The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 26 August 2015, 05:49 PM   #1
hornchurch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 11
Speedmaster watch buy advise.

Forum members.

I am looking to add a Speedmaster to my collection, and would welcome any advise on Omega watches.

At the moment i own a Rolex DJ11 2tone, which i love.

Love the look of the Speedmaster, and am torn between the "Professional Moon Watch" and the "Racing Chronometer" in red dial with rubber strap.
Both are within my price range.

The Racing comes in a lovely red dial colour, to which i would love, and as i have only a small wrist 40mm would be ok.

Any advise or knowledge on these two watches would be most gratefull.

Many thanks..
hornchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2015, 12:10 AM   #2
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
There is only one moon watch....
Old 27 August 2015, 04:08 AM   #3
RazorD
"TRF" Member

I'd say the classic one and only moonwatch. One of my favorite watches by far.
RazorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2015, 05:04 AM   #4
MitchSteel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage Rolex
SpeedmasterProfessional with Hesalite.....the one and only.

Probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival---Capt. Rage

Don't believe anything in aviation, 'till V1---Mitch Danger Steel
MitchSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2015, 05:06 AM   #5
TonyD
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Meteorite Daytona
I have to agree here. I love colored dials and interesting watches... but the Speedy Pro moon with plastic crystal is such a classic.
Old 27 August 2015, 08:49 AM   #6
rodrob59
"TRF" Member

Watch: YG DD 18238
Go with the Speedy Pro. If not it will be the one you'll look back at and think, "I really should have."

Besides, it's the freaking watch Pete Conrad, Alan Shepard, John Young and Gene Cernan wore on the Moon!
Old 27 August 2015, 11:11 AM   #7
buddydog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Guy
Stay with the classics Tony. 42mm is also great on a smaller wrist. Good luck.

buddydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2015, 12:02 PM   #8
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
Yep I have to agree. I have a very sweet mark II and still want the original...

Plus there is something soothing about the manual wind that is lost with the automatics.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2015, 12:19 PM   #9
busytimmy
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchSteel View Post

Yep. Mine is among the favs. Definitely a keeper; haven't thought of flipping once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
busytimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2015, 02:11 PM   #10
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchSteel View Post
This
kneedeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2015, 06:57 PM   #11
hornchurch
"TRF" Member

Many thanks members for your advise.

I know what you mean about the "moon watch" being a class act.

Been studying this watch online and seems that there is a number of different types, and sizes.
Can anyone furnish me with the watch code, if possible please.
One more question, what is "hasalite"?.

Many thanks gang,as i am new to watch collecting..

Thanks for your help...
Old 27 August 2015, 09:41 PM   #12
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Hestalite or plexiglass for the crystal instead of sapphire

There is only one true Speedmaster

Omega Seamaster SMP300m, Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2015, 11:04 PM   #13
NYCREBROKER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 &Speedy Pro
My 42 mm Speedy Pro measures almost identically to my 40 mm Sub C No Date. Not sure why they claim the Speedy is 42 mm. Both fit very well on my 6.5 inch wrist. My vote is Speedy Pro.
NYCREBROKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2015, 08:54 PM   #14
hornchurch
"TRF" Member

Many thanks gang for your input and knowledge.

