The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 26 August 2024, 09:59 AM   #1
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Does it matter?

Hi all, I've heard for new clients to improve their chances of starting a journey with a certain brand, it does makes a difference by wearing a highly sought after reference from another high end brand. Is it true?
Octagon Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2024, 10:33 AM   #2
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
Yes - if you're perceived as a "worthy" client on the basis of your "means", you're more likely to be seen as the "cash-cow" they hope you'll become :)
Old 26 August 2024, 10:35 AM   #3
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
I think it has to play a role, even if they won't admit it. I've often worn my 5712/1A into boutiques and it is definitely noticed.
srvrf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2024, 12:53 PM   #4
dannyboy123
"TRF" Member

Funnily enough I went to a boutique recently and deliberately wore my rose gold Daytona.

Given the thoroughness of the interview - many questions were asked and noted on their records - I think it may be a factor. How big of a factor I am unsure - I even followed up with a nice email showing my large/expensive Rolex (& other) collection in the vain attempt to demonstrate I had money, was a collector versus flipper and also liked other brands.

Nuts we have to think like this, but it is what it is.
dannyboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2024, 02:02 PM   #5
Bpan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5548BA, 16233G
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=908927
Bpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2024, 05:35 PM   #6
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Your ability to prove you are passionate about watches, are not a flipper, and have the financial resources to be a client for the long run is exactly what they want to figure out.

Owning some heavy hitters from other brands helps to accomplish this.

With that said, it certainly helps with starting the journey but I don’t think it will help in terms of “cutting the line” and not having to buy dogs before getting a hot allocation
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2024, 08:59 PM   #7
1st amg
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
It possibly could show that you have passion in the WIS world.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2024, 09:34 PM   #8
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I think it would help.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2024, 09:48 PM   #9
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Yes. Also good conversation point too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2024, 10:35 PM   #10
dchang81

100% makes a difference. I pretty much always notice them looking to see whats on my wrist. If I'm rushing and wearing whatever I had on at work I've definitely been ignored. Kind of like driving in to a Ferrari dealership in a geo metro, unlikely you're gonna be a serious customer. My friend from college wanted to get something awesome for graduation. He wore a citizen, he said no one bothered helping him and barely batted an eye, nevermind his family was pretty wealthy
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2024, 10:35 PM   #11
adi365
"TRF" Member

I'd say yes
adi365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2024, 10:39 PM   #12
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Yes. If they are serious about you they will ask what your collection looks like currently and expectations for future adds.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2024, 12:47 AM   #13
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the input. But anyone personally benefits directly from this move?
Old 27 August 2024, 03:44 AM   #14
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octagon Guy View Post
Thanks for all the input. But anyone personally benefits directly from this move?
how would anyone know the answer to that question unless the boutique dirctly says that outright that "your 5711 made us want to allocate a 16202 for you!"
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2024, 03:51 AM   #15
johnsonsxusfrt
Banned

Quote:
I was getting fed up with my Rolex AD for promising me a Pepsi for over 2 years, so 3 months ago I wore my AP openworks to their shop and made a point of showing it to them and praising "how amazing AP was in delivering special pieces"... they got me a Pepsi last month LOL!!

Now did wearing the openworks help? probably, but it definitely didn't hurt
johnsonsxusfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2024, 04:44 AM   #16
watchman124
"TRF" Member

I happened to be wearing my RM67-02 to a Rolex AD while shopping with my GF, as I've been trying to get her a ladies' Datejust. Didn't have an established relationship as I don't have a Rolex AD and the guy had the audacity to ask me how much the RM cost me and if I got it from RM etc. (which I did) and then pretended like he was doing me a favor when he went and got a full yellow gold sub out from the back and said I could have it that day and in a month my GF could have her Datejust as if a ladies Datejust is a hot model to begin with. It was pretty insulting lol.

