The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 27 November 2023, 02:53 AM   #1
Babalaas
"TRF" Member

Lange 1815 Up Down vs VC Historique 1921?

Between the two, which dress watch are you going with? Both are approximately the same price in the market.

Pros for the Lange
-It’s a lange. The supposed end game for anyone into horology
-Movement finishing second to none

Main pro: There’s other better models in the Lange catalogue. The Lange 1 is still the face of Lange, not the 1815. The datograph and Zeitwerk also surpass it in importance.

Pros for the VC
-There’s not a dress watch like it on the planet. Unique. Conversation starter
-Face of the VC Dress catalogue. Very little in the dress catalogue surpasses it in importance

Main con: The movement isn’t as nicely decorated as a Lange though it’s still not a slouch
Babalaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2023, 03:24 AM   #2
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
I would not consider the VC a dress watch by any means
Sorry I feel Patek is the endgame not Lange.

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2023, 05:46 AM   #3
Subtronics
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & ALS
When I was in the process of acquiring my WG 1815 U/D I considered a different VC: WG Traditionelle. Together with the VC Patrimony this is much more dress watch territory than the Historique IMHO.
Subtronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2023, 05:47 AM   #4
RaZCaL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500,116610,VCO
Love the 1921 and its unique design. Definitely a conversation starter. I would go with the VC but I'm bias because I love VC.
RaZCaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2023, 06:43 AM   #5
mario1971
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS
The Lange is a more universal watch that is suitable for almost any situation and outfit. My vote is Up/Down.
Old 27 November 2023, 07:08 AM   #6
Michael1968
Banned

Watch: UN,RolexTudor&more
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario1971 View Post
The Lange is a more universal watch that is suitable for almost any situation and outfit. My vote is Up/Down.
Nice photo and I’m agree with you
Michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2023, 07:16 AM   #7
GB-man
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Get whichever you can get a larger discount on because once you realize this isn’t the end game you will be glad haha

Jokes aside i bought the 1921 and it wasn’t everything I’d hoped. I had the standard 1815 and would personally select the up down here
Old 27 November 2023, 07:23 AM   #8
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Love the 1921. My favorite VC piece.
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2023, 07:43 AM   #9
jjnd08
"TRF" Member

This is a tough one, the 1921 is my favorite watch from VC; but, I would probably go Lange.
Old 27 November 2023, 07:58 AM   #10
quantumdna
"TRF" Member

Watch: VC 4000V
Lange 1815 Up Down vs VC Historique 1921?

Given that dress watch is the ask… Lange 1815 Up/Down is the way to go. Anyone who thinks Patek is the end game of dress watches, they need to get their eyes checked. Lange makes better watches than Patek. In fact Patek watches make Lange look like a young man’s watch.
Old 27 November 2023, 09:06 AM   #11
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Neither, I would go VC CORNES DE VACHE 1955 and get lost in the movement. Secondary prices are attractive too. However, I’m not a huge fan of Lange dials, they feel too sterile for me.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2023, 09:12 AM   #12
GB-man

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
Neither, I would go VC CORNES DE VACHE 1955 and get lost in the movement. Secondary prices are attractive too. However, I’m not a huge fan of Lange dials, they feel too sterile for me.

Old 27 November 2023, 09:45 AM   #13
nauti1us
"TRF" Member

Watch: Always changing.
I’m actually having the same internal debate about these 2 watches myself. Given the prices of both, it would be an ‘end game’ watch for me, but one I would endeavor to wear daily - be it with a dress shirt for work, or shorts and a t-shirt.

Pros of the VC are the pure style of it, I believe it’s fully in house and of the 2, it seems more fun and casual.

Pros of the Lange are the overall Germanic style and simplicity of the design, backed by an amazing looking movement. The dial and cases are outsourced though and I’ve seen some photos of less than impressive welding of the lugs on some examples. I can’t decide if the outsourcing bothers me, perhaps it’s a case of focus on what you do best and outsource the rest?