Will do some more research before i pull the trigger..
Old 7 September 2015, 02:18 PM   #15
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Get the original Moonwatch.
vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2015, 04:09 PM   #16
shakin_jake
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega SpeedMaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCREBROKER View Post
My 42 mm Speedy Pro measures almost identically to my 40 mm Sub C No Date. Not sure why they claim the Speedy is 42 mm. Both fit very well on my 6.5 inch wrist. My vote is Speedy Pro.

~~~Hi Steven! the 2mm difference between the Submariner and the Speedmaster is dial size...the Speedmaster's dial is 2mm larger in diameter. The Sub *may* appear to be just as wide, when you include the O.D. of the bezel too, but when measuring actual dial diamters, the Sub's is 2mm less

FWIW, I bought a 3570.50 (Man on the Moon) just about a year ago. Lovely watch, no doubt, then May of this year I purchased an 114060. For a couple of reasons, the Speedmaster does not get any wrist time, but not because it isn't a good/handsome/awesome/etc. watch

In a lot of ways, the Speedmaster, for me, is a better watch than the 114060. For one, the dial on the 3570.50 is a lot easier to read (tell time), but that might just be my aging eyes...but I doubt it as the Speedmaster's dial is bigger (by 2mm anyways=:-), but it's also a cleaner more efficient dial design IMO, and not because of the four lines on the 114060

Something else I've had a hard time with, wearing the Speedie Pro since acquiring the Subc, and that's the lack of a true second hand. Now before I catch some chit from other members here about this last statement, and I realize this is a problem I have with the Speedmaster, and I may very well be the only one with a Speedmaster that feels this way, the way I see it, and the way I've worn my Speedie Pro, I don't let the hand of the chronometer run, unless I'm timing something, and at the risk of getting off tangent with this particular thought, it 's something I think about and that's the fact that the Speedie Pro, being a chronometer, at least this particular mechanical version, is really two movements in one, with the chrono function piggy backed onto the main movement, if I may so refer to it that way...

Still following my train of thought? What I'm trying to say is two things. For one, and this is strictly my hang up with it, I can't seem to let the chrono function just run and run, unless I'm using it to time a particular event, and maybe that timing event is to see 10 seconds go by to time the flush on my HX espresso machine when I want to pull a shot

Also, and I'm one of those (since acquiring the Subc) that constantly refers to time.is, just to see how my watch (114060) is keeping time. With the Speedmaster verifying actual time, you're checking the time of two different movements, if one were to check/verify the time, since there are two separate individual movements, if you're looking to see how the seconds and minutes of this Omega, stack up against the atomic time clock

Whew!, glad I got that off my chest And just to be clear, I'll reiterate, this dilemma is strictly one I've talked my OCD self into
shakin_jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2015, 04:21 PM   #17
shakin_jake
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornchurch View Post
Forum members.

I am looking to add a Speedmaster to my collection, and would welcome any advise on Omega watches.

At the moment i own a Rolex DJ11 2tone, which i love.

Love the look of the Speedmaster, and am torn between the "Professional Moon Watch" and the "Racing Chronometer" in red dial with rubber strap.
Both are within my price range.

The Racing comes in a lovely red dial colour, to which i would love, and as i have only a small wrist 40mm would be ok.

Any advise or knowledge on these two watches would be most gratefull.

Many thanks..

~~~I have a possible answer to your situation...buy this Hirsch Robby strap and stick it on a Speedmaster, problem solved

http://www.hirschstraps.com/collecti...ed-09120940504
Old 7 September 2015, 04:23 PM   #18
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Chill out. It's one movement.

Your cal. 1861 isn't even a modular chrono movement, like some Speedies have.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2015, 04:25 PM   #19
shakin_jake
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
Chill out. It's one movement.

Your cal. 1861 isn't even have a modular chrono movement, like some Speedies have.

~~~Oh I am chillin but from what I've read, my understanding...the chrono movement is piggybacked onto the main movement
Old 7 September 2015, 04:27 PM   #20
shakin_jake
"TRF" Member

IOW, they aren't running in sync

Put another way, when timing the 3570.50, the Chrono's second hand does not influence the time of the minute and hour hands...separate functions
Old 7 September 2015, 04:44 PM   #21
yajeeps
Banned

What is the most desirable speedy?
yajeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2015, 01:07 AM   #22
Maxtor
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp 1, DJ Tuxedo
Great watches. Love the look and heritage of the Speedy Pro.

Ended up selling mine after a year because I found the small crown made the daily wind a chore. Not so with my Seamasters.

Good luck with your choice.
Maxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2015, 03:39 AM   #23
toolr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post
~~~Hi Steven! the 2mm difference between the Submariner and the Speedmaster is dial size...the Speedmaster's dial is 2mm larger in diameter. The Sub *may* appear to be just as wide, when you include the O.D. of the bezel too, but when measuring actual dial diamters, the Sub's is 2mm less