Now if he said I could have a Pepsi with it he might've had me lol. I'm not above a nice bundle, but didn't like the dude insulting my intelligence trying to sell me two hard to move watches in a bundle as if the second was a favor.
watchman124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2024, 10:13 AM   #17
7sins
"TRF" Member

The BEST thing you can do is have a VIP or respected current client introduce you, this will go a long way with building a relationship quickly. I was with a friend a few weeks back who invited his buddy out, he had no purchase history nor any relationship with AP, my buddy introduced him and he had a 15510 in a month.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Off Shore Gulf Blue 26238 || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2024, 10:24 AM   #18
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
The BEST thing you can do is have a VIP or respected current client introduce you, this will go a long way with building a relationship quickly. I was with a friend a few weeks back who invited his buddy out, he had no purchase history nor any relationship with AP, my buddy introduced him and he had a 15510 in a month.
I'm interested in the CODE 26393CR and my cousin brother introduced me to the Boutique 2 years ago. Till now still no allocation. And he's 16 pieces deep, all from Boutique. I was wearing a GS then. Wondering if that's part of the reason. My cousin did follow up with them regarding my request intermittently but was told no delivery available yet.
Old 27 August 2024, 12:39 PM   #19
dchang81

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
Can I be your buddy.

Im sorry but if uou're asking for a code chrono and still not getting one for two years something must really be going wrong....
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2024, 12:55 PM   #20
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
Im sorry but if uou're asking for a code chrono and still not getting one for two years something must really be going wrong....
What you think went wrong?
Old 27 August 2024, 11:14 PM   #21
adi365
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hard to say.
I wore my 5726A to a Rolex AD, and asked for gold panda Daytona, no purchasing history, got it in a few months, but again rose gold daytonas are less desirable.
adi365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2024, 11:43 PM   #22
johnsonsxusfrt
Banned

Quote:
I'm interested in the CODE 26393CR and my cousin brother introduced me to the Boutique 2 years ago. Till now still no allocation. And he's 16 pieces deep, all from Boutique. I was wearing a GS then. Wondering if that's part of the reason. My cousin did follow up with them regarding my request intermittently but was told no delivery available yet.
Code chrono and no allocation after 2 years? something is definitely wrong. have you ever gone back to the Boutique personally during this 2 year period and expressed interest? have you tried to build a personal relationship with the SA?
Old 28 August 2024, 04:02 AM   #23
saltyandwet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wouldn't your cousin's brother just be your cousin?
saltyandwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2024, 09:46 AM   #24
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonsxusfrt View Post
Code chrono and no allocation after 2 years? something is definitely wrong. have you ever gone back to the Boutique personally during this 2 year period and expressed interest? have you tried to build a personal relationship with the SA?
I did multiple times. Was offered a 15510ST black dial once but I turned it down. Will my rejection be the cause?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyandwet View Post
Wouldn't your cousin's brother just be your cousin?
My cousin brother. Not cousin's brother. Hahaha.
Old 29 August 2024, 12:17 AM   #25
johnsonsxusfrt
Banned

Quote:
I did multiple times. Was offered a 15510ST black dial once but I turned it down. Will my rejection be the cause?
Why would you turn down a black dial RO? that is an amazing first piece to get from the boutique
Old 29 August 2024, 12:21 AM   #26
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why would you turn down a black dial RO? that is an amazing first piece to get from the boutique
What draws me to AP is the CODE collection. The case construction is simply awesome. It might sound weird but no interest for the ROs/ROOs.
Old 29 August 2024, 12:37 AM   #27
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What draws me to AP is the CODE collection. The case construction is simply awesome. It might sound weird but no interest for the ROs/ROOs.
Funny and ironic given your username. Good for you though - less competition so hope you get what you want.
Old 29 August 2024, 01:53 AM   #28
johnsonsxusfrt
Banned

Quote:
the code does look amazing in person, the inner octagonal case surrounded by the round outer case, topped with the concave sapphire are sublime. But if all you want is a code then may I suggest you stop waiting and buy one from a trusted seller here. They pretty much all go well below retail. Good Luck
Old 29 August 2024, 01:56 AM   #29
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
Funny and ironic given your username. Good for you though - less competition so hope you get what you want.
It's not ironic as there's always an octagon within the CODE
Old 29 August 2024, 01:59 AM   #30
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
the code does look amazing in person, the inner octagonal case surrounded by the round outer case, topped with the concave sapphire are sublime. But if all you want is a code then may I suggest you stop waiting and buy one from a trusted seller here. They pretty much all go well below retail. Good Luck
I would much prefer to buy new from a Boutique for peace of mind. And of course to build a relationship, hoping to get any Boutique exclusive in time to come for any new CODE releases.