for whether you want to trade in a DD for a 5127, it is a personal choice. If you ask this question in the Rolex section, most people will say keep the DD. Here in the Patek area, many will try to steer you into getting a Nautilus instead of a Calatrava, which is a personal preference once again.

I think if you have your mind set on a 5127, make sure you try it on in person at a pre-owned store instead of just looking at photos online. At this price level of $20K+ USD, you don't want to be left half satisfied after you receive the watch.

Personally I think the 5127 is a beautiful modern three-hand automatic Calatrava and it is an elegant watch in either YG or RG. It is a dress watch, so if you wear business suits regularly, it will wear quite nicely.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2016, 11:34 AM   #4
lswoboda
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't wear the watch during any sporting activities (I have other tool watches that I wear during those cases--I even switch out the Rolex)

Is a Calatrava significantly more fragile than a Rolex DD during normal wear?
Old 22 August 2016, 11:50 AM   #5
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

For normal wear (non-sporting activities), I don't think a Calatrava is a fragile watch at all. Because it will be on a leather strap, you can't wear them all the time (e.g. swimming or showering), but there are plenty of other watches for that purpose.

I think the Calatrava is the ultimate dress watch and if your weekday routine involves being indoors in the office, then it should be fine. You can always swap out and wear a Rolex professional series watch on the weekend if you are an outdoors type of person.
Old 22 August 2016, 04:38 PM   #6
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by lswoboda View Post
Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't wear the watch during any sporting activities (I have other tool watches that I wear during those cases--I even switch out the Rolex)

Is a Calatrava significantly more fragile than a Rolex DD during normal wear?
Any Rolex is a tank, so yeah more fragile
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2016, 04:41 PM   #7
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

I fully agree with Jon.:thumbs:

I have owned both watches in my life and would say that the Rolex will deal with most activities.

But if like me you would wear the 5127 for weekends and away from work then it is perfectly fine :thumbs:

Mine came back after being serviced by the UK Patek service department in just under 3 months.

I truly love mine

Old 22 August 2016, 05:21 PM   #8
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
True but that's part of the appeal of a Rolex, you can do anything wearing them without worrying.

Personally a Calatrava would fit my lifestyle just fine, and I'm a pretty active guy. I don't think you'll experience any problems, they're great.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2016, 05:39 PM   #9
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C 116610LN
I love the 5127J, but maybe it'd worth a try to consider alternative choices?

Lange 1815 Up/Down:

Lange Saxonia:

VC Patrimony:

Old 22 August 2016, 09:27 PM   #10
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
I love the 5127J, but maybe it'd worth a try to consider alternative choices?

Lange 1815 Up/Down:

Lange Saxonia:

VC Patrimony:
No I would take the Patek, it has a date which is useful, but I would get the R version, it is gorgeous, and I am not a dress watch big fan, the only Calatrava better is the same but with officer's caseback now that one's a killer, but this one is very cool as well
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2016, 09:38 PM   #11
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No I would take the Patek, it has a date which is useful, but I would get the R version, it is gorgeous, and I am not a dress watch big fan, the only Calatrava better is the same but with officer's caseback now that one's a killer, but this one is very cool as well
I assume you're referring to the 5227r, and if so, you're right, it's a killer. Wallet killer! I tried Mike's on at the last GTG in April. This watch is definitely in my future.
Old 23 August 2016, 02:32 AM   #12
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
VC Patrimony:

That's the one for me.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2016, 02:42 AM   #13
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
I don't think you'd have any problems with the 5127 as a daily wear. Is it a good idea? That depends which you like more. I wouldn't trade a DD40 for a 5127, but would trade a DDII.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2016, 10:55 AM   #14
lswoboda
"TRF" Member

Thank you for all the comments and advice.

My DD is an older 18238--the "classic" look/size. It's a great watch and I purchased it because I knew it could stand up easily to daily wear. That said, I regularly switch to vintage Omegas and my father's 1957 Bulova without any concern that I'll hurt the watch.

I've seen comments about grey market dealers versus ADs versus Chrono24, etc.

I wouldn't buy any $20M watch without making sure I want it (and having seen one in person), but is there any "best" way to shop for a PP, especially a discontinued model?

Thanks.
Old 23 August 2016, 10:57 AM   #15
lswoboda
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat30093 View Post

I truly love mine

That's great looking!
Old 23 August 2016, 11:18 AM   #16
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:

My DD is an older 18238--the "classic" look/size. It's a great watch and I purchased it because I knew it could stand up easily to daily wear. That said, I regularly switch to vintage Omegas and my father's 1957 Bulova without any concern that I'll hurt the watch.