FWIW, I bought a 3570.50 (Man on the Moon) just about a year ago. Lovely watch, no doubt, then May of this year I purchased an 114060. For a couple of reasons, the Speedmaster does not get any wrist time, but not because it isn't a good/handsome/awesome/etc. watch

In a lot of ways, the Speedmaster, for me, is a better watch than the 114060. For one, the dial on the 3570.50 is a lot easier to read (tell time), but that might just be my aging eyes...but I doubt it as the Speedmaster's dial is bigger (by 2mm anyways=:-), but it's also a cleaner more efficient dial design IMO, and not because of the four lines on the 114060

Something else I've had a hard time with, wearing the Speedie Pro since acquiring the Subc, and that's the lack of a true second hand. Now before I catch some chit from other members here about this last statement, and I realize this is a problem I have with the Speedmaster, and I may very well be the only one with a Speedmaster that feels this way, the way I see it, and the way I've worn my Speedie Pro, I don't let the hand of the chronometer run, unless I'm timing something, and at the risk of getting off tangent with this particular thought, it 's something I think about and that's the fact that the Speedie Pro, being a chronometer, at least this particular mechanical version, is really two movements in one, with the chrono function piggy backed onto the main movement, if I may so refer to it that way...

Still following my train of thought? What I'm trying to say is two things. For one, and this is strictly my hang up with it, I can't seem to let the chrono function just run and run, unless I'm using it to time a particular event, and maybe that timing event is to see 10 seconds go by to time the flush on my HX espresso machine when I want to pull a shot

Also, and I'm one of those (since acquiring the Subc) that constantly refers to time.is, just to see how my watch (114060) is keeping time. With the Speedmaster verifying actual time, you're checking the time of two different movements, if one were to check/verify the time, since there are two separate individual movements, if you're looking to see how the seconds and minutes of this Omega, stack up against the atomic time clock

Whew!, glad I got that off my chest And just to be clear, I'll reiterate, this dilemma is strictly one I've talked my OCD self into
A couple of points if I may...
- The 3570.50 does have a true seconds hand... it's in the 9 o'clock subdial, runs all the time the watch is wound, just like the Daytona's subdial at 6 o'clock. The larger seconds hand is for timing seconds when using the chronograph function.
- The 3570.50 is a chronograph, not a chronometer, although it can be adjusted to within chronometer (COSC) standards.
- It is not a modular chronograph, rather it is an integrated chronograph designed as a chronograph from ground up.
It is one of the true classic chronographs and I find it to be one of the most comfortable and legible watches made.
The ceramic Sub is very nice as well, just a different type of watch...both very enjoyable to wear.
toolr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2015, 06:41 PM   #24
shakin_jake
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajeeps View Post
What is the most desirable speedy?

~~~the one on your wrist

you could have three guys wanting Speedies and all three end up with different Speedmasters. My choice may not be desirable for someone else. Sorry, you have to figure out which one you want, and who knows, that may change before you pull the trigger. For instance, before settling on the Speedmaster (3570.50 in my case), I was sure I was going to purchase a chrono heritage blue Tudor but the more I thought about the orange and blue colour scheme, I decided on a more sedate chronograph and went with the Speedmaster

If you end up deciding on the currently available model, that you can buy from an AD/trusted seller, give some thought about going with a used piece in good condition. Like a new car rolling off the lot, the new watch will suffer depreciation Just a thought
Old 8 September 2015, 06:55 PM   #25
shakin_jake
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxtor View Post
Great watches. Love the look and heritage of the Speedy Pro.

Ended up selling mine after a year because I found the small crown made the daily wind a chore. Not so with my Seamasters.

Good luck with your choice.