Decisions, decisions….
nauti1us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2023, 09:56 AM   #14
Easy E

I, unfortunately, have never handled a Lange so I speak with incomplete knowledge. That said the 1921 (RG40)is one of my favorite watches. It is a really amazing piece.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2023, 10:17 AM   #15
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
I have the up/down and in my opinion it is magnificent, one of the best Langes in the range. The symmetry and legibility of the dial, the blue hands against the white dial, the pop of red on the power reserve. It does well in dress and casual settings, and can take a wide range of straps. The Lange up/down would make a fine one and done Lange in a collection, and I would pick it over the VC’s (which, obviously, are also fabulous).

As someone else noted, the Cornes de Vache is coming way down in price on the secondary market, and if it were a comparison between the Up/Down and the Cornes de Vache, I’d have to go Cornes de Vache if the prices are comparable.
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2023, 11:30 AM   #16
nickorette
2024 Pledge Member

The up/Down is a great piece, very versatile and easy to wear. It's very thin.

I love VC but the 1921 isn't for me. Unlike the other pieces in the Historiques collection I feel it has significantly deviated from the original. And my ocd can't get past how the seconds track is oriented straight while the rest of the dial is on an angle.

I would look into the Triple Calendrier and the Cornes De Vache for better rivals in my opinion.
IWC: PRT Minute Repeater, Pilot 36, Pallweber, Vintage Pilot Tribute, Ingenieur Patek: 5098P, 5738R, 5120G, 5172G, 6119R JLC: Reverso, Duomètre, Polaris Memovox, MUTM Enamel AP: 15202ST Lange: Lange 1, Copper Blue, Richard Lange, 1815 Up/Down Rolex: 116000, 116520, 126655, 124060, 116505, 228238 Panerai: Luminor 676 Omega: Aqua Terra, SM 300, Museum N°10, 321 EW, CK 859 Cartier: Santos M, Tank LC VC: Cornes De Vache, Triple Calendrier, 222, 4300V/120R FPJ: CS LF: Classic Micro Rotor
nickorette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2023, 02:04 AM   #17
Dalaruan
"TRF" Member

The 1921 is an absolute beauty. I guess the issue is its quite unconventional, if it's your one and only dress watch the up down is easier to go with.
But I'd say 1921 has that magic and soul in it. Lange is a german watch through and through, exquisitely engineered but thoroughly disciplinarian, which could be a plus or minus depending on your preferences
Dalaruan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2023, 06:43 AM   #18
break
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babalaas View Post
Between the two, which dress watch are you going with? Both are approximately the same price in the market.

Pros for the Lange
-It’s a lange. The supposed end game for anyone into horology
-Movement finishing second to none

Main pro: There’s other better models in the Lange catalogue. The Lange 1 is still the face of Lange, not the 1815. The datograph and Zeitwerk also surpass it in importance.

Pros for the VC
-There’s not a dress watch like it on the planet. Unique. Conversation starter
-Face of the VC Dress catalogue. Very little in the dress catalogue surpasses it in importance

Main con: The movement isn’t as nicely decorated as a Lange though it’s still not a slouch
A friend once said "Lange is the mainstream brand for watch collectors who care about finishing, but haven't discovered independent watchmakers yet." I'd disagree that they represent the endgame.
break is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2023, 07:31 AM   #19
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

I would vote Lange here.

The VC 1921 always seems like an old man's watch in style/design. Some would say that about the Lange too given its pocket watch-like attributes, but I think the Lange is more versatile.
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2023, 09:34 AM   #20
windingmybusiness
"TRF" Member

Lange is the easy choice, though I personally prefer the simplicity of the 1815 small seconds vs. up/down

The 1921, while beautiful, uses the same movement as the Traditionelle - a $24k watch. 1921 case isn’t worth $10k more to me than the traditionelle. And def not worth the same money as a Lange 1815.
windingmybusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2023, 05:14 PM   #21
Babalaas
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone. Leaning towards the 1921 now.
Old 29 November 2023, 04:20 AM   #22
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumdna View Post
Given that dress watch is the ask… Lange 1815 Up/Down is the way to go. Anyone who thinks Patek is the end game of dress watches, they need to get their eyes checked. Lange makes better watches than Patek. In fact Patek watches make Lange look like a young man’s watch.
To each their own.
I will give Lange the + on finishing, they do take it to another lever but I do not find most of them comfortable personally and in general they are thicker than most Patek watches.
My end game is the 5270 which has a lower profile than its Lange equal the 410.038. While I like the big date on the Lange the rest of the dial is much busier to me.