I wouldn't buy any $20M watch without making sure I want it (and having seen one in person), but is there any "best" way to shop for a PP, especially a discontinued model?

Thanks.
Shopping for a discontinued Patek watch is tricky unless you are willing to travel or live in a metro area with many pre-owned watch stores. I would try to check inventory at the major pre-owned stores.

You may want to call and visit Govberg in Philadelphia. They are a Patek AD, but also sell a lot of pre-owned Pateks. They currently have a pre-owned 5127R in stock. After trying on the watch on your wrist, you can better decide if this is the watch for you.
Old 23 August 2016, 12:54 PM   #17
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
x2. I wouldn't bang around a Patek like I would my Rolex.
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2016, 05:26 PM   #18
Moloch
"TRF" Member

I recently got my Patek 3445 from service and it took 7 month and had to be sent to Geneva from US. 3445 is a simple automatic Calatrava with a date which was discontinued on 1981. Newer simple Calatravas like the 5127 shouldn't take as long. Stories of 17 months are for really complicated Pateks and/or ones with serious damage which requires a restoration rather than a routine service.

On the side note I wish Rolex serviced vintage like the way Patek do. I hate that I have to seek out independent watchmakers after the 20 year cutoff. Just love the Patek's guarantee to service any watch they've ever produced.
Moloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2016, 09:17 PM   #19
ap1
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

I'd move to dd40. Jack of all trades
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 05:24 AM   #20
NoVaSubowner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Love them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
Shopping for a discontinued Patek watch is tricky unless you are willing to travel or live in a metro area with many pre-owned watch stores. I would try to check inventory at the major pre-owned stores.

You may want to call and visit Govberg in Philadelphia. They are a Patek AD, but also sell a lot of pre-owned Pateks. They currently have a pre-owned 5127R in stock. After trying on the watch on your wrist, you can better decide if this is the watch for you.
Big Big 2nd on Govberg. Josh over there was great to deal with and a true Watch Guy. My piece was like new and if it wasn't for the missing hang tag and someone else's name on the papers it would have been a brand new piece. It even had the original packing materials and boxes......

Buying preowned from an AD like Govberg is the way to go. Often, as was the case with my piece they buy from collectors like the one who bought my 5296, wore it a couple of times; then left it in his safe.

They even threw in a brand new XL strap. Great store and experience.
NoVaSubowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 05:45 AM   #21
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Quote:

Thanks.
the best way to shop is to buy your watch from someone you trust, either an AD or a trusted seller. Like I heard a million times you buy the seller not the watch.

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 07:45 AM   #22
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Looks like Tarrytown has the 5127J available for sale. They are not an AD and I don't have any personal experience with them. However I believe other forum members have done business with them. They are located in the NYC metro area.
Old 24 August 2016, 08:34 AM   #23
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
I would keep the DD over a Calatrava. I am a bigger fan of a bracelet watch and I also love the versatility of the DD. It can be worn to the beach, with a suit, jack of all trades. The Calatrava is a dress watch. Both are icons and I love PP....but a DD is multi dimensional while I feel the Calatrava is more limited.
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 08:36 AM   #24
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
Looks like Tarrytown has the 5127J available for sale. They are not an AD and I don't have any personal experience with them. However I believe other forum members have done business with them. They are located in the NYC metro area.
I have dealt with Tarrytown for a LOOONG time. They are the real deal. I have bought numerous watches from them and they have always been great.
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2016, 07:47 PM   #25
jopek
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, IWC , Rolex
Quote:
I'm interested in a PP 5127 (R or J) and I would likely trade my Rolex DD toward the PP.

I understand they're different watches, but is this a good idea?

I've seen service times on Pateks taking up to 17 months and people worrying about wearing them regularly. I'd expect mine to be (mostly) a daily wear watch. Is this crazy? Rolexes can be serviced fairly easily and quickly and they're not generally regarded as safe queen watches.

Again, I know they're different, but can I expect a totally different ownership experience?

Thanks for your thoughts.
I was in your exact situation 2 yrs ago and asked myself the same questions but i kept my 1983 Vintage DD and bought a 5227r a year ago.

I wear the Calatrava period and the DD has not seen light of day.
My style changed as i got older.

You are obviously thinking about it and the 5127r is a fantastic looking piece.
If your style changes, you can always trade the 5127 and go back to Rolex not having lost alot of money.

Hope this helps.
jopek is offline   Reply With Quote