~~~I've read the exact same thing from other past Speedmaster owners, and is often the main reason they flipped their watch. No one had or has a harder time winding the Speedmaster than me, until I found a good work around

I need to mention too, I was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy in my hands (fingers primarily) and toes/feet a few years ago. It's a numbing condition wher you can't feel objects to a certain degree when they come in contact with the area you are suffering with this affliction. I have to try and make a fist, then open it, with both hands when I get out of bed in the morning, or afternoons lately

Anyways, what I found to work for me to keep my Speedmaster wound when I was wearing it daily was two things. I can get a better grip on the crown when just after stepping out of the shower and drying off. I have the most moisture in my finger tips then. With dry skin it's hard to get a good grip on that smallish crown so I would always wind my watch after showering daily

Secondly, since my thumb is bigger than my forefinger, I found it easier to wind by turning the watch head over so the crystal is facing down, because there is greater exposure of the crown on the underside, my thumb would engage it, and the edge of my forefinger got a better purchase on the narrower top side of the crown, w/the watch head upside down

I found I could easily wind this difficult to wind watch that way. Hope this helps someone else
Old 8 September 2015, 07:08 PM   #26
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
~~~Oh I am chillin but from what I've read, my understanding...the chrono movement is piggybacked onto the main movement
Say what!!!!

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2015, 07:12 PM   #27
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:

I don't agree.....

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2015, 07:19 PM   #28
shakin_jake
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolr View Post
A couple of points if I may...
- The 3570.50 does have a true seconds hand... it's in the 9 o'clock subdial, runs all the time the watch is wound, just like the Daytona's subdial at 6 o'clock. The larger seconds hand is for timing seconds when using the chronograph function.
- The 3570.50 is a chronograph, not a chronometer, although it can be adjusted to within chronometer (COSC) standards.
- It is not a modular chronograph, rather it is an integrated chronograph designed as a chronograph from ground up.
It is one of the true classic chronographs and I find it to be one of the most comfortable and legible watches made.
The ceramic Sub is very nice as well, just a different type of watch...both very enjoyable to wear.

~~~all good points you made here toolr

yes, you can set the second hand that runs with the minute/hour hands using the teeny dial at 9 o'clock I get crossed eyed trying to see, and you can stop that second hand from running by turning the crown (while pulled out) counter clockwise, but the problem I have, and I realize I'm in the minority here, which is fine with me...the second hand of the chronograph is not synched w/the hour/minute hands...again, most that own and wear this watch, don't have the aversion that I do with these two separate functions (chronograph hand running continuously), and you're right, I misspoke when I called the Speedmaster a chronometer once in my original reply in this thread, it's not a chronometer it's a chronograph! Good point

Also, good choice of words when you said the Speedmaster was one of the most legible watches ever made, or words to that effect. It's that stellar dial legibility I prefer over my Submariner, despite the fact I enjoy wearing my Submariner over the Speedmaster. Who knows?, maybe one day I'll fall back in love with my Speedie Pro again and actually wear it I've day dreamed more than thrice, to put together a trade ad (member to member) on the forum here, seeing if someone wanted to trade a watch for it...but haven't been able to bring myself to doing just that. Sorry, but I digress
Old 8 September 2015, 07:21 PM   #29
shakin_jake
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
I don't agree.....

~~~that's fine with me...what a boring world it would be if we all agreed on everything
Old 8 September 2015, 07:31 PM   #30
shakin_jake
"TRF" Member

Icon11 So Solly

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Say what!!!!

~~~I forgot to answer this for you, and that said, if anyone else ever expects an answer from me in this and any other thread, it's not that I am ignoring you, quite the contrary, I am not receiving thread notifications from this forum, despite asking to be notified...

As to my statement about the chronograph function piggy backed onto the movement, for the life of me, back when I was researching the 3570.50 before purchase, I swear I read somewhere, that this in fact was how this caliber was created. If in fact it wasn't, do yourself a favor and don't get your tidy whites in a knot over my statement. Life is short, have fun, and don't believe everything you read on the internet, or in an internet forum