Right now I am getting ready to add a 5172 to my collection and I looked at the Lange 1815 chrono but the thickness was a negative, I did not find the lugs comfortable and I rather a tachometer versus the pulsations. Also I love the hands on the 5270 and the fact its lumed. The Lange is a Flyback though which is really nice.

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2023, 06:16 AM   #23
Easy E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
I, unfortunately, have never handled a Lange so I speak with incomplete knowledge. That said the 1921 (RG40)is one of my favorite watches. It is a really amazing piece.
Added for dramatic effect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1921.jpg (87.5 KB, 424 views)
File Type: jpg VC1921.jpg (94.9 KB, 425 views)
Old 29 November 2023, 08:03 AM   #24
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
To me the VC is the better-looking watch. The VC is big, and you need the wrist size to wear it well.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2023, 10:11 AM   #25
Easy E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
To me the VC is the better-looking watch. The VC is big, and you need the wrist size to wear it well.
True, but they make the 1921 in a 36 also.
Old 29 November 2023, 02:20 PM   #26
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumdna View Post
Thats just incorrect. Lange has a decent level of finishing for sure and generally do not discriminate entry level pieces with lower level finishing but it is noticeable with higher end Langes having interior corners which the entry level will not have etc. Lange saves costs on cases for example, where all their watches have the same case shape and construction, whereas Patek has a unique case for almost every one of their references which costs alot more to make and is more elaborate and interesting. Both solid watch brands, but unless you're talking about minute repeaters, neither are really end game brands....

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2023, 07:23 PM   #27
Babalaas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
Thats just incorrect. Lange has a decent level of finishing for sure and generally do not discriminate entry level pieces with lower level finishing but it is noticeable with higher end Langes having interior corners which the entry level will not have etc. Lange saves costs on cases for example, where all their watches have the same case shape and construction, whereas Patek has a unique case for almost every one of their references which costs alot more to make and is more elaborate and interesting. Both solid watch brands, but unless you're talking about minute repeaters, neither are really end game brands....
What is endgame? Perhaps dufour or rexhep?
Old 29 November 2023, 10:54 PM   #28
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babalaas View Post
What is endgame? Perhaps dufour or rexhep?
There is no endgame in this game

But Patek, VC and Lange are definitely not end game piece. And once you get that Dufour, you will likely start hunting for the next 3939, RRCC, whatever.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2023, 11:22 PM   #29
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
There is no endgame in this game

But Patek, VC and Lange are definitely not end game piece. And once you get that Dufour, you will likely start hunting for the next 3939, RRCC, whatever.
Im generally in agreement, i supoose in principal but I think if you have a RRCC, Dufour and say a vintage patek MR or something, you're pretty much there. Unless your priorities or tastes change drastically, I would say thats close to end game there. You're not finished though ofc as you're probably commissioning a few UPs from the likes of Voutileinen etc at that level but you're close.

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2023, 04:33 AM   #30
nickorette
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
Lange saves costs on cases for example, where all their watches have the same case shape and construction, whereas Patek has a unique case for almost every one of their references which costs alot more to make and is more elaborate and interesting.
Patek saves costs on movements for example, where all their watches have the same base movement (29-535, 324, 240), whereas Lange has a unique movement for almost every one of their references which costs alot more to make and is more elaborate and interesting.
IWC: PRT Minute Repeater, Pilot 36, Pallweber, Vintage Pilot Tribute, Ingenieur Patek: 5098P, 5738R, 5120G, 5172G, 6119R JLC: Reverso, Duomètre, Polaris Memovox, MUTM Enamel AP: 15202ST Lange: Lange 1, Copper Blue, Richard Lange, 1815 Up/Down Rolex: 116000, 116520, 126655, 124060, 116505, 228238 Panerai: Luminor 676 Omega: Aqua Terra, SM 300, Museum N°10, 321 EW, CK 859 Cartier: Santos M, Tank LC VC: Cornes De Vache, Triple Calendrier, 222, 4300V/120R FPJ: CS LF: Classic Micro Rotor
nickorette is offline   Reply With Quote