The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 5 December 2012, 06:24 AM   #1
varld
Banned

Watch: GMT Master II
Best way to sell a watch without worrying?

hey everyone, i recently found this website, and been slightly skeptical to post my watch on here.

What i want to know is, should i use PayPal? i heard its not that safe

Do people meet in person a lot on this forum? I had a guy once, fly a few states away, to me, just to purchase one of my submariners.

I also heard, money orders and bank wires, were not safe.

so is the only way to trade, by trading in person?
varld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2012, 06:38 AM   #2
brian8121
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5960p+6262
For sellers, bank wires are a great way to receive payment (And, IMHO, a great way to pay assuming you trust the seller). Paypal is fine if you know exactly who you're dealing with. But as you can see from a recent thread in this section, Paypal can be exploited and can sometimes be unreliable after the completion of the transaction (from the seller's side).

But as with buying watches, do your homework. When in doubt, ask for references- preferably from REPUTABLE buyers/sellers - search the Who's Who section. As far as face-to-face, meet at a bank or AD and exercise caution.

There are probably more steps you could take that I've missed, but this is just off the top of my head.
brian8121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2012, 07:12 AM   #3
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

all methods are fine if you are dealing with trusted people, unfortunetly some people are dishonest, accept only bank wire from unknown people is my opinion.
Old 5 December 2012, 07:41 AM   #4
varld
Banned

Watch: GMT Master II
Thanks alot for your replys.

How exactly do bank wires work?

I get there full info when doing bank wires right? this would make me feel more safe if something did happen.
varld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2012, 10:37 AM   #5
RRsDJ

Watch: 16078 / 16618
Quote:
Originally Posted by varld View Post

How exactly do bank wires work?
You give the seller your bank account info. They go to their bank, give the bank your info and transfer funds from their account to yours. Once you have received the wire the buyer cannot reverse it. Other than cash it's the safest form of payment. If I accepted cash I'd meet them at their bank and watch them withdrawal the cash from the teller that way you know the bills aren't counterfeit.....yeah I don't trust anyone!! Lol

And do NOT use Paypal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RRsDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2012, 02:16 PM   #6
springer
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Make sure the wire transfer is cash! Cons like to deposit counterfeit checks in your account and since it usually takes a couple weeks for the bank to determine the check is counterfeit, your watch will be long gone by then. I posted a thread here a while back regarding bank wire transfers with actual photos of what a transfer should look like on your bank statement after a cash transfer.

Here is my previous thread regarding bank wire cash transfers.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...t=wire+transer

Also, when selling, I always have the buyer give me a contact name at the bank where his wire transfer will occur. I further instruct the buyer that I will be calling the bank so the buyer should give the bank representative my name and let them know that I will be calling them. After the transfer, I can then call the bank representative and verify that the transfer occurred and was legitimate. Also, get the buyers full contact info and a place of employment and phone numbers. You can verify much of this info on google, which will help verify that everything is legitimate. Lastly, do not ship to any PO box or suite number unless you are 101% sure it is legitimate.

Also, I do not use paypal for any watch sales or watch purchase- for all the same reasons many don't use it!!!!!!!!!

jP

